ADVERTISEMENT

Do any other teams scare you next year?

PS; Not to nitpick with thread titles, but top level programs should not be "scared" of any other team. If they are, there is a disconnect or fundamental flaw with that program, and they aren't really top level that year..

UK fans and players haven't been scared of playing other teams in quite awhile (ok, maybe for a month or two when Noel went down).
IU fans and players weren't scared of other teams in '11/'12 and '12/'13. Shouldn't be during the coming season either.

PS; Not to nitpick with thread titles, but top level programs should not be "scared" of any other team. If they are, there is a disconnect or fundamental flaw with that program, and they aren't really top level that year..

UK fans and players haven't been scared of playing other teams in quite awhile (ok, maybe for a month or two when Noel went down).
IU fans and players weren't scared of other teams in '11/'12 and '12/'13. Shouldn't be during the coming season either.
I like Thomas Bryant's game. He should fit in with the returning starters nicely. IU will be better next year for sure. However, Clappy will find a way to out do himself next year. Crazy substitutions, lack of defensive play, etc. If Bryant gets in foul trouble, you will see a lot of what you saw this last year. Now if Clappy can add Maker 2nd semester, new ball game. Still wont be as talented as Hulls, zeller, olidipo team. Again, Clappy found a way to screw the pooch.

Actually, they'll be built an awful lot like their teams who got beat in the first round.
K finally got a big man in JO. His best pick up in years was Winslow. These 2 kids were the difference in a deep run and a 1st round exit. GBB

North Carolina to me starts out #1 then a big gap to #2. NC's experience, depth, shooting and bigs....just too much for most teams with so many seasoned players.

Reactions: brianpoe
So, who gets Creaned beyond the two already Creaned this year? With Yogi back he's already one over. Why a parent would let a kid played for a guy with a track record like that is a total mystery to me.

Jeremiah April will be back in Arizona soon, I suspect.

The track record has a huge downside for parents; IU oversigns most years.
The track record also has a huge upside for parents; most players recruited to IU end up completing a college degree at IU.

Seems like those two concepts couldn't co-exist, but they actually do.

North Carolina to me starts out #1 then a big gap to #2. NC's experience, depth, shooting and bigs....just too much for most teams with so many seasoned players.

I didn't watch them much last season but they must have improved a great deal from the non-conference when they got handled at home by Iowa and flat humiliated by Butler. Didn't they lose 12 games last year?

I didn't watch them much last season but they must have improved a great deal from the non-conference when they got handled at home by Iowa and flat humiliated by Butler. Didn't they lose 12 games last year?

They definitely improved. They will be good this year.

Every team will have its shortcomings next season. Alot depends on how a team rebounds from the loss of players and utilizes its new recruits. I like the white kid with goggles from Xavier. Kid has soft hands, eats space and has a knack for just being where the ball is. Not sure who they lose but outside of UK, I liked that team in the tourney last season. Its wide open next year IMO.

The same team that scares me every year. The zebra stripes they seem to always screw us.

Co-exist for who? The families that trusted Clappy with their kids and then were told the kid was fired so someone else could be recruited? Stan Robinson had a degree? He said the day after the season he was looking frward to coming back, and then was kicked to the curb. Max Hoetzel had a degree? April and, or Priller had degrees? You are deluding yourself if that's your justification for Creaning. Its a cruel and unworthy process and wouldn't be tolerated by most fan bases.

Wasn't trying to justify anything (though factually, Priller will likely be a four year Hoosier and Stan had ..ahem...character issues).

Just saying that oversigning/"Creaning" is real at IU and is a negative, and that most players who come in as IU scholly freshmen leave with a college degree. Even most (two out if three) of the IU NBA early entries get a college degree.

Now...back to which are the likely top teams next year:

Any SEC teams other than UK likely to be consistent top 10-15 teams when the story is told?

What exactly did they do?

I watched a lot their games last year. Their offense was really out of sync most of the year. Their efficiency ratings went up and they played pretty good ball at the end of the season and in the tourney. With everyone being down, they will have plenty of talent to be ranked high. Lots good players coming back.

They return 4 double digit scorers.

Marcus Paige will be very good, senior.

Their top 2 rebounders.

Meeks 4* and James 4* both back at Center. Junior and Senior

Hicks 5*, Bryce Johnson 4*, Justin Jackson 5*, Theo Pinson 5* at Forward 2 Sophs, 1 JR, 1 SR

Nate Britt 4* and Joel Berry 4* at Guard Soph and JR

Lots of stars and experience. Don't count out ol' huckleberry this coming year.

There is no dominant teams unlike last year(Duke, Wisconsin, UK), but there is goi g to be a lot of good teams. Deja Vu to 2011, where it's a 10-12 team race to the Finals.

No team scares me. There will be 25 or so good teams out there. That's college ball. We'll be competitive with all of them. That's really all you can ask of a team.

I watched a lot their games last year. Their offense was really out of sync most of the year. Their efficiency ratings went up and they played pretty good ball at the end of the season and in the tourney. With everyone being down, they will have plenty of talent to be ranked high. Lots good players coming back.

Their top 2 rebounders.

Hicks 5*, Bryce Johnson 4*, Justin Jackson 5*, Theo Pinson 5* at Forward 2 Sophs, 1 JR, 1 SR

They lose Tokoto and add nothing. And all of that talent was not good enough to win the regular season, tournament, or make the FF. Hicks has never impressed me, and I thought Jackson was going to be better. They have a lot of pretty good players, but I think the game is passing Williams by. I don't think they will do much better than they did this year. And it would be a travesty if they do win it under this thunder cloud hovering over them.

Their top 2 rebounders.

I watched them a lot, too. And they really didn't do anything. Hell, they almost lost to Harvard.

We will see, I bet they are top 5 all season.

And if we only sign Mulder, I will say they will be higher seed than us.

They lose Tokoto and add nothing. And all of that talent was not good enough to win the regular season, tournament, or make the FF. Hicks has never impressed me, and I thought Jackson was going to be better. They have a lot of pretty good players, but I think the game is passing Williams by. I don't think they will do much better than they did this year. And it would be a travesty if they do win it under this thunder cloud hovering over them.
Just saying, compared to other teams they will have more experience, depth, etc. May not do a lot better than last year. but they do have the players, compared to what others have back, to do a lot of damage along the way. Just have to look at their roster and compare it to others taking everything into account.

Just saying, compared to other teams they will have more experience, depth, etc. May not do a lot better than last year. but they do have the players, compared to what others have back, to do a lot of damage along the way. Just have to look at their roster and compare it to others taking everything into account.

Agree, these extra years of experience helps other teams just like ours. These aren't 2 and 3* player returning.

Wasn't trying to justify anything (though factually,

Any SEC teams other than UK likely to be consistent top 10-15 teams when the story is told?
Are you paying any attention to the recruits the SEC is landing and new coaches? Off the top of my TAM, LSU, Vandy, and Florida. Bd may be in the nba so who knows? Johhny Jones is the sec version of clappy. He is not creepy just finds a way to lose with talent. AT the end of the day, I would expect many to be ranked in the top 40- 50. GBB

Are you paying any attention to the recruits the SEC is landing and new coaches? Off the top of my TAM, LSU, Vandy, and Florida. Bd may be in the nba so who knows? Johhny Jones is the sec version of clappy. He is not creepy just finds a way to lose with talent. AT the end of the day, I would expect many to be ranked in the top 40- 50. GBB

Florida? Really?

We will see, I bet they are top 5 all season.

And if we only sign Mulder, I will say they will be higher seed than us.

I have them preseason #1, too, but it says a helluva lot more about everyone else than it does them. I think they'll be good, obviously, but this talk like it's them and the rest is hilarious.

I mean- I asked you specifically what they did and you couldn't even come up with an answer. You know why- because they didn't do anything. Haha. Got swept by Duke. Lost by 8 to ND in the ACC Tourney. Damn near lost in the first round to Harvard.

Their BIG success last year? Beating a neutered Virginia team in the ACC Tourney.

I have them preseason #1, too, but it says a helluva lot more about everyone else than it does them. I think they'll be good, obviously, but this talk like it's them and the rest is hilarious.

I mean- I asked you specifically what they did and you couldn't even come up with an answer. You know why- because they didn't do anything. Haha. Got swept by Duke. Lost by 8 to ND in the ACC Tourney. Damn near lost in the first round to Harvard.

Their BIG success last year? Beating a neutered Virginia team in the ACC Tourney.

Haha? I never said they were an all time great team. I simply pointed out that against this coming year's competition, like you have obviously, that they will be near the top of the heap.

The same team that scares me every year. The zebra stripes they seem to always screw us.

Seriously?
All time NCAA wins and most titles and you want to blame some conspiracy of the refs?

If they're "out to get us", then they've succeeded in the exact opposite, and done the worst job ever based on results.

Seriously?
All time NCAA wins and most titles and you want to blame some conspiracy of the refs?

If they're "out to get us", then they've succeeded in the exact opposite, and done the worst job ever based on results.
Did you not watch the Wisconsin game, they screwed us with that shot clock violation.

Florida? Really?
IF Billy D stays, yes. I have more faith in UF than in IU with Clappy. UF has been relevant the whole time IU has not. IU is not back yet but getting better. Still have not figured out how a team can lose so many games down the stretch and get into the tournament.

