ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Stoops on KSR show today 11 AM EST

JHB4UK

All-American
May 29, 2001
per twitter

nice to get a full hour of post Spring breakdown from our head coach. kinda wish Maggard could join in and provide some much needed help with quality questions he will receive, though.

I heard part of it. One thing I like about CMS, he may use coach-speak, as all coaches do when dealing with the media, but he makes it very easy to read between the lines and is transparent (in a good way.) You never feel like you're getting a load of bs from him. He's been honest since day 1 about where positions of concern are, issues from the previous regime, what he's trying to accomplish, etc.

Each year going in, I feel like our expectations as a fan base have been more consistently in line with what we should realistically expect than in any season under Joker or even Brooks. I think Coach's upfront approach has really played a part in that. So after hearing how he spoke about spring progress and where we stand headed towards summer, I really feel like a bowl game is coming.

It was a fantastic hour touching on so many topics, encourage all UK fans to go find the KSR podcats of the 2nd hour yesterday and listen

I liked his explanation on the move to fieldturf ... the rye overseeding making the grass slick later in the season.

I have no idea if that's true or not, but it sounded convincing.

If you have ever played golf during the winter on overseeded rye grass, it is very slick and hard to keep your feet in place when swinging. Now, imagine playing SEC football on the same type of grass and trying to run at full speed and making cuts on a dime and you can understand where Stoops is coming from.

Surely there are other grass options out there that will hold up to the beating without the slickness issue.

If you have ever played golf during the winter on overseeded rye grass, it is very slick and hard to keep your feet in place when swinging. Now, imagine playing SEC football on the same type of grass and trying to run at full speed and making cuts on a dime and you can understand where Stoops is coming from.

Fortunately, both teams play on the same field.

however, it always seemed like it was our guys slipping and falling, not the other team, AND IT'S OUR FIELD.

I know that is the reason he cited, but it ain't just the slipperiness late in the season motivating the change. The field is delicate, and we can't practice on the damn stuff during the week or it would be too torn up for the game on Sat. Stoops wants our guys in the stadium practicing some to get acclimated to the sight lines and soforth, but could not before.

Now with the field turf we can go 2 a days all week and it will still be fine on Saturday for a game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT