ADVERTISEMENT

Commonwealth stadium renovation

wildcatbd21

Sophomore
Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
Sellersburg, IN
Looks like they are taking up the wood beams they have been driving on from the field. Guess that means the heavy lifting is done and the cranes are no longer needed on the inside. Once they get the beams out, they can start removing the grass. Not too much longer and we could be seeing our new playing surface being put into place.

I drove up for the scrimmage last Saturday and had a chance to take a close look at the renovation. I am pumped at what I saw. This is going to be an outstanding facility.

The only negative was they messed the blue lot up and I need to reevaluate my parking pass options.
This post was edited on 4/15 2:29 PM by Sawnee Cat

I agree that the finished product will be amazing. Can't wait for the first game.

Last I heard was Coach Stoops said in an interview a while ago they were still designing how the field would look and they were not sure which goalposts they would go with. I think with where the tunnel is, it would be nice to have H shaped goalposts instead of the usual look. Kind of like what they have at LSU and FSU.

The facilities are going to be fantastic. Heard Mitch say they thought they were going to stay with the single-post goalposts because they don't have the "quick take down" H-style goal posts. I hope they reconsider - really like the look of the old-style H ones.

Odd that they would be doing that before replacing the risers in the East end zone. Perhaps there is a delay getting those precast slabs and they're going to start the prep for the new turf... Who knows?

Originally posted by DACats86:
The facilities are going to be fantastic. Heard Mitch say they thought they were going to stay with the single-post goalposts because they don't have the "quick take down" H-style goal posts. I hope they reconsider - really like the look of the old-style H ones.
Really wish we could start using some discretion on the field rushing to begin with.

Originally posted by SAECATFAN:
Really wish we could start using some discretion on the field rushing to begin with.
Completely agree. Have been at the Alabama win, the win over UGA at Commonwealth, the "Stevie Got Loose" win, the LSU win, the USC win this year, and many others - have never "rushed the field." Never plan to.

Notice they have removed the head wall from some of the upper level access portals. Why is that?

I just checked on the live cam and I don't see what the OP is referring to, all the beams on the turf are still there.

Looks like they are expanding the entrances/exits on the upper deck (UK side). Are they doing that on the entire stadium as well?

Notice they have removed the head wall from some of the upper level access portals. Why is that?
Good eyes!
If you go look at the drawings of how it will look when complete you can see that those portals are enlarged. Not sure why...they also lose about a dozen seats over each of those portals.

Originally posted by sluggercatfan:
is there an actual rendering somewhere of what the field is actually going to look like
I'm guessing it will look like the practice fields. UK logo at midfield. Blue end zones with white KENTUCIKY and WILDCATS, iirc. Only so much you can do. The logo can't be any bigger than it already was because it has to fit between the hash marks.

Originally posted by fuzz77:

Good eyes!
If you go look at the drawings of how it will look when complete you can see that those portals are enlarged. Not sure why...they also lose about a dozen seats over each of those portals.
I suspect those portals will be enlarged only on the South side of CWS, and if I had to guess, I would think it is necessary for them to "re-do" the stairs and platforms by which you access the portal to make more room for the loge area that is replacing the old press box and underhang seats on that side.

Originally posted by DubyaT:

Originally posted by fuzz77:

Good eyes!
I suspect those portals will be enlarged only on the South side of CWS, and if I had to guess, I would think it is necessary for them to "re-do" the stairs and platforms by which you access the portal to make more room for the loge area that is replacing the old press box and underhang seats on that side.
That makes sense.

3dgrin.r191677.gif

Originally posted by Crankdatmustard:
Anyone know if the Papa Johns Personal Pans will still be awful and soggy for $6?

TIA
If you eat Papa John's Pizza what more do you expect...They could give it away for free and I'm not eating it
smokin.r191677.gif

Originally posted by Boyz_N_Blue:
I just checked on the live cam and I don't see what the OP is referring to, all the beams on the turf are still there.
No, they are removing the beams. They killed the grass underneath so it looks like they are still there. Zoom in and you can see better.

Originally posted by Beavis606:

Originally posted by sluggercatfan:
is there an actual rendering somewhere of what the field is actually going to look like
I'm guessing it will look like the practice fields. UK logo at midfield. Blue end zones with white KENTUCIKY and WILDCATS, iirc. Only so much you can do. The logo can't be any bigger than it already was because it has to fit between the hash marks.
Agree. Do not expect anything much different.

Hope to see a little more blue particularly with the logo at midfield. I'm leary of the glare the turf will produce with the lights but not sure anything can be done about that.

Originally posted by LordEgg:
i like how clean and simple our old field looked anyway. those who want cat scratches and multiple letters at the 25, and crazy looking stuff need to follow nascar.
I think a Cat Scratch design midfield (sort of like LSU's Tiger Eye) would be different and eye popping. Maybe a UK logo with a cat scratch on it. Something along those lines. That said, it will be the basic UK logo. Do not see UK doing anything real different, but think Stoops is having a lot of input and maybe he has something in mind that will surprise us.

Just saw where they are adding the bench backs on the other side of the stadium. Its going to start looking much nicer with more Blue being added to the seats and all. Will be interested to see how different it looks when they add the club seats.

We've just gotta come up with something, some look and stick with it, promote the hell out of it so that the second our stadium/game is on tv or on highlights everyone in the country knows it is UK

LSU's got their midfield tiger's eye, UT's got the white & orange checkerboard, Boise blue turf, Georgia's hedges. Surely a small part of the $130M is being expended to find a unique and special identifying look for us.

Originally posted by JHB4UK:
We've just gotta come up with something, some look and stick with it, promote the hell out of it so that the second our stadium/game is on tv or on highlights everyone in the country knows it is UK

LSU's got their midfield tiger's eye, UT's got the white & orange checkerboard, Boise blue turf, Georgia's hedges. Surely a small part of the $130M is being expended to find a unique and special identifying look for us.
Something that all--well maybe not ut at this moment--that KENTUCKY does NOT have that makes them special...WINNING FOOTBALL...When we win it will become special
smokin.r191677.gif

Should have to do with horse racing.

Kentucky = bourbon, coal, horse racing, beautiful women, bourbon, tobacco, hemp, bourbon, beautiful women...
3dgrin.r191677.gif

Talkig of beautiful women I heard a Neil Diamond version of Ketucky Woman the other day on Sirus . Don't know why we don't play it at games. Would be perfect.

Jen Smith of the LHL tweeted earlier that work on the new field surface will begin next week, and she's working on getting info regarding the closely guarded secret of what the new field will look like.

This may just be me…but I really like the idea of bringing the standalone K logo. Maybe not all of the time but I would like to see it worked into the midfield/helmets occasionally.

I have assumed, but never heard for sure (or thought to ask until now) but we are staying with a natural grass surface correct?

Reactions: CB3UK
Originally posted by Catfanlou:
Talkig of beautiful women I heard a Neil Diamond version of Ketucky Woman the other day on Sirus . Don't know why we don't play it at games. Would be perfect.
OK, I'm old...."Neil Diamond version"? Neil Diamond wrote and recorded it. Are there other "versions"?

Originally posted by loucatfan:

If so, it should be burned to the ground immediately.

Spica Orbit

Originally posted by Spica Orbit:

Spica Orbit
aaaah? Horse racing means a billion dollars to our economy and is a very important part of our culture particularly Lexington and surround areas. Like, Keeneland, the Horse park, Calumet,the Keenland sales ,Horse farms. Bluegrass and racing go hand in hand. Don't understand the comment?

Originally posted by Spica Orbit:

Spica Orbit
aaaah? Horse racing means a billion dollars to our economy and is a very important part of our culture particularly Lexington and surround areas. Like, Keeneland, the Horse park, Calumet,the Keenland sales ,Horse farms. Bluegrass and racing go hand in hand. Don't understand the comment?
It just has absolutely nothing to do with football. It's almost as bad as putting a image of a basketball out at the middle of the field, just because basketball is important to the state, too.

Spica Orbit

I think I'm the only one that likes a grass field. All in favor of a unique end zone design but not going crazy

Originally posted by DubyaT:
Jen Smith of the LHL tweeted earlier that work on the new field surface will begin next week, and she's working on getting info regarding the closely guarded secret of what the new field will look like.
Don't understand why it needs to be so secretive. WTF difference does it make? UK can be silly.

yeah, good luck UK keeping a big ass tarp over the new super duper secret field surface to prevent anyone from seeing it until right before kickoff on Sept 5th!!

When it comes down to it, I just want a team playing on the new field that can win. They can have no paint, cool logos, etc. as long as this program finally starts winning games. Its purely a marketing ploy by UK keeping it secret because they know how interested a portion of the fan base is about the new field. Whatever they do there will be some that love it and others that do not. Win games and it becomes a mute point.

Reactions: ClockCalamity
Originally posted by ukalumni00:
When it comes down to it, I just want a team playing on the new field that can win. They can have no paint, cool logos, etc. as long as this program finally starts winning games. Its purely a marketing ploy by UK keeping it secret because they know how interested a portion of the fan base is about the new field. Whatever they do there will be some that love it and others that do not. Win games and it becomes a mute point.
WHAT?! SPEAK UP, SONNY, I CAN'T HEAR YOU!

Guys, through much effort and sneakiness, I have been able to obtain images of the new mid-filed logo and the helmets that will be worn in TheNewCWS. UK spared no expense, hiring a special consultant to design the logos and helmet, and paying him over $10 million. I don't know his name, but the consultant's initials are CMN, and he has some existing relationship with the field at Commonwealth? Anyhow, I digress. Here are the mid-field logo and helmets:

KentuckyHelmet.jpg

They've really outdone themselves this time!

Are they going to resurface the rv lot? I came by there today and it's all tore up.

ADVERTISEMENT