ADVERTISEMENT

Commonwealth stadium renovation

Originally posted by DACats86:
Guys, through much effort and sneakiness, I have been able to obtain images of the new mid-filed logo and the helmets that will be worn in TheNewCWS. UK spared no expense, hiring a special consultant to design the logos and helmet, and paying him over $10 million. I don't know his name, but the consultant's initials are CMN, and he has some existing relationship with the field at Commonwealth? Anyhow, I digress. Here are the mid-field logo and helmets:

ec

They've really outdone themselves this time!
You can bet that if something is renamed ,or is named , it will have something to do with somebody that played basketball...good job by the way
smokin.r191677.gif

Originally posted by cmark22:
Are they going to resurface the rv lot? I came by there today and it's all tore up.
The RV lot has been moved around so much in recent years that I can't recall exactly where it was last season. But if it was the large lot on the other side of Alumni from the Blue Lot (i.e., between Alumni and the Greg Page apartments), then that lot will be removed to accommodate the reconfiguring of Alumni and a flood mitigation project. Essentially, they'll be putting in two new roundabouts on Alumni (one at University intersection and one at the next road (Sports Complex Rd. or something similar) and shifting a portion of Alumni a little further away from CWS. Most of that large old parking lot will be green space, and it looks like they're will be a little more green space between the reconfigured Alumni and the Blue Lot.

I ran around the football stadium this AM and really like the limestone façade on the street level, it is complete on the Cooper Drive side, looks outstanding and gives CWS a bit of old school charm. Nice touch.

Originally posted by Tskware:
I ran around the football stadium this AM and really like the limestone façade on the street level, it is complete on the Cooper Drive side, looks outstanding and gives CWS a bit of old school charm. Nice touch.
Agree Thought the same thing when I saw it. It really pops out at you but in a good way. I was amazed in how different the stadium looks just with the outside improvements. Have been to many college stadiums and what CWS is starting to look like is different than any other stadium I have seen in person. Not as big, but will have its own identity. Before, it was just steel beams and seats. Not the case now. Keep in mind they are adding the limestone to the new training complex as well. When its all done its really going to stand out and be a big selling point to future recruits.

Originally posted by DubyaT:
Originally posted by cmark22:
Are they going to resurface the rv lot? I came by there today and it's all tore up.
The RV lot has been moved around so much in recent years that I can't recall exactly where it was last season. But if it was the large lot on the other side of Alumni from the Blue Lot (i.e., between Alumni and the Greg Page apartments), then that lot will be removed to accommodate the reconfiguring of Alumni and a flood mitigation project. Essentially, they'll be putting in two new roundabouts on Alumni (one at University intersection and one at the next road (Sports Complex Rd. or something similar) and shifting a portion of Alumni a little further away from CWS. Most of that large old parking lot will be green space, and it looks like they're will be a little more green space between the reconfigured Alumni and the Blue Lot.
Wow, lots of changes going on. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Can't believe there isn't some kind of acknowledgement of the coal industry in the new CWS.

UK has benefitted immensely for decades from their relationship with the coal business.

Hell, UK athletics might not even exist without coal money.

A lot of progress made this past week. They are putting the bleachers back in around the new recruiting room. Sort of surprised they are now tearing up the field. Figured that might have waited a little longer. Not sure when they start putting in the new club area seats. Would be interested to see what the new concessions and restroom areas are looking like. I know that is a big issue with a lot of fans.

Looking better each day.

Originally posted by Robcatt24:

Can't believe there isn't some kind of acknowledgement of the coal industry in the new CWS.

UK has benefitted immensely for decades from their relationship with the coal business.

Hell, UK athletics might not even exist without coal money.
So just throw the name "Coal" on something in the new redesign, even though noone in the coal industry or company in the coal industry donated 1 red sent of the $130M to pay for it?
confused0020.r191677.gif

No. They want to pay for something in the stadium, like they did buildng the basketball team a new dorm, then that will get the coal name on there. Otherwise hell no to free advertising. Pay to play.

I wish they would go through and take pictures of the other side of the stadium that is farther along, the new team store, and the inside of the concourses to show how those are going as well. The end zone where the new locker room and recruiting room is will look completely different. Be interested to see how it looks.

Originally posted by Spica Orbit:
Originally posted by loucatfan:

Originally posted by Spica Orbit:

Originally posted by loucatfan:

Originally posted by JHB4UK:
We've just gotta come up with something, some look and stick with it, promote the hell out of it so that the second our stadium/game is on tv or on highlights everyone in the country knows it is UK

LSU's got their midfield tiger's eye, UT's got the white & orange checkerboard, Boise blue turf, Georgia's hedges. Surely a small part of the $130M is being expended to find a unique and special identifying look for us.
Should have to do with horse racing.
If so, it should be burned to the ground immediately.

Spica Orbit
aaaah? Horse racing means a billion dollars to our economy and is a very important part of our culture particularly Lexington and surround areas. Like, Keeneland, the Horse park, Calumet,the Keenland sales ,Horse farms. Bluegrass and racing go hand in hand. Don't understand the comment?
It just has absolutely nothing to do with football. It's almost as bad as putting a image of a basketball out at the middle of the field, just because basketball is important to the state, too.

Spica Orbit
I can't stand the horse racing references for UK athletics. Nike created this trend with associating uniform accents with the old Secretariat silks. I understand it is a part of Kentucky culture, but we are not the Murray State Racers. We do not make a direct reference to horse racing with our nickname. We are the Wildcats, and we should direct uniform accents and other things associated with the University of Kentucky Athletics toward that. If not change the name to Thoroughbreds or something and use the existing marketing tactic.

This post was edited on 4/20 12:58 PM by KentUcKy-Kats

Reactions: THE_OAK
Double rack

to hell with trying to force horsies, or coal, or bourbon into my beloved University of Kentucky Wildcat football program. unless those people want to step up and help fund the damn thing.

my dad infused me with great contempt for those types of people....that the coal barons, bourbon distillers and horsefarm owners were classic UK basketball/Tennesee football frontrunners back in the 60's/70's.

Reactions: Kooky Kats
UK band does the "call to the post" before every basketball and football game.

Originally posted by Boyz_N_Blue:
Which is more than enough.

The only nod to Kentucky I wish they'd incorporate is the band playing "Blue Moon of Kentucky" regularly. The marching band belting that one out during a night game at Commonwealth would be pretty awesome, IMO.

Originally posted by SAECATFAN:

The only nod to Kentucky I wish they'd incorporate is the band playing "Blue Moon of Kentucky" regularly. The marching band belting that one out during a night game at Commonwealth would be pretty awesome, IMO.
Wait. Referencing the horse racing culture that surrounds the region is a bad thing, but the marching band playing that hillbilly shit is "awesome" for UK football?

Sweet Jesus.

Originally posted by The_Godfather:

Wait. Referencing the horse racing culture that surrounds the region is a bad thing, but the marching band playing that hillbilly shit is "awesome" for UK football?

Sweet Jesus.
I don't know the song and I don't care too much about this argument...having said that, a band playing a song is much better than Nike or the field design people incorporated a famous horse/jockeys silks pattern into our jerseys or field.

Call to the post is one thing, but any on-field logo/naming related to horse racing is pathetic and desperate, IMO. It's football for crying out loud.

And the "hillbilly" Blue Moon of Kentucky is a bluegrass song. You know, the genre of music that derives its name from its relation to our state. I guess you think I've Been Working on the Railroad, Rocky Top and the like are stupid, too?

Originally posted by JHB4UK:
Double rack

to hell with trying to force horsies, or coal, or bourbon[/B] into my beloved University of Kentucky Wildcat football program. unless those people want to step up and help fund the damn thing.

my dad infused me with great contempt for those types of people....that the coal barons, bourbon distillers and horsefarm owners were classic UK basketball/Tennesee football frontrunners back in the 60's/70's.
whoa, whoa, whoa...thats been a big help to me and my UK Football experience over the years. I hope they make the seats out of old barrels.

I guess the outline of the state with 120 on the
basketball uniforms is lost on a lot of people too.

Nobody
seemed to mind the Bourbon Barrel…

The checkerboards are incorporated into almost
all of the uniforms for all of the sports at UK.

There are lots of "Wildcats" and lots of teams
with the colors blue and white…it is a way to make the uniforms unique. It isn't as if there's the outline of horses
or horseshoes… doubt many would know the significance if they didn't tell you.

Me thinks
that if the team starts winning that nobody will care if they wear Yankee
pinstripes.

Lot of horse anger up in here!

I've always considered bourbon, horse racing and UK football to be intertwined. Probably because of all of those years driving across the state and finally through the farms of Woodford/Fayette to get to Commonwealth Stadium ... and then drinking heavily once there.

Maybe they will someday rename Richmond "Blue Moon" and put it on the I-75 exit signs.

Originally posted by JasonS.:

I've always considered bourbon, horse racing and UK football to be intertwined. Probably because of all of those years driving across the state and finally through the farms of Woodford/Fayette to get to Commonwealth Stadium ... and then drinking heavily once there.
Don't get me wrong. I love horse racing and bourbon as much as the next guy. I just don't think it is appropriate that we base our uniform signature after a horse jockeys silk from the 70's. It seems lazy and insignificant to what the university established years ago regarding our naming of the Wildcats.

Originally posted by KentUcKy-Kats:

Originally posted by JasonS.:

Don't get me wrong. I love horse racing and bourbon as much as the next guy. I just don't think it is appropriate that we base our uniform signature after a horse jockeys silk from the 70's. It seems lazy and insignificant to what the university established years ago regarding our naming of the Wildcats.
I agree, the checkered shoulders look like a blouse. It's embarrassing, we should have stripes on the shoulders like a football jersey.

I would bet there will be updated football uniforms this fall that reflect CMS's preferences including the blue/white checkerboard colors Secretariat wore. Just guessing, of course.

Sweet Jesus.
You need to work on being more inclusive. SAECATFAN happens to be one of our hilljack fans. There's nothing wrong with that. Granted, it is a little embarrassing, though.

Reactions: SAECATFAN
I've always thought it would be cool to use two different shades of green (similar to the alternating turf colors you see at Oregon), but do a massive state of Kentucky going from one 10 yard line to the other in one green and then the remainder of the field (the outskirts around the state) in another green. Subtle, but very cool.

"Bubs" must be people who don't look at gift horses in the mouth:

The Rupp bottle will help raise money to expand the Center for Academic and Tutorial Services (CATS) at the University of Kentucky. CATS helps support student athletes. They are hoping to raise a total of $2 million for CATS through contributions from Maker's Mark and Keeneland, along with proceeds from sales of commemorative bottles. Keeneland has pledged to match fundraising efforts, contributing $20,000 per year for the next five years.

When it comes down to it, I just want a team playing on the new field that can win. They can have no paint, cool logos, etc. as long as this program finally starts winning games. Its purely a marketing ploy by UK keeping it secret because they know how interested a portion of the fan base is about the new field. Whatever they do there will be some that love it and others that do not. Win games and it becomes a mute point.
Agree 100%. I couldn't care less about logos or marketing slogans associated with the program right now. I dream of a day when others will use "winning" as an adjective for us, otherwise, all of the logos in the world won't make a difference whatsoever.

I vote the design from the throwback helmets (Ohio U vintage) at midfield, with blue/white/blue endzones, divided horizontally (25/50/25). Anyone care to design that?

Stoops on KSR said he saw the field design not long ago, but didn't get too specific. Said it was clean and "good looking", and there is some blue in the end zones, FWIW.

I've always thought it would be cool to use two different shades of green (similar to the alternating turf colors you see at Oregon), but do a massive state of Kentucky going from one 10 yard line to the other in one green and then the remainder of the field (the outskirts around the state) in another green. Subtle, but very cool.

I like the Kentucky idea. Similar to what Arizona did with "bear down" on their field. Hope the picture or link posts. Still not good at this.

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.town...a7-001a4bcf887a/5115475e119de.preview-620.jpg

Stoops sounded like it would be a pretty traditional style field design. Probably looking at the UK logo midfield and KENTUCKY WILDCATS in white w/EZs blue.

Lol that was a concept drawing by a fan. He has them for every school. KY isn't paying anyone 10 million to design a logo or helmets. That's ridiculous.

Think we're gonna have he standard "UK" logo at midfield, blue endzones with white "KENTUCKY" and "WILDCATS", and "SEC" logos at the 25's. Only thing I would like added would be blue turf extended along the sidelines (ala the Rose Bowl) and the old school H goalposts.

ADVERTISEMENT