ADVERTISEMENT

Derek Anderson on KSR

I didn't read every comment in this thread because I don't have time. I read the first page and that was about it but I want to give my 2 cents.
I'm okay with some of the things he said but he went too far on a public forum.
I don't believe him when he says he didn't know it was a louisville crew that was interviewing him but I heard him say the mic said ESPN on it. That means he thought it was a national forum. Doesn't that make it even worse? Don't air your dirty laundry to the public. You don't see this happening to coach K after losing to Mercer in the first round and it shouldn't happen to Calipari after a FINAL FOUR loss. I don't like hearing our own people attack our coach like this, Cal gets enough of that from the national AND local media.

Thanks for the link. "Derek Anderson Could Not Have Been More Wrong". Heh. So that's Decourcy and now Dauster to publicly reprimand DA.

For the people saying "Some of what he said was right", you're gonna have to be specific. A lot of sloppy thinking here. If DA had said "The one and done is bad and I've seen Cal out-coached a few times", no big deal. But to say Cal pushes kids out and we should've pressed UConn, dumb dumb....

I love Cal as much as any UK fan but the worship of him and not being able to say anything critical about him is ridiculous. Derek told the truth and yall can't handle it.

Btw, Derek said "somebody like WCS". He didn't say WCS specifically should him pressed uconn.

Cal could have atleast tried pressuring unconn even if for a few minutes. But that's just it, he doesn't make adjustments and makes the worst decisions in our biggest games each year.

We have been the favorite in 3 of the 4 final fours and possibly even all 4 and yet we only have one title. That doesn't even count the most talented team not to win a title at UK, Wall's team. The only constant during those final fours is the coaching...

Cal could have atleast tried pressuring unconn even if for a few minutes. But that's just it, he doesn't make adjustments and makes the worst decisions in our biggest games each year.

We have been the favorite in 3 of the 4 final fours and possibly even all 4 and yet we only have one title. That doesn't even count the most talented team not to win a title at UK, Wall's team. The only constant during those final fours is the coaching...
Do you think Coach Cal is bad coach? Who could do a better job for us? Whom do you give the credit to for all of those FFs? Does Cal just roll the balls out there? Are the players that Coach Cal recruits so good that they don't need coaching? Is it Cal's fault that WCS and DJ couldn't learn the 1 foot shot? Adjust this.

Reactions: Jkwo
It pisses me off when men feel they are entitled to speak for what other men will not possess. In this case, D. Anderson feels he is entitled to speak for what Dakari Johnson will not possess: a college degree. How the hell does Derek Anderson know that?

Dakari has two years of college under his belt and it is reasonable to expect that a number of hours have been accomplished. Further, Dakari will very likely soon have enough money to easily cover the cost of tuition, books, food and other expenses should Dakari decide to finish his education when he is finished with professional basketball.

Yet, somehow, Mr. Anderson sees it appropriate to speak on Mr. Johnson's behalf, to anticipate what his achievements will not be in advance of his efforts. Mr. Anderson is allowing his audience to overlook his immoral assumption that Dakari Johnson will not be motivated to pursue things that will serve his best interest after professional basketball. Mr. Anderson is allowing his audience to overlook his immoral assumption that Dakari Johnson will fail.

Reactions: wildcatdonf
I disagree! What was built was gone. Cal inherited a crappy program that was going nowhere unless the right coach came along. He did & that was Cal. UK has done what it has done the last 6 years because of Cal not because the way the program was built. Ridiculous!

Again, the only way that some of you will shut up is for Cal to leave & the program return to mediocrity....then all you goons can cry & talk about the Cal days.

Dude you are off your meds. Who the hell is acting like a goon here? You go thread to thread attacking anyone who has a slightly different take than you, and apply any line of thinking that isn't what you perceive as tolerable as hate speech. Like here, you create a straw man then blast off. Whats ironic is you are bashing the Kentucky Program in an attempt to justify a position no one is really even questioning. Thats just as bad as the small group of individuals you claim to despise.

You have a very warped perception of this university and even Coach Cal has stated himself that he's grateful to have the recourses given to compete at this level. Its why he wanted the UK job in the first place. For the prestige, the recourses, and the spotlight that goes with THIS JOB. Of course we needed the right hire. ANY organization or program needs the right hire if they weren't on the correct path. Humans aren't perfect, and bad hires will be made. Thank God for Cal. Btw, I'm a Cardinal fan in baseball, thank God for Tony LaRussa. I'm sure the Tar Heels were very thankful for Roy Williams after Matt Doherty, wouldn't you say?

I spoke John Robic in 2009 at the Oxford Inn at Ole Miss. I asked what he thought the biggest difference in coaching at UK and UM was. He went on and on about SLEEP. He said "we get more family time and sleep", we being the coaching staff. They were able to recruit and still have time for family and sleep. At UM they were having to immediately fly out to multiple places to recruit. Recruit after recruit. Kentucky pulls lots of weight, regardless of what you think.

I can love UK, Calipari, and see the extraordinary qualities both possess, and I'm sorry you obviously don't feel the same.

Do you think Coach Cal is bad coach? Who could do a better job for us? Whom do you give the credit to for all of those FFs? Does Cal just roll the balls out there? Are the players that Coach Cal recruits so good that they don't need coaching? Is it Cal's fault that WCS and DJ couldn't learn the 1 foot shot? Adjust this.
:D

Yeah chief I think you would be wrong. Besides 2012 and this year I would say the others we were not. 2011 for sure we wasn't and without Willie in 2014, I am not sure that we were that big of favorites. Besides do you really think the twins and Young as freshmen could have pressured anybody? Without Willie in the paint to clean up our mistakes that year, Uconn would have beaten us worse by trying to pressure the ball.

I love Cal as much as any UK fan but the worship of him and not being able to say anything critical about him is ridiculous. Derek told the truth and yall can't handle it.
Except the people who criticized Derek in this thread have almost universally made specific critiques of what he said, with logic-based counter assertions.

Many have acknowledged that Cal has things to criticize, but that Derek's criticism was silly. And it was.

I don't think you love Cal. You've been consistently taking shots at him all season.

And I don't really care personally whether you like him or not - that's your business.

What bugs me is when you act like you're neutral and rational and that all the rest of us are being fanboys because we dare to present arguments against what Derek said, when all you have is "nuh uh" and zero suggestions for who on that roster was supposed to go face-to-face on Shabazz Napier and not get blazed by.

And we weren't the favorite in 3 of 4 final fours. We were the favorite in '12 and '15. In '11, Uconn had a higher seed. In '14, we were the lowest seed of the four.

Already in this thread I've posted examples of multiple current HOFers dropping the ball with the overall number 1 seeds including Self and K and Roy and how Cal is the 3rd top coach in the modern era for wins above expectations in the tourney and how even demigods like K and self have had a bunch of prominent recent huge upsets against them in the tourney, and the other guy made the perfect analogy about dominant NBA teams losing the first game in the series, and...

Agh you know what? Why am I wasting my time?

I looked at your posts again. You literally think that Cal isn't very good as a coach. It's like going to the zoo and trying to reason with a baboon, and all you get for your effort is a turd flung at your head.

I just hope that you realize that you are the stereotype. People like you give fodder to the crank analysts who say "they expect a championship basically every year" and "how can any coach stay there very long when a Final Four from a good team means people are questioning your ability?"

And then reasonable fans tweet at those ESPN personalities and say "cmon, man - stop exaggerating. We have high standards, but if we have a great coach who keeps us in the conversation almost every year, makes a decent number of final fours, we'll be happy."

And then the personalities say, "oh yeah? Look at this post from Zaytoven Cat. "

And then we're all, "don't worry about him - he was dropped on his head as a child".

But the damage is already done.

The most disappointing part to me is that Derek Anderson bashed Dakari on a Louisville radio program. that was just low.

Who was the favorite in 2011? Butler? He could have tried Hawkins. Hell just try something instead of sitting there hoping one of our guys will make plays and bail us out. That's the EXACT ish that got us beat with the 3 clock violations. Instead of putting in Ulis, Cal just sat there waiting for one of the twins to do something.

sorry didn't realize this was sarcasm. Carry on. Im red.:oops:

Last edited:
Who was the favorite in 2011? Butler? He could have tried Hawkins. Hell just try something instead of sitting there hoping one of our guys will make plays and bail us out. That's the EXACT ish that got us beat with the 3 clock violations. Instead of putting in Ulis, Cal just sat there waiting for one of the twins to do something.

He lost one game out of 39. Was there mistakes made in the Wisconsin game, for sure, but on the floor as much as the coaching. Its sort of like you dance with the girl you brought, not someone else. To be so upset with Cal after what we went through with Billy G, and Tubby's last five years, did you all of a sudden thought the last 6 years were expected? You may need help my friend.

I wouldn't be mad at all if we had just won this years title. I wouldn't be upset over the players leaving and missing recruits or the final four losses previously because I could say we have 2 titles in 6 years. But instead we lose with an unbeaten team and have one title in 6 years with 4 of those years being right there to win it. Then I watch 70% of the team bolt and we miss every damn recruit possible. So excuse me if I'm a little effing pissed off with the program and Cal. And no I haven't bashed Cal all year. I only started that a couple weeks ago when 42 freakin players declared for the draft without winning a title.

I don't expect a title every year or even a FF. But if you make the FF 4 outta 5 years and only come away with one title then you deserve criticism. That doesn't even include the Wall year.

Ok Poetax your right, I should be happy with choking in the FF 3 outta 4 times and with everything else bad that's happened.

Not that I agree with everything Zay said, but

question 1. No, he's an extrordianry coach who could probably be even better. Thats what scares so many people about Cal. His potential is through the roof. Do some of you realize how close he is to being just a couple titles away from coach K?

question 2. No one currently could do a better job, minus MAYBE one.

question 3. I give Calipari the Credit for those final fours, and the players.

question 4. no, Cal doesn't just roll the balls out there.

question 5. I don't even understand this question

question 6. He could have hand in on it. But neither are offensively gifted so probably not.

See, when we spend half the time arguing against red herrings and straw man arguments, then its no question why this never resolves itself. Nothing against you Don but its just a common theme around here. I guess maybe we all shouldn't discuss Cal in any way other than a grateful tone and carry on, but then what exactly are we here for?

Let me ask you, is it possible to love Coach Cal and also hold an opinion that he's shot himself in the foot in several big games? not saying you have to agree with that, just asking is it even possible?
Obviously. You and Zay are in different universes.

You've been saying all week that you wish Cal would've done X or Y, but that he's a great coach who is human and makes mistakes.

Zay, on the other hand, has been a negative nancy (to put it lightly) much of the season, and if you took the badge off of his name, he could easily be mistaken for a rival fan much of the time with the way he likes to pick arguments and take shots at people who are too pleased with things - like he needs to take it down a peg. it's a weird, trollish type of vibe he puts out.

Let me ask you, is it possible to love Coach Cal and also hold an opinion that he's shot himself in the foot in several big games? not saying you have to agree with that, just asking is it even possible?

We needed to get the ball in to Towns in that game. We could not get the ball in to him. Coach Cal said that. The Harrison twins were the best bet IMO. Maybe Cal should have called a TO. I'll give the detractors that. We just got ******* beat. Ship.

Maybe he has shot himself in the foot, but Cal can't play for these guys.

I don't have a problem with his coaching.

Not that I agree with everything Zay said, but

question 1. No, he's an extrordianry coach who could probably be even better. Thats what scares so many people about Cal. His potential is through the roof. Do some of you realize how close he is to being just a couple titles away from coach K?

question 2. No one currently could do a better job, minus MAYBE one.

question 3. I give Calipari the Credit for those final fours, and the players.

question 4. no, Cal doesn't just roll the balls out there.

question 5. I don't even understand this question

question 6. He could have hand in on it. But neither are offensively gifted so probably not.

See, when we spend half the time arguing against red herrings and straw man arguments, then its no question why this never resolves itself. Nothing against you Don but its just a common theme around here. I guess maybe we all shouldn't discuss Cal in any way other than a grateful tone and carry on, but then what exactly are we here for?

S&C, a couple of you ask this question several times when you are talking losses that we have incurred with Cal. Myself, I would agree with you if CAL was coaching teams like UConn and Wisconsin who had veteran players while our main contributors were true freshmen. The problem with true freshmen sometimes they hit the winning shot and make the coach look great and other times they blow it and make the coach look stupid. Cal knows this and has paid for their inconsistencies in the past but its the price we pay for having some of the best recruits in the nation playing for you.

I wouldn't be mad at all if we had just won this years title. I wouldn't be upset over the players leaving and missing recruits or the final four losses previously because I could say we have 2 titles in 6 years. But instead we lose with an unbeaten team and have one title in 6 years with 4 of those years being right there to win it. Then I watch 70% of the team bolt and we miss every damn recruit possible. So excuse me if I'm a little effing pissed off with the program and Cal. And no I haven't bashed Cal all year. I only started that a couple weeks ago when 42 freakin players declared for the draft without winning a title.

I don't expect a title every year or even a FF. But if you make the FF 4 outta 5 years and only come away with one title then you deserve criticism. That doesn't even include the Wall year.
You've been taking shots for much of this season. I don't remember that many posters on here - they generally have to be really good or really bad, and I remember specifically from you a number of garbage takes - I'm thinking after some of the close wins you came out with fire in your belly if I recall. Again, I think you're just one of those legendary fans who are every bit unreasonable as the pundits think we are.

The rest of what you typed reads like 2nd grader babble, so I'm not gonna respond. We've already made the points to squash all of that 1000 times over. You're in irrational tantrum mode, I get it.

Jkwo you're so FOS. I haven't been negative all season. I'm only negative when we lose. In fact I really only post when we lose or something bad happens because I need to vent. When things are going great I don't feel the need to post that much. Since nobody knows the people behind the screen name I can see how you would think I'm trolling or I'm always negative but that's not the case.

I am realistic though and can't stand the "rah rah go go UK, everything is great no matter how many go pro or how many recruits we lose or how many times we lose in the FF." I wish those types would jump off a bridge or go be a fan of some other team.

You remember me because I don't have the same type posts as 85% of the board saying how everything here is perfect.

Jkwo you're so FOS. I haven't been negative all season. I'm only negative when we lose. In fact I really only post when we lose or something bad happens because I need to vent. When things are going great I don't feel the need to post that much. Since nobody knows the people behind the screen name I can see how you would think I'm trolling or I'm always negative but that's not the case.

I am realistic though and can't stand the "rah rah go go UK, everything is great no matter how many go pro or how many recruits we lose or how many times we lose in the FF." I wish those types would jump off a bridge or go be a fan of some other team.
Lmao. You're too perfect, man. I couldn't make this stuff up. Yes, you've come out when we've won close games, firey mad at Cal.

And realistic people don't go around on their home forum looking to pick fights with their fellow fans after the best first six years by a coach at a new school in the history of college basketball.

Zay, this is maybe the worst post of all times on this board (at least in the top 10.) Holy ship.

Reactions: michaeluk26
Dude you are off your meds. Who the hell is acting like a goon here? You go thread to thread attacking anyone who has a slightly different take than you, and apply any line of thinking that isn't what you perceive as tolerable as hate speech. Like here, you create a straw man then blast off. Whats ironic is you are bashing the Kentucky Program in an attempt to justify a position no one is really even questioning. Thats just as bad as the small group of individuals you claim to despise.

You have a very warped perception of this university and even Coach Cal has stated himself that he's grateful to have the recourses given to compete at this level. Its why he wanted the UK job in the first place. For the prestige, the recourses, and the spotlight that goes with THIS JOB. Of course we needed the right hire. ANY organization or program needs the right hire if they weren't on the correct path. Humans aren't perfect, and bad hires will be made. Thank God for Cal. Btw, I'm a Cardinal fan in baseball, thank God for Tony LaRussa. I'm sure the Tar Heels were very thankful for Roy Williams after Matt Doherty, wouldn't you say?

I spoke John Robic in 2009 at the Oxford Inn at Ole Miss. I asked what he thought the biggest difference in coaching at UK and UM was. He went on and on about SLEEP. He said "we get more family time and sleep", we being the coaching staff. They were able to recruit and still have time for family and sleep. At UM they were having to immediately fly out to multiple places to recruit. Recruit after recruit. Kentucky pulls lots of weight, regardless of what you think.

I can love UK, Calipari, and see the extraordinary qualities both possess, and I'm sorry you obviously don't feel the same.

Different opinions do not bother me at all....being very critical of a coach who's been to 6 final 4's...4 of them at UK in 6 years...& has won a national championship I cannot tolerate.

I don't feel myself or anyone on this board has earned a right to criticize that kind of success. It would be like the Chicago Bulls fan's in the 1990's constantly criticizing Phil Jackson & Micheal Jordan. It's just stupid! I don't understand what you don't get about what really makes myself & other fans so upset...it's fans who "think" they know better & bash away.

Derek Anderson should feel the need to go publicly apologize to Cal. He was way out of line. He's still close to Rick P & his "right way" comments reek Pitino. He can say whatever he wants...it was crystal clear that he thinks Cal cannot coach.

What's crazy...is that the only team to be the fabulous 1996 UK Wildcats in the regular season was a much, much less talented John Calipari coached UMASS team. Cal has done the time & he has merited respect as a coach. If one cannot see that & is still questioning his coaching ability at this point then they are just...."SLOW".

Lmao. You're too perfect, man. I couldn't make this stuff up. Yes, you've come out when we've won close games, firey mad at Cal.

And realistic people don't go around on their home forum looking to pick fights with their fellow fans after the best first six years by a coach at a new school in the history of college basketball.
No I didn't come out mad at Cal. During the season my anger was towards Andrew for the first part of the year. I didn't have a problem with Cal until the shot clock fiasco against Wisconsin. I'll eventually get over it but it'll take awhile.

And I don't look to pick fights. When I post it's likely not going to be like the other posts in a thread so I'm attacked for having a different opinion. Then I fight back. This thread I'll give you, my first post was unprovoked but it stemmed from the first DA thread.

And it is very possible that some of this shiz is just baiting some of the posters on here. We've seen it before. I've watched almost every second of every game that Cal has coached here, and there has been noting wrong with his coaching. He's not perfect, but nobody is.

What's crazy...is that the only team to be the fabulous 1996 UK Wildcats in the regular season was a much, much less talented John Calipari coached UMASS team. Cal has done the time & he has merited respect as a coach. If one cannot see that & is still questioning his coaching ability at this point then they are just...."SLOW".
This needs to be emphasized. A guy who is just okay at Xs and Os takes a roster with ONE NBA player and zero other high-major recruits and beats the GOAT team by 10 points?

Are you GD kidding me?

Oh, and with that same roster, he took that school, which had been to 1 tourney in 1962 in its whole history - he took them to 5 straight tourneys, with 3 sweet 16s, including an E8 and a F4. Averaged 30 wins a season over 5 years.

He had a 30 win season with s16 without Camby even on the roster, too. Just a bunch of guys from the Northeast that no one has ever heard from since.

UMASS had been to one tourney in history before he came. ONE.

Different opinions do not bother me at all....being very critical of a coach who's been to 6 final 4's...4 of them at UK in 6 years...& has won a national championship I cannot tolerate.

I don't feel myself or anyone on this board has earned a right to criticize that kind of success. It would be like the Chicago Bulls fan's in the 1990's constantly criticizing Phil Jackson & Micheal Jordan. It's just stupid! I don't understand what you don't get about what really makes myself & other fans so upset...it's fans who "think" they know better & bash away.

Derek Anderson should feel the need to go publicly apologize to Cal. He was way out of line. He's still close to Rick P & his "right way" comments reek Pitino. He can say whatever he wants...it was crystal clear that he thinks Cal cannot coach.

Lmao yeah right. If we had actually won titles like the Bulls then there wouldn't be any criticism. Fact is, we have had the most talent more the half of the time Cal has been here and only have one title, which took a player who could go down as one of the best ever, to win it. The FF's are nice but meaningless really. I'm to the point where I'd rather just make a FF every 3-5 years than to go every year and get beat. Cal is starting to earn a Bill Self reputation, Self is to the 2nd round what Cal is to the Final Four.

No I didn't come out mad at Cal. During the season my anger was towards Andrew for the first part of the year. I didn't have a problem with Cal until the shot clock fiasco against Wisconsin. I'll eventually get over it but it'll take awhile.

And I don't look to pick fights. When I post it's likely not going to be like the other posts in a thread so I'm attacked for having a different opinion. Then I fight back. This thread I'll give you, my first post was unprovoked but it stemmed from the first DA thread.
I don't care what you call it. You come on the forum to vent, as you put it. You already admitted that you're pissy towards Cal.

So again, a reasonable person does not come onto his home forum in a pissy and disagreeable mood (here, I'll change this part to your liking) waiting for an excuse to get defensive versus other fans on his home forum - after the best first six years by a coach at a new school in the history of college basketball. (Throw in Roy at UNC there, too - his was insane as well)

I was correct. This poster is baiting. How could we not have seen this earlier? I'm done. Baiting is ugly.
Are you going off the "Bill Self of Final Fours" quote? That one almost has me tipped over to thinking he's trolling around, too.

Could anyone really be that crazy to use such a phrase as an insult? If it's not a troll job, it's about the highest height of insane entitlement I think I've ever seen.

I wasn't being overly critical. So so much for that. I think what Cal has done here is excellent, and have stated that many times. You don't feel people have "earned" the right? Homes, this a fans message board. Id suggest you get some thicker skin. This might not be for you.

Phil Jackson and Michael Jordan won 6 national championships, lol. How in the world would a bulls fan have problem with that? Are you comparing the 2009-2015 wildcats to the late 80's and 90's Bulls?

I can agree with you that DA should in fact apologize for SOME of the comments.

My main issue here is the constant straw man. Who is saying Calipari isn't a great coach? who? Questioning some of his philosophy is not the same as "questioning him as a coach". Please learn the difference.

I appreciate you not calling me a goon, or responding to my entire thought. You really downgraded the UK program and kind of made it sound like its all meaningless. I gave a counter to that I hope everyone pays attention to.

Last edited:
Not baiting but I am done. Neither are going to change the opinion of the other person so I'm not wasting anymore time on it. Have a goodnight Jkwo.

Not baiting but I am done. Neither are going to change the opinion of the other person so I'm not wasting anymore time on it. Have a goodnight Jkwo.

Wow I just realized you live in Paris Tn. I'm from Dyersburg. I come to Paris all the time to fish Kentucky Lake.

Reactions: ZaytovenCat
ADVERTISEMENT