ADVERTISEMENT

Do any other teams scare you next year?

Mar 5, 2013
I think it would be a little cathartic to spend a few minutes not worrying about recruiting for next year and instead survey the college landscape for next year. Therefore do any of the projected top teams next year give you any pause?

#1. Virginia- Even with the loss of Justin Anderson and Atkins I think Virginia will start the year as the nation's top team. They may not be ranked that way because North Carolina on paper will have more talent but Virginia has displayed how a cohesive defensive juggernaut of a team can be wildly successful in this current college basketball universe. They will struggle to score but Sophomore Shayok is poised to break out and fill Anderson's shoes.

#2. North Carolina- they are losing there best defender in Tokoto and will have the same struggles at perimeter shooting as they have had the last two seasons. However in the ACC tournament and NCAA tournament they did improve shooting from deep and with Johnson, Jackson, and Meeks they will be the longest top team in the country.

#3. Maryland- Another year of the Melo Trimble show and they are adding Diamond Stone down low. They are losing their most consistent scoring threat in Dez Wells and after West Virginia exposed there weakness to pressure every team they play next year is going to some degree try and press them. They do have some solid role players in Nickens, Layman, and Cekovsky.

#4. Michigan State- Of these top teams this is the hardest one for me to project. There team's basketball soul was completely contained in three players last year: Dawson, Trice, and Valentine. They lost two of those players but they are bringing in arguably the nations's best transfer in Eron Harris and they signed two bull's in the post in Swanigan and Davis. This team could make another Final Four or finish 6th in a loaded Big 10 next year. Whoever they put out there at PG is the entire key because Eron Harris and Denzel Valentine can create there own shot but everybody else on that roster needs to be set up in order to score and they will be breaking in a new lead guard.

#5. Duke- I'm assuming they sign Ingram to go with Thorton, Kennard, Allen, Jones, Jeter, Plumlee and transfer Obi. They also get the benefit of the doubt because they have the best coach in the country. They are certainly going to be guard oriented and extremely soft in the post with little to no post scoring. But Coach K has had that issue before and had great season's with guard dominant teams.

#6 Indiana- I know they have been our whipping boy for the last two season's but if Yogi Ferrel comes back to join Justin Blackmon and they have a legit post player in Thomas Bryant they are going to be good. Bryant has to stay healthy and they have to at least try to play some Defense which they did not last season.

So that's my list of the top team's going into next season. It's only my opinion so there certainly may be other team's you think worthy of inclusion. But what say you? Do any of the team's for next year worry you? I will close by saying that I think North Carolina would be a tough match up for us unless we add Murray. They will be an explosive offensive team with a lot of length. And while I expect us to again be a really good defensive team if we don't add more scoring like Virginia we could have some issues on Offense. But regardless it at least appears at this juncture that there aren't very many really great team's in college basketball next year.

Reactions: brianpoe
Louisville has added two twenty point per game Division 1 Fifth year senior guards. They will be in the mix unfortunately

I think it would be a little cathartic to spend a few minutes not worrying about recruiting for next year and instead survey the college landscape for next year. Therefore do any of the projected top teams next year give you any pause?

#1. Virginia- Even with the loss of Justin Anderson and Atkins I think Virginia will start the year as the nation's top team. They may not be ranked that way because North Carolina on paper will have more talent but Virginia has displayed how a cohesive defensive juggernaut of a team can be wildly successful in this current college basketball universe. They will struggle to score but Sophomore Shayok is poised to break out and fill Anderson's shoes.

#2. North Carolina- they are losing there best defender in Tokoto and will have the same struggles at perimeter shooting as they have had the last two seasons. However in the ACC tournament and NCAA tournament they did improve shooting from deep and with Johnson, Jackson, and Meeks they will be the longest top team in the country.

#3. Maryland- Another year of the Melo Trimble show and they are adding Diamond Stone down low. They are losing their most consistent scoring threat in Dez Wells and after West Virginia exposed there weakness to pressure every team they play next year is going to some degree try and press them. They do have some solid role players in Nickens, Layman, and Cekovsky.

#4. Michigan State- Of these top teams this is the hardest one for me to project. There team's basketball soul was completely contained in three players last year: Dawson, Trice, and Valentine. They lost two of those players but they are bringing in arguably the nations's best transfer in Eron Harris and they signed two bull's in the post in Swanigan and Davis. This team could make another Final Four or finish 6th in a loaded Big 10 next year. Whoever they put out there at PG is the entire key because Eron Harris and Denzel Valentine can create there own shot but everybody else on that roster needs to be set up in order to score and they will be breaking in a new lead guard.

#5. Duke- I'm assuming they sign Ingram to go with Thorton, Kennard, Allen, Jones, Jeter, Plumlee and transfer Obi. They also get the benefit of the doubt because they have the best coach in the country. They are certainly going to be guard oriented and extremely soft in the post with little to no post scoring. But Coach K has had that issue before and had great season's with guard dominant teams.

#6 Indiana- I know they have been our whipping boy for the last two season's but if Yogi Ferrel comes back to join Justin Blackmon and they have a legit post player in Thomas Bryant they are going to be good. Bryant has to stay healthy and they have to at least try to play some Defense which they did not last season.

So that's my list of the top team's going into next season. It's only my opinion so there certainly may be other team's you think worthy of inclusion. But what say you? Do any of the team's for next year worry you? I will close by saying that I think North Carolina would be a tough match up for us unless we add Murray. They will be an explosive offensive team with a lot of length. And while I expect us to again be a really good defensive team if we don't add more scoring like Virginia we could have some issues on Offense. But regardless it at least appears at this juncture that there aren't very many really great team's in college basketball next year.
Gonzaga should be as good or better. Entire front court back and PG who was injured will be solid. Don't know where they will rank but right now even Purdue looks like a stiff pretty challenge on our schedule.

It appears that there is not a team out there that anyone is worried about being better than UK next year. I think we should keep that in perspective over the next couple weeks even if we strike out with: Murray, Diallo, Brown, and Ingram.

Any team we would have to play from the round of 32 on.

Always nervous of any opponent in the tournament.

We will be one of about 10-12 legitimate teams.

This could be another year like 2011 or 2014 where someone comes out of nowhere to win it all. Might even be UConn. They seem to thrive recently in years where there is no dominant team.

No great teams next season which gives me hope if we land Diallo/Murray we would be strong candidate for the championship.

UNC, Loserville with their latest additions and they're well coached, Virginia, Michigan St, Duke especially if they get Ingram, and I think conference wise LSU will be dangerous though Jones is a horrible coach.

On paper it looks like UNC*** probably has the most talent returning. There will be a lot of good, but not quite great teams next season. Nobody is head and shoulders above anybody else.

If UK gets Murray or Diallo, along with Mulder, we will be right back in the Top 2 or 3 again. If we get all three, we are the best team in the country again.

I think those teams, plus Arizona, and maybe a surprise like LSU, will all be strong. That said, I'd put UK even money against any of them, as we are constructed today. I think this team is likely to add Mulder and Maker, which makes for a legit top 5 squad. IMO, if the Cats sign any of the remaining top guys like Brown, Ingram, Diallo or most likely, Murray, they are the favorite going in

I think its wide open.There will be some good teams but as far as a dominate team there isn't one.Should be a lot of parity in 2015-16.

#6 Indiana
lol2.gif

Reactions: BleedBlueCats21
Don't know that any team scares me...but there are a number of squads I think will be very good and capable of advancing well into the tourney..

Gonzaga, Wisconsin, Wichita St, Notre Dame...will all be squads looking to make a run...it'll be our luck to have to play them all in the tourney...

Michigan St...will be a lot better squad overall than this season...should be in the mix late in the year again...

KU will be top team...Bragg should be big time play maker...Ellis returning...

UNC...will have just about everyone returning...

Duke...will be in the picture...Kennard, Jeter, Allen will make for a nice back court and perimeter rotation...jeter in the front court...might get another top recruit...

UL will be solid because of P and some decent 5th year pick ups...but we'll be more talented and a better team overall...

Keep an eye on:

Texas...will be night and day different under shaka who is inheriting some nice talent and good recruits...

Ohio St...Jaquan lyle and top recruiting class coming in...returning some solid pieces...have trevor Thompson, a transfer from VA-tech who sat out last season...

FSU...great athlete and talent in Bacon, couple of 4 star guys, a top juco, and a 7"4 dude...

Xavier, Dayton, Butler...all should be the cream of the mid major crop...should all crack the top 25...will advance in the tourney...

In conference we shouldn't lose more than 3 games...LSU, UGA, Arkansas...will all be really tough...throw in the aggies just because they are returning everyone and have a top recruiting class, they should be a much improved squad...

Good list OP, the top 3 and add Kansas. People dismissing these teams are not being subjective.

surprised that no one mentioned Iowa State. i won't be surprised if they knock off Kansas next year in the Big 12

"Georges Niang's decision to return will make the Cyclones a favorite to win the Big 12 title. Point guard Monte Morris, the nation's leader in assist-to-turnover ratio, and forward Jameel McKay will also be back for coach Fred Hoiberg, who won't have to rebuild as much as he's had to do in the past. And Iowa State again hit the transfer jackpot. Oregon State transfer Hallice Cooke, Marquette transfer Deonte Burton and junior college transfer Darien Williams could make immediate impacts. A surprising loss to UAB in the opening round of the NCAA tournament will likely fuel this team in the offseason."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...-basketball-kentucky-north-carolina/70758552/

Reactions: brianpoe
I'm really not sold on Gonzaga for next year. They lost their entire back court in Pangos, Bell,and Wesley. Texas could be a dark horse but it normally takes a system coach 2 years to get the guys he wants to run his system in place and up and running and Texas has some BIG dude's who aren't really capable of pressing so how Smart adjusts to his roster will be interesting to watch. Unless Kansas adds Diallo I'm also pretty low on them next year as it will be virtually the same team that fell apart down the stretch this year except without there NBA lotto talented player. Iowa State is an enigma because who knows how all the transfers will get along???? Hoiberg does have a good track record of flaming out in the NCAA tournament though. I knew I would get a bunch of crap for including Indiana but there severely flawed team last year beat: SMU, Butler, Maryland, and Ohio State. They don't lose anybody good, Blackmon and Williams will both be a year better and they added a quality big guy in McDonald's All American Bryant. If Yogi comes back and they can improve there defense from abomination level to simply sub-par they have the pieces to be a quality team that's top 10 in the country in offense even if it's coached by Dwight Schrute.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GO TAR HEELS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IU will have top level talent, and will be very deep. Yogi Ferrell, JBlackmonJr, Troy Williams, Rob Johnson all back as starters, and IU is adding a five star, defensive-minded center. Four other guys who played significant minutes last year will also be back.

I know y'all don't have any love for IU or Crean, but IU will be top shelf, as will Maryland, Michigan, Mich St, and Purdue (if they get a pg addition) from the Big10

There may be a couple outstanding teams, but I doubt we'll see 5-6 great teams next season like we did last season.

ADVERTISEMENT