ADVERTISEMENT

Duke vs. UK 2015 recruiting classes

Pretty simple to me-

I think Skal will be the #1 pick. Cal has done very well with bigs.

I think Ingram is being overrated as an instant star. He'll struggle with the physicality of the college game, much like Tayshaun and Justin Jackson did at first.

Nobody has Murray at 3. Gary Parrish of CBS said he would have him 3rd, right now, but most drafts have him somewhere in the lottery or haven't updated to include him at all.

I like Gary Parrish, but his mock draft opinions, like many of these sites, are about as useful as our own predictions.

Sports Illustrated has Murray going lottery at #12, and Parish has Murray going t#2. Anyone who goes lottery is really, really good, and is gonna get paid.

Apparently ESPN is giving no ranking boost from Mulder for some reason

Nobody has Murray at 3. Gary Parrish of CBS said he would have him 3rd, right now, but most drafts have him somewhere in the lottery or haven't updated to include him at all.

I like Gary Parrish, but his mock draft opinions, like many of these sites, are about as useful as our own predictions.
Totally disagree with you. Murray has the talent to be taken #3 in the draft. Just wait till you see him play under Cal to make your judgement.

Managing how you recruit is something that I think will really become interesting for duke next season. Now that ratface has jumped into what Cal has been doing the last 6 years, he will need to manage who he loses each year with how many he will have coming in.
Next year could be the first time it becomes a little tougher on the recruiting trail. I know it appears he leads for tatum and Giles, but this could create team issues next year. Lets say thorton, Kennard, allen, Obi and jeter and jones are all back next year. that is 6 returnees who will all expect to play next year, especially if they all log major minutes this year. Guys will have to sit that have normally played. I think that is one thing that does not get talked about with Coach Cal. All the media heads talk about how he starts with a new team each year, but they don't about the work that goes into figuring out who to recruit, what positions, how many players to recruit at each position. All to field the ideal team from year to year. Ratface will start to see how difficult this can be.

Grayson Allen looked really, really good towards the end of the year, and in the tourney. But I think Kennard's gonna be the real deal.

Duke should shoot lights out this season with Allen, Kennard, Jones, and Ingram on the wings.

Duke's main weakness is going to be their usual weakness: pedestrian big men.

Most times it costs them (like in 2011-2014), but sometimes they overcome it (2010).

Would love this, but all sensible reports out of Duke is that Obi is not ready to contribute offensively. Poy is light years beyond him. Your friend might be overly optimistic.

Murray was good in that game. But the idea that he is the second best recruit seems a bit much; I haven't seen a single scout or recruiting service rank him anywhere near that high, not even since the reclassification. This feels like "shiney new toy" syndrome.

Agree that Jeter will not be a OAD... He hasn't been that impressive in the loosey goosey games. But we don't need a OAD in that spot, with two seniors at the post.

I would agree that UKs class is slightly better, but as mentioned above, it also matters for how many years. No OADs for Duke would be perfect, if they were then joined by Jackson/Tatum/Giles next year.

There are not 5 better players in this class then Murray . Period . 2 ? who knows but not 5 for sure . He is the best guard UK has added IMO since Wall.

There are not 5 better players in this class then Murray . Period . 2 ? who knows but not 5 for sure . He is the best guard UK has added IMO since Wall.

The best KY guard since John Wall? Hm. Better than Knight? Teague?

And having pedestrian big men wasn't so bad from 2011-2014... Mason Plumlee won the Pete Newell award and was an all american (and contender for NPOY for most of the year.). His brother Miles is in the league, and Ryan Kelly is another great big. There was a lack of talent at some positions, for sure, and some injuries to major players (Seth Curry, Kelly.). Sure, not a Demarcus Cousins, but most aren't. This upcoming Duke team will definitely have average bigs tho.

And I don't think there will be a problem if Tatum and Giles both get to Duke. They play largely different positions than the guys who will be there, and are the types of talents that other players often recognize as deserving the time they get. Other than once or twice, K usually doesn't have many attitude issues.

Grayson Allen played well for 10 minutes last year, it just happened to be in the natty. 30+ games into the season he still had games where he saw the court for only a few minutes. Foul trouble combined with a gamble on coach K's part in the title game and BAM...grayson the next duke turd in line blows up for 10 minutes and now he might be ACC player of the year.
Cmon people.

Grayson Allen played well for 10 minutes last year, it just happened to be in the natty. 30+ games into the season he still had games where he saw the court for only a few minutes. Foul trouble combined with a gamble on coach K's part in the title game and BAM...grayson the next duke turd in line blows up for 10 minutes and now he might be ACC player of the year.
Cmon people.

Allen was a victim of the fact that K just doesn't play more the 7-8 guys. before Sulaimon was kicked off the team, he'd only seen garbage minutes, but had been very productive even in those limited minutes.

After the departure of Sulaimon, Allen saw the floor more and had a breakout game vs. Wake where he scored 27 points. I don't think UK had a guy score that much all year. Allen is not a one-hit wonder.

He's the next Redick at Duke - he'll be supremely hated, and very, very good.

And having pedestrian big men wasn't so bad from 2011-2014... Mason Plumlee won the Pete Newell award and was an all american (and contender for NPOY for most of the year.). His brother Miles is in the league, and Ryan Kelly is another great big. There was a lack of talent at some positions, for sure, and some injuries to major players (Seth Curry, Kelly.). Sure, not a Demarcus Cousins, but most aren't. This upcoming Duke team will definitely have average bigs tho.

And I don't think there will be a problem if Tatum and Giles both get to Duke. They play largely different positions than the guys who will be there, and are the types of talents that other players often recognize as deserving the time they get. Other than once or twice, K usually doesn't have many attitude issues.

Yep better then Knight for sure . Hell Andrew Harrison was better then Teague . Murray play alot like Russell Westbrook but is obvious taller then that . Far and away the best guard in the class with only Briscoe and the Trier in the same league . Newman is a wild ass .

Yep better then Knight for sure . Hell Andrew Harrison was better then Teague . Murray play alot like Russell Westbrook but is obvious taller then that . Far and away the best guard in the class with only Briscoe and the Trier in the same league . Newman is a wild ass .

wow. He is not better than Knight for sure. Brandon gets such crap here. Kid carried us.

Murray is going to be really good, but he has a way to go to be head shoulders over Brandon at this juncture.

As to Teague, Andrew wasn't nearly the bulldog on defense and Teague finished and assisted way better on drives.

Such short memories....

Reactions: Wildcat134
Your underrating Duke's class a bit IMO. Jeter's going to be a good player IMO. He may stay another year, but I think he's going to have a pretty big impact from day 1. Right here is what we'll both look like next year bro. And Obi's going to be better than a lot of people think. I can see him as a 12pt, 9rb guy. We're going to be different type teams, but I think we're the best right now. Both our benches look pretty even. Also I think Brandon Ingram will be one of the best players in the nation. Don't care what anyone says he's better than Jaylen Brown could ever think about being. Jaylen Brown's Stanley Johnson, Ingram's Paul Pierce.

UK DUKE
Tyler Ulis > Derryck Thornton
Isaiah Briscoe = Luke Kennard
Jamal Murray = Brandon Ingram
Alex Poythress = Sean Obi
Skal Labissiere > Chase Jeter

Bench Bench
Mychal Mulder < Grayson Allen
Charles Mathews > Matt Jones
Marcus Lee > Amil Jefferson
> Marshall Plumlee

I can dig a lot of this johnny.

my thoughts...

Obi has a ways to.
Allen starts for sure.
Kennard will be very good.
Jones is better than Charles today.
Jefferson more skilled than Lee.
I don't like Jeter's game from the times i've seen him.

This will be a good game, I like our chances.

Was not impressed by Plumlee.

He was overhyped.

Like most Duke big men he got the benefit of a friendly whistle.

Like I said, pedestrian.

He is not the next redick.
He did play better when he got more time late in the year but still it was spotty.
Don't be fooled by his 10 minutes of glory in the title game.
I just looked at last 6 games leading up to the final four and he played no more than 8 minutes in any game, 5 pts was his high and he fouled like crazy. Almost fouled out twice playing limited minutes.
And Matt Jones is not better than Charles.
Duke had no bench and was forced to at jones at the 4. That's because Jefferson is terrible.
Jones, Winslow and jahlil hid so many duke weaknesses last year.
Matt jones is going into his junior year and has not improved much over his time.
Makes occasional 3 and plays ok d.
They will be exposed next year as they are called upon for much bigger roles.

He is not the next redick.
He did play better when he got more time late in the year but still it was spotty.
Don't be fooled by his 10 minutes of glory in the title game.
I just looked at last 6 games leading up to the final four and he played no more than 8 minutes in any game, 5 pts was his high and he fouled like crazy. Almost fouled out twice playing limited minutes.
And Matt Jones is not better than Charles.
Duke had no bench and was forced to at jones at the 4. That's because Jefferson is terrible.
Jones, Winslow and jahlil hid so many duke weaknesses last year.
Matt jones is going into his junior year and has not improved much over his time.
Makes occasional 3 and plays ok d.
They will be exposed next year as they are called upon for much bigger roles.

I guess we will see.

It is easy to hate Duke around here.

To be correct I said Jones is better than Matthews right now (as a college bball player entering the season) and still believe it. Charles is a much better athlete and hopefully showcases a ton of skill.

Allen is a very good player, he may not be Reddick, but any basketball beanie can see he has game.

Jefferson may be terrible to you, but he doesn't seem to get lost on both ends and at least makes over half of his free throws. Marcus again is the better athlete.

If all these players suck as bad as you say, and we know Obi isnt great, nor is Jeter then there is no way they should be ranked very high this season. But if they do stay in the Top 15 it will be because of Allen, Jones, Jefferson and a couple of freshmen.

I think they will have plenty of struggles but finish 3rd in the ACC.

I hate duke, but I have no problem saying if a particular player is good.
Any basketball beanie huh, so why did coach k take 30+ gaMes to start giving him run when he was sitting there all year on a weak bench.
He wil be a decent player but he will no where live up to the hype that the title game set him up for.

I hate duke, but I have no problem saying if a particular player is good.
Any basketball beanie huh, so why did coach k take 30+ gaMes to start giving him run when he was sitting there all year on a weak bench.
He wil be a decent player but he will no where live up to the hype that the title game set him up for.

I don't necessarily disagree with you as to living up to hype. But the kid can play.

ADVERTISEMENT