ADVERTISEMENT

Daniels: Diallo Could Announce as Early as Tuesday

Im beginning to feel Diallo is moving towards us. With how things are playing out and all the other players beginning to creep closer to UK it seems like he is about to jump into the BIG BLUE!!!

All indications point to UK!!!!!

Im beginning to feel Diallo is moving towards us. With how things are playing out and all the other players beginning to creep closer to UK it seems like he is about to jump into the BIG BLUE!!!

All indications point to UK!!!!!

Based on what?

I haven't seen any indications at all one way or the other. This one looks to me like the player has been legitimately undecided.

It seems like we are more in the mix for this kid than we have been for some of the others lately. There appear to be several reasons he would choose UK (minutes to be had,players like Skal and Briscoe already here and Cal's history of putting bigs in the league)

he's the guy. great that we have a good team already with experience. we add him and the final four talk starts again. he's got the motor and the rebounding that would make lee and poythress be added weapons like last year only with more minutes a piece. what a rotation that would be. still for uk we get any formidable big we are back. nothing wrong with lee and poy getting ALL the minutes at 4.

it's almost like if we get murray and diallo we are platooning again early in the year. don't get mad but lol

ulis
briscoe
mulder
diallo
skal

hawkins
murray
matthews
poythress
lee

willis

at least we'll find out soon. murray would be in the comfortable booker position, and we'd have a senior poythress and junior lee off the bench lol. everyone so pessimistic and it's potentially right there for cal and uk again. that would be hands down the best defense in the country with the best front court of playmakers this side of the nba.

i want diallo in blue pretty bad yeah. if it were maker it would be similar imo. we're still in great position to make an already solid roster become awesome. diallo wants a title like we do it would a great collaboration.

Does everyone here truly believe that Poythress is coming off the bench. I don't think this is the case but so many on here keep saying get Diallo and he and Skal are our front court. Then Poythress can come off the bench. I just don't see this happening.

Gut says we get diallo. Doesn't sound like much but then it is worth about as much as most of the tweets we see.

Chris Fisher‏@ChrisFisher247 19m19 minutes ago

A possibility that Kentucky could land two commitments today in Mychal Mulder and Cheick Diallo. Mulder at 3:30, Diallo today or tomorrow.

Does everyone here truly believe that Poythress is coming off the bench. I don't think this is the case but so many on here keep saying get Diallo and he and Skal are our front court. Then Poythress can come off the bench. I just don't see this happening.

for the sake of platooning i could see it. miller did as a senior. or heshimu. sometimes you have guys that can play multiple positions be the first off the bench. has nothing to do with overall minutes or respect it just means a utility player or in this case a good defending athletic tweener who is built like tarzan could replace a mulder or a diallo. where as diallo could not take mulder's position and vice versa. if mulder over poythress at three starting this would be why. lee i think will see time at the five unless we get another back up center.

point is no one is taking lee and poythress' minutes either way as they could plug holes at three positions if cal needs a big or small team. the odd man out unfortunately would be willis. matthews will get in there imo and so will hawkins. even if we get murray.

people know we were most dominant last year with lyles and poythress at the three. teams absolutely could not score and we blocked everything, and owned the defensive glass. if we don't get him lee and poy will man the 4 all year which is great. with diallo the starting four is set imo though and cal has to open up the bench. if matthews mulder hawkins etc are there too i don't see an issue. i just think poy has the ability to make huge plays and 6th man would only highlight that if diallo comes.

It seems like we are more in the mix for this kid than we have been for some of the others lately. There appear to be several reasons he would choose UK (minutes to be had,players like Skal and Briscoe already here and Cal's history of putting bigs in the league)

Yeah, but does that overcome the draw of watching Self put on his toupee everyday before practice?

Do you know that's why he said that? I don't think it's such a silly thing to say. I've said the same thing about a lot of players. Looks like a Duke player (black and white), or like a KU player. Sometimes guys just have a look that makes you think of former players for those teams, and it triggers a subconscious comparison.

Exactly. For some reason, Kyle Singler always reminded me of Christian Laettner.
Yeah, but does that overcome the draw of watching Self put on his toupee everyday before practice?

that's a great question. it looks like a phenomenal toupee.

Info is from another board, but apparently St. John's play by play guy was doing a guest segment on the radio in NY this morning and predicted Diallo would be committing to KU.
Maybe he heard StJ's was out of the running and his choice when they met with him for a 2nd time a week or 2 back?

Who really knows or doesn't know at this point though, except CD...

Some play by play idiot has no clue. And the later the day goes I'm doubting he announces today as we have heard nothing.

I don't really know what this is all based on, but I just know there are plenty of reasons why it may be good news for UK if St. John's doesn't get Diallo. Skal, UK getting 2 of the most recent in homes (one of which were by Diallo's request), Diallo's enjoyment of playing with Briscoe on the All-American circuit, etc.

We need to get Skal to call him and parlez with him. Speaking French seemed to resonate with him.

Suprised there's been no leak of a favorite or announcement time. I don't know why so many think Diallo's going to Kansas. His camp has been tight lipped and you got to think the fact he requested another visit from Coach Cal is a good sign.

Suprised there's been no leak of a favorite or announcement time. I don't know why so many think Diallo's going to Kansas. His camp has been tight lipped and you got to think the fact he requested another visit from Coach Cal is a good sign.

Very odd. Haven't seen too many situations where there seems to be a decision and then nothing happens for twenty-four hours. The inability to even pin down a day of the week is strange.

Reactions: wildcatsboston1984
Probably because Self and his staff run their mouth constantly

Is Kentucky that only program then?

As far as Cliff, he is an under-sized PF at barely 6'7". He was never OAD no matter what kind of hype he had out of high school. He would have fared no better at Kentucky than he did at KU. He was returning (where he could have developed like the others I mentioned) until his family took a "loan" from some slime ball agent or runner. You're comparing apples and oranges by comparing Cliff after one year to the other players I referenced who stayed 3 years, or 5 years in Jeff Withey. Was Cauley-Stein ready after his freshman year? Hell no. If you then argue about where Cliff was ranked coming out of high school, then someone could start talking about Marcus Lee. Cliff could dunk and that's about it.

Actually Willie was considered a first round lock and a possible late lottery pick. Even after his sophomore year he was at about the same spot and would have been higher if not for the foot injury. Willie came back not because he was ready (projected in the 1st round) but because he was a different kid and had different interests.

The situation was also different between players like WCS/Lee and a player like Alexander. WCS and Lee came to UK knowing that they would be playing behind a higher ranked player. WCS was in Noel's class and Lee was in Dakari and Randle's class. Kansas didn't have anyone who should have been able to keep Alexander off the court. I understand he was foul prone, but that is still the coaches responsibility to fix.

I appreciate your efforts. But you aren't going to convince anyone over here that Bill Self does as good of a job with high level players as Calipari does. History just isn't on your side.

Chris Fisher‏@ChrisFisher247 19m19 minutes ago

A possibility that Kentucky could land two commitments today in Mychal Mulder and Cheick Diallo. Mulder at 3:30, Diallo today or tomorrow.

There was also this this morning. Might not mean much, but the only way Diallo's commit would change the No. 1 ranked class would be to UK I believe.
Follow
Adam Finkelstein‏@AdamFinkelstein
Duke has the number one class in the country, we'll see if Cheick Diallo's commitment changes that http://es.pn/1hH5Bnv

Actually Willie was considered a first round lock and a possible late lottery pick. Even after his sophomore year he was at about the same spot and would have been higher if not for the foot injury. Willie came back not because he was ready (projected in the 1st round) but because he was a different kid and had different interests.

The situation was also different between players like WCS/Lee and a player like Alexander. WCS and Lee came to UK knowing that they would be playing behind a higher ranked player. WCS was in Noel's class and Lee was in Dakari and Randle's class. Kansas didn't have anyone who should have been able to keep Alexander off the court. I understand he was foul prone, but that is still the coaches responsibility to fix.

I appreciate your efforts. But you aren't going to convince anyone over here that Bill Self does as good of a job with high level players as Calipari does. History just isn't on your side.

Oh trust me, that wasn't my argument at all. Cal is a stud for sure. But to say or even imply Bill Self doesn't develop post players just isn't accurate.

Oh trust me, that wasn't my argument at all. Cal is a stud for sure. But to say or even imply Bill Self doesn't develop post players just isn't accurate.
I will agree and disagree to a point.

Self doesn't have a consistent record of developing elite (top-10) big men. He did have Joel Embiid..... but he also has had Cliff Alexander. One homerun, and one (BIG) swing and a miss.

Self's argument that he develops big men is that he has taken some lower level players, that are off of the NBA's radar and developed them into draft picks (i.e. Thomas Robinson, Morris twins, Aldrich, and that tall goofy kid from 2012).

The problem for Self is that these kids are not elite players in the NBA, and probably never will be. I don't think players like Alexander, Diallo, or Brag are interested in being like Cole Aldrich. On the other hand you have Calipari who has the midas touch with big men. Cousins, Davis, Noel, and Towns all look to be the class of the NBA when it comes to franchise centers..... and possibly even WCS (throw in Skal in a few years, and I would also include Kanter as just a small notch below the others). There is just no comparison when you ask an elite high school player which group of big men he would like to be associated with.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT