ADVERTISEMENT

Derek Anderson on KSR

This isn't to say we will ever be just mediocre but kids are coming to school now for the coaches. Once Cal decides to hang it up, they will have to hire someone elite to take his place otherwise it could very well turn bad

Yeah, but you can say the same about any school. When you're an elite program and you're having the kind of success we're having you're going to attract new fans and young players. There will be kids wanting to come here in the future, because players like John Wall, AD, and Cousins, were their child hood heroes and have adopted KY as their team. Also, we will never have a problem with bringing in a elite coach, because it's the best job in basketball. Now, we've made hiring errors in the past, but the HC job will always be attractive to elite coaches.

Reactions: sgrooms
This isn't to say we will ever be just mediocre but kids are coming to school now for the coaches. Once Cal decides to hang it up, they will have to hire someone elite to take his place otherwise it could very well turn bad

Again, theres nothing about UK's history that is mediocre. Relative to the rest of this game, we are the standard. That statement goes for every single school in the country, and most of all schools do not have our recourses. This is elementary imo. Some of our own fans have trouble understanding this. HIs statement was once cal leaves we are going back to mediocrity. Aside for a few years, we never really were mediocre. Cal has said himself he's just another guy in a long line of greats to sit in on the thrown. Rick Pitino will tell anyone who wants to listen how great UK is and will be. Cal didn't build UK. I love him, but he's not the architect.

I understand some of the frustration with fans being over bearing. But people that take issue with them seem to go to far to the opposite end of the spectrum here.

And yes, kids play for the coach. They always have. Its a myth that this is something new. Darius Millers and John Hoods have always been and always will be. They play for the jersey, and the coach is the second thought. But for top level guys, its always been about the coach first. It doesnt mean the school doesn't help the coach pull weight. It doesn't mean Kentucky won't continue to hire coaches that are great in the future.

Reactions: UK till Death
I think D Anderson is mainly guilty of being a die-hard fan who hates to lose and tries to figure out ways that the team should have won after the fact. We've all done this at times. He kept referring to the team "we" and "us." There is not question he's all UK. But this leads me to the other thing he's guilty of...

The other thing is that he's not the brightest bulb in the box, if you know what I mean. He didn't know this was a Louisville show? How can you be a UK fan and not know this? It's called not being aware. I really do believe he didn't know, so that means he's just clueless. Also, he think he knows how we could have beaten West Va, UConn and Wisconsin in years he thought UK should have went further. He thinks having better athletes should have done the trick against W. Va, despite missing 20+ three pointers. He thinks we should have pressured Napier of UConn and that would have stopped him, despite the fact that the Harrisons lacked the quickness to guard him. He thinks we should have played Booker more against Wisconsin and that would have won the game, despite the fact that Booker couldn't guard Dekker.

Bottom line: D.A. is just not a very smart guy.

Completely disagree here on him not being a smart guy. He had a nice NBA career, ran a pizza chain (Pizza Magia), and continues to hosts successful basketball camps year in and year out. You aren't an idiot if you can keep being successful in life long after you quit getting paid playing basketball. I'll agree, he's BBN through and through but you can't fault him for not knowing he was on a Louisville show. Some aren't ate up with everything in the local media. You have to remember Deener was in Lexington doing UK shows when DA was on campus. He doesn't live in Louisville full time and he's probably not ate up with sports 24/7 like some fans are listening to every local media clown. The mics had ESPN on them not CARDS. Probbaly just thought he was talking to a local affiliate and recognized a former media guy from Lexington doing it. Ask yourself this, if a local guy came up to to former UK guy asking UK basketball questions, why would you think he was from a UL show. It just shows how ate up UL is with UK.

You can disagree with his points on how these teams could of or could not of been beaten but it doesn't it make him wrong. It doesn't make him right either. It makes him an opinion maker. Sports guy asked him a question he answered it.

Let us forgive DA. He just had an episode of sticking his foot in his mouth. Has anyone of us not had a similar thing happen to us?
If yes, let that person cast the first stone.

The truth is, this how today's society reacts to anything anybody says if it is something they disagree with. People love a witch hunt and DA is the newest target. Nobody can speak their mind anymore without having a million hypocrites swarm you. I understand that you should be accountable for the things you say, but this isn't life or death shit here. Let him have his opinion and don't crucify him for it. I've seen so many people are ready to disown him and that's just sad.

Reactions: sgrooms and .S&C.
Look there is a reason that the great majority of our players leave after every year. Cal has a lot to do with it. Some guys, he could help greatly by telling them to come back, its not always in their best interest for Cal to tell them to go.

You mean like how he told Johnson he should come back and he didn't listen? I truly think you are the least informed person on this board. So, here is a pic just for you.

timetostop_zpsa4f2c5de.jpg

I just think a lot of UK fans don't understand the NBA and have no desire to.

So when they post about it they end up coming off as at worst petulant and at best just sort of clueless about how the process works. It'd be like a guy who took a math class in college talking about the ins and outs of the Federal Reserve.

Let us forgive DA. He just had an episode of sticking his foot in his mouth. Has anyone of us not had a similar thing happen to us?
If yes, let that person cast the first stone.
Own up to making a dumb decision by going public with his feelings and then making it worse by lying that he had no idea he was on Drew Deeners show.. We'll all will be kosher again..

I just think a lot of UK fans don't understand the NBA and have no desire to.

So when they post about it they end up coming off as at worst petulant and at best just sort of clueless about how the process works. It'd be like a guy who took a math class in college talking about the ins and outs of the Federal Reserve.

I 100% agree. People think that coming back and improving a certain skill a bit automatically makes your draft stock go higher. That's simply not the case. Here's a quick example:

Say Andrew Harrison comes back for his junior year (21 years old). At the end of the year he goes to the draft combine and scouts give him an overall grade of 85/100 as a PG. Now let's say Player X, also a PG and 19 years old, goes to the same combine and gets grade at 80/100. The NBA doesn't say "Andrew is 5 points higher so we are taking him". They try and project what they think Player X will grade out at in two years and compare him to Andrew's score out 85. If they think Player X will be the same or better, they probably take the younger option, all other things relatively equal. Age has a BIG impact on the draft and people simply don't want to realize that.

I think this is where Cal shines. He's honest enough to tell his guys whether he thinks coming back will guarantee a higher draft spot or not. People don't want to hear or accept it, or simply don't understand it, but that's how things work with the draft and Cal is one of the few who is honest enough with his players to help them do what's best for them, not for Cal.

not to mention another player on yours or another team improves dramatically and drops you down in the upcoming draft even though you may have improved statistically from one year to the next.

You weigh your options and take your best shot.

Own up to making a dumb decision by going public with his feelings and then making it worse by lying that he had no idea he was on Drew Deeners show.. We'll all will be kosher again..

Or you can take off your cloak of self righteousness and get over it. He owes you or us nothing. I for one find it refreshing to see someone who is willing to speak their true feelings in the public eye even if i don't agree with what he said. At the end of the day a person should be able to have their own opinion and not get blasted for it, especially when almost everyone has had times when they don't agree with the majority. It's OK to disagree!

Whatever, I know not to listen to anything he says now. I don't care if you were formerly associated with the program, if you are uninformed you are uninformed.

he owes you nothing, zero, nada, zilch

Or you can take off your cloak of self righteousness and get over it. He owes you or us nothing. I for one find it refreshing to see someone who is willing to speak their true feelings in the public eye even if i don't agree with what he said. At the end of the day a person should be able to have their own opinion and not get blasted for it, especially when almost everyone has had times when they don't agree with the majority. It's OK to disagree!
If I'm to give him a pass on what he said as said poster mentioned above,, then him owning up to be a jagoff yesterday will get me that way.. If not,, he'll be a jagoff to the majority of UK fans from here on out.. His call... I couldn't care less as I've not heard from him hardly any since his UK days.. But I can carry a grudge for life.. ;)

If I'm to give him a pass on what he said as said poster mentioned above,, then him owning up to be a jagoff yesterday will get me that way.. If not,, he'll be a jagoff to the majority of UK fans from here on out.. His call... I couldn't care less as I've not heard from him hardly any since his UK days.. But I can carry a grudge for life.. ;)

some people just want to watch the world burn...nice icon :)

lol...and you feel pretty confident that you speak for "...the majority of UK fans?"

funny stuff

One thing that I do partly agree with is that I wish Coach Cal would give his players a honest assessment on whether or not they should go or not. These players and their parents have committed to coach Cal and put his their trust in him to guide them in the right direction. If anybody is qualified to give them an honest assessment it would be him and I don't think a brief 5 minute conversation after the season is enough. I understand why he doesn't, because he feels that it is not his place to dictate the kids future or hold them back to pursuing their dreams. However, he shouldn't be afraid to give his honest opinion to players, because that could be just as valuable and might even save their careers. He has seen these players practice and perform daily and knows much more then these scouts think they know. Just because you might be getting good feedback from teams doesn't mean their always right or that they care for your best interest. Patterson said it best in the article he wrote. He spoke about how the easy part is making it to the league, but the hard part is learning how to stay.

What possibly makes you think that Cal doesn't give his players his honest assessment?

Example please?

I won't hold my breath because you won't be able to produce an example....

Reactions: sefus12
Where did MJ play D1 ball?
You just said yourself you ran an electronics company but know nothing about how they work. Hell, I can see by your last post that you don't even know the difference between a browser and a search engine. That's an incredibly basic distinction. But that doesn't mean that you can't have a perfectly valid opinion on the electronics industry, considering you've spent a good amount of time around it.

Again, theres nothing about UK's history that is mediocre. Relative to the rest of this game, we are the standard. That statement goes for every single school in the country, and most of all schools do not have our recourses. This is elementary imo. Some of our own fans have trouble understanding this. HIs statement was once cal leaves we are going back to mediocrity. Aside for a few years, we never really were mediocre. Cal has said himself he's just another guy in a long line of greats to sit in on the thrown. Rick Pitino will tell anyone who wants to listen how great UK is and will be. Cal didn't build UK. I love him, but he's not the architect.

I understand some of the frustration with fans being over bearing. But people that take issue with them seem to go to far to the opposite end of the spectrum here.

And yes, kids play for the coach. They always have. Its a myth that this is something new. Darius Millers and John Hoods have always been and always will be. They play for the jersey, and the coach is the second thought. But for top level guys, its always been about the coach first. It doesnt mean the school doesn't help the coach pull weight. It doesn't mean Kentucky won't continue to hire coaches that are great in the future.

I disagree! What was built was gone. Cal inherited a crappy program that was going nowhere unless the right coach came along. He did & that was Cal. UK has done what it has done the last 6 years because of Cal not because the way the program was built. Ridiculous!

Again, the only way that some of you will shut up is for Cal to leave & the program return to mediocrity....then all you goons can cry & talk about the Cal days.

I disagree! What was built was gone. Cal inherited a crappy program that was going nowhere unless the right coach came along. He did & that was Cal. UK has done what it has done the last 6 years because of Cal not because the way the program was built. Ridiculous!

Again, the only way that some of you will shut up is for Cal to leave & the program return to mediocrity....then all you goons can cry & talk about the Cal days.

goons? u mad bro? :)

I'm reading these posts & images of what the poster looks like pops in my mind. For the ignorant that are negative about Cal this is the image that pops in my mind:

goons? u mad bro? :)

I'm wondering if some of you are even UK fans or trolls. Seriously! If Cal won a national championship for the next 4 seasons some of you would still gripe. It's your nature & it'll never change regardless of who is coaching & how much success we are having.

What possibly makes you think that Cal doesn't give his players his honest assessment?

Example please?

I won't hold my breath because you won't be able to produce an example....

Ok that's fair. Honest assessment is probably the wrong choice of words. I'm sure they they get evaluated, but my point was based more around Cal giving his opinon to players whether they are ready to go or not. I'm going based off of the things he has said in the past. He said he only met with his players one time after the wisc game for no more then 5 mins and that's it. He has also repeatedly said that he never tells a player they should stay or go (unless they are a top 5 pick). He doesn't think it's his place to influence the decision and that it's between the players and the families and I respect that. I just think as a coach and mentor you shouldn't be afraid to tell a kid that he would benefit more by returning If that is what they truly believe.

I don't know if DA brought it up yesterday or today but, I remember at the time wishing Cal would try double-teaming Napier. Everything UConn ran went thru him. Cut off the head so to speak.
Anyway, I'm still as big a DA fan today as I was two weeks ago. Bad judgment on his part to say all that stuff publicly but, some of it does have merit.

hey DA is a good giy but he is from louisville he hangs out a lot in different places here in louisville. You cannot tell me he does not know who Drew Denner and Billy Reed is. As they say on ESPN come on man. I love you DA but just walk it if you say it own it, He knows everyone here in louisville.

