ADVERTISEMENT

Do we REALLY have a chance at Austin Rivers?

Ripcord65

Senior
Apr 29, 2009
Back in the Spring and early summer, everybody talked like Rivers was a lock for Duke. Now I see that Scout has Rivers with a list of 5 schools, including Kentucky, and some of the pundits are making comments like "... if Kentucky gets Austin Rivers ...." But Rivals still has Rivers with interest in only one school -- Duke. What's the deal? Do we REALLY have a chance with Rivers? Or is he still a lock for Duke?

It is widely agreed that Rivers has his highest interest in Duke and Florida. However I wouldn't count UK out just yet. Jones was supposedly a UW lock, so was Kanter, not to mention Wall was supposed to be a Miami lock (last second) and we all know the Patterson story. If anyone can get Rivers here, it's Cal.

One thing for sure if RIVERS is interested, then WE have a chance with CAL going after him. Now if its smoke and CAL knows it is, he probably isn't even making an attempt.

I think our chances change alot depending on how the year goes and how the current players one and done chances look. If Knight looks like a lottery pick then we have chance but if none of the guards leave I dont see it happening. I dont see us signing anymore top 10 players until we have a better idea who may be leaving early. Besides that we dont have any openings anyway unless someone leaves early.

No we havent a real chance he wants to start. That will never happen here its Lambs Job thats that.

it depends a lot on who stays and who goes. if knight stays, like i think he will (given his commitment to education and his mother) then rivers wont come, and teague might decommit. but at this point its a waiting game. if some of our guards leave, and a starting slot opens up, i could deff. see cal getting rivers here.

but at this point i see knight and lamb being our 1 and 2 guards for the next couple at least. that is unless knight goes back on what he said, and lamb pulls a bledsoe.

Originally posted by Jmeeks54thebest:
it depends a lot on who stays and who goes. if knight stays, like i think he will (given his commitment to education and his mother) then rivers wont come, and teague might decommit. but at this point its a waiting game. if some of our guards leave, and a starting slot opens up, i could deff. see cal getting rivers here.

but at this point i see knight and lamb being our 1 and 2 guards for the next couple at least. that is unless knight goes back on what he said, and lamb pulls a bledsoe.

I've never heard Knight actually say he'll be around more than 1 year. Do you have some info on this that I missed? He's top 10 in next years pre-draft and you know Cal will push him out the door like he did with Boogie. I see your education standpoint, and this is something I cling to as well, but he'll likely rationalize that he can always come back or continue his education while in the NBA.

I don't see Teague decommitting even if Knight and Lamb are both here (which is unlikely). He comes across 100 % dedicated to UK and really wants to play under Calipari. In addition consider his recent comments about playing with Davis, his earlier comments about creating a dynasty class alongside Gilchrist and you've got a pretty low probability that Teague goes anywhere. Also keep in mind that Cal always preaches how he guarantees playing time to NO ONE when he recruits them. Even John Wall affirmed this.

Right now I'd be amazed to see Rivers sign. IF we land him, it'll be late in next years recruiting season and it'll only be if Knight has declared for the NBA...

why is it anytime that a recruit decides not to come here some moron has to make the statement that they are afraid of the competition. Lots of other schools have great programs and sometimes they are a better fit for recruits. Does Cal help get players to the league? yes. Does every player want to play for Cal? no. Just like every H.S. football player does not want to play for Saban.

I think if he does sign this might be the best recruiting class ever an that is something people talk about for years and years, why not be part of something special. So yea I think we have a shot at him. He would complete the class that's for sure.

Any 5* addition catapults us to #1 ever.

Fab5 were ranked 1, 3, 6, 9, and 84 = 103

So far we're ranked 2, 3, 6, 25 (with Wiltjer assuredly moving up) = 36

If we even add a #25, we have 5 - 5*'s and will total in the 40's or 50's.
I know that won't be the only criteria, but we'll be obviously #1 all time.

If Rivers comes to BBM, then we may have a slight chance, but at this point I'm very doubtful, but if I've learned anything it is never count Cal out if he's interested in a player.

Seriously though, if Knight sticks around for year two, then Rivers is not coming here - period. Our backcourt would be Knight and Teague - 100% guaranteed.

ADVERTISEMENT