ADVERTISEMENT

Does Newman's dad REALLY believe this:

tumblr_ll3u3nbWjA1qj43kro1_500.gif

Newman is sounding more and more like shabz part 2. The ignorant comment his dad made ranks right there with okafors dads comment. You know, okafor is the greatest player to ever come out of Chicago. Lol I know it's his dad but there's a guy who is in the playoffs right now named Anthony Davis I know he's just ok compared to okafor. Oh and another guy better than okafor Derrick rose. Sometimes these kids parents get too involved in the whole recruiting process, and it causes problems. Let Newman score his 25 a game for dreadful mst and go to the league. Maybe if he's lucky cal will get him tix to watch UK in the tournament next year. One guy is not going to get them to the tournament. He might as well request tix. We know cal doesn't go for the show off ball hogs that want to be the whole team and complain if they don't get their way. Let him go to the fightin jack nichelsons

I don't see anything wrong with it. It's his alma mater. He's just speaking highly of it. What I would expect him to do.

Blows me away that Howland had Jrue Holliday, Michael Westbrook, and Kevin Love on the same final four team and couldn't get to the championship game.

He didn't have Michael Westbrook lol. He was the wide receiver rumored to have a fling with kordell Stewart lol. He had Russell Westbrook what makes it crazy is Westbrook was just a 3 star player, just like steph curry. Whoever ranked those guys 3 star players need to be fired lol

even Johnny Neumann AND Johnny Newman would have a hard time carrying Howland to the Final 4 on that MSU team next year...

I don't see anything wrong with it. It's his alma mater. He's just speaking highly of it. What I would expect him to do.

Before Stoops first year at UK would you say that we were "not far off" from winning the SEC championship?

It's not about being a homer, it's about being stupid. Newman will play on National television one time next year and it will be a beat down at Rupp Arena.

Blackmon Jr went to Indiana. Booker came to UK. Perhaps Newman won't follow in his father's footsteps after all. 10 and hours from now we will find out

Newman is only interested in getting his. He will jack up about 25-30 shots a game, average about 20 points, and MSU will be lucky to make the NIT.

Really not that farfetched to think an 18 year old may think being the man is more important than winning a title. It doesn't mean he's stupid, just that he prefers something different than most of us. Some of you are awfully small minded...

Really not that farfetched to think an 18 year old may think being the man is more important than winning a title. It doesn't mean he's stupid, just that he prefers something different than most of us. Some of you are awfully small minded...
Maybe they shouldn't play for winning titles anymore. I mean, why not just get everyone to give hugs and wear tin foil hats with bras on their heads. That sounds like an awesome way to play the game. I mean, since winning titles isn't why the game is played. Michael Jordan had the wrong perspective about the game. Glad you are able to see through that.

I thought people played games in order to win. The notion that ball-dominating is more important than winning is like playing Monopoly with the singular vision of buying up Baltic Avenue and Mediterranean Avenue in order to decorate them with as many hotels as possible.

Reactions: SosaUK
So Malik Newman is basically a hipster. Don't blame him. It is 2015. Does Starkville have a Starbucks? No? Someone better tell him then.

Is it bad I find that it's hilarious when it gets out where these guys are going, then they deny it in social media, only to do exactly what they denied a couple days ago. I just have this vision of a kid throwing a temper tantrum when it gets leaked. Lol.

always a good idea to talk shit about a recruits father during the recruiting process

Compared to this list for Calipari
NBA players coached
UMass
Memphis
Kentucky
Might as well add Karl Anthony Towns, Willie Cauley-Stein, Trey Lyles, Devin Booker, and Dakari Johnson to that list - they're all definitely playing in the NBA. Then you can also add the Harrison twins too because I'm confident they'll be signed by a team at some point, but may end up in the D-League.

Just for form's sake, people might want to wait until an actual announcement before ragging on someone. Not that ragging on someone is good form, but it saves a lot of backtracking were that someone to choose UK.

The kid doesn't change by choosing some other school and it isn't really any of our business anyway. You celebrate new arrivals you don't put down the ones who go elsewhere.

Reactions: Ryan Lemonds Diary
The problem with this "logic" is pretty simple...recruiting to MSU vs. recruiting to UCLA is like comparing a Rally's hamburger with a Ruth's Chris steak. There's no legal reason to believe that Howland can reel in a quarter of the talent to Starkville that he did to SoCal.

It's kind of like Steve Fisher going from Michigan to San Diego St. He's put together a handful of nice teams, but mostly with leftovers. Jalen Rose isn't walking through that door.

And at least Fisher has the weather going for him. Howland might as well be recruiting to Hades.

I have a buddy who was visiting a friend a few years ago who was on Stansbury's staff at MSU. Stansbury gave them his credit card and told them to go out to eat. They drove around town and couldn't find anything open. I think it was 9:30.

Just for form's sake, people might want to wait until an actual announcement before ragging on someone. Not that ragging on someone is good form, but it saves a lot of backtracking were that someone to choose UK.

The kid doesn't change by choosing some other school and it isn't really any of our business anyway. You celebrate new arrivals you don't put down the ones who go elsewhere.

How can the original post be running a kid down? And even if he chooses UK, the original post about dad's statement still rings true.

Maybe the dad was just being nice & bragging on the school he played for, not really believing what he said. But anyway, I think if Newman chooses MSU & Howland has convinced them they have a real shot at the final 4 then there's nothing wrong with questioning that.

It doesn't mean we do not wish the kid well. I think most would just hate to see a Newman & family buy that bologna & deal with the huge, frustrating disappointment. Shabazz & his dad bought it & Shabazz was extremely frustrated about his one year in college...per Shabazz & fsm.

Blows me away that Howland had Jrue Holliday, Michael Westbrook, and Kevin Love on the same final four team and couldn't get to the championship game.
You sure you want to go there?
Cousins, Bledsoe, Wall, Patterson and didn't get to the Final Four...
Towns, Lyles, Booker, WCS, Johnson, twins and not make it to the championship game....

... what makes it crazy is Westbrook was just a 3 star player, just like steph curry. Whoever ranked those guys 3 star players need to be fired lol

I guess all the coaches out there that didn't recruit Curry should be fired too. He had offers from Davidson, VCU and Winthrop.

The dad being an alum is ok to root for his team. To point his son in a direction that will not really help his future is poor parenting. It would seem senior still has some butt hurt toward UK for past butt kickings. And very probably toward Cal because he would not guarantee minutes or shots for his prima donna.
If Newman goes to MSU, best of luck. But it appears to me, he might be a disruption on a TEAM.

Here's his own words:

“From what I heard [Howland] has just as many players in the NBA as [Kentucky coach John Calipari] Cal does,” Webster told The Clarion-Ledger. “The fact that he went to three straight Final Fours, that in itself speaks volumes. Mississippi State wasn’t far off. I think if Coach [Rick] Ray would have been there another year they might have made it with the juniors and seniors they have.

I really think they believe that with Howland & now Newman they are a final 4 contender.

I'm not bashing...I just cannot believe folks would seriously fall for that.
This is a classic example of whats wrong with todays generation. People just don't look up the facts before they make a decision or come to a conclusion. This issue is everywhere. Social media is killing the human side of things. Nobody takes the time to do things correctly anymore. They base everything off a one line statement.

It's still a dumb decision to go to Miss St. He better go crazy and be the player everyone thinks. If he even under-performs a little being "the man" there he will be stuck for at least 2 years .

MSU should be improved with him added to the mix. Craig Sword and Gavin Ware are solid players. They most likely will not be a NCAA team but they should be better. Still a crazy stupid decision on Newman's part.

Laughable to think Miss State even make the NIT Final Four...Howland was unemployed for a reason.

Enjoy playing (showcasing your talent) in front of thousands upon thousands of empty seats every night,
except when Kentucky comes by to lay it's annual ass whippin' on the dawgs.

Hard to understand all of these negative posts. 18 year old kid who wants to make up his own mind, with a little help from Dad. Wants to go to his home school, his Father's school and help make them relevant again. On the football boards, Damien Harris got roasted by many because he failed to choose his home school, the same fan base that is blasting a kid for going to his home school. Blasting the kid and his Father for THEIR decision is ridiculous.:mad:

You could easily see the same said for Cal and the '15 team very soon. 7 NBA picks and not even a title game. Wait for it it's coming.

Newman to state is funny. Lol at everyone thinking (including himself) that he's going to be jacking up shots all game, there's no offense on howlands teams to allow for that.

Not sure why somebody didn't get to the Newmans and show them George Dohrmann's article about the Ben Howland era at UCLA.

Dohrmann claims that Howland had no relationship at all with his players and couldn't deal with Russell Westbrook at all. Had to have the ref call Westbrook for a sock violation once just so Westbrook could come out of the game without Howland having to personally take him out.

Reactions: JFCats22
Is he being serious about going to the final four? He does know that Marcus Bullard, Darryl Wilson, Dantae Jones and Erik Dampier are not walking through that door doesn’t he?

Much like have Wall, Cousins, Bledsoe, and Patterson and not making a final four.

I think Newman wanted to be the man and be the featured player. Which with the depth UK will have its probably best for both. Chances are he will not get to be the man at UK, and that could have a negative effect on the team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT