ADVERTISEMENT

Could somebody who Coaches, describe the difference between the "Inside Zone" blocking vs. "Outside Zone" blocking?

The-Hack

All-American
Oct 1, 2016
I have assumed it is a shift in focus from running between the guards, broadened to run outside the tackles.

But I really have never heard a good explanation of the difference from a knowledgeable source.

Pre-season last year, Coen said our linemen easily outweighed the line on the team he coached in the pros. Are our bigguns too big/slow to "get outside" on outside zone blocking?

And hence, are we wasting our strength, drive blocking with mass, trying to make slower footed linemen move laterally rather than forward?

The outside zone in football is used for aggressive running and wears down the defensive pursuit. IT attacks the outside the edge but also uses backside cutoffs.

Think of it as a bigger, but slower DL that gets gassed later in the game. Because of this, the OL must be faster and more athletic. The idea is to cut the DL's angles, which creates running lanes for the RB.

Pounding the rock is more inside zone. It is designed inside the tackles. This is where you see more of the double teams. They hit the first level (DL) and advance to the second level (LB). It is all about numbers. Think of it as having 4 man DL. The Ol will help their teammate, but advance to the second level to take out the LB.

I hope I am making sense.

I have assumed it is a shift in focus from running between the guards, broadened to run outside the tackles.

But I really have never heard a good explanation of the difference from a knowledgeable source.

Pre-season last year, Coen said our linemen easily outweighed the line on the team he coached in the pros. Are our bigguns too big/slow to "get outside" on outside zone blocking?

And hence, are we wasting our strength, drive blocking with mass, trying to make slower footed linemen move laterally rather than forward?

This video does a decent job explaining it and visually shows you what is being done.

Essentially what you would be looking for is engagement and duo blocks. Zone scheme is going to have the laterally movement regardless of inside or outside.

Laswellracin offers a pretty good explanation of a play that can be kinda tricky to explain. Like many things in football, there are numerous little variations geared to a specifically in football. There are lots of little wrinkles between teams but in general I think you basically have this...

Inside Zone ... "designed" to hit either A-B gap; features double team blocking by OL; often requires 2 "combo" blocks on play side​
Outside Zone..."scoop" and "stretch" blocking on play side OL; "C orD" gap (stretch until hole "opens "to cutback); play not really meant to be a sweep​

IMO, Inside Zone is a popular scheme today because it is a good scheme to attack 3 down defensive linemen (between the tackles) that have become common in todays defenses. Outside Zone is more suited for stretching play laterally until "deep" off tackle cutback seam appears.

I encourage others to add as necessary. This pretty much evolved AFTER my time with the game! [winking]

Peace

Inside: "Dent" the front by getting vertical push (double-teams on interior DL wherein one of the two OL 'climbs' to an ILB). RB "presses" one of the doubleteams until an opening appears. Physicality and ability to drive by OL is a must.

Outside: "Stretch" the front by getting horizontal push. More one-on-ones by the OL and more patience required by RB to get the defense to pursue laterally until an opening occurs. Sometimes that's outside, but usually a lane opens between two OLinemen whose main job is to keep contact with -- not necessarily physically dominate -- their defender.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT