ADVERTISEMENT

Does Ol Roy survive the UNC cheating scandal?

I'm going say no and we'll soon hear he is stepping down due to heath reasons.

I'd love to hear Jim Boehiem's thoughts if UNC gets a slap on the wrist.

Now that's a good question. I'm guessing that Roy will coach 15/16 and then might step aside to moonpie heaven. Bit of a reach on my part but I wouldn't be surprised that a deal got cut between the NCAA and UNC to "trim the trees" rather than embarrass the school. I still believe that the NCAA wants nothing to do with that mess due to legal entanglements. If those boneheads really did offer unaccredited courses, they've also issued some bogus degrees to non-athletes. We're talking lawsuits galore if that ever got out. While the UNC can't sue the NCAA, those which may be holding bogus degrees can sue the pants off UNC. Safer for the NCAA to broker a silent deal and slip away in the night leaving UNC to twist in the wind.

If this happens, I think Billy G. would be a wonderful match for that program. He should fit right in with UNC being the paragon of ethics that it is.

I'm sure if the NCAA and UNC made a deal for Roy to be let go, Roy would start crying and going on about his dead friends and they would give him another year.

I'm betting a loss of three scholarships, 1-2 year ban from post season. May have to pull down a banner and vacate wins or an asterisk. No idea, talking out of my....

I think Lyin' Roy stays for a while. UNCheat and Roy deserve each other.

Why would he be fired? The NCAA is going to clear UNC so that would mean nothing ever happened. We sll know the NCAA turned over every stone so that means Roy is innocent.

They don't have anyone to replace him with right now.

i'm not sure what he can survive anyway. when the hair goes white and you start looking like death your professional career is likely winding down. pitino had the same thing happen, but he could do a few more years if he wanted. he had his scandal. looking at roy though you can tell how much the scandal stresses him. i myself would be surprised if he is there more than two years.

i'm not sure what he can survive anyway. when the hair goes white and you start looking like death your professional career is likely winding down. pitino had the same thing happen, but he could do a few more years if he wanted. he had his scandal. looking at roy though you can tell how much the scandal stresses him. i myself would be surprised if he is there more than two years.
I agree Hotel, I may be totally wrong, but I still maintain there's far too much crap that's obvious to everyone that UNCHEAT....cheated, and cheated at an unprecedented level, that Roy will be gone after this season. There is NO WAY he didn't know what was going on; hell, he learned it from Smith.

I'd step down too if I was eating this crap. Talk about B-rate candy.

heath-snack-size-candy-bars-125876-im1.jpg

He just said in Asheville this week that he plans to coach 6-10 more years but his wife is on him to make it less FWIW

I just thought about my last post. Would it make Mark ineligible to play for Carolina receiving funds?

I think you're correct - he would be ineligible and that penalty would sure show 'em!

Roy will hang out as long as he wants to. The NCAA has spoken. No punishment for the basketball team. No punishment for good old Roy. No dignity, no justice, no shame.

You guys are major dreamers. Or maybe you don't read. Emmert quite some time ago already stated (and now the NCAA is repeating) that academic issues regarding classroom curriculum is an Institutional issue and not an NCAA issue. Very little will happen. It shows that you are better off just denying everything as UNC has done to date, than admitting anything like Syracuse did. So, dream on about any wins being taken away, anyone getting fired, etc. At best, there may be a one year ban from the NCAA tourney (at best) and a reduction of scholarships perhaps 2-3 meaningless ones. Go on-line to other boards and you will see this is mainly swept under the rug or no one but here and Duke care.

I think the major problem is not the NCAA now, its the member schools. They will not stand seeing NC walk with little or no punishment. You will see many comparisons to MN of the 90s and what they did to them. FYI,,,,,,,,,,,Fired the coach, took away wins, TV, Tournament wins, and last but not least, Banners. That is only one example as there are several others. I think it will be harsher than most think.

NOA stands for Notice of Allegations. Which means the NCAA is letting them know they will be charged with something.

The NCAA also doesn't like being embarassed, and these national articles have embarassed both the NCAA and the school. So did the book, and the REAL threat may still be coming, the player lawsuits.

No school gets a NOA without getting punished. Seems to me the fine line the NCAA has to walk now .... punish UNC enough to appear the NCAA has teeth and some control, without admitting they turn a blind eye to this behavior routinely.

What should happen? UNC finally step up and take the lead. Show their changes are working. List who was forced out. Ask for resignations from all others involved, coaches and administrative alike. Be an open book going forward.

What will happen? UNC will try and claim all the above high ground, but without a full accounting or admission of guilt. Roy coaches 1 more year and hangs it up, handing off to Steve Robinson. A few more heads quietly roll. 1 banner comes down (2005) and 3 years probation AFTER next season is in the books.

Just my opinion.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT