ADVERTISEMENT

Diallo has committed to KU

He waited until mulder announced just so he could kick dirt on our one minor victory. No doubt self had him do that.

What a bitch move.

We still own them.

Wow. The paranoia some of you guys harbor is truly something to behold.

Reactions: stankum
And the bad news keeps coming. Cal not doing what he is best at .. getting studs . Everyone loves high motor guys , hate to see him go elsewhere.

A Junior Marcus Lee >>>>>>>> Cheick Diallo

Not sure how anyone who watched the McD game or Nike Hoop Summit would actually believe this. Diallo was the most impressive big on the floor in those games. Kid looked like he had an MKG-like motor, but in a bigger taller body. Simply looked great.

There's no sugarcoating this news. This one hurts.

I do not know a thing about Diallo. I wanted him because Coach Cal and you posters wanted him. The only way that Bill Self could get him over Coach Cal is to have made a deal with the Devil. That is probably what happened.

Unless he is a monster like Lebron James, we will still be competitive with any team.

I am disappointed just like you are.:(

Diallo is so stupid to pick KU over UK, I know I'm a lil salty cuz he picked them over us, but really it's a terrible buisness decision, Calipari develops players, especially big guys, better than anybody. Take Cliff Alexander for example, a projected OAD comin out of high school last year and now look at him with one year under Self... Terrible decision by Diallo, I hope he stays there 4 years and goes undrafted foreal. I put money on it that Marcus Lee and Poythress have better years next year than CDiallo!

Evidently it is not always a good thing losing 7 players to the NBA. Lucky for us we had two good teams last year and some will be coming back.

Reactions: devilpuppet
Cal always dogs the "noise" around players. That is the handlers. These guys are pushing them away for some reason. I get he will get more shots and maybe more time. but the NBA draft and staying power of Cal and Self aren't even comparable.

This kid gets an ID-10-T form
If you think Self, K and others aren't selling that UK's last three classes have not been NBA slam dunks, you are blinded by too much blue. All three were #1 classes, with loads of top ten and top twenty recruits. But too many injuries, and draft board slippers.

Here are 5 star guys....

--Only Noel has succeed, and his stock fell when he got hurt. Cost him some cash.
--WCS also got hurt after his sophomore year, and other coaches are telling kids that is why he came back.
--Poy is coming back for year #4. He never expected that to have to happen. But little development, and then an injury
--Goodwin. Do I even have to say it.
--Only Randle and Young got to go OAD - and Randle got hurt before he ever really played.
--Young got more NBDL than NBA minutes
--Harrisons - consensus top ten to bottom of the second round
--Dakari - top 20 (or better) expectation - stayed two years and there are threads all over this board asking why he is going so soon, that he isn't ready.
--KAT - BIG PLUS, need to sell the heck out of that one. Got better, moved up
--Lyles - stayed the same, at best, definitely not climbing the boards
--Booker - another good story
--Ulis - nobody ever thought he'd be OAD

The other coaches are successfully selling that too much competition is causing two things to happen:
...break down injuries from over practicing with competition
...not enough PT to develop against top notch competition.

It isn't easy to swallow, but you can be sure the kids are hearing it.

Yes, seven are going into draft...but three are looking at round 2 at best.

None of them expected that when they got to Lexington.

Cal always dogs the "noise" around players. That is the handlers. These guys are pushing them away for some reason. I get he will get more shots and maybe more time. but the NBA draft and staying power of Cal and Self aren't even comparable.

This kid gets an ID-10-T form
Really strange to me for a lot of reasons. A friend like Skal with things in common, THE top basketball program, THE coach that has the #1 reputation preparing players for the pro's, the opportunity to mostly play his natural position at the 4 versus going to have to play mostly the 5 at KU, much better guards at UK to get him the ball, the number of big time bigs Cal has developed compared to what Self has done with them, etc.

Someone tell me what CLEAR advantages he had going to KU. Even IF there is an advantage or two in HIS mind, how could it overcome all the things with us???

Last edited:
I also see that as the upside to all of this. As much as I appreciate what's been accomplished, I've gotten a little tired of the mega-jumbo lineups that UK's been putting on the floor since 2012, lineups that often result in a clogged toilet halfcourt offense. Now, there's really not much choice but to go smaller. Even if Cal chooses to start Labissiere, Lee, and Poythress, there's going to be huge chunks of time when one of those 3 isn't playing.

Beyond that, this is now or never time for Poythress and Lee. They've had so many guys around them that it's been easy for them to get lost in the shuffle. Not now. No question that both get 25+ minutes a game, and either they live up to their potential, or UK is a mid-level tournament team that bows out no later than the Sweet 16. That's kind of exciting in a sense, but also, admittedly, pretty frightening.

Agreed. I'm kinda looking forward to seeing us play some smaller faster lineups for a change, and running in the open court more.

The other good part is this likely means no more experimenting with Poythress at the three. Thank god. Poy is fun to watch at the 4, but it can be flat out torture watching him try to play out on the perimeter at the 3. This news should mean he'll play at his natural power forward spot this year.

Diallo is so stupid to pick KU over UK, I know I'm a lil salty cuz he picked them over us, but really it's a terrible buisness decision, Calipari develops players, especially big guys, better than anybody. Take Cliff Alexander for example, a projected OAD comin out of high school last year and now look at him with one year under Self... Terrible decision by Diallo, I hope he stays there 4 years and goes undrafted foreal. I put money on it that Marcus Lee and Poythress have better years next year than CDiallo!

What are you... 12? GEEZ, man up just a little bit there kid.

I would argue that Cal no longer has the best reputation for preparing players for the NBA. Yeah, John Wall and A.D. are All-Stars and PPat, MKG, and TJ are doing O.K. But all of those were 2012 and before. Since 2012 ... Wiltjer goes to Gonzaga and becomes an All-American; Nerlens is doing well, but Cal only had him for half a season; Archie - the guy to whom Cal said, publicly, "I can't coach you" - is doing well; the Harrisons and Dakari went down the draft board. Lamb and Teague are in the D-League. WCS made zero improvement, offensively, in 3 years. Etc.

Reactions: Fancatstik
I would argue that Cal no longer has the best reputation for preparing players for the NBA. Yeah, John Wall and A.D. are All-Stars and PPat, MKG, and TJ are doing O.K. But all of those were 2012 and before. Since 2012 ... Wiltjer goes to Gonzaga and becomes an All-American; Nerlens is doing well, but Cal only had him for half a season; Archie - the guy to whom Cal said, publicly, "I can't coach you" - is doing well; the Harrisons and Dakari went down the draft board. Lamb and Teague are in the D-League. WCS made zero improvement, offensively, in 3 years. Etc.
Cousins.

If you think Self, K and others aren't selling that UK's last three classes have not been NBA slam dunks, you are blinded by too much blue. All three were #1 classes, with loads of top ten and top twenty recruits. But too many injuries, and draft board slippers.

Here are 5 star guys....

--Only Noel has succeed, and his stock fell when he got hurt. Cost him some cash.
--WCS also got hurt after his sophomore year, and other coaches are telling kids that is why he came back.
--Poy is coming back for year #4. He never expected that to have to happen. But little development, and then an injury
--Goodwin. Do I even have to say it.
--Only Randle and Young got to go OAD - and Randle got hurt before he ever really played.
--Young got more NBDL than NBA minutes
--Harrisons - consensus top ten to bottom of the second round
--Dakari - top 20 (or better) expectation - stayed two years and there are threads all over this board asking why he is going so soon, that he isn't ready.
--KAT - BIG PLUS, need to sell the heck out of that one. Got better, moved up
--Lyles - stayed the same, at best, definitely not climbing the boards
--Booker - another good story
--Ulis - nobody ever thought he'd be OAD

The other coaches are successfully selling that too much competition is causing two things to happen:
...break down injuries from over practicing with competition
...not enough PT to develop against top notch competition.

It isn't easy to swallow, but you can be sure the kids are hearing it.

Yes, seven are going into draft...but three are looking at round 2 at best.

None of them expected that when they got to Lexington.
So let me see if I understand this...

Calipari produces 4 top-10 picks, and 5 other near lottery picks over the past 3 seasons. But he hasn't been doing great because a few other guys decided to come back? Oh yeah, and WCS was ranked #40-50 recruit and Calipari developed him into a top-10 pick right out of Self's back yard.

A lot of the guys you list (Goodwin, Poythress, Dakari, WCS, Booker, Ulis) were never considered OAD prospects to begin with. The only let down out of Cal's last few classes where the Harrison twins, and that's only because they were ranked too high out of H.S.

What do you mean?

First off hoping a kid has a terrible time in school and never fulfills his dreams because he did not attend your school is immature and petty.

Comparing Alexander when we have multiple guys on our team that have had the same experience:

Andrew
Aaron
Alex
Marcus
Dakari

Makes you look dumb because that is a very easy retort by rivals.

Be upset we lost a recruit, but try to be a little bit more mature about it, you have no idea why he chose KU, these kids have their own reasons. Wishing ill things on kids and living in a glass house doesn't bode well.

Why can't I hope he don't get drafted? Why would I care about the success of any player that doesn't attend the university that I root for? Only players I want to see doin' well is players that played for UK.

And Cliff Alexander was a top 5 player his senior year in high school, bill self hasn't developed him to his potential. He should've been one and done, so I don't know what you mean here? If Alexander comes to UK he's a top 10 pick right there with Willie Cauley-Stein.

First off hoping a kid has a terrible time in school and never fulfills his dreams because he did not attend your school is immature and petty.

Comparing Alexander when we have multiple guys on our team that have had the same experience:

Andrew
Aaron
Alex
Marcus
Dakari

Be upset we lost a recruit, but try to be a little bit more mature about it, you have no idea why he chose KU, these kids have their own reasons. Wishing ill things on kids and living in a glass house doesn't bode well.

Why can't I hope he don't get drafted? Why would I care about the success of any player that doesn't attend the university that I root for? Only players I want to see doin' well is players that played for UK.

And Cliff Alexander was a top 5 player his senior year in high school, bill self hasn't developed him to his potential. He should've been one and done, so I don't know what you mean here? If Alexander comes to UK he's a top 10 pick right there with Willie Cauley-Stein.

Just like Alex and the Twins? Se how that works simpleton? Why did dakari come back? He was rated over embiid early on.

You can't use Alexander if ur team has kids that are exactly the same.

You want wish a kid I'll will do it. I'm guess ur under 25 and if so there is no use even talking to you.

I'm on the phone now so I cannot edit places for some reason.

Just like Alex and the Twins? Se how that works simpleton? Why did dakari come back? He was rated over embiid early on.

You can't use Alexander if ur team has kids that are exactly the same.

You want wish a kid I'll will do it. I'm guess ur under 25 and if so there is no use even talking to you.

I'm on the phone now so I cannot edit places for some reason.

Dude, I'm saying hypothetically that if say we had cliff Alexander as a freshmen on this years team, say instead of willie cauley-stein, then CA would've been a top 10 pick in this years draft. Alexander and Diallo did themselves a disservice economically by choosing KU over UK.

Alexander is better than Johnson, the twins, and Poythress were as freshman, Poythress would've been a lottery pick if he don't hurt his knee?

Dude, I'm saying hypothetically that if say we had cliff Alexander as a freshmen on this years team, say instead of willie cauley-stein, then CA would've been a top 10 pick in this years draft. Alexander and Diallo did themselves a disservice economically by choosing KU over UK.

Alexander is better than Johnson, the twins, and Poythress were as freshman, Poythress would've been a lottery pick if he don't hurt his knee?

Or if we had CA instead of towns, hypothetically, if we did, cal would've made cliff a top 10 pick this year, after his first season of college basketball.

188r7uyq7hnqqgif.gif

Willie could have easily been first round after freshman year, and lotto last year

Another guess on your part.

KU fans can say Self could take the #1 Pg and #1 SG and put them in the first round, we didn't.

Alex was a top SF, Dakari was a top C neither have gone where everyone expected. Dakari was ranked ahead of Embiid who went #2, right at the end Dakari ended up on spot below Embiid and didn't go to the league and Might make the 1st round.

Poy lottery? He did worse his sophomore year, again you have no idea.

Cliff could have been just like Alex or the twins you don't know.

Dumb argument, we have more "should have been OAD's" on this past roster than anyone.

You don't now who Cliff is better than, just your opinion.

You want a kid to have a bad career because he didn't choose your team... boohoo

You think one of their OAD's would have done better with us, when we have 4, that other fans throw up in our face. How silly are you?

This is like talking to a teenager who only sees his team and what he wants to see. Open your eyes child.

Reactions: Duanep5ku

Andrew
Aaron
Alex
Marcus
Dakari

Yep, and you could also throw in past guys like Harrow, Wiltjer, Goodwin, and even Teague, all much-hyped 5 stars who failed to become what they were projected to be at UK.

Always amuses me how our fans will point to someone else's player losing draft stock as an indictment on the other coach without bothering to notice that Cal's had plenty of those stock-droppers himself. Hell, as you noted, just this year's team alone had five.

Last edited:
D

KU fans can say Self could take the #1 Pg and #1 SG and put them in the first round, we didn't.

Alex was a top SF, Dakari was a top C neither have gone where everyone expected. Dakari was ranked ahead of Embiid who went #2, right at the end Dakari ended up on spot below Embiid and didn't go to the league and Might make the 1st round.

Dumb argument, we have more "should have been OAD's" on this past roster than anyone.

You want a kid to have a bad career because he didn't choose your team... boohoo

You think one of their OAD's would have done better with us, when we have 4, that other fans throw up in our face. How silly are you?

This is like talking to a teenager who only sees his team and what he wants to see. Open your eyes child.

Have you ever watched D. Johnson play? He was clearly not a one and done I didn't even think he was a OAD as a senior at montverde, he couldn't jump over a Sunday newspaper.
The twins are the only recruits that were projected OADs that didn't pan out.

You talk like you missed most of last year. We had a great year nothing to make apology's or excuses about. We were still the best team just didn't close out against Wisconsin. It happens. I still would have liked our chances against Duke. Unfortunately we did not take care of business against Wisconsin.

You talk like you missed most of last year. We had a great year nothing to make apology's or excuses about. We were still the best team just didn't close out against Wisconsin. It happens. I still would have liked our chances against Duke. Unfortunately we did not take care of business against Wisconsin.

WTH is that post supposed to mean? Read all the posts above and realize the conjecture and purpose of what someone posts, that statement had nothing to do with our play this year.

WTH is that post supposed to mean? Read all the posts above and realize the conjecture and purpose of what someone posts, that statement had nothing to do with our play this year.
Sorry ,I posted this on the wrong quote.

D

Have you ever watched D. Johnson play? He was clearly not a one and done I didn't even think he was a OAD as a senior at montverde, he couldn't jump over a Sunday newspaper.
The twins are the only recruits that were projected OADs that didn't pan out.
Have you ever considered the very likely possibility that Dakari Johnson and Cliff Alexander were both overrated coming out of high school and their stock falling was not Self's or Cal's fault? Jesus Christ dude...

ADVERTISEMENT