I'm wondering if some of you are even UK fans or trolls. Seriously! If Cal won a national championship for the next 4 seasons some of you would still gripe. It's your nature & it'll never change regardless of who is coaching & how much success we are having.

and I can just as easily opine that your "nature" was revealed in your prior post with the pic.

I was just getting a kick out of the poster calling fellow Wildcat fans "goons."

and I can just as easily opine that your "nature" was revealed in your prior post with the pic.

I was just getting a kick out of the poster calling fellow Wildcat fans "goons."

I've been a die hard fan for over 40 yrs & it's always been this way. I just wish we could weed out the cancerous part of our fanbase.

If you really want to get DA fired up bust his chops about being on the take out of high school. Ask him about the nice new truck Ohio State bought his uncle. Ask him about both UK and UL telling him to take his open hand elsewhere out of high school. Ask him about being part of the reason OSU went on probation and how he jumped ship. I mean if your shooting for the heart may as well get the kill. The guy said some stuff he shouldnt have said, big deal. If people would just let it go it would have passed by now. But no we as a fan base must burn anyone at the stake that doesnt believe exactly like we do. Sounds like the rest of the world nowadays.

Ok that's fair. Honest assessment is probably the wrong choice of words. I'm sure they they get evaluated, but my point was based more around Cal giving his opinon to players whether they are ready to go or not. I'm going based off of the things he has said in the past. He said he only met with his players one time after the wisc game for no more then 5 mins and that's it. He has also repeatedly said that he never tells a player they should stay or go (unless they are a top 5 pick). He doesn't think it's his place to influence the decision and that it's between the players and the families and I respect that. I just think as a coach and mentor you shouldn't be afraid to tell a kid that he would benefit more by returning If that is what they truly believe.

My guess is that Cal does have those kinds of conversations, it's just that those remain private between he and the player/family...

I haven't had time yet to read this entire thread, but I will as time permits. I conclude this ......... that is what I said, but that's not what I meant..

You posters that are name-calling need to stop doing that. We are all competent to know which posters are idiots, etc. You're just pizzing those folks off. Please stop. Fight a duel at sunrise or something.

People make mistakes. People have opinions. Wrong or right...eh. The guy is pro UK and just wants to see UK win. It isn't like he said that Cal was leaving just before the NCAA championship game or something. He should have had this conversation on KSR or one of the other UK shows so there could have been a debate. People make mistakes some big some small. Seems pretty small to me.

Reactions: wildcatdonf
You posters that are name-calling need to stop doing that. We are all competent to know which posters are idiots, etc. You're just pizzing those folks off. Please stop. Fight a duel at sunrise or something.

It's so weird seeing your posts with that avatar. Just doesn't feel right. You're that other guy.

Our fanbase DESERVES misery.

As far as loyalty, I'll bash Anderson...he was here 2 seasons...Cal has been here 6. Cal made our program relevant again when we had absolutely become irrelevant. 4 final 4's in 6 seasons & a national championship!! Show me a recent better stretch of success in college basketball. You will not find one.

He DOES NOT push players to the NBA. If he did we would not have had so many return for the past season. But if you're a sure fire lottery pic, you may not be an immediate impact guy but YOU CANNOT pass that up in your profession. Most of our early departures have been high 1st round guys with the exception of a couple. Why not develop & make money?

As a player...they cannot put our fanbases "WANTS" above their what's best for them. If a University, Coach, or fanbase is to selfish to realize that I wouldn't play for them.
I am not going to bash anyone, however, I do believe you are correct in that he does not push players into the NBA. The star players that he has recruited, have wanted him as a coach, because it was their ambition to go to the league after one year. The ones that have stayed have needed to stay another year, not because they wanted to stay in school another year. I believe that he truly thought that Booker and Dakari would return for another year. I think that is the reason his recruiting ended as it did. He only went after a select few, because he didn't realize what his needs would actually be, and he got in too late on several recruits. But, I do not think he pushes them to leave, I just think that he lets them and their families, make their own decision, and wishes them well.

ADVERTISEMENT