ADVERTISEMENT

Dy'Shawn Mobley Pre Season All American

Chuckinden

All-American
Jun 12, 2006
Great to see the former Cat doing well. Over 1500 yds last year and 20 tds.

I wish he had stayed here and got a chance to show what he could do.

Reactions: TuckyFan
I don't think Stoops gave him much choice. Pretty sure he was told it would be in his best interest to leave. Bummed me out too, as I thought his potential was through the roof, but I'm glad he is doing well.

Coach Scott raved about him at the end of 2013. Stoops praised him all season. Have not heard of what you claim.

Simple...when he is the main/only option and is given the freedom to pick his holes he is great...butd when in a "highly schemed" offense where he has to run to a particular hole and actually BLOCK for others he is LESS than great so not a fit for the "Air Raid".

Reactions: optimus-blue
My remembrance of Mobley was how great he was as a young athlete on UK's special teams. He was hard to handle! With the EKU film of him carrying the ball a bunch and the UK film of him creating havoc on special teams, I can see Mobley playing in the league.

thought i remember stoops wanting him to switch to D. he said several times if the O wouldn't use him then he would. i think that may have been the decider.

Mobley himself admitted he had decided to transfer before 2013 season was even over. He wanted to be a feature back with more carries. And that was not going to happen with boom and Horton and heard joining the team. Not the coaches fault, not his fault. Worked out best for everybody. Some fans are going to have to get used to what happens when you have talent. Players leave teams all the time. Now, the players we see leave are going to be good, but that's ok because the players that stay are better.

Reactions: jnewc2
Seems he would have done well with Dawson's offense. We will see him in CWS again this year. I wonder where he would fall on our current depth chart.

Seems he would have done well with Dawson's offense. We will see him in CWS again this year. I wonder where he would fall on our current depth chart.

Very physical and talented back but he had hands of stone, so he just didn't fit into Brown's offense, probably would not have factored into Dawson's either.

Glad to see him doing well and I hope he makes it to the league.

Reactions: jnewc2
I'm proud of Mobley and wish him the best. That being said, EKU isn't too high on my praise list due to the events that have transpired there recently. I hope we lay the wood to them this yr and nobody gains a yd against us......let alone score. I want to cleanly demoralize them this yr......

Coach Scott raved about him at the end of 2013. Stoops praised him all season. Have not heard of what you claim.
As said above, Stoops told a guy who was a rb that he wanted him to switch to defense. Clearly, if Stoops wanted a guy like this to switch, he did not value his talent on the offensive side of the ball. I guess you could say he gave him a choice, but it was either become a linebacker, ride the bench, or leave. The writing was on the wall, and while I'm very happy with Stoops overall assessment of talent at UK, not wanting Mobely as a rb, IMO, was one of his misses.

Mobley best back UK had in20 years at least. Browns failure to utilize him because he didn't "fit" a classic case of not making most of talent available. Stoops seemed upset somewhat that he not used but had promised Brown free rein thus, he said if O won't use him D will.

As said above, Stoops told a guy who was a rb that he wanted him to switch to defense. Clearly, if Stoops wanted a guy like this to switch, he did not value his talent on the offensive side of the ball. I guess you could say he gave him a choice, but it was either become a linebacker, ride the bench, or leave. The writing was on the wall, and while I'm very happy with Stoops overall assessment of talent at UK, not wanting Mobely as a rb, IMO, was one of his misses.

I have never heard Stoops say this about Mobley. I do recall him praising DM for playing STs with a passion, even though others were in front of him at RB. And, recall Stoops saying Mobley would be a stud on defense. But, I do not recall hearing Stoops say he have DM a choice between leaving and playing defense.

Great to see the former Cat doing well. Over 1500 yds last year and 20 tds.

I wish he had stayed here and got a chance to show what he could do.
I join you in wishing Dyshaun Mobley well. I disagree with your last statement. Mobley had chances to show what he could do in Lexington. He was a heck of a special teams player, and a decent SEC running back. He decided to transfer. The coaches wanted him back, but this was his decision. I agree with Caveman. Some people still insist Stoops gave Mobley an ultimatum to move to defense, but there is no evidence. So that rumor goes onto the same scrap heap as so many other unproven rumors. In my experience, 90% of these rumors turn out false. Mobley is gone. He has moved forward, more power to him, and so should our fans.

Last edited:
Mobley best back UK had in20 years at least. Browns failure to utilize him because he didn't "fit" a classic case of not making most of talent available. Stoops seemed upset somewhat that he not used but had promised Brown free rein thus, he said if O won't use him D will.

I'm not sure if you're serious or not but I'm gonna respond anyways. I like Mobley too and wish him luck but he is nowhere near the best back in UK in 20 years. He wouldn't have been the best back on this team this year. If he had stayed, Boom would be starting back. He would be battling Kemp for playing time as 2nd back. He would probably beat out Horton. But thats it. He would be splitting time as 2nd back with Kemp...if he were lucky.

Just because he is playing good on the FCS level does not mean he was that great of a FBS back...especially in the SEC.

Last edited:
Reactions: rudd1 and jnewc2
Hope Dy'Shawn has another stellar year for EKU. He was a standout for CATS special team. He was given a choice to switch to defense for CATS.

I have never heard Stoops say this about Mobley. I do recall him praising DM for playing STs with a passion, even though others were in front of him at RB. And, recall Stoops saying Mobley would be a stud on defense. But, I do not recall hearing Stoops say he have DM a choice between leaving and playing defense.
It's because Stoops didn't say it. Stoops said, if he (Mobley) isn't going to get the ball, then I want him on defense.

I join you in wishing Dyshaun Mobley well. I disagree with your last statement. Mobley had chances to show what he could do in Lexington. He was a heck of a special teams player, and a decent SEC running back. He decided to transfer. The coaches wanted him back, but this was his decision. I agree with Caveman. Some people still insist Stoops gave Mobley an ultimatum to move to defense, but there is no evidence. So that rumor goes onto the same scrap heap as so many other unproven rumors. In my experience, 90% of these rumors turn out false. Mobley is gone. He has moved forward, more power to him, and so should our fans.
I can't say he had the chances you speak of unless it was just in practice. Who knows what he could do with another year of growth and prep.

Also, I have heard from a good source that Stoops "favors" his own recruits and it's an uphill battle for those he inherited. I have heard that about other head coaches too and I can understand that philosophy.

Also, I have heard from a good source that Stoops "favors" his own recruits and it's an uphill battle for those he inherited. I have heard that about other head coaches too and I can understand that philosophy.

In spite of the fact that his own recruits a still having issues working their way into starting jobs? Towles at QB, basically the entire OL, both corners, all starting LBs until the final 3 games where Flanagan moved in, Most of the D line. Even Demarco Robinson at WR. All of these are Joker's recruits. It's hard to look at this and say Stoops prefers his recruits over upper classmen. If anything this has to go down as Stoops' last item that he is unproven in. He's recruited way beyond the norm here so it is time for his recruits to start winning more of the playing time than they are.

He was tough on special teams, I always thought he would have made a great linebacker!

I went to the same HS as Mobley and was friends with his head coach at Powell. I also talked several times to his legal guardian who lives in Powell. Mobley was told he was being switched to LB after 2013. IMO DM was a SEC RB but I believe he could of been all SEC at LB. his dream was to play RB and you only get 4 years to do this so I understand why he left UK.

Count me as one who believes that Mobley wanted to play RB so he left so he could.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT