ADVERTISEMENT

Cowherd is gone

Blueaz

All-American
Gold Member
Jul 7, 2009
Phoenix
Bye, bye..,, ESPN let him go today. He had made comments that baseball was so simple even Dominicans can do well (paraphrasing)
What a tool

Man that is very racist. Nothin tame about that. I am very very far from PC but that shouldn't he said on air. That's something that could be a running joke between skinheads

Man that is very racist. Nothin tame about that. I am very very far from PC but that shouldn't he said on air. That's something that could be a running joke between skinheads

I thought his John Wall rants over the years were a lot more "racist" in nature than this. I can buy it should not have been said on air in the way he said it, but Cowherd has always straddled the line with ok topics on the air. Clearly Cowherd realized he effed up as he even tweeted an apology this afternoon (doing that for his new employer, not ESPN, of course).

Reactions: Nubb16

Why do people want to control if someone is racist. If they are racist or jerks and you don't want to hear them, turn them off or don't hang out with them. Let people be who they want to be and do your own thing. Not taking a shot at you but I always wonder why people care what other people say if they don't like it and it doesn't have any baring on their lives. We'll never see they guy again at fox anyway.

Reactions: KFuqua
Why do people want to control if someone is racist. If they are racist or jerks and you don't want to hear them, turn them off or don't hang out with them. Let people be who they want to be and do your own thing.

Any entity trying to make money cares if they receive a swelling amount of negative feedback over an entity opinion/action. The degree to which that is the case is uncertain in most instances but I certainly don't mind this railroading.

Reactions: Nubb16
Why do people want to control if someone is racist. If they are racist or jerks and you don't want to hear them, turn them off or don't hang out with them. Let people be who they want to be and do your own thing. Not taking a shot at you but I always wonder why people care what other people say if they don't like it and it doesn't have any baring on their lives. We'll never see they guy again at fox anyway.
I understand your take. But a company like ESPN or any company really doesn't want any kind of racism involved of they are smart sbout business. Just from a moral and business take for me. I think racist people are morons but they have every right to be morons. But info wish there were less stupid people out there. Disclaimer. I've met lots of really dumb people who aren't racist lol

coward and the hulkster can now have time to belittle everyone not white.
Ha ha bunch of punks.

Why do you care if someone wants to talk about someone else saying dumb, racist things? Staying silent on the topic is often taken as tacit approval.

Say racist things, get called a racist. Seems about right to me.

Reactions: preacherfan
Was Cowherd not already planning an exit? Seems like ESPN heard rumor of the breakup and high schooled him....you hear your GF is going to break up with you and you send word to her first that your going to go ahead and dump her.

What better place than fox for cowherd. they already have their big fish in Donald trump and he's made it clear where he stands on immigration, combine that with cowherds comments and you have a dream team.

Bye, bye..,, ESPN let him go today. He had made comments that baseball was so simple even Dominicans can do well (paraphrasing)
What a tool

Your "paraphrasing" is the real problem here. People read a quick headline or a strategically edited quote then post their uninformed opinion as many places as they can think of. How about you learn to comprehend a complete thought and quit looking for reasons to be offended.

And since he already announced he was leaving ESPN they had little reason to tell the Twitter mob to eff off. A reputable company would have but ESPN is quickly becoming far from that.

Your "paraphrasing" is the real problem here. People read a quick headline or a strategically edited quote then post their uninformed opinion as many places as they can think of. How about you learn to comprehend a complete thought and quit looking for reasons to be offended.

And since he already announced he was leaving ESPN they had little reason to tell the Twitter mob to eff off. A reputable company would have but ESPN is quickly becoming far from that.
Hey irony
How about you read the article. My paraphrase is very close to the quote.
I don't give a shit about what he said. He was trying to make a point, but his ego (how smart he thinks he is) got in the way.
So you should not try to put an agenda on someone else. That might be worse the paraphrase.
Hypocrite

People don't try to "control" racists, but they do try to discourage it and educate people on why it's wrong. Racism isn't just a set of naughty words or sentences (i.e. You're a ni$$er; you're not smart because you're a Dominican), it's also mindset that can effect how society views minority's to the point where minorities may not have as many opportunities and may get treated different by society. Especially when a guy like Cowherd does it, since he has such a big platform.

Also, you people who get so uptight about others getting in trouble for not being "PC" cry just as much as the PC police, and for worse reasons too.

Hey irony
How about you read the article. My paraphrase is very close to the quote.
I don't give a shit about what he said. He was trying to make a point, but his ego (how smart he thinks he is) got in the way.
So you should not try to put an agenda on someone else. That might be worse the paraphrase.
Hypocrite

Your paraphrasing is no where near what he said. Cowherd said baseball wasn't a complex sport. He states a third of the athletes in baseball are from the Dominican Republic. He also says the country is not known for its world class academic abilities. Which they are not. They are a third world country with tons of poverty and the educational system is poor.

So to say Cowherd basically said "baseball is so simple even Dominicans can do well" is poor paraphrasing.

Here is the whole quote from Cowherd:

“It’s too complex? I’ve never bought into that ‘baseball is too complex.’ Really? A third of the sport is from the Dominican Republic. The Dominican Republic has not been known in my lifetime as having world class academic abilities. A lot of those kids come from rough backgrounds and have not had opportunities academically that other kids from other countries have. Baseball is like any sport. It’s mostly instincts. A sportswriter who covers baseball could go up to Tony La Russa and make an argument and Tony would listen and it would seem reasonable. There’s not a single NFL writer in the country who could diagram a play for Bill Belichick. You know, we get caught up in this whole ‘thinking-man’s game.’ Is it in the same family? Most people could do it. It’s not being a concert pianist. It’s in the same family.”

That is funny as hell.

I am sick of the PC police.
Seriously, substitute other ethnicities and see who's offended. There are a mulititude of reasons to fire Cowherd, but I'm not sure this is serious enough to merit anything but maybe an apology. I'm losing ESPN anyway.

Your paraphrasing is no where near what he said. Cowherd said baseball wasn't a complex sport. He states a third of the athletes in baseball are from the Dominican Republic. He also says the country is not known for its world class academic abilities. Which they are not. They are a third world country with tons of poverty and the educational system is poor.

So to say Cowherd basically said "baseball is so simple even Dominicans can do well" is poor paraphrasing.

Here is the whole quote from Cowherd:

“It’s too complex? I’ve never bought into that ‘baseball is too complex.’ Really? A third of the sport is from the Dominican Republic. The Dominican Republic has not been known in my lifetime as having world class academic abilities. A lot of those kids come from rough backgrounds and have not had opportunities academically that other kids from other countries have. Baseball is like any sport. It’s mostly instincts. A sportswriter who covers baseball could go up to Tony La Russa and make an argument and Tony would listen and it would seem reasonable. There’s not a single NFL writer in the country who could diagram a play for Bill Belichick. You know, we get caught up in this whole ‘thinking-man’s game.’ Is it in the same family? Most people could do it. It’s not being a concert pianist. It’s in the same family.”
Now, who is paraphrasing for their own agenda?
I put I was paraphrasing, so it could be taken from context.
YOU can't even do that.
I am done with your babble and hypocritical remarks. Your responses have shown your agenda, your just not able to properly defend that stance.
Have a good weekend, you can still see cowherd on Fox

Good riddance, haven't really watched or listened to him for several years now and won't miss the guy. There are worse out there but I didn't particularly care all that much for Cowherd.

Those of you saying there is nothing wrong would probably be he first to complain if the comments insinuated something about your own religion, race, creed etc. The fact of the matter is, most of the conflict that exists in our world is a result of people ignorantly hating people that are different. Those of us with more enlightened sensibilities would prefer to educate those of us who are ignorant, so as to avoid unnecessary problems. I'm the first to agree that PC bs does get annoying, and our society is way over the top about it, but if abiding by some over the top pc rules helps to alleviate some of the hatred and conflict in our conflict ridden world, it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make.

And frankly, If you really think it's ok for a sports announcer to make a comment that indicated all dominicans are stupid, I have to question your own IQ? When someone works for a company, their words and actions represent that company and it's image. Of course ESPN fired him. I can't believe anyone would question that...unless you yourself are a bigot and have zero respect for dominicans.

In my perfect world John Wall would be doing the Dougie while Colin carried his box of stuff out of the building on his last day. I hope his Fox gig falls through because of it but probably won't happen. ESPN should just go ahead and kill of its radio for good by having Mike and Mike do 7 hours of worthless content every day.

In my perfect world John Wall would be doing the Dougie while Colin carried his box of stuff out of the building on his last day. I hope his Fox gig falls through because of it but probably won't happen. ESPN should just go ahead and kill of its radio for good by having Mike and Mike do 7 hours of worthless content every day.
Fox, will probably welcome him with open arms for that comment. Heck, they may even have "the Donald" there to greet, and welcome him into the fold!

Because it's a bad look.
If I own a grocery store, I don't want my cashiers (who directly interact with customers frequently) telling the customers "Thank you for shopping at (whatever the grocery store's name is), have a terrific day (insert racial comment here).
It's not so much of me firing this person for their beliefs, because they're entitled to like or dislike whoever they want, for whatever reason they want, whether I disagree or not, but there's a time to speak your mind, and a time to speak like a professional.
ESPN pays him their money for him to run a radio show in a professional manner, he failed to do so, and so they stopped paying him their money.

It's easy to criticize their move for firing him just as easy as it is to criticize him for his comments, but if I had to bet, if you were the owner of a company, and you're writing a very healthy check to somebody, you probably want them to behave like an adult should behave in public.

Now, who is paraphrasing for their own agenda?
I put I was paraphrasing, so it could be taken from context.
YOU can't even do that.
I am done with your babble and hypocritical remarks. Your responses have shown your agenda, your just not able to properly defend that stance.
Have a good weekend, you can still see cowherd on Fox
You certainly are passionate about this. However, you need to take an English 101 course.

1) Grammar. Your's is poor. You're struggling with your space bar I imagine. Or your keyboard is broken. This statement also shows the proper usage of your and you're.

2) Reading Comprehension. I only responded one time. Not numerous times. Before "babbling" defensively against someone, maybe you would like to read who you are responding to first.

3) Definitions. Paraphrase is listed in the dictionary as:
Express the meaning of (the writer or speaker or something written or spoken) using different words, especially to achieve greater clarity.
You missed Cowherd's meaning in your paraphrasing. You certainly didn't achieve great clarity. You actually broadened the possible meanings of what Cowherd said.

Finally, I am not a Cowherd fan. So I clearly don't have an agenda.

Atleast he won't be bashing cal on ESPN anymore lol
True, but the last year or so he was fairly positive on Cal. I saw him speak highly of Cal and praise him several times over the last year but we were undefeated so what else was he going to do.

People don't try to "control" racists, but they do try to discourage it and educate people on why it's wrong. Racism isn't just a set of naughty words or sentences (i.e. You're a ni$$er; you're not smart because you're a Dominican), it's also mindset that can effect how society views minority's to the point where minorities may not have as many opportunities and may get treated different by society. Especially when a guy like Cowherd does it, since he has such a big platform.

Also, you people who get so uptight about others getting in trouble for not being "PC" cry just as much as the PC police, and for worse reasons too.

No they don't, and it's not even close really. In this day and age, it has become way too easy for people to get online, find something not PC to their standards, find others to gang up, and go literally insane over it. Those are the facts.

His contract was expiring pretty soon and they were just looking for any reason. Guy was not my cup of tea and I didn't waste any time listening to him.

I haven't heard his latest comments in context and I'm not a fan of the PC crowd. But all the same, Cowherd has worked really hard over the years to be a self righteous tool and kick good people when they are down. Plus you know there's all that deep sports insight he has. I'm gonna miss him a long time okay what's for dinner?

If you want "context", here's the actual quote:

"I mean, the Marlins put a general manager in their dugout. People freaked out. You know, like, “Whoa!” It’s baseball. You don’t think a general manager can manage? Like it’s impossible? The game is too complex? Like, I’ve never bought into that. “Baseball’s too complex.” Really? A third of the sport is from the Dominican Republic. The Dominican Republic is not been known, in my lifetime, as having, you know, world-class academic abilities. I mean, a lot of those kids come from rough backgrounds, and have not had opportunities academically that other kids from other countries have. Baseball’s like any sport. It’s mostly instincts."

Off with his head!!!

Reactions: BlueSince92
I like having my resentments exploited.

dont-bother-me-im-thinking-12-blogs-of-a-christmas-story-thill-logistics-inc-thill-blog-i-like-santa-kid1.jpg

URL]" alt="Don't bother me. I'm thinking." >[img]

ADVERTISEMENT