ADVERTISEMENT

Does cheering for Murray make me unpatriotic?

Mar 24, 2015
So, after watching highlights of Jamal Murray go to work, I realized that I was getting giddy watching a Canadian dismantle the USA team. I also quickly realized that I've never cheered against the USA at any time, even when they got beat in the Olympics with a bunch of prima donnas (2004) and deserved it, I still didn't want them to lose. But since there isn't UK representation on the USA team, I find myself thoroughly enjoying what we have coming to the Bluegrass next season from Canada. Add to that the entire composition of the team, it's going to be a lot of fun. Maybe I'm just more states' rights than I realized??? :sunglasses:

Reactions: uky8unc5
Yes, now go buy some Molson, Labatts, or Moosehead and say "eh" until your mouth runs dry. ;)

I hardly ever watch USA sports as that unless it's the full USA basketball team. Mostly if a UK recruit or former UK player is in it for whomever. So since he's on Canada's team,, in that regard. Vive le Canada!!

Like I said last night, this US team didn't have the usual NBA All Stars that represent team USA, rather it was made up of some current College players and international players. I found myself cheering for mostly just Murray plus the fact USA had a bunch of rival college players instead of players that are overall USA players....

Like I said last night, this US team didn't have the usual NBA All Stars that represent team USA, rather it was made up of some current College players and international players. I found myself cheering for mostly just Murray plus the fact USA had a bunch of rival college players instead of players that are overall USA players....

This.
Plus, Canada was competing for a spot, and it was an opportunity for Murray to lead Canada to their first ever Pan Am medal (yes, any medal at all) in basketball. USA is automatically in the Olympics because they won gold last year (and virtually all other years). When FIBA comes along, that's when the NBA All-Stars go on the court.

OP's not alone. I found myself cheering for Murray and Canada just because of the UK connection. That, and the fact that the kid looked fantastic and made me very excited about our own upcoming season. Having said that, I am very much a patriotic US citizen, this was just a special deal, in my mind.

Reactions: WhiteCityCat1
I love our country, I really do. But when USA basketball was allowed to be transformed into a feeder system for Duke, I quit really caring about it.

And Canada did not have their stars as well...... well they had one [smoke]

I guess its possible to pull for Jamal Jamal to do really well and for the US to still win but thats a moot point now!

I was rooting for Murray, could give a rat's ass about Canada. Murray playing well usually meant Canada would win so...yeah.

Now next summer? I want Murray to play well (assuming he will make Canada's team in the Olympics), but if the USA plays them I will root for Team USA and AD and maybe Cousins/Wall.

Reactions: SosaUK
ADVERTISEMENT