ADVERTISEMENT

eRupption78 vs ukcats1988 NBA GM Draft Poll

Which team is better suited to win now and the long run?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

UKcats1988

Sophomore
Gold Member
Jun 3, 2013
Ukcats1988
Jimmy Butler G/F
Marc Gasol C
Jeff Teague G
Andre Iguodala F/G
Greg Monroe F/C
Danny Green G
Luol Deng F
Emmanuel Mudiay G
Myles Turner F
Marcin Gortat C
Nikola Mirotic F
Patty Mills G

Erruption78

Kyle Korver G
Jabari Parker F
Mike Conley G
Serge Ibaka F/C
Demarcus Cousins C
Gorgui Dieng C
Kevin Martin G
Marcus Smart G
Justice Winslow F
Markieff Morris F
Aaron Afflalo G
Jeff Green F

Last edited:
I did a rushed write up, thought this would be over by my vacation haha.

Starters

Jeff Teague- 2014-15 All Star, 7th in PER among point guards, 26 years old
Danny Green- Great defender, unreal 3pt shooter, knows his role and excels at it, 16.5 PER, 27 years old
Jimmy Butler- 2014-15 All Star, 2nd team All NBA Defense, 21.3 PER, 25 years old
Greg Monroe- 21.2 PER, 16 ppg, 10 rpg, 25 years old
Marc Gasol- First team All NBA, 2014-15 All Star, 21.7 PER, 30 years old

My starting lineup features unbelievable defense on the perimeter with Green and Butler. Marc Gasol is a former defensive player of the year and a top 2 center in the league. Monroe is a good rebounder and can score as well, he struggles to protect the rim but Gasol and my perimeter defense will help negate that. Jeff Teague flourished with the Hawks this year, I see him getting Danny Green a ton of open looks from the 3 point line. I believe my lineup will really click on both ends of the floor as a unit. At times I could even bring Green off the bench as the 6th man and place Andre at the 3 spot in the starting lineup if need be.

Reserves

Andre Iguodala F/G- 2015 Finals MVP, 31 years old
Nikola Mirotic F- 17.9 PER, First team
All Rookie, 24 years old
Marcin Gortat C- 18.2 PER, top 10 in FG%, EFG%, 13 ppg, 9 rpg, 31 years old
Luol Deng F- 15.5 PER, 14 ppg, 5 rpg, 30 years old.
Emmanuel Mudiay G- Long and athletic loaded with potential, 19 years old.
Patty Mills G- Great 3 point shooter off the bench. Injects a ton of energy when he's on the floor, 26 years old.
Myles Turner F/C- Great upside, nice length and size, lottery pick, 19 years old.

Overall my team has quality at each position, a lot of interchangeable parts on the wing and defensive versatility, a mix of enough youth under 30 and veteran leadership for me to contend now and the upcoming years. I wish I had gotten in earlier instead of picking my first 2 players around the 20th spot but oh well I should have stayed in from the start.

Starters:

PG -- Mike Conley (16 ppg, 5 apg, 3 rbg; 18.6 PER; previous All-Defensive 2nd Team; 27 years old)
SG -- Kyle Korver (12 ppg, 3 made 3-point FGs/game, 4 rbg, 3 apg; 49% from deep last season, 2015 All-Star; 34 years old)
SF -- Jabari Parker (12 ppg, 5 rbg, 14.6 PER; headed towards ROY before his injury; 20 years old)
PF -- Serge Ibaka (14 ppg, 8 rbg, 2.5 bpg, 16.6 PER; 2-time NBA blocks leader, 3-time All-Defensive 1st Team who was likely headed towards DPOY this year before his injury; 25 years old)
C -- DeMarcus Cousins (24 ppg, 13 rbg, ~2 bpg, 25.29 PER {highest among starting centers}; 2015 All-Star, 2nd Team All-NBA; 24 years old)

Love the balance my starting lineup can bring on both ends of the court. 3 sure-fire stars in Cousins, Parker, and Conley for years to come. One of the top-2 pure shooters in the game in Korver, as well as the best defender in the game at the 4-spot in Ibaka.

Cousins & Korver were both 1st-time All-Stars this year...I expect them to continue to be the best forms of themselves for the foreseeable future.

Korver & Conley will definitely bring a veteran stability to the backcourt to go along with my youthful frontcourt who are all in their prime (or soon to get there).

Can't see many frontcourts being able to score effectively against the Cousins/Ibaka combo. I believe I have the best defensive frontcourt in the league. Conley is no shabby defender in the backcourt, either.

Bench:

Marcus Smart (All-Rookie 2nd Team; stat sheet stuffer; 21 years old)
Arron Afflalo (18.2 ppg a year ago, his last full season; 29 years old)
Markieff Morris (15 ppg, 6 rbg; 15.8 PER; runner-up for 6th Man of the Year & Most Improved Player in 2014; 25 years old)
Kevin Martin (averaged ~20 ppg until his injury last year; ~40% from 3 in his career; 16.73 PER; 32 years old)
Gorgui Dieng (10 ppg, 8 rbg in 2015; 17.26 PER; ~2 bpg; walking double-double off the bench; NBA All-Rookie 2nd Team in 2014; poised for a breakout year in 2015-2016; 25 years old)
Justise Winslow (top-5 2015 draft pick? 19 years old)
Jeff Green (17 ppg, 4 rbg which would have been his best scoring year yet before being traded to Memphis mid-season; 28 years old)

Smart showed great promise in his rookie season, so I look for him to build off of that momentum going forward. Great defensive presence off the bench, as well.

Morris is a skilled big man who can play with his back to the basket or face you up. He can also hit from deep, creating some potential mismatches.

Kevin Martin can straight light it up, and I'll look for him to provide instant offense when he's in the game. He and Afflalo should provide for no drop off in scoring when they're out there. Both provided more veteran presence off the bench, as well.

Gorgui had as solid of production in his 2nd year as you could expect from a guy. He's a double-double waiting to happen who also has a knack for the defensive side of the game. I'd feel very comfortable putting him next to Boogie and letting Cousins slide to the 4 even.

Justise Winslow is the wildcard. Hoping he can be a Tony Allen/MKG-esque guy as most seem to be comparing him to. High motor, high basketball IQ guy who can rebound and has the handles to start the break allowing the bigs to leak down the court. Oh, and he could also be a lockdown defender. Any offense from him is a bonus.

Jeff Green is a very solid backup to Jabari. Still in his prime, brings some playoff experience and can play the 3 or 4. An athletic slasher who can run the floor, create mismatches, attack the rim and finish through contact.

Last edited:
I had fun in my first GM draft. Would love to do a legends one and/or one with actual salaries/salary cap.

Last edited:
Ukcats1988
Jimmy Butler G/F
Marc Gasol C
Jeff Teague G
Andre Iguodala F/G
Greg Monroe F/C
Danny Green G
Luol Deng F
Emmanuel Mudiay G
Myles Turner F
Marcin Gortat C
Nikola Mirotic F
Patty Mills G

Erruption78

Kyle Korver G
Jabari Parker F
Mike Conley G
Serge Ibaka F/C
Demarcus Cousins C
Gorgui Dieng C
Kevin Martin G
Marcus Smart G
Justice Winslow F
Markieff Morris F
Aaron Afflalo G
Jeff Green F

Gotta go with Ukcats1988. Deep roster of very good to good players, no lineup holes, and some nice versatility. Not enough shooting for my taste, but having Green (one of the top 3 and D guys) and Mirotic (stretch 4) helps. Again, very versatile roster - guys like Iggy, Gasol (can play another post player with him), Green (2 or 3), and even Mirotic (can play 3 in a pinch). But an older roster. Mudiary solid prospect, and Mirotic/Teague/Butler still younger. But that's what makes it close.

Erruption78 has a monster starting lineup that balances nicely - Cousins (C), Ibaka (PF), Parker (SF), Korver (SG), and Conley (PG - love his all around game). Skews slightly younger, especially with upside guys like Smart, Winslow (not a fan of his, but I get why people are), Parker, and the underrated Markieff. And Cousins/Ibaka still young.

Gotta go with Ukcats1988. Deep roster of very good to good players, no lineup holes, and some nice versatility. Not enough shooting for my taste, but having Green (one of the top 3 and D guys) and Mirotic (stretch 4) helps. Again, very versatile roster - guys like Iggy, Gasol (can play another post player with him), Green (2 or 3), and even Mirotic (can play 3 in a pinch). But an older roster. Mudiary solid prospect, and Mirotic/Teague/Butler still younger. But that's what makes it close.

Erruption78 has a monster starting lineup that balances nicely - Cousins (C), Ibaka (PF), Parker (SF), Korver (SG), and Conley (PG - love his all around game). Skews slightly younger, especially with upside guys like Smart, Winslow (not a fan of his, but I get why people are), Parker, and the underrated Markieff. And Cousins/Ibaka still young.

Yea I got in at pick 20 and 21 I think, so my goal was to make a well balanced roster. I think I've got a really nice team but I could have gotten more youth under 25 and taken one more 3 point shooter.

I think Markieff won't stay underrated for long...he's ready to break out. Parker will be a multiple-year All NBA-type player before it's said and done, IMHO.

Yea I got in at pick 20 and 21 I think, so my goal was to make a well balanced roster. I think I've got a really nice team but I could have gotten more youth under 25 and taken one more 3 point shooter.

Sorry to put you out, @UKcats1988...liked a lot of the guys you could put out there.

88's problem is that Teague, Gasol, Monroe and Green are all underrated. So is Jimmy Butler, but to a lesser extent. That's a hell of a squad to not pick until 20th. If those two teams actually played, I'd take his squad. As for the criteria of this contest, that's a close one. Depends on how you weigh now v future.

88's problem is that Teague, Gasol, Monroe and Green are all underrated. So is Jimmy Butler, but to a lesser extent. That's a hell of a squad to not pick until 20th. If those two teams actually played, I'd take his squad. As for the criteria of this contest, that's a close one. Depends on how you weigh now v future.

Who would you have voted for if the poll wasn't closed?

I'd have gone with the core of Boogie/Parker/Conley if forced to pick, just because I think there's more upside there long-term. Two potential franchise guys and a great two-way PG, which is really a wash with Teague.

Your team is better now, but I couldn't see that squad winning a championship. While eRupp's team is slightly further away, the upside is there.

i did vote for 78. but i am biased for cousins. he and parker could be a dominant one-two punch together for almost the whole ten years if not all.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT