ADVERTISEMENT

Eagles concert in Lexington

Feb 5, 2003
Does anyone plan on going?

Does anyone know if they have been sounding/playing good during their tour?

Trying to decide to go or not.

Reminds me of a Jeff Foxworthy comedy routine. (majorly paraphrased)

***You know you're getting old when you go to an Eagles concert and 2 minutes into the concert you start sniffing......"I know what that smell is.....it's Bengay.....somebody snuck Bengay in here." Guys around you are passing around a thermos....."It's Metamucil, take a hit and pass it down."***

Last edited:
Does anyone plan on going?

Does anyone know if they have been sounding/playing good during their tour?

Trying to decide to go or not.

No exposure to this tour - but saw them in Yum Center a couple years back and they were phenomenal - voices strong and very tight as a band.

If you are a fan you will not be disappointed - go.

If it is the History of the Eagles tour, and you like the Eagles, then you should go. Wife & I went last fall here in Raleigh and enjoyed it.

Saw the Eagles at the Orange Bowl in Miami in 1978 or 1979. Never felt the urge to see them again.

Reminds me of a Jeff Foxworthy comedy routine. (majorly paraphrased)

***You know you're getting old when you go to an Eagles concert and 2 minutes into the concert you start sniffing......"I know what that smell is.....it's Bengay.....somebody snuck Bengay in here." Guys around you are passing around a thermos....."It's Metamucil, take a hit and pass it down."***
What's hilarious is that people who listen to sj $$ genre of music that shouldn't even be classified as music would knock a group like the Eagles who are one of the greatest of all time. ..

Anyone that went have a review? The Lexington newspaper mentioned that the band had stipulated in their contract with the Lexington Center that air-conditioning would not be running in the lower bowl during the show until the temperature was "uncomfortable". Evidently they turned it on after intermission but not before lots of fans were hot, hot, hot!

It was hotter than a whorehouse on nickel day in Rupp for the concert. I didn't know that was intentional. F-you, Glenn Frey for that. As for the music, they were very good and put on a just over three hour show. Pretty good for a bunch of guys in their late 60's.

The first half of the show featured their older more acoustic material and even some lesser known songs. Original guitarist, Bernie Leadon played in for this set and the encores. The band had ordered security to clamp down on anyone using their phones (texting was even discouraged) or even dancing. I saw them tell several people to sit down and stop dancing or leave. The audience which was mostly aged 35 and up generally complied. At the end of this set they took about a 15 minute break.

When they came back, Frey (who was the M.C. for most of the show) said it was time to rock a little (as their later 70's music had less country roots and more rock). The star of the second act was clearly Joe Walsh. The band even played three of his solo hits which were from the same general period as The Long Run. All the other band members solo efforts were ignored as well as the two most recent Eagles albums (except one song that let bassist Timothy B Schmitt lead on vocals for the only time in the show). When they played "Take it to the Limit", they acknowledged ailing Randy Meisner whose vocal tract on that song was his signature with the band. The only current or former member who was not mentioned was Don Felder (lead guitarist). Apparently, the money feud between Felder and Henly/Frey is alive and well.

The band still sounds great but they do look much older. For someone like me, who had never seen The Eagles it was well worth the money. Here is the H-L's review and the set list from the show:

http://www.kentucky.com/2015/07/26/3960411/eagles-deliver-ageless-set-of.html

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/eagles/2015/rupp-arena-lexington-ky-33f6185d.html

Last edited:
What's hilarious is that people who listen to sj $$ genre of music that shouldn't even be classified as music would knock a group like the Eagles who are one of the greatest of all time. ..

It's soft radio rock for old white people. They're great musicians and I won't knock their talent, but I prefer something with a little more crunch in the guitars and I like my tempos around 200 BPM.

My 70-year-old parents are going to this show, though. They're super stoked.

Reactions: DaBossIsBack
They were a great band in the 70's when I was in my 20's. I went to the concert Saturday night and enjoyed hearing them again.

Reactions: 55wildcat
I like the Eagles. But when it comes to classic rock I usually go through stages where I love it followed by stages where I don't ever wanna hear it again. There's a couple songs (not Eagles) that if I never heard them again, it wouldn't bother me...but some people call them all time greats.

It's soft radio rock for old white people. They're great musicians and I won't knock their talent, but I prefer something with a little more crunch in the guitars and I like my tempos around 200 BPM.

My 70-year-old parents are going to this show, though. They're super stoked.
Someone with slayer in their avatar is immediately discredited from discussing music.

Sorry that you don't like bands that, were they to mess up a few notes live, you could actually tell.

