ADVERTISEMENT

Derek Anderson on KSR

Good night, Zay. I hope that the rest of your life is more successful than UK has been the last 6 years. That's a crazy high bar, but I really do want to see you happy.

Reactions: .S&C.
Good night, Zay. I hope that the rest of your life is more successful than UK has been the last 6 years. That's a crazy high bar, but I really do want to see you happy.

lol...damn. I hope my life reaches maybe Michigan basketball or something similar. :D

Wow I just realized you live in Paris Tn. I'm from Dyersburg. I come to Paris all the time to fish Kentucky Lake.
Lol that's crazy. Next time you come through here, start a thread and let me know and I'll come out to the lake and meet the famous S&C lol. I've always thought it'd be cool to meet certain posters in person.

Lol that's crazy. Next time you come through here, start a thread and let me know and I'll come out to the lake and meet the famous S&C lol. I've always thought it'd be cool to meet certain posters in person.

Will do. Look for it.

Thanks but all of the success we've had makes coming away with just one title even harder to handle. That's really my only point. But again thanks.

Well, I was just making a joke, but I'll try to revise it just for you.

I hope you have a really so-so, unremarkable year, but then one night you find yourself in bed with a supermodel - and then she never calls you again after the next morning, and you return to your old samey routine for the rest of your life, so that your expectations never get too high. But at least you'll have enjoyed something really special.

Better? I'm really trying for you, man. :D

Lmao yeah right. If we had actually won titles like the Bulls then there wouldn't be any criticism. Fact is, we have had the most talent more the half of the time Cal has been here and only have one title, which took a player who could go down as one of the best ever, to win it. The FF's are nice but meaningless really. I'm to the point where I'd rather just make a FF every 3-5 years than to go every year and get beat. Cal is starting to earn a Bill Self reputation, Self is to the 2nd round what Cal is to the Final Four.

Dude....your retarded if your post is sincere. I'm dumber for having read your post. Your basketball IQ is like 2 if you're serious.

This guy and DeCourcy both made Anderson look silly. Jones did a pretty good job this morning, but he took it easy on him because he's a UK guy. You can love Derek for what he did here, and for what he's done since leaving, but he is not cut out for stuff like TV commentary. His opinions are rash, ill-informed, and not at all backed up with evidence. He just spouts off and when called on it, says he didn't really mean what he said and it was misconstrued.

This guy and DeCourcy both made Anderson look silly. Jones did a pretty good job this morning, but he took it easy on him because he's a UK guy. You can love Derek for what he did here, and for what he's done since leaving, but he is not cut out for stuff like TV commentary. His opinions are rash, ill-informed, and not at all backed up with evidence. He just spouts off and when called on it, says he didn't really mean what he said and it was misconstrued.

I will say though, and Im not attempting to change direction, but Matt Jones really doesn't have a leg to stand on here. I never fully realized just how insane his comments were about Cal. What Derek said is nowhere near the level of Matt's comments. I read a list of all 10 or 11 of them form 2007 or 2008. Matt Jones called Cal everything from basically criminal to slime, and he did it over and over. It wasn't until Cal accepted the job here that changed his tune(accessibility issues Matt?). Ive always stated I don't have a huge gripe with Jones, and I don't, but damn he's got no right. Like I said earlier, being apologetic doesnt give him a right to be a hypocrite. but hey, he's a media type, I get it.

DeCoursy is one of the best in the biz. All these different points are valid.

Again, I am not attempting to deflect, I just SMH when I hear Matt Jones calling anyone out for comments about coach Cal.

Last edited:
Lmao yeah right. If we had actually won titles like the Bulls then there wouldn't be any criticism. Fact is, we have had the most talent more the half of the time Cal has been here and only have one title, which took a player who could go down as one of the best ever, to win it. The FF's are nice but meaningless really. I'm to the point where I'd rather just make a FF every 3-5 years than to go every year and get beat. Cal is starting to earn a Bill Self reputation, Self is to the 2nd round what Cal is to the Final Four.
OK, it's official. You're dumb as shit.

