ADVERTISEMENT

CWS Patio

robo222

Senior
Nov 21, 2008
I didn't wanna step on another posters thread about the blue seats... A posted pic of the CWS view from the patio prompted a question...

Someone tell me what this patio thing is all about... Recruits aren't allowed there during a game as I understand it... Will anyone be allowed there during a game? Who? Looks cool and certainly hope it isn't blank spot during the game..... Or will it?

Reactions: Backsidejug78
I believe they will be doing other private events there other than just football games and recruiting. Its a huge patio that takes up a lot of seats, but have to believe there was a sound strategy when it was being designed. All I know is they have a ton of work left to do and 4 months is not a long time.

I believe they will be doing other private events there other than just football games and recruiting. Its a huge patio that takes up a lot of seats, but have to believe there was a sound strategy when it was being designed. All I know is they have a ton of work left to do and 4 months is not a long time.

Thanks for the response and don't want to sound cute but I really don't care what they do with it outside of game-day... It is a big area and if left empty during a game I wouldn't consider it "sound strategy"

NCAA rules. I think they have to "sit" with the general population during the game.

Does that not mean that they just can't be on the field? Patio isn't on the field. I think somebody got it backwards.

-they are also constructing a pavilion in the parking lot near the stadium (nw corner)...toilets and what not.

Keeping those with weak bladders and bowels in mind, I see.

And why is that? Isnt it attached to the recruiting room, isnt that the whole point?
NCAA rules say any school furnished game seating for recruits (OVs or UVs) MUST be in the general student section. Unless on an OV a recruit cannot be entertained with free food or drink during a visit (I suppose you could get away with a Coke and hot dog). IOW, during games, the recruiting room cannot be used for "recruiting". I suspect it will see its' greatest recruiting use a a "central gathering spot" for visitors on non-football weekends.

Given its' limited utility for actual recruiting purposes I never saw the "need" for such a facility unless connected to the Nutter Training Facility where it would also serve as a player's lounge all year. (Yes, I know Nutter has a player's lounge but newer is almost always better.) However, the plan to rebuild and move the entire football training complex to the Nutter Field House/CWS complex is an entirely different story. The room can now effectively function as "player's lounge" for the new training facility.

And the patio did not take that big of a bite out the EZ, about 600 seats per the original design. The great majority of the 6,000 seats actually lost came with the redesign of the home side of the stadium.

Peace

NCAA rules say any school furnished game seating for recruits (OVs or UVs) MUST be in the general student section. Unless on an OV a recruit cannot be entertained with free food or drink during a visit (I suppose you could get away with a Coke and hot dog). IOW, during games, the recruiting room cannot be used for "recruiting". I suspect it will see its' greatest recruiting use a a "central gathering spot" for visitors on non-football weekends.

Given its' limited utility for actual recruiting purposes I never saw the "need" for such a facility unless connected to the Nutter Training Facility where it would also serve as a player's lounge all year. (Yes, I know Nutter has a player's lounge but newer is almost always better.) However, the plan to rebuild and move the entire football training complex to the Nutter Field House/CWS complex is an entirely different story. The room can now effectively function as "player's lounge" for the new training facility.

And the patio did not take that big of a bite out the EZ, about 600 seats per the original design. The great majority of the 6,000 seats actually lost came with the redesign of the home side of the stadium.

Peace
Have to believe eventually this rule will be overturned as the NCAA has no choice but to give up more power to the Power 5 schools. I can see this room and area being even more valuable down the road.

Peace
WC, given that Brooks, Joker and Stoops all wanted the recruiting room built into the stadium I can only figure that they have good ideas as to why it should be there and know how they plan to use it. One use will be for pre-game/post-game meals for recruits and their families on those OVs. Also, it may well be possible to have additional seating of some sort on the patio that regular students, perhaps recruiting hosts that allows them to skirt around the usage rules. Back when the outlawed they old Joe B Hall basketball lodge the solution was to simply bring in regular students. Whereas prior to the rule change each player had their own room, after the rule change the students were doubled up two to a room. Make the recruiting room patio available to "regular students" then POOF!! they're with the regular students.

Last edited:
Reactions: robo222

Peace

The patio/recruiting room can be used on gameday, the recruits just have to be out of it by kickoff. Not sure if they are allowed back in at halftime or not. They can go back once the game is over.

