ADVERTISEMENT

Dupree All But Certain For Top 10

I'm so glad Bud Dupree transformed into such an amazing player. I would love to see him go in to top 10. I really think this will help in recruiting and show that Kentucky boys can be a factor in the Draft. I can't wait until the day that we a producing 1st and 2nd round guys every year in the draft. Stoops and company I believe can get us to that level!

While Bud certainly may jump up a spot or two, he's not assured a top 10. The other day on the NFL network they were talking about how deep the WR class is and how some teams may pass on a WR in the first rd because they could find a great prospect later on.........then they mentioned that something like this could happen with the OLB/DE position as well.

I personally think Bud would be awesome for Atlanta at #8 though.

Wait. Joker moved him to defense. The guy can get some credit every once in a while. Good grief.

Yeah, OK, credit Joker for identifying Bud & signing him. The reason Joker was fired from UK and is now unemployed from college football is that Bud is about the only draftable recruit he signed during his 3 years.

I mean, seriously when you look at UK's draft numbers over the last few years our win/loss record should not be surprising.

I guess Darren Miller has an outside shot at a last round pick.

Okay. Fair enough. And credit to the level of draft-ability in Bud. If you are only going have 1 - how about making it a Top 10 draft pick?

Patrick Towles will be drafted when all is said and done most likely.

Cobb & Larry Warford were not 1st round picks, but have thus far shown that they should have been

Stoops did a great job of showcasing Bud's versatility by moving him around. Bud would have been drafted regardless of coach, but I think Stoops and Elliot helped his stock with their scheme.

Everything I have seen today has Bud going at # 8 to the Falcons. I believe 1 or 2 had him to the saints at # 13. He is from Georgia, so the Falcons would be great for him !

Looks like Bud is going to fall a bit. Hopefully someone takes him soon.

Looks like the football geniuses over at KSR have taken another gigantic hit. Feel bad for Bud, though.

Spica Orbit

Looks like the football geniuses over at KSR have taken another gigantic hit. Feel bad for Bud, though.

Spica Orbit

Uhh, ok. Bud has been shown as 15th on the big board all night. Obviously teams are going to gamble. KSR said they heard he could go as high as 8th. At the end of the day, he's gonna get drafted, and I'd rather see him on a good team.

Sadly, this is another case of what happens when you're a Kentucky football player, you get overlooked, under-appreciated and disrespected if you're actually a legitimate player because of our reputation as a "basketball" school.

Stevie Johnson, Wesley Woodyard, Avery Williamson, Jacob Tamme, Corey Peters, Tim Masthay, Danny Trevathan, Randall Cobb (heck even Chris Matthews who was a play away from being the MVP of the SUPER BOWL) the list goes on and on and on.

These are all guys who suffered on draft day from what we might call the "Kentucky basketball effect". They are guys that would be first-round picks if they came from a school besides Kentucky, yet because they came from a basketball school they end up being drafted in the 5th or 6th round, yet get to the NFL and play not only better, but SIGNIFICANTLY better than those highly-drafted guys from Oklahoma and Texas and Alabama.

Randall Cobb was one of the best players in the nation (maybe THE best) and one of the best playmakers in the history of the SEC (yes it's true) and is now a pro bowl wide receiver, yet because he played at a basketball school he dropped all the way to the second round...think about that, the best player in the history of an entire program and one of the best players in the history of the SEC dropping to THE SECOND ROUND..that NEVER, ever would have happened had he played at a Florida or Alabama).

Sadly, when these owners and GM's see Bud Dupree and Randall Cobb and Stevie Johnson and Corey Peters and Danny Trevathan on the list and see Kentucky beside their names, they think "basketball school" and "soft" and immediately move their eyes elsewhere to guys with USC and Clemson beside their names. I'm not saying the "basketball school" is the sole factor in the reason these guys drop, but you're kidding yourself if you don't think it hurts these guys reputations as draft prospects when they're comparing Kentucky football players against guys from Alabama and Miami. If you were drafting who would you rather take? A guy from Duke or Kansas or Kentucky or a guy from a place that doesn't have that reputation as a basketball school (and be honest with yourself).

It's part of the price we pay for being a "basketball" school. Players like Randall Cobb and Bud Dupree are viewed as illegitimate football players by many, until they get to the NFL and play better than those guys from Alabama and Florida.

I did find it interesting that the draft analysts criticized our coaching staff for not utilizing Dupree to his potential. I think most of us had similar thoughts most of this season when watching our defensive line (with two NFL players) get thrashed and pushed around time after time because we seemed to get out-schemed by other teams' coaching staffs.

If you'll notice, Kentucky football players are rarely ever over-drafted, instead, because we're a basketball school, they're most always under-drafted.

Also, if you're wondering why my statements strike such a deep emotional chord within you and make you mad and defensive, there's a reason. It's because deep down inside you know it's true. You know it's true that Kentucky's reputation as a basketball school hurts the football program (whether you want to admit it or not).

If you knew my statements were "crazy" and "ridiculous" you wouldn't get so mad and defensive and they wouldn't strike such a deep emotional chord within you.

People get mad and defensive many times when deep down inside they know something is true (or has a lot of truth) yet they don't want to admit it or don't know how to argue it so instead they get emotional and yell things like "you're an idiot" "you're a troll" etc, etc. You all know what I'm talking about. We see it all the time on this board when someone has the courage to go against the flow of popular opinion on this board (which is pretty ridiculous on most days) and finally speak some truth.

In their eyes this program just went 10-2 last year and deserves no criticism.

When I see people get emotional and defensive and start yelling troll I know I've brought up a topic with a lot of truth to it. If it was as silly as they made it out to be they wouldn't feel the urge to start screaming.

If a "troll" is someone who has the courage to go against popular opinion and speak the truth without worry of the backlash then label me a troll every day of the week and I'll wear the badge with honor. On this board, from what I've seen over the year's, when you're labeled a troll it means you're speaking the cold, hard truth without fear of retaliation. I have nothing but respect for the people that love this program and speak the truth and have to endure these clowns that have no mind of themselves labeling them a "troll".

I'll take the "troll" label as a compliment. If I was really such a "troll" you wouldn't feel the need to analyze my post and respond to it. I don't know about you, but if I see a "troll" I ignore them, I don't get worked up and defensive.

Who would you consider to be the troll in this situation..the guy that points out the flaws in a struggling program, or the guy that endlessly praises the struggling program?

I think outside of the Kentucky fanbase they'd call the second guy the troll. I know there are a lot of smart people on here, but just try not to let your emotions cloud your judgment. Look at the numbers and the facts, they don't lie I promise you. Don't let your emotions from being a UK fan guide how you view the success and failure of this program. Look at this program's success (or lack thereof) like a guy in California or New York would view a 2-10 or 5-7 Kentucky football team.

Last edited:
Sadly, this is another case of what happens when you're a Kentucky football player, you get overlooked, under-appreciated and disrespected if you're actually a legitimate player because of our reputation as a "basketball" school.

Randall Cobb was one of the best players in the nation and is now a pro bowl wide receiver, yet because he played at a basketball school he dropped all the way to the second round (which NEVER would have happened had he played at a Florida or Alabama).

Sadly, when these owners and GM's see Bud Dupree on the list and see Kentucky beside his name, they immediately move their eyes elsewhere.

It's part of the price we pay for being a "basketball" school. Players like Randall Cobb and Bud Dupree are viewed as soft and not real football players.

Give me a break, what a terrible take...as usual.

Your trolling on the b-ball forum this season was not fooling me and the others that know you are a football only basketball hating UK fan.

Randall Cobb was one of the best players in the nation and is now a pro bowl wide receiver, yet because he played at a basketball school he dropped all the way to the second round (which NEVER would have happened had he played at a Florida or Alabama).

Sadly, when these owners and GM's see Bud Dupree on the list and see Kentucky beside his name, they immediately move their eyes elsewhere.

It's part of the price we pay for being a "basketball" school. Players like Randall Cobb and Bud Dupree are viewed as soft and not real football players.
---
No, teams just draft for their needs. NFL teams couldn't care less where the talent comes from, otherwise, you wouldn't see players from small schools ever get drafted.

Spica Orbit

I'm not sure if you're just long winded or a troll. Someone help me out here.

He's a troll. He hates UK basketball. I'm not sure what he really feels about UK football as he posts negative crap a lot about that too. He blames all of UK footballs issues on the bball team. He actually posted some on the b-ball board "pretending" to be a fan near the end of b-ball season, hoping UK would lose. They did, and oh he is in heaven.

Sadly, when these owners and GM's see Bud Dupree and Randall Cobb on the list and see Kentucky beside their names, they think "basketball school" and "soft" and immediately move their eyes elsewhere to guys with USC and Clemson beside their names.

It's part of the price we pay for being a "basketball" school. Players like Randall Cobb and Bud Dupree are viewed as illegitimate football players by many, until they get to the NFL and play better than those guys from Alabama and Florida.

I did find it interesting that the draft analysts criticized our coaching staff for not utilizing Dupree to his potential. I think most of us had similar thoughts most of this season when watching our defensive line (with two NFL players) get thrashed and pushed around time after time because we seemed to get out-schemed by other teams' coaching staffs.

If you'll notice, Kentucky football players are rarely ever over-drafted, instead, because we're a basketball school, they're most always under-drafted.

It's time for you to GTFO, Mrs. Phillips. You still teaching at Georgetown, or are you in Cleveland now?

Reactions: THE_OAK
I'm not sure going in the first round of a 7 round draft would constitute as being 'overlooked'. He was what, the third rush end off the board? I mean really, you're reaching pretty far if you think that's a slight. After the Saints picked at 13, no one had a real need for Bud's position. That's why he lasted as long as he did.

His combine numbers are great, but they don't match his numbers on the field. At times he just disappears on the field.
It ain't easy being the only draftable talent of 11 defenders on the field. teams scheme their entire offense & blocking schemes around making Bud do nothing with little fear of the other defenders stopping them.

Sadly, when these owners and GM's see Bud Dupree and Randall Cobb on the list and see Kentucky beside their names, they think "basketball school" and "soft" and immediately move their eyes elsewhere to guys with USC and Clemson beside their names.

Actually, I can't think that any of this holds true. For Cobb and Dupree, they were both undersized a bit coming out of college playing the position they are playing. And don't let anything fool you, Cobb is a great athlete but he does have an all pro QB, and 2 other great WR's to stretch the field. This is a case of him falling into a perfect spot with the Packers. Remember early in the offseason, when Cobb was a FA and the Chiefs were interested. No UK fan that didn't wear a Chiefs Jersey wanted that to happen. Why? Because he would likely fall into obscurity. He was also a flex player at UK. WR, RB, QB sometimes. That's what these GM's are looking at. Not that he's a basketball school. Jack of all trade guys sometimes don't get the proper looks. same as how an ATH in high school will get lower ranked bc he doesn't have a true position.

Bud falls in the same range. Low numbers bc of lack of talent around him, little undersized for his position and asked to do a lot of things, but he fell to a great franchise that I think will utilize him better than most. There are a thousand stories of guys going late from big schools, small schools, just like guys going early from big schools, little schools. Big Ben went first round, Brady went sixth. One was from a small MAC school, the other played at Michigan.

You want to know why UK guys are mostly underdrafted....lack of talent surrounding them. GM's do not give a flip where you come from. hey look at the individual not the school. I serisouly can't believe you think a GM would look at a player and go "UK?? That's a basketball school. No good football player would come from there. Nope."

Some teams have an angel on their shoulder, ie. the Steelers and the Patriots. Bud falls to the Steelers at 22, and the Patriots get the big DT Brown from Texas with the 32nd and final 1st rd. pick.
This is a fantastic scenario for both Bud and the Steelers, and Brown and the Patriots.

Reactions: brianpoe
Bud falls in the same range. Low numbers bc of lack of talent around him, little undersized for his position and asked to do a lot of things, but he fell to a great franchise that I think will utilize him better than most.

6-4 269 is far from undersized at OLB in a 3-4 which is what is played at UK and what he will continue to play for the Steelers. Now being a first round talent surrounded by lesser talent allowed teams to scheme him and double him to keep his impact down but there's little doubt he fell into an absolute perfect situation in Pittsburgh.

Reactions: Chai Tea
Sadly, this is another case of what happens when you're a Kentucky football player

Stopped reading after that comment. You are by far the worst poster on this forum, I don't know why the mods on here don't ban you for being a troll. Every post you make, makes me think it's the single dumbest post I have ever read on here, until I read your newest post. Seriously do everyone on this site a HUGE favor and please stop posting here.

Bud had a tremendous career at UK...but fans need to be fair. Bud was fairly easy to run against which I think dropped him. Guys like Fowler were much stronger vs. the run and I think that played into his small drop in draft.

I wish he'd gone higher, and probably should have. When it was obvious he was going to fall until later in the 1st I was wishing the Bronco's would get him. They might very well have taken him if Pittsburgh hadn't.

Still, congrats to Bud! He's a first round pick to one of the better organizations in the NFL.

I disagree with a lot of the guys post. First, I don't think Randall Cobb was the best player to ever play at UK. Second, I think a lot of our players are drafted lower because it is harder to look as good as players on better teams. Having said that, I really get irritated by everyone saying "troll" every time a post doesn't say that all of our players are the best in the world. In my view, you people are the real "trolls."

His combine numbers are great, but they don't match his numbers on the field. At times he just disappears on the field.
2nd all time at UK in sacks, while spending half of his time playing out in space and off the LOS...and playing 2-3 years with non power 5 talent around him.

He put up great numbers with having to do all the different things he was asked.

Bud had a tremendous career at UK...but fans need to be fair. Bud was fairly easy to run against which I think dropped him. Guys like Fowler were much stronger vs. the run and I think that played into his small drop in draft.
If that were the case, Vic Beasley wouldn't have went 8th.

ADVERTISEMENT