ADVERTISEMENT

Dare I say it - the Cubs are for real

Tskware

All-American
Gold Member
Jan 27, 2003
Well, they are at least vastly improved. Not sure Soler is an ideal no. 2 hitter, given that he leads the NL in Ks, but Bryant has yet to hit a HR, and you know he will, and soon. Plus Jon Lester will not go winless all year. With Wainwright injured, all of a sudden, there is life in the Windy City. Would not be surprised if they made the playoffs, even if it is as a 2nd place team.

They can't pitch with the Pirates or Cardinals at this point but I definitely think they've got a decent shot at getting in as a wildcard. Lineup is going to be deadly for years to come.

Got a coach that has talent to work with.

They're going to be a contender in the division. However, the season is 19 games old, let's rehash this at all star break.

Too many growing pains and not enough pitching. Lester will come around (he better for the Cubs sake) and Arietta seems like he's figured it out. Beyond that, Hendricks is getting hit around a bit on his second time around the league and doesn't have great stuff. Wood is a decent 4/5 in part because he's lefty. Bullpen was solid last year but it will be different holding leads in games that have actual meaning.
Bryant will be a star, Rizzo is good but vastly overrated, Castro has leveled off to a plus option at short and the catching is solid. Let's wait on Soler until he gets 500 AB's, Fowler is okay and LF is manned by a group of utility guys.
Moving in the right direction but they really need starting pitching and people just don't give that away so the Cubs will have to part with some of their better prospects.

They are definitely improved with an impressive LU, and some fine pitching. I'm skeptical though that they can outdo the Cardinals. A wildcard spot seems doable. But this is the Cubs we're talking about, and we're only 20 or so games into the season. :)

ADVERTISEMENT