Did you not watch the Wisconsin game, they screwed us with that shot clock violation.

Of course I watched- down to the last second, and was in emotional shock.

They missed a call, I don't think that screwed the team over in the totality of a 40 minute game. Not being called for the flagrant, which would have been 2 shots plus the ball, would have put them in a worse predicament given the situation and time remaining. Anyone looking at that play objectively knows that was def. a flagrant 1 by definition of the rules, and the boys in blue got a huge break.

For the life of me I can't figure out why they decided to not watch film on Wisc to better prepare? Even more so for a team that was one of, if not the most efficient, teams in college basketball over the course of the entire season. Having some better familiarity of what they were going to throw at you seems like a no brainer.

Then to top it off, the next game Wisc ends up playing absolutely sloppy and hands Duke another title on a silver platter. Puke!

You don't think a blatant, no argument terrible call that awarded Wisconsin two points to tie the game that we ultimately never recovered from with 2:35 to play screwed us over? o_O

That wasn't a "was it or wasn't it" call. It was clearly a missed call that awarded Wisconsin two points at crunch time. The refs looked at the video on the Lyles call and decided it was unintentional and Gasser was flopping (shocker).

What a BS post.

Of course I watched- down to the last second, and was in emotional shock.

They missed a call, I don't think that screwed the team over in the totality of a 40 minute game. Not being called for the flagrant, which would have been 2 shots plus the ball, would have put them in a worse predicament given the situation and time remaining. Anyone looking at that play objectively knows that was def. a flagrant 1 by definition of the rules, and the boys in blue got a huge break.

For the life of me I can't figure out why they decided to not watch film on Wisc to better prepare? Even more so for a team that was one of, if not the most efficient, teams in college basketball over the course of the entire season. Having some better familiarity of what they were going to throw at you seems like a no brainer.

Then to top it off, the next game Wisc ends up playing absolutely sloppy and hands Duke another title on a silver platter. Puke!

That call killed us and you can't convince me otherwise. They did review the play you are talking about and decided there was nothing there to call flagrant. The call that killed us was clear as day to everyone except for the paid off officials.

You don't think a blatant, no argument terrible call that awarded Wisconsin two points to tie the game that we ultimately never recovered from with 2:35 to play screwed us over? o_O

That wasn't a "was it or wasn't it" call. It was clearly a missed call that awarded Wisconsin two points at crunch time. The refs looked at the video on the Lyles call and decided it was unintentional and Gasser was flopping (shocker).

What a BS post.

It's totally $hitty they missed the call, and of course anyone would be pissed feeling like they got screwed. I know they looked at the video, but the fact is that was a flagrant- there's nothing about unintentional or intentional once they amended the rule with the flagrant 1 vs. 2.

What a BS post.

Flop?
Everyone of course is pissed with the outcome given the stakes of 40-0 this year and hanging another banner, but you're deceiving yourself if you don't think they caught a huge break by the no call on the flagrant.

No, I don't think we caught a break. The refs actually got to look at it and decided it was a no-call. Yeah, he flopped, too, as Gasser is known to do. This, AS OPPOSED to the two points Wisconsin was GIVEN on a clear shot clock violation.

Furthermore, it's a BS rule anyway. In basketball, occasionally you catch a hand/arm to face. It happens. Call a foul or don't call a foul but save me the 10-minute video timeout and flagrant crap.

Who knows yet. Won't know until I see this UK team and how they play, what they do well and not so well. Didn't know until fairly well into this season that Wisconsin wouldn't be a good matchup for us, and that Duke, matchups aside, was pretty formidibl in its own right.

Skeptical about UNC. They have the talent, but I get the feeling there is just a dark cloud hanging over that program, and Roy seems to have aged considerably in a pretty short time. not sure he has what it takes to get a ring anymore.

Also a little skeptical about UofL. Why does Rick hardly ever have freshmen who play a significant role? Because, in his own words, his offense and defense are too complicated to master in a year. So now he's relying on two transfers, who know nothing about his systems, to make or break his team. For all the "but they are well coached" comments, people are forgetting his first decade at UofL, when for the most part they looked anything but well coached, and the favorite local topic was "why can't Rick win at UofL like he could at UK?!?!" Then he got a group of kids very receptive to his coaching, and they did well. He can't coach everybody. All those kids are now gone - do they go back to what they looked like before?

Louisville has added two twenty point per game Division 1 Fifth year senior guards. They will be in the mix unfortunately

Before I pass judgement I want to see those two guys playing against top caliber competition. While these guys may both be legit, they did play at Cleveland State and Drexel...not exactly top tier programs.....

ADVERTISEMENT