Reactions: P19978
All things considered I thought they put on a great show and I loved how they structured the show as well. However, I will never go to another Eagles concert for a couple reasons. The air conditioning debacle was absolutely ridiculous and I simply to do get the point. If I wanted to be miserably hot then I would go to an outdoor concert. Rupp had sold out of bottled water before the concert even started. For the amount of money we paid to see them play I would think that they should have a little more respect for the fans. Probably not as big of a deal to some in that crowd but it is 2015 and I want to be able to take pictures and videos of the show. They are not doing anything groundbreaking that needs to be secret to keep future concert attendees in the dark that would necessitate no cameras. I am starting to think the Dude had it right.

Love the band but would really like them to realize the error of their ways and put Felder back in the lineup.

I'd pay big to see that.

Someone with slayer in their avatar is immediately discredited from discussing music.

Sorry that you don't like bands that, were they to mess up a few notes live, you could actually tell.

Lol. So someone with a Slayer avatar is immediately discredited from discussing music with adult contemporary listeners. Got it.

Metal guitarists and drummers can play circles around your run of the mill rock, country and grunge bands.

You can rip on metal vocals all day and I'll likely agree with you, but to insult metal musicianship shows your lack of knowledge, not mine.

What does messing up have to do with anything?

Lol. So someone with a Slayer avatar is immediately discredited from discussing music with adult contemporary listeners. Got it.

Metal guitarists and drummers can play circles around your run of the mill rock, country and grunge bands.

You can rip on metal vocals all day and I'll likely agree with you, but to insult metal musicianship shows your lack of knowledge, not mine.

Not one metal guitarist made Rolling Stone's top 20 guitarists list (unless you try to claim Led Zeppelin was metal). Joe Walsh of the Eagles made the mid-50's on the list. Metal bands play fast but not necessarily great. Don't get me wrong, I like some metal guitarists like Randy Rhoads and Tony Iommi.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/100-greatest-guitarists-20111123/jimi-hendrix-20120705

Last edited:
Reactions: MegaBlue05
Not one metal guitarist made Rolling Stone's top 20 guitarists list (unless you try to claim Led Zeppelin was metal). Joe Walsh of the Eagles made the mid-50's on the list. Metal bands play fast but not necessarily great. Don't get me wrong, I like some metal guitarists like Randy Rhoads and Tony Iommi.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/100-greatest-guitarists-20111123/jimi-hendrix-20120705

Rolling Stone and metal have never, ever been friends. Iommi was 25th, Rhoades was in the 30s, Tom Morello was 40th and James Hetfield was 87th. I noticed there's very few people who were big after about 1990 on that list.

I don't know RS's criteria because Hetfield is one of the best rhythm players to ever live, but doesn't play leads. And the fact Kurt Cobain is even on that list when Dave Mustaine (Megadeth), Alex Skolnick (Testamanet), Gary Holt (Exodus/Slayer), either K.K. Downing or Glenn Tipton (both Judas Priest) among many others aren't is insane.

I know it's a matter of taste. I just hate the disrespect metal gets from fans of radio rock. It's not an easily palatable genre that follows the verse/chorus/verse/chorus/verse/chorus/end in 3:30 formula most music does. The vocals aren't the cleanest. The tempos are too fast. I get that. It's just been a peeve of mine.

And Eagles fans getting snobby (not you) about music is like a beer snob who drinks Bud Light.

Don Henley is the most greedy sob to ever strum a guitar. No surprise that he would object to video.

Don Henley is the most greedy sob to ever strum a guitar. No surprise that he would object to video.
The video thing was a red flag for me. I was always lukewarm about them but was thinking of going to the show for sentimental reasons. When I heard about the no video or audio recording my first thought was that they were stinking it up and it was a money tour. I've heard several stories about other acts having back up singers singing lead, front men that couldn't stay on their feet through the show, etc. I'm glad I was wrong.

“Those Shoes” is my favorite Eagles song. I can't believe they close the show with "Desparado"

Wife and I saw Pat Benatar in the Brown Theater in front of about 1800 fans a couple of weeks ago and it was "far out!". I have always like her but like her more now.. Her husband Neil Geraldo is quite an accomplished guitar player. He also played with Rick Derringer and Rick Springfield and he is still working on several things.

I can't believe Mrs. Benatar (stage Name) is 61. She is still lovely. They seem like good down to Earth people too I was kind of surprised by that.

If you have never been to the Brown it is nice place to see a show if you like that kind of setting. I will probably skip the Eagles since their tickets are probably a couple of hundred bucks. Maybe Def Lepard though in the "Dumb" Center.

e3a6ac536abb30e8decbe5696a2381a8.jpg

Reactions: Get Bucket$
ADVERTISEMENT