This needs to be emphasized. A guy who is just okay at Xs and Os takes a roster with ONE NBA player and zero other high-major recruits and beats the GOAT team by 10 points?

Are you GD kidding me?

Yep. This point really can't be made enough in these kinds of conversations. Marcus Camby and 5 other guys from the Y. All you heard then was that Cal was a great coach, not just a recruiter, but a great coach. Justifiably so - hard to look at that roster and the results and come to any other conclusion. Amazing how once he started recruiting really well he became a mediocre coach (however narrowly the speaker wants to define "coach"). Second, lesser point is that's why I take the 2012 Cats in these mythical matchups we like to discuss with the '96 team. Cal just has Ricks number, the way he coaches and the kinds of players and mentalities he puts on the floor is a Pitino anti-dote. If he could beat that 96 team by 10 with Marcus and 5 nobodies (and be in a 2 point game in the final minute in the final four game later that year before losing by 7), then I'm pretty sure he'd do ok with AD and MKG.....

I love Cal as much as any UK fan but the worship of him and not being able to say anything critical about him is ridiculous. Derek told the truth and yall can't handle it.

Btw, Derek said "somebody like WCS". He didn't say WCS specifically should him pressed uconn.

I think you need to listen to DA's comments again, he most certainly did say WCS, he THEN said "somebody like WCS" after MJ corrected him. Listen to it again.
Oh, and who the heck would that "someone like WCS" be? Lee? GTFOOH.
I want to see DA try his hand at coaching, walk a mile in a coaches shoes before you criticize. Then see how he likes it when someone plays Monday morning quarterback on a rival's radio show.
That was a BS move by DA, keep it in house.

I'm not sure anything can help you. Anger management courses are the only thing that I can suggest. But I will say it's not healthy to be this upset.

Yep. This point really can't be made enough in these kinds of conversations. Marcus Camby and 5 other guys from the Y. All you heard then was that Cal was a great coach, not just a recruiter, but a great coach. Justifiably so - hard to look at that roster and the results and come to any other conclusion. Amazing how once he started recruiting really well he became a mediocre coach (however narrowly the speaker wants to define "coach"). Second, lesser point is that's why I take the 2012 Cats in these mythical matchups we like to discuss with the '96 team. Cal just has Ricks number, the way he coaches and the kinds of players and mentalities he puts on the floor is a Pitino anti-dote. If he could beat that 96 team by 10 with Marcus and 5 nobodies (and be in a 2 point game in the final minute in the final four game later that year before losing by 7), then I'm pretty sure he'd do ok with AD and MKG.....

"5 other guys from the 'Y'..." lol. the lengths some will go to...

Reactions: ZaytovenCat
Calipari's ability to coach would never be in question if not for the fact that every year he has the best players.

When you have the absolute best of the best how do you define success?

If I have the fastest car on the race track by a large margin, what would be the expectation for my racing career? If I finish final four in 4 out of 6 races and win one of those with the same car that everyone else has then Im a phenomenal driver. If my car is faster than everyone else's and I have those same results what kind of driver am I?

Again, I really don't know the answer to this. I do know that as the years pile up and number 1 recruiting class after number 1 recruiting come in and out, its actually reasonable to expect more than one title. And I agree with the above poster, its a bit worrisome that the one title took arguably the best college player in the modern era to win, along with the number 2 pick in the draft.

Cal's multiple final fours are great, but when you have the best players is it really impressive? And I mean that in all sincerity.

Reactions: ZaytovenCat
I will say though, and Im not attempting to change direction, but Matt Jones really doesn't have a leg to stand on here. I never fully realized just how insane his comments were about Cal. What Derek said is nowhere near the level of Matt's comments. I read a list of all 10 or 11 of them form 2007 or 2008. Matt Jones called Cal everything from basically criminal to slime, and he did it over and over. It wasn't until Cal accepted the job here that changed his tune(accessibility issues Matt?). Ive always stated I don't have a huge gripe with Jones, and I don't, but damn he's got no right. Like I said earlier, being apologetic doesnt give him a right to be a hypocrite. but hey, he's a media type, I get it.

