ADVERTISEMENT

Daniels on Markelle Fultz's Play Last Night

Smashcat

All-American
Gold Member
Mar 13, 2012
Fultz continues to improve stock
During his junior season, 6-foot-4, 170-pound Hyattsville (Md.) Dematha shooting guard Markelle Fultz picked up offers and improved his stock as a prospect with his successful play on a national high school team.

1533228.jpg
>
Markelle Fultz has big night
It’s been more of the same this spring for the 2016 prospect, and Friday night at the UA Association New York event was certainly no different.

Fultz has good size for position, long arms and played aggressive basketball, consistently attacking the basket and finding ways to create space to shoot open jumpers.

Not just a scorer, Fultz also sees the court very well and made some really nice passes to teammates.

Due to his scoring ability, size, length, handle and vision, Fultz will likely be able to play and defend multiple spots at the next level, but he’s definitely one of the top shooting guards in the 2016 class.

Arizona, Kentucky, Louisville and Xavier are the main schools involved.

Awaiting Image
Markelle Fultz
Dematha Catholic HS / 6'4" / 170 lbs
  • PositionSG
  • SG Rank6
  • Interest15
http://scouthoops.scout.com/story/1548709-uaa-mcgusty-fultz-diallo-standout?s=75

I'd take him in a heartbeat if he wanted to commit.
I think he's commit in a heartbeat if he was offered. We've got more than a DOZEN offers out and here's a kid who wants to be here without one.
Here's a tweet on his play today.
Jeff Borzello‏@jeffborzello 4h4 hours ago
Four-star 2016 guard Markelle Fultz is showing off the entire offensive arsenal today. Scoring at the rim, off pull-ups, creating, etc.
#UAA

I think he's commit in a heartbeat if he was offered. We've got more than a DOZEN offers out and here's a kid who wants to be here without one.
Here's a tweet on his play today.
Jeff Borzello‏@jeffborzello 4h4 hours ago
Four-star 2016 guard Markelle Fultz is showing off the entire offensive arsenal today. Scoring at the rim, off pull-ups, creating, etc.
#UAA

I think Cal should offer who he wants no matter how many guys it becomes and field the team on a "first come, first serve" basis. If he gets 5 in the early period then so be it. Wrap up recruiting and focus on the team that is currently playing for him. Too many of the elite prospects wait to see the landscape in the spring. While they should be afforded the right to make a decision on their own terms Cal cant wait on 5-6 guys to sign late because UK was left scrambling when this class turned to other options.

I think Cal should offer who he wants no matter how many guys it becomes and field the team on a "first come, first serve" basis. If he gets 5 in the early period then so be it. Wrap up recruiting and focus on the team that is currently playing for him. Too many of the elite prospects wait to see the landscape in the spring. While they should be afforded the right to make a decision on their own terms Cal cant wait on 5-6 guys to sign late because UK was left scrambling when this class turned to other options.
It's a high stakes Poker game for sure. But one that Calipari has been pretty good at winning until this current spring. He landed Kanter, Lamb, Knight and Jones all in the Spring in 2010. In 2012 he landed Noel but lost Shabazz (which I consider to be a win). In 2013 he landed Randle and Hawkins, and lost Wiggins, still a pretty big get to bring in Randle who most people thought would be headed to Kansas.

Other than 2010 and this past season Cal was usually just looking at one or two players. I think it's fine to gamble on a few, but I also agree we can't leave the entire class open like that. In the 2013 class Calipari took James Young and Marcus Lee while still hoping to pull in Randle and Wiggins. I would hope this is the kind of strategy he uses moving forward.

Reactions: coolcat9lives
Add Fultz to the list of potential Cats.

Who it looks like UK is strong with from the guard and forward positions:
Combo guards - Simmons, Fox
scoring guards/wing forwards - Monk, Fultz, Langford, King
combo forwards - Tatum, Bridges

It would be special to land at least two of these guys. Allow them a chance to play alongside Matthews, Ulis, and Mulder? Wow. Gotta think Cal only gets two of these guys based on the realities of the returning players, however.

My personal wish list:

PG - Simmons
SG - Monk
SF - King

I know it's highly unlikely to bring three of these guys in, but if it happened...Shazaam.

Add Fultz to the list of potential Cats.

Who it looks like UK is strong with from the guard and forward positions:
Combo guards - Simmons, Fox
scoring guards/wing forwards - Monk, Fultz, Langford, King
combo forwards - Tatum, Bridges

It would be special to land at least two of these guys. Allow them a chance to play alongside Matthews, Ulis, and Mulder? Wow. Gotta think Cal only gets two of these guys based on the realities of the returning players, however.

My personal wish list:

PG - Simmons
SG - Monk
SF - King

I know it's highly unlikely to bring three of these guys in, but if it happened...Shazaam.

I don't think Fox has an offer, he just really likes the school. Same with Fultz but there is mutual interest there. I think UK has the best chance to get Simmons, Bridges and Fultz if they offer. Monk is a toss up to me and Langford really depends on who stays/leaves. King seems to be leaning elsewhere and Tatum is a Dukie for sure.

I think Cal should offer now, before others show up and offer.
It is very important that he wants to be a CAT.
If his heart is here, then why not?

ADVERTISEMENT