I can understand that rule. The more wealthy schools could have recruits sitting in luxury boxes with naked girls hanging all over them, although that does sound like UT.

Easy there, Rock.

I like the patio idea. If not for recruits, we could do some cool stuff with that area during games. Always nice to have some space open. :D

The patio/recruiting room can be used on gameday, the recruits just have to be out of it by kickoff. Not sure if they are allowed back in at halftime or not. They can go back once the game is over.
I suppose that is true but why on earth would you want to do that? You can only "entertain" guys on OVs and there is seldom more than a handful visiting on any game weekend. For that matter, many OVs are taken after the regular season is over. And for any non-game day hosting the new stadium clubs should serve just fine as a "gathering place".

I certainly don't know the "game day hosting environment" but I suspect it involves being with the team as much as possible. And I would think that official visitors would be hosted post game by players and dinner arrangement made in a restaurant rather than "stadium food".

Hey, if the coaches want it, I'm glad they are getting it. But a "recruiting room" in the stadium but with the football training facility in its present location never made sense to me. I still see the biggest "return on investment" of such a facility comes as a year round "player's lounge". And co-locating the room with the training facilities (where players spend much of the year) makes that possible. I've never heard a kid say "I went to Big State U because of their dope recruiting room". JMO.

Peace

I suppose that is true but why on earth would you want to do that? You can only "entertain" guys on OVs and there is seldom more than a handful visiting on any game weekend. For that matter, many OVs are taken after the regular season is over. And for any non-game day hosting the new stadium clubs should serve just fine as a "gathering place".

I certainly don't know the "game day hosting environment" but I suspect it involves being with the team as much as possible. And I would think that official visitors would be hosted post game by players and dinner arrangement made in a restaurant rather than "stadium food".

Hey, if the coaches want it, I'm glad they are getting it. But a "recruiting room" in the stadium but with the football training facility in its present location never made sense to me. I still see the biggest "return on investment" of such a facility comes as a year round "player's lounge". And co-locating the room with the training facilities (where players spend much of the year) makes that possible. I've never heard a kid say "I went to Big State U because of their dope recruiting room". JMO.

Peace

Have you seen these recruiting rooms? They aren't folding tables and chairs next to a projector screen like the Brooks and Joker years. They are full service restaurant/lounge/meeting areas. All with the best view of the playing field in the stadium.

Who wouldn't be impressed to spend pregame there? Or be wined and dined with family there even when there is no game?

Clemson has a room similar to ours built into one of their end zones. I've been down on campus many times during the year and seen it in use for varying things. It's much more useful than you guys are giving it credit for.

WC, given that Brooks, Joker and Stoops all wanted the recruiting room built into the stadium I can only figure that they have good ideas as to why it should be there and know how they plan to use it. One use will be for pre-game/post-game meals for recruits and their families on thoWsse OVs. Also, it may well be possible to have additional seating of some sort on the patio that regular students, perhaps recruiting hosts that allows them to skirt around the usage rules. Back when the outlawed the old Joe B Hall basketball lodge the solution was to simply bring in regular students. Whereas prior to the rule change each player had their own room, after the rule change the students were doubled up two to a room. Make the recruiting room patio available to "regular students" then POOF!! their with the regular students.
Have you seen these recruiting rooms? They aren't folding tables and chairs next to a projector screen like the Brooks and Joker years. They are full service restaurant/lounge/meeting areas. All with the best view of the playing field in the stadium.

Who wouldn't be impressed to spend pregame there? Or be wined and dined with family there even when there is no game?

I understand the improvements, the new center/add-on to indoor facility, the recruiting room/whatever it is on the first/ground level... The Patio still hasn't been fully explained but I like Fuzz's explanation, and perhaps that's how it goes down... I can see it used for music/special introductions/and a cool place for the poobahs, and fat cats to say they wuz there.... As long as it's just not a hole in the EZ then I'm okay with it...... I'm all for it being the mosh pit for student football fans especially if they'll crowd surf Eli Capilouto.........

I am thinking now that they should have just installed a pool in the middle of that patio and be sort of like what the Arizona Diamondbacks did at their baseball stadium. Just have the students get in their bathing suits and have a party during games. Sounds like a good idea to me (sarcasm meter high here)....

Reactions: robo222
Coaches have been clamoring for one for almost a decade, the admin is finally building it and people are bitching about it.......

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT