ADVERTISEMENT

Duke and UK stars look to dethrone Purdue's Edey as NPOY

I think it's a nice way to include all the blue bloods. But my money would be on the potential talents of not only Edwards, but also Wagner or Bradshaw.

Hunter Dickinson for POY? Meh. Flip's chances are a little better. Like the article said, he could be like a Blake Griffin. But Blake Griffin was a monster his 2nd year., when teams were giving him much more attention, he was still a 25 and 15 guy. Neither big man has a PG I particularly trust, either.

Reactions: chroix
I think it's a nice way to include all the blue bloods. But my money would be on the potential talents of not only Edwards, but also Wagner or Bradshaw.

Hunter Dickinson for POY? Meh. Flip's chances are a little better. Like the article said, he could be like a Blake Griffin. But Blake Griffin was a monster his 2nd year., when teams were giving him much more attention, he was still a 25 and 15 guy. Neither big man has a PG I particularly trust, either.
I believe Proctor will have a very good year at the point. Remains to be seen though.

Reactions: BlueBlackNWhite
I believe Proctor will have a very good year at the point. Remains to be seen though.
Not sure if he meant Edey/Dickinson as not having a good PG, or Filipowski being one of those 2. However, Filipowski may have one of the best PG's in the country in Proctor. So that wouldn't make much sense. I think Proctor could be an all-american and a top 5 pick.

Both Edey and Dickinson have question marks as to their PG, with the Morris Kansas situation now going on.

Reactions: Blueheart32

Not sure if he meant Edey/Dickinson as not having a good PG, or Filipowski being one of those 2. However, Filipowski may have one of the best PG's in the country in Proctor. So that wouldn't make much sense. I think Proctor could be an all-american and a top 5 pick.

Both Edey and Dickinson have question marks as to their PG, with the Morris Kansas situation now going on.

Proctor is one of the best PG in the country? That's news to me.

And where does Roach fit in? Is Proctor just taking over his spot?

Reactions: Cowtown Cat

Proctor was the primary ball handler most of the second half of the season last year and Roach played more at the 2. I'm just expecting that will continue. Just about every mock draft I've looked at shows Proctor in the lottery. I expect a big year from him. We'll see.

Reactions: BlueBlackNWhite

All of last year, Roach moved to off the ball while Proctor played PG. Roach was never a natural PG, he just played it for a few years as he was Dukes only option. Proctor is a natural facilitator, he is currently projected as the #2 pick on NBADraft.net.

Non-freshman lottery picks usually are dominant in college, though they are very rare these days.

So Proctor will keep his same role as PG..

Where he averaged 9/3/3, on 30mpg, with 38/32/87 shooting splits. What am I missing here? It seems many expect him to make the leap, but that's a pretty big leap. It's not like he got those numbers on just 20mpg.

Idk, I can tell you this, if UK had those stats coming back, I don't think the regular sports writers would even mention him lol. That to me says "there's potential, but good deal of room for improvement"

We will see if he stays true to being a lottery pick, which some have him down around 8 and below. He has a lot of work to do.

Tankathon (who I trust far more than NBAdraft.net these days) has him in the 20s.

I think that's much more apt for a player with that stat line from a year prior. He could wind up being top5, he has the NBA height. I'm sure there's potential, especially as he's finding his role as primary #1.. But the NBA will need to see more.

Reactions: Cat2016win
So Proctor will keep his same role as PG..

Where he averaged 9/3/3, on 30mpg, with 38/32/87 shooting splits. What am I missing here? It seems many expect him to make the leap, but that's a pretty big leap. It's not like he got those numbers on just 20mpg.

Idk, I can tell you this, if UK had those stats coming back, I don't think the regular sports writers would even mention him lol. That to me says "there's potential, but good deal of room for improvement"

We will see if he stays true to being a lottery pick, which some have him down around 8 and below. He has a lot of work to do.
From February 1st on, he averaged 14/6/4. He was 17 years old when the season started, should have been a HS Senior, and came straight from Australia before college (no American prep school or anything like that.) So yes, his first few months of playing high level college basketball were pretty rough. Once the game slowed down for him, he was really good.

Regardless, he definitely won't hinder Filipowski from being National POY. He is an unselfish pass first player, so whether he gets drafted 1st or 21st, he will create a lot of easy buckets for Filipowski. I also think he is more of a true PG than anyone on UK's roster.

From February 1st on, he averaged 14/6/4. He was 17 years old when the season started, and should have been a HS freshman. So yes, his first few months of playing high level college basketball were pretty rough. Once the game slowed down for him, he was really good.

Regardless, he definitely won't hinder Filipowski from being National POY. He is an unselfish pass first player, so whether he gets drafted 1st or 21st, he will create a lot of easy buckets for Filipowski. I also think he is more of a true PG than anyone on UK's roster.

I just don't know about "really good". Not trying to split hairs here.

He may not be a problem for Flip.. that may very well be the case. But there's a long ways to go to be a top5 or even lottery pick. Generally 2nd year guys don't make that leap. Lottery picks are often freshman and now euro/g-league players.

Edit 1: Also, according to what I'm seeing, he was never 17 when the season started. He was 18, and actually turned 19 right as last year ended.

Edit 2: lol he may not have e played traditional college prep school, but he was clearly good enough to make some Australian national teams. Australia has a decent deal of basketball pedigree.

Edit 3: why do you think he's a more true PG than Wagner or Dilly? Dilly is your prototypical PG in size for college and one of his pros are his handles. Hard for me to see how 3 assists a game makes tyrese a better PG than either of our guys but I guess we will have to see.

Last edited:
It’s not just numbers for proctor. Duke took a major leap forward when they handed him the keys to the offense in February. That move is what won them the ACC tournament and positioned them for a run in the NCAA but injuries hit them.

Most people that watched Proctor in the ACC tournament and early in the NCAA was saying he would have been a lottery pick had he left for the draft this past year. Everyone is predicting he continues his momentum of improvement and makes the leap for an all American type of season this year.

He’s 6 5 lanky with a smooth jump shot, he is the ideal pg in todays NBA, could be more explosive in his drives to the rim. His game is just smooth.

Reactions: christophero
Your Indian name would be a little punk ass Rain Cloud.Native Americans probably don’t use things such as punk ass in their names but if they did, they would include it with yours.
Childish name calling aside, which player of ours do you genuinely and realistically expect is going to be NPOY?

Did a anyone think Oscar was going to win it before the season stated?
No. They didn't.

And I don't think anyone on our team will win it this year. Yet that opinion inspired you to basically call me childish names. Did you do that to all the people who didn't think Oscar would win it, too?

No. They didn't.

And I don't think anyone on our team will win it this year. Yet that opinion inspired you to basically call me childish names. Did you do that to all the people who didn't think Oscar would win it, too?
You are the most negative poster n this site. The name calling is childish….try not to earn it next time

You are the most negative poster n this site. The name calling is childish….try not to earn it next time
I see. You have no answer for that comment other than to demean someone again.

I'm negative because I'm passionate about the program I love. And I'm sick of what our current coach has done to it.

You can call me names all you want, but I wish a lot more people loved the program the way I do..

But none of that has anything to do with this thread. I'm not a betting person, but I'd bet something that we don't have anyone who wins NPOY.

Reactions: CatsDomain

He may not be a problem for Flip.. that may very well be the case. But there's a long ways to go to be a top5 or even lottery pick. Generally 2nd year guys don't make that leap. Lottery picks are often freshman and now euro/g-league players.

Edit 1: Also, according to what I'm seeing, he was never 17 when the season started. He was 18, and actually turned 19 right as last year ended.

Edit 2: lol he may not have e played traditional college prep school, but he was clearly good enough to make some Australian national teams. Australia has a decent deal of basketball pedigree.

Edit 3: why do you think he's a more true PG than Wagner or Dilly? Dilly is your prototypical PG in size for college and one of his pros are his handles. Hard for me to see how 3 assists a game makes tyrese a better PG than either of our guys but I guess we will have to see.
Proctor looked lost the first semester. The second half of the season he was a different player. I think he had a tough time adjusting to the comp. but by season's end he looked pretty confident.

I believe Dilly is still a year or 2 away from being a complete player, he will be very up and down. Seems like one of those guys that will never be a complete package while in college, but yes his potential down the road is amazing, he has so much athleticism.

I feel Wagner is a score-first type guard. He will have some games where he goes for 30, but could also have some 1-13 type games where he absolutely kills you. Tyrese will be more steady, with less turnovers.

I believe Dilly is still a year or 2 away from being a complete player, he will be very up and down. Seems like one of those guys that will never be a complete package while in college, but yes his potential down the road is amazing, he has so much athleticism.

I feel Wagner is a score-first type guard. He will have some games where he goes for 30, but could also have some 1-13 type games where he absolutely kills you. Tyrese will be more steady, with less turnovers.
Wow, a Dukie predicting the worst possible scenario for UK players. How original.

If you have a coach with any sense at all should know the formula to beat Purdue. You put lurch in the pic n roll all night. Let him sink back into drop coverage and shoot the stinking mid range jumper over him. Huge liability on defense. You force the ball away from Braiden smith. Make the off guard initiate the offense. Once that first set failed they fall apart. Purdue has a ton of warts. Let Edey eat and foul the crap out of him. It works. Their guards aren’t athletic. They can’t shoot either. How insane is it that both NPOY guys didn’t get their team anywhere when it really counted. If it was me I could care less because it’s a team game.

All of last year, Roach moved to off the ball while Proctor played PG. Roach was never a natural PG, he just played it for a few years as he was Dukes only option. Proctor is a natural facilitator, he is currently projected as the #2 pick on NBADraft.net.

Non-freshman lottery picks usually are dominant in college, though they are very rare these days.

Freezing cold takes, right here.

Not only is Dilly (and Shep) past Proctor in any meaning full draft boards, but DJ Wagner will probably pass him soon.

And Proctors stock was dropping well before his injury, because as it turns out, Sophomore players who didn't play all that well as freshman, playing a lesser brand of basketball in Australia... rarely go #2 overall in the draft lmfao.

Reactions: BlueWorldOrder74
So Edwards was thought to be our big NPOY candidate. Yet he’s turned out to be only about the 8th best player on this UK roster. LOL.

So weird how this class has been. It indeed DOES appear that UK may have the two best freshmen in the country (Sheppard and Dillingham). Yet neither were even amongst UK’s three highest rated recruits (Edwards, Wagner, Bradshaw), and neither are in UK’s starting lineup.

Pretty sure nobody foresaw that scenario playing out.

Pop quiz time. Which Kentucky guard posted this abysmal stat line over the weekend:

0pts/1reb/3a in 22 minutes on 0-4 FG shooting?

Just kidding, it's not a Kentucky guard, why it's future 2nd overall draft pick Tyrese Proctor for Duke!

@BlueBlackNWhite

Reactions: Fox2monk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT