ADVERTISEMENT

DADYERO

My youngest wore her big girl panties all day Friday without an accident. Looks like my diaper changing days are coming to a close.

Reactions: funKYcat75
Who up? Sis just peed through a pull-up and was upset about it. I got kicked out of bed so she could sleep with mommy. Nothing like some early morning laundry.

My wife was so distraught about losing her breastfeeding rack that she actually considered a boob job (but ultimately decided against it). Best believe I was 70000STRONGALLINUKMICHAELROCKS about her making that move.

Her: "But what if people make fun of me?"
Me: "This isn't about them - this is about you and feeling good about your boobs and self-esteem and girl power or whatever ... feminism."
Her: "I don't know...."
Me: "F*** THE HATERS."

Best part about summer vacation is that the kids are home all day which means I can look forward to at least one "OMG THEY ARE DRIVING ME CRAZY MAKE IT STOP WHY AREN'T YOU HELPING I WISH THEY WOULD HURRY UP AND GO BACK TO SCHOOL ALREADY!!!" phone call from the wife every day while I'm at work.

Luckily, there's a way to get them out of the house all week during the summer: pay hundreds of dollars to ship them off to camp. #awesome

Reactions: Btothe4th and B Rax
-Joey, whats up with arm swaddling? I've read about hip development but if his arms are loose the little dude won't sleep at all. He just waives his arms around like, "What the hell are these things.. oh I'll scratch my face... now I'm going to eat my hand... now I'm bouncing to Naughty By Nature."

-First trimester boobs>>>>>>>>breast feed boobs. Not even close. Right now I don't even view them like that. Probably b/c my sons head is buried in them about 10 times per day.

All in on the augmentation in the future and pretty upfront about it. Got a clear picture of what we want from about November last year. Shew.

Reactions: drxman1
Yeah, my wife goes borderline insane during the summer. She's a great mom, super, really. But I guess being home alone with a 6, 3 and 1.5 yr old would drive anyone nuts.

Even though it's tough having a newborn, I kind of miss it. Little babies are fun. Sleeping on your chest, little fingers, THE WAY THEY SMELL LOL. Probably why I keep making more of the little rascals. Enjoy it, those are good times.

Shopping for fur babies. Probably have the little guy/gal in about 3 weeks or so. IM GETTING EXTRA NAPS NOW!!! LOL.

Can you swaddle a furry baby if they're crying and uncomfortable when I first bring it home? I guess those thunder shirts would work.

Evolution and/or God made them cute and not disgusting smelling for a reason.

Loss of breastfeeding boobs coupled with significant weight loss is a pretty shocking thing as well. Kinda like a Little Caesars pizza. Still good, but you've had better.

-Joey, whats up with arm swaddling? I've read about hip development but if his arms are loose the little dude won't sleep at all. He just waives his arms around like, "What the hell are these things.. oh I'll scratch my face... now I'm going to eat my hand... now I'm bouncing to Naughty By Nature."
"Arms Free" is a new safe sleep standard that a lot of hospitals have adopted. I know Good Sam and Children's in Cincinnati put newborns in sleep sacks and do not swaddle with the arms in.

If you can get away with it, it is a baseline "safer" method of having them sleep. Decreased "arousal" from swinging their arms can be a problem and might be a cause of SIDS.

You're not supposed to swaddle them after eight weeks anyway (By then, they can roll over and suffocate if their arms are pinned), so if you can keep them from "needing" a swaddle early, I would do it.

My wife is a social worker at the PPC at Children's and her good friend is a PhD in charge of lowering infant mortality in the region, so I have had all of this stuff drilled into my head for a while now.

I feel like Ben Stiller's character in Along Came Polly with all of this stuff, assessing risk to the nth degree.

He breaks loose pretty much every time anyway but that's interesting. I was under the impression from everything I read that a good swaddle on infants lowered SIDS but to keep the legs loose for hip development. He certainly calms down once swaddled, that's for sure.

Honestly, I look at the meth heads in the rooms around me when he was born to keep all this stuff in check. If they can grow up on Mt Dew and McDonalds to breed more meth heads I'm pretty sure my 100% organic son will make it if he isn't swaddled with the Finnegan-Heart over under swaddle method.

-Love our pediatrician. Probably late 50's guy, very friendly, obviously very knowledgeable, good at easing concerns without being condescending. Really nice dude. Mack & Poole fwiw.

Seriously stay at home white mommy bloggers are the worst segment in the universe. No idea how we've allowed this but it's unreal. Talk about a group that can just fabricate an epidemic at the drop of a hat.

Reactions: MaxPowerrr
There comes a day where baby just says 'eff that noise' to swaddling, and then the real fun begins. Have a plan and be strong.

Do not let the baby start sleeping with you. Just a heads up.

Especially if you intend on ever having sex again*

*with your wife

Seems like that is referencing the lower body as well. We use a few body suits that we like but they tend to ride up in his face/nose because I don't think he's grown into them. I prefer to swaddle with blankets so I can get a good v at his neck. I'm pretty good at keeping the upper body snug and legs free to move.

The basics I've picked up are:
  • Arms out in a sleep sack.
  • Always on his back to sleep.
  • Crib next to the parent's bed.
  • Sleeping room temperature between 68-71.
  • Ceiling Fan always on.
  • Breast milk only for the first year.
  • Sneak in Tummy Time as much as possible (in addition to timed tummy time).
  • Dress him in one more layer of clothing than you are comfortable in.
  • Don't leave him a car seat more than necessary - to nap in the house, etc.
I also went crazy with high-contrast pattern flashcards when he was a newborn. If I was holding him, those were always up in his field of view - if he wanted to glance at them.

He has turned out to be a very mellow baby so far and I am crediting it to those early flashcard reps.

Woody says Daddario > Dadyero

0.jpg

Reactions: drxman1
Attachment parenting for the loss. Those people are nuts. Thanks Dr. Sears. Same segment as non-vaccinators.

The basics I've picked up are:
  • Arms out in a sleep sack.
  • Always on his back to sleep.
  • Crib next to the parent's bed.
  • Sleeping room temperature between 68-71.
  • Ceiling Fan always on.
  • Breast milk only for the first year.
  • Sneak in Tummy Time as much as possible (in addition to timed tummy time).
  • Dress him in one more layer of clothing than you are comfortable in.
  • Don't leave him a car seat more than necessary - to nap in the house, etc.
I also went crazy with high-contrast pattern flashcards when he was a newborn. If I was holding him, those were always up in his field of view - if he wanted to glance at them.

He has turned out to be a very mellow baby so far and I am crediting it to those early flashcard reps.
It's also important to keep in mind that generations of children have been raised doing the opposite and/or none of that and grew into the people who came up with these basics.

Make sure they eat and sleep. The rest is gravy. But don't give them gravy.

Some of you GEEK DAD's might enjoy this galaxy wall I put up in my kid's nursery.

The circles are removable vinyl decals and the pattern is an abstraction of the star chart of the Zodiac sign of the due date, the Taurus. (Babies like to follow curvilinear lines of high contrast to develop their vision.)

My kid was born three weeks early and is an Aries.

Close enough!

(The pictures on the wall are travel posters from NASA.)

1_zpsuidlqvqn.jpg

11248254_10102910649571850_3299662222724781915_n_zpslnjfnedq.jpg

11796176_10102910649307380_6238262170562647227_n_zpsswkwup0v.jpg

It's also important to keep in mind that generations of children have been raised doing the opposite and/or none of that and grew into the people who came up with these basics.

Make sure they eat and sleep. The rest is gravy. But don't give them gravy.

And in the last generation, three times as many died from SIDS because of unknown American cultural factors of how to raise a baby.

Yeah we're on top of all that stuff. What's your method with the cards? I just use the all of the lights video by Kanye.
Ha!

I bought a bunch of these books. And I would hold them up when he was in my lap. I didn't make him look at them, but I also kind of did.

The thinking is that babies need high contrast to develop their rods and cones - without "sharp corners." Their eyes can track curving lines, but can't follow around corners after abrupt stops. If you can give them images that designed to provide this, they can develop their eyesight as early as possible which will help them take everything in, which is pretty much all they do.

ADVERTISEMENT