DeCoursy is one of the best in the biz. All these different points are valid.

Again, I am not attempting to deflect, I just SMH when I hear Matt Jones calling anyone out for comments about coach Cal.

Meh, that's an apples and oranges thing really. Matt was being a UK fan, believing the rumors about Cal before he was even talked about for the UK job. He admits he wasn't informed and was just engaging in what fans do. Totally different than this thing. DA is a UK guy talking about a UK coach, and when Jones was talking to him about his statements, he was referring to specifics comments that DA made, which didn't make sense. The issue wasn't rumors about cheating and being slimy.

Calipari's ability to coach would never be in question if not for the fact that every year he has the best players.

If I have the fastest car on the race track by a large margin, what would be the expectation for my racing career? If I finish final four in 4 out of 6 races and win one of those with the same car that everyone else has then Im a phenomenal driver. If my car is faster than everyone else's and I have those same results what kind of driver am I?

Again, I really don't know the answer to this. I do know that as the years pile up and number 1 recruiting class after number 1 recruiting come in and out, its actually reasonable to expect more than one title. And I agree with the above poster, its a bit worrisome that the one title took arguably the best college player in the modern era to win, along with the number 2 pick in the draft.

Cal's multiple final fours are great, but when you have the best players is it really impressive? And I mean that in all sincerity.

Jesus, you get worse and worse every time you post.

Reactions: michaeluk26
Meh, that's an apples and oranges thing really. Matt was being a UK fan, believing the rumors about Cal before he was even talked about for the UK job. He admits he wasn't informed and was just engaging in what fans do. Totally different than this thing. DA is a UK guy talking about a UK coach, and when Jones was talking to him about his statements, he was referring to specifics comments that DA made, which didn't make sense. The issue wasn't rumors about cheating and being slimy.

Not sure it is really apples and oranges. It kind of sounds like people are giving him the John Stewart treatment here. Hail the great comedic politician when he's right, just a funny comedian when he's wrong. Matt cant stant behind being a fan with those comments. And its not that he just believed the rumors. He really went into some detail, outlining how he knows coaches and no one thinks Cal is clean. And really, that is a light version.You're right that he back tracked and said he wasn't informed, after he said he was basing his information off of actually being informed. Thats the irony here.

Like I said, not to change direction or try and justify some of the comments by using a red herring, but Jones talking about anyone slamming Cal is just, well, silly.

Thats my opinion anyway.

If I have the fastest car on the race track by a large margin....

I do know that as the years pile up and number 1 recruiting class after number 1 recruiting come in and out, its actually reasonable to expect more than one title.

Cal's multiple final fours are great, but when you have the best players is it really impressive?

Now we're getting somewhere. I think you've framed it wrong: you simply believe our teams have been better than what they've really been the last 6 years. At least, IMO. To use your car analogy, you think Cal us driving a car that tops out at 200 mph, and the nearest competitor is at 150. I don't think it's anything like that. He's had the best team two times. Not all 6 years. Twice. You can argue he had the most talent in 2010, but that's not the same as the best team. I think there's two points I'd make. First, by now everyone takes for granted how hard it is to be successful with a turnover every year. Always among the youngest teams, always starting from scratch to define roles and build chemistry. Yes, I know Cal is responsible for that, I'm just saying before you stand back and say he has the highest rated high school players every year and then try to correlate that to having the best college team, that should be considered. Second, the fact that he has the best class every year has very little cumulative value. He can't stockpile. Like I said about Dean Smith the other day, he got a class with Worthy, next year a class with Perkins, next year a class with Jordan - and in year three he had them all. He stockpiled. Cal can't do that in this era.

Reactions: michaeluk26

Would you admit that the "best team" doesn't always win the NC? Plus he made FFs with Memphis and Umass without the best players so that shoots a big hole in your theory.

Now we're getting somewhere. I think you've framed it wrong: you simply believe our teams have been better than what they've really been the last 6 years. At least, IMO. To use your car analogy, you think Cal us driving a car that tops out at 200 mph, and the nearest competitor is at 150. I don't think it's anything like that. He's had the best team two times. Not all 6 years. Twice. You can argue he had the most talent in 2010, but that's not the same as the best team. I think there's two points I'd make. First, by now everyone takes for granted how hard it is to be successful with a turnover every year. Always among the youngest teams, always starting from scratch to define roles and build chemistry. Yes, I know Cal is responsible for that, I'm just saying before you stand back and say he has the highest rated high school players every year and then try to correlate that to having the best college team, that should be considered. Second, the fact that he has the best class every year has very little cumulative value. He can't stockpile. Like I said about Dean Smith the other day, he got a class with Worthy, next year a class with Perkins, next year a class with Jordan - and in year three he had them all. He stockpiled. Cal can't do that in this era.

Thats a good point, and to stay with the Car analogy, he may have the fastest car every year, but he never knows how the gears will respond.

Would you admit that the "best team" doesn't always win the NC? Plus he made FFs with Memphis and Umass without the best players so that shoots a big hole in your theory.

Yes I will admit that. Damn hard thing to do, win 6 games in march and april regardless of talent.

I don't know why so many keep thinking he didn't have the best players at Umass. We all of course remember Camby, who was like the Anthony Davis of his time, but Cal's backcourt in 96' was arguably the best in the nation. Everyone leaves that part out. He's had phenomenal players everywhere he's been. What he should be praised for is getting those great players to those schools.

In other words, in the years he has made the final four he has had the best players. You'll have to try again.

So If Cal and Self both leave white castle at two in the morning driving around 120 mph, and Roy is in his rented
Yes I will admit that. Damn hard thing to do, win 6 games in march and april regardless of talent.

I don't know why so many keep thinking he didn't have the best players at Umass. We all of course remember Camby, who was like the Anthony Davis of his time, but Cal's backcourt in 96' was arguably the best in the nation. Everyone leaves that part out. He's had phenomenal players everywhere he's been. What he should be praised for is getting those great players to those schools.

In other words, in the years he has made the final four he has had the best players. You'll have to try again.

I'd have to say , at minimum, 1996 UK was absolutely better than what he had. Just to list one. Cant argue Sagarins rated number one team of all time, our 90's boys.

The thing with Cal I'll say, is X's and O's are not his strength. He's had teams where he has pulled some amazing coaching jobs here, at UMass, and even at Memphis. But it's not always his strength. It's probably going to let him down more times than it's not. His strength is talent, getting that talent to gel and play together, and recruiting that talent. Those are not going to let him down most of the time. But there have been moments. 2013 comes to mind of a team that didn't gel.

He runs a vanilla offense. Man to man defense, doesn't like to zone. A lot of that is the youth of his teams but some of it is that requires a lot of strategy and having to mix things up in the game. It doesn't make him a bad coach or anything like that. It means he has his strengths and weaknesses, just like every coach in the country. Th key is hoping your strengths out weigh your weaknesses. For Cal, esp at UK, that has happened. But there have been a couple times he was out X'd and O'd that his strengths couldn't beat. It's happened to every coach in the country.

I think 2013 is probably the biggest indictment anyone is going to find. I mean people can argue all day long what would have happend had Noel not been hurt but the fact of the matter is we were losing games before he got hurt. The roster was full of 4 & 5 star players. How do you not make the tournament?

Say again, even with Noel going down, you still have a roster full of talent. He said it himself, he was an NIT coach that year and I agree with him. No way with that kind of talent do you go to the NIT.

They might have made themselves the best but try doing a little research and see what they were ranked in high school. Besides Camby, the rest were not the elite recruits when they came to UMass, you will need to try harder then to just make remarks without facts but then again thats what you do.

I don't know why so many keep thinking he didn't have the best players at Umass. We all of course remember Camby, who was like the Anthony Davis of his time, but Cal's backcourt in 96' was arguably the best in the nation. Everyone leaves that part out. He's had phenomenal players everywhere he's been.

I'll meet you part of the way on that. Around here, it's common to narrowly assess a player's ability in terms of NBA potential. That's what I was doing when I said it was Camby and 5 guys from the Y. Actually, I just looked, and it's really 4 - the 6th man on that team didn't really get much time, less than 15 minutes in the box scores I looked at. Admittedly, you can be a really good college player without getting to the NBA, and it's true that Travieso and Padillo were a gutty, very effective college backcourt. They were a great team - but I think that's the point. Back then, everyone looked at a team with no bench and one future pro, a team that was legitimately great I think and at a time when college hoops was at a high water mark (so no mediocre teams that looked great due to watered comp) - everyone saw that and said, that guy is a great coach.

But I wouldn't say he had "phenomenal players". That UK team had 8 guys that had long, good to great NBA careers, plus Hawkins and Turner who were good enough to at least make an NBA roster. UMass? One guy that played even a second in the pros........

I think 2013 is probably the biggest indictment anyone is going to find. I mean people can argue all day long what would have happend had Noel not been hurt but the fact of the matter is we were losing games before he got hurt. The roster was full of 4 & 5 star players. How do you not make the tournament?

Say again, even with Noel going down, you still have a roster full of talent. He said it himself, he was an NIT coach that year and I agree with him. No way with that kind of talent do you go to the NIT.

Again you speak without any facts. The freshmen, Alex, Archie, and Nerlens was MDAAs, Willie was not, he was a football player. Kyle was back for his second year, and the rest were transfers, Beckham, May, and Harrow. Kyle and Archie had a very difficult season along with Willie who want NOT expected to be a starter but Nerlens went down with an injury and was out for the season. This was NOT a roster full of talent, if you think so, keep your day job. We went 4-6 the rest of the way when Nerlens went down. At the time I believe we were 17-6.

They might have made themselves the best but try doing a little research and see what they were ranked in high school. Besides Camby, the rest were not the elite recruits when they came to UMass, you will need to try harder then to just make remarks without facts but then again thats what you do.

Lol...they weren't playing in the NCAA tournament as high schoolers. They were college players. Really good ones.

It may be you that needs to try harder.

Again you speak without any facts. The freshmen, Alex, Archie, and Nerlens was MDAAs, Willie was not, he was a football player. Kyle was back for his second year, and the rest were transfers, Beckham, May, and Harrow. Kyle and Archie had a very difficult season along with Willie who want NOT expected to be a starter but Nerlens went down with an injury and was out for the season. This was NOT a roster full of talent, if you think so, keep your day job. We went 4-6 the rest of the way when Nerlens went down. At the time I believe we were 17-6.

Re-read my post on this and try try again. Amazing you keep trying to come after me with nothing. I said that player had 4 &5 stars. Are 4 & 5 stars not considered talented players?

Lets just break down the playres you named; Alex, Archie, Nerlens.....al 5 stars. Willie was a 4-star and when Harrow was coming out of high school he was a 4 star. Kyle was also a 5 star (with a year of experience).

Even with Nerlens getting hurt, thats still 5 players 4-star and higher. How is that not a roster full of talent?

Try again and Ill just smack you down again. This is like taking candy from a baby. I will be waiting...

FAAAAAAAARRRRRR Cal

Some of you are so bad it's almost as if the ignore button was invented to keep me from getting dumber by reading your idiocy.

Re-read my post on this and try try again. Amazing you keep trying to come after me with nothing. I said that player had 4 &5 stars. Are 4 & 5 stars not considered talented players?

Lets just break down the playres you named; Alex, Archie, Nerlens.....al 5 stars. Willie was a 4-star and when Harrow was coming out of high school he was a 4 star. Kyle was also a 5 star (with a year of experience).

Even with Nerlens getting hurt, thats still 5 players 4-star and higher. How is that not a roster full of talent?

Try again and Ill just smack you down again. This is like taking candy from a baby. I will be waiting...

Tough guys like you are a dime a dozen, it would be funny to see you and that gut waddling out behind that keyboard trying to smack anyone. Lame, plus you are still the worse poster on here that has NO facts, remember your words, the ROSTER was full of 4 and 5 stars, and you admit there were only 5 left when Nerlens went down, Ha, what a turd, are you sure that you are not a ul fan. LOL

FFFFFAAAAAAARRRRRRR CAL

Some of you are so bad it's almost as if the ignore button was invented to keep me from getting dumber by reading your idiocy.[/QUOTE]

Find me one person who thinks we should fire Cal on this message board. just one.

Find me one person who thinks Cal is a bad coach. Just one.

Your ignore button is apparently used to deny some reality you can't deal with.:p

FAAAAAAAARRRRRR Cal

Some of you are so bad it's almost as if the ignore button was invented to keep me from getting dumber by reading your idiocy.

Irony drips from this post. Just curious, but where, anywhere, have you read anyone, even one person, say Cal should be fired?
I'll hang up & wait for your response.

The thing with Cal I'll say, is X's and O's are not his strength. He's had teams where he has pulled some amazing coaching jobs here, at UMass, and even at Memphis. But it's not always his strength. It's probably going to let him down more times than it's not. His strength is talent, getting that talent to gel and play together, and recruiting that talent. Those are not going to let him down most of the time. But there have been moments. 2013 comes to mind of a team that didn't gel.

He runs a vanilla offense. Man to man defense, doesn't like to zone. A lot of that is the youth of his teams but some of it is that requires a lot of strategy and having to mix things up in the game. It doesn't make him a bad coach or anything like that. It means he has his strengths and weaknesses, just like every coach in the country. Th key is hoping your strengths out weigh your weaknesses. For Cal, esp at UK, that has happened. But there have been a couple times he was out X'd and O'd that his strengths couldn't beat. It's happened to every coach in the country.

great post and fairly accurate. I think he's a better floor coach than most rivals believe, but I don't think its a strength like some of our own believe. Theres a middle ground.

Reactions: kats23
FFFFFAAAAAAARRRRRRR CAL

Find me one person who thinks we should fire Cal on this message board. just one.

Find me one person who thinks Cal is a bad coach. Just one.

Your ignore button is apparently used to deny some reality you can't deal with.:p[/QUOTE]

My ignore button is used for random dudes on the Internet who think they know more about basketball than a HOF coach.

:eek::p:(

Tough guys like you are a dime a dozen, it would be funny to see you and that gut waddling out behind that keyboard trying to smack anyone. Lame, plus you are still the worse poster on here that has NO facts, remember your words, the ROSTER was full of 4 and 5 stars, and you admit there were only 5 left when Nerlens went down, Ha, what a turd, are you sure that you are not a ul fan. LOL

So you don't think a roster with 6 players 4* or higher is FULL of talent? I mean how many teams out there have that many 4 and 5 stars? You act as if everyone in the country has a team with multiple four and five stars. Newsflash, thats pretty damn rare.

Id like to see a statistic on how many teams with 5+ 4/5 star players have NOT made the tournament over the years. I bet its damn few.

You act as if when Nerlens got hurt that Cal was at a disadvantage because instead of having 6 players with 4/5 stars, he only had 5. Hahaha wow. How many players like that did Butler have when they made their run years ago?

When I said there were "5 left" i mean that as in thats ALOT. Damn you are dumb.

Last edited:
So you don't think a roster with 6 players 4* or higher is FULL of talent? I mean how many teams out there have that many 4 and 5 stars? You act as if everyone in the country has a team with multiple four and five stars. Newsflash, thats pretty damn rare. I would like to see a statistic on how many teams with 5+ 4/5 stars on their roster have not made the tournament. I think you will look like a fool once again on that.

I mean its as if you are saying "well hell, after Nerlens got hurt he only had five 4/5 stars left, no wonder he didn't make the tournament". I wonder how many 4 and 5 stars that Butler team had that went to the finals?

When I said there were "5 left" i mean that as in thats ALOT. Damn you are dumb.

ADVERTISEMENT