ADVERTISEMENT

Edwards' playing time

I'm just coming to say how much I set back and enjoyed the losses knowing Cal was going to lead us to the promised land and apologizing for being critical of any player development . His results speak loudly . You should always ride the BJ Boston's of the world without question . And no worry about 8 losses heading into the SECT .. never question CAL !!! You Bennie's !!

Last edited:
Edwards always had the "plus" of being low volume. That's a good thing when you have 3 dynamic guards. You don't want players taking too many shots from the 3 best players. Edwards is making shots in his handful of opportunities which is a big time bonus.

DJ, on the other hand, has been moving towards being a low volume player. He hasn't taken 10 or more shots in a game since late January. Reed, Dilly, and Reeves have been the center of mass for the offense in the last 1/3 of the season. DJ likely won't be the guy to carry us in a game going forward, but hopefully he will be ready to hit some big shots opportunity rings.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
Is anyone willing to admit that Cal sticking with this kid when everyone wanted him benched has helped our team?

Are you willing to admit that Cal has not been Kentucky good the last 3 or 4 years?

I'm just asking, because these threads keep popping up since we finished 2nd in the SEC. It's like we already won a title.

By now, this board should be totally unrecognizable. So many have been so very wrong. There should be plenty of shame to go around and lots of knew accounts because of it.

But, it's much more enjoyable now than it was a short while ago. Amazing what winning does. I'm sure glad we didn't fire Cal midway through the season. Lol! He was right all along, albeit with a few bonehead moves along the way but nevertheless, he was right and is the right person for the job. We're peaking at the right time and defense is coming along too. We proved last night that we can beat any team in the country. I actually think we have nearly as good of a chance to win the ncaa tourney as the sec tourney. We are built for the ncaa tournament. Hard to guard and hard to scout this team with short prep time and we're just a different team now than were were even a few weeks ago. All the pieces are coming together at the right time but Edwards may well be the biggest factor to us making a deep run. We'll see. Time to lace em' up tight and see how it all plays out, but I like our chances with this group.
No shortage of "fans" on here simply to gripe, criticize, and spout despair. It's become a bit of a cesspool, really.

Be careful posting positive comments though. Be careful defending your opinion. Be careful supporting Cal. Those things will get you reported by the softies on here, who really never make any points, just exist to bash you for being a "Cal-lover-boy".

Are you willing to admit that Cal has not been Kentucky good the last 3 or 4 years?

I'm just asking, because these threads keep popping up since we finished 2nd in the SEC. It's like we already won a title.
I'll admit that, yes. Are there any takes on here you've had that you're willing to admit you were wrong about?

Reactions: DDMatUK=NBA
No shortage of "fans" on here simply to gripe, criticize, and spout despair. It's become a bit of a cesspool, really.

Be careful posting positive comments though. Be careful defending your opinion. Be careful supporting Cal. Those things will get you reported by the softies on here, who really never make any points, just exist to bash you for being a "Cal-lover-boy".
Most here liked the Cal hire, and it worked out great for about 6 years. His successes have been far fewer in the last few years. I gave him a pass on the Covid season, even.

I want Cal to have success even though I think a change is needed as things currently stand. No one wants him to truly fail, though. If Cal can make a deep run with this team, then I'm back on board. He has turned the offense around with the help of his assistants. That's at least a start.

Most here liked the Cal hire, and it worked out great for about 6 years. His successes have been far fewer in the last few years. I gave him a pass on the Covid season, even.

I want Cal to have success even though I think a change is needed as things currently stand. No one wants him to truly fail, though. If Cal can make a deep run with this team, then I'm back on board. He has turned the offense around with the help of his assistants. That's at least a start.
Here's my stance: I'm not team "fire cal" and I'm not team "give him another extension". He's the Kentucky coach, for as long as he probably wants to be - aside from another actual poor season. So it is what it is - he's our coach, IF you're a Kentucky fan. Ain't no message board forum gonna change that fact...

But I'll say this, it's lazy and ignorant to bash Cal (or any team's coach) for losses, but automatically praise the players for wins in spite of the coach. That's just ridiculous.

I'll admit that, yes. Are there any takes on here you've had that you're willing to admit you were wrong about?

I'm sure I've had them, but I can't remember any off hand as of late. I wanted Cal to leave, and now I'm reconsidering. Redefined offense, reinvigorated NIL now that the fans can contribute, and I feel like he's going to start recruiting the portal with this extra money. Remember, almost this time last year Cal was telling players we didn't give guaranteed NIL. (Hunter Dickenson) Those days are over.

Is anyone willing to admit that Cal sticking with this kid when everyone wanted him benched has helped our team?
Just to be clear, Cal can’t or isn’t willing because of stubbornness, to coach at a high level. Edwards obviously has gotten much better. Whether that was because he just started playing better in the time he was allotted hence getting more time, or Cal’s stubbornness to keep playing him when he wasn’t giving us much, it doesn’t matter. I’m not giving Cal credit for anything. He has sort of stayed out of the way and let the boys play. That’s the important thing that has happened. I will give him a little credit for that.

• Haha
I'm sure I've had them, but I can't remember any off hand as of late. I wanted Cal to leave, and now I'm reconsidering. Redefined offense, reinvigorated NIL now that the fans can contribute, and I feel like he's going to start recruiting the portal with this extra money. Remember, almost this time last year Cal was telling players we didn't give guaranteed NIL. (Hunter Dickenson) Those days are over.
I still prefer that to be the major approach to NIL, missing Hunter didnt' necessarily hurt us that much - and if anything, those players tend to be an issue. Anyhow, if you have NIL in place, better take advantage of it. I guess I'm just a fan of how it was actually designed to work - Reed and Rob w/Donato's, DJ with Lexus and Cambells Soup, etc.

I really, really don't like the slimy "pay for play" scheme where you're getting a fat check to commit, rather than actually making money of your NIL

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
My favorite part is how we still haven’t made a Final Four or been a 1 seed in the tournament in 9 years, but people are still gloating about how great Cal is.

We are all having fun watching this team, but we haven’t done anything more than what most of us have come to expect over the past several decades.

Less, if I’m being honest. Second in the SEC and maybe a 3/4/5 seed? Don’t think we hang banners for that.

If we make a Final Four run I’ll be ecstatic. I’ll give Cal credit for pulling it together like he did in 2011 and 2014.

We still have work to do, so maybe less gloating until we actually win something? Just a thought. Deaf ears, I know.
This isn't the SEC of the 90s where it was Kentucky rampaging over a bunch of football schools. 2nd place in this SEC is nothing to sneeze at.

Reactions: Graham51
I'm just coming to say how much I set back and enjoyed the losses knowing Cal was going to lead us to the promised land and apologizing for being critical of any player development . His results speak loudly . You should always ride the BJ Boston's of the world without question . And no worry about 8 losses heading into the SECT .. never question CAL !!! You Bennie's !!
As long as you understand. I’ll let you slide.

How do we know that he wouldn’t have developed if Cal built the system around the Big 3 from the get go? More than likely, Edwards would have had a higher percentage of minutes playing in the same lineups as Reed and Dilly for the entirety of the season.

13-5 in probably the 2nd toughest conference in America with a fully healthy team for like 2 games is "awful"? Lol ok
Yea it is. You Cal slurpers have low standards and it has been obvious for a long time. UK should win the SEC 3 out of 4 years. The regular season titles actually means something to most of us. The tournament is just a money grab. Because we constantly rely on freshmen we give 2-3 conference games away every year. Go root for Fla State.

Yea it is. You Cal slurpers have low standards and it has been obvious for a long time. UK should win the SEC 3 out of 4 years. The regular season titles actually means something to most of us. The tournament is just a money grab. Because we constantly rely on freshmen we give 2-3 conference games away every year. Go root for Fla State.
Cal slurper? Lol right. Because I don't think a 23-8 season and beating 5,6,7, and 8 in the NET is an "awful season" I guess I'm a Cal slurper lol

I cringed when Edwards entered game. Now I cringe when he leaves. Kid has really grown in a few months. He's becoming a star now..

Nope, he's coming on now, but there's no way he wouldn't have come along just as quickly coming off the bench, and we might have won a couple more games if we had started different guys.

Cal slurper? Lol right. Because I don't think a 23-8 season and beating 5,6,7, and 8 in the NET is an "awful season" I guess I'm a Cal slurper lol
How happy are you now young buck? We have won 1 SECT game since 2019. But you just celebrate our 2nd place finish and watch our idiot coach make fools out of you and the rest of the slurpers. Unreal.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT