ADVERTISEMENT

Emmert and Freshman Eligibility

I dont have time to read the article right this moment but if it is talking about making frosh ineligible again it doesnt surprise me. For one we all know that the NCAA will make rules that target UK. Wouldnt surprise me one bit to see them try to reinstate the freshman eligibility rule for two reasons (one already mentioned). Not only does it hurt us but it also screws the NBA. Basically they will be back to where they were back in the 90's (the NBA). Forced to take a shot on a kid based on speculation rather than being able to see the kid on the court against competition a little tougher than high school ball. I dont want it to directly hurt us but I am not opposed to the rule being brought back. What it will do is force the NBA to make a change in their rules. In the end I think we end up with a system like baseball (which the NBA does not want because once again it puts the onus on them). You are draft eligible your Sr year of high school. Should you choose to go to college you arent eligible to be drafted again until 3 years have passed. Should you not like your draft spot after year 3 you can choose to return your Sr year. Once again this puts ALL the responsibility on the NBA. Teams have to make sure a kid is going to sign if they draft him or face upper management when your 3rd pick of the draft decides he wants an education first or really wants to return and try to win a title his Sr year. The NBA will NEVER change things as it stands. All the pressure is on the colleges and college coaches right now and then that pressure shifts to the kid in deciding whether to declare or not. Should the rules change and the NBA not be allowed to use the one year of college as a tryout they will have to sh!& or get of the pot so to speak. Do you draft the kid who practiced at UK for a year based on speculation and what you saw in high school or do you draft the 3-4 year college guy instead? Honestly its probably all talk but I wold love for the NCAA to put the ball back in the NBAs court and force them to make a decision. The rule now as it stands is dumb. What does one year in college do for the kid or the university? We know it allows the NBA a full year of scouting but how does it benefit the colleges? There really is no benefit for the colleges and thats why Id like to see them force the NBA's hand on changing the draft eligibility rules.

I had been saying for a long time any UNC penalties will be minor. Got put down by a lot here for that opinion. I may have been wrong. Looks like there won't be ANY penalties. So, academics is a major focus and according to Emmert is a responsibility of the institution and not the NCAA. OK, that may be true. So, then the NCAA won't be able to ultimately decide Freshman eligibility and that will be their out.

P.S. I don't agree with the NCAA as if an institution cheats then how can they be accepted as part of the NCAA,

How does this clown still have a job? He will be the main reason the power conferences dump the NCAA, IMO.

ESPN and CBS would NEVER allow that to happen. The NCAA makes most of its revenue from the NCAA Basketball Tournament. Take the top players out of it and the product becomes far less valuable. So Mr. Emmert, the hypocrite, can spew all of this crap he wants, but it ain't happening and he knows it.

He needs to be turning his attention to the outright fraud that went on at UNC before he speaks on anything else!!:mad:

Of course freshman eligibility is a problem since Kentucky is winning with them. It wasn't before, though, when UNC was winning with OAD Marvin Williams, or Syracuse with OAD Carmelo Anthony, etc., etc. Leave it to the crybaby, living in the past B1G commissioner to be the one getting up in arms over it.

Nevermind the fact that "evil" Kentucky with all our "insufficiently serious" freshmen and sophomores brought the NCAA tournament some of it's best ratings in years this past season.

''The real question we need to address: Are students sufficiently serious about being students as well as athletes and are they sufficiently prepared to be successful as a student as well as an athlete?'' Emmert said.

Ummm... I think you need to be having that conversation with UNC, bruh.

Reactions: CatCrazyChuk
It sounds like Emmert want to cut college basketballs throat and watch it bleed to death. All making Freshmen ineligible will do is assure that College basketball fans will not get to see the very best basketball talent. He will just assure that all the best talent either goes to the D league or over seas.

IMO the best solution is to just get rid of Emmerts. He is an idiot.

I have posted on here several times that IMO it is time that college sports got rid of their pseudo claim of amateurism. Let these kid try out for the NBA and return to college if they do not receive a proper draft position. Heck I have never seen how just declaring for the draft some how makes a kid a pro. IMO money should have to change hands before a kid is declared a pro.

Reactions: Brando Mac
UK should just declare all players sophomore upon arriving on campus. After all that would be an academic matter and beyond the jurisdiction of the NCAA.

Reactions: brianpoe
ADVERTISEMENT