ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Prime is SI's Sportsman of the Year

gamecockcat

All-SEC
Oct 29, 2004
Yes, CU was better. However, they went 4-8 with all 4 wins over teams with losing records. Finished dead last in the Pac12. He brought a lot of excitement to Boulder and a lot of attention to himself, to no one's surprise.

But, Sportsman of the Year? Even local sports talk radio is questioning that. What accolade will he receive if they make a bowl - HOF induction?

So the whole company must be made up of AI now.

Will admit, first time I've heard who the Sportsperson of the year was since,....I don't know. Lance Armstrong? Heck first time hearing Sports Illustrated. So I guess they did what they struck out to do. Get attention.

Maybe it's like a different thing now. Like how Time Man of the Year is not an honor or award, just kind of a title someone can gets named for being the biggest ahole of the year if applicable.

The Deion/Colorado circus always has the same comment section. It's filled with certain cheerleaders who act like the only ones who are critical of him are doing so far hateful reasons, completely ignoring that the public always cheers for humble pie when it comes to cockiness.

These same cheerleaders also move the goalposts from what they were saying in September. A few months ago, they acted like Colorado was amazing and talking about possible playoffs and how Travis Hunter was going to win the Heisman. THEN, reality hits, and the narrative is "Look, this team was only expected to win one game. It takes time."

Colorado might be one of the most ridiculous hype fests I've ever seen the media create.

Colorado jumped the shark in game 3 when the announcers were acting like beating Colorado State in overtime was like beating Alabama. Screaming "DO YOU BELIEVE!?!?!" Then you had their students rushing the field to beat a G5 team. At least it was good for a laugh.

Colorado jumped the shark in game 3 when the announcers were acting like beating Colorado State in overtime was like beating Alabama. Screaming "DO YOU BELIEVE!?!?!" Then you had their students rushing the field to beat a G5 team. At least it was good for a laugh.
Mark Jones for ESPN loudly proclaiming “DO YOU BELIEVE NOW?!” when Colorado escaped a bad Colorado State team in overtime was the height of an overhyped media creation.

One reason for it was probably the win over the team that made it to the championship game last year that finished 3-6 in conference.

Yeah. Sport illustrated Is a dead rag nowadays. I mean after the Stanford loss…the rose was off rhe bloom. Yet months later they are still imagining sanders is a story
If he won it this year. Stoops should have won it twice.

team-america.gif

Integrity and the publics trust used to be cornerstones of good journalism, but that went by the wayside once internet clicks took over. I know that reads like an old man Boomer take but I'm in my 30s. All SI has done is continually damage their once impeccable credibility, this being the latest in a list of idiotic moves they've made. Used to be such a good magazine as a kid.

Yes, CU was better. However, they went 4-8 with all 4 wins over teams with losing records. Finished dead last in the Pac12. He brought a lot of excitement to Boulder and a lot of attention to himself, to no one's surprise.

But, Sportsman of the Year? Even local sports talk radio is questioning that. What accolade will he receive if they make a bowl - HOF induction?
Ridiculous just goes to show bias in Media. These awards mean nothing anymore. I do not pay any attention anymore since they gave the woman with balls Newsweek person of year.

Integrity and the publics trust used to be cornerstones of good journalism, but that went by the wayside once internet clicks took over. I know that reads like an old man Boomer take but I'm in my 30s. All SI has done is continually damage their once impeccable credibility, this being the latest in a list of idiotic moves they've made. Used to be such a good magazine as a kid.
I trust history less and less everyday. I see how they report what happened yesterday.

Been a rag for a long time. I quit reading it after the Kentucky's Shame cover in the 80s.

It's one of the saddest tales when you consider how iconic it once was. I looked forward so much to getting those magazines every week to see the photos and read the articles. It's straight dog sht now

Reactions: CB3UK
Ridiculous just goes to show bias in Media. These awards mean nothing anymore. I do not pay any attention anymore since they gave the woman with balls Newsweek person of year.

I haven't paid much attention since I found out Hitler was once Time mag's man of the year.

They should change the name of the subject from journalism to orgilism for these entertainment only "news" organizations and publications. They're all just looking to create the next feeding frenzy....

Reactions: KYCAT78
And to top it off...our good ole buddy Pat Forde wrote the SI article.

Making up more Deion bulljive to justify a silly award.

Deion Sanders: God-Fearing Man.​

If hip-hop culture isn’t your thing, Sanders can pull you in with his public espousing of religion. He is a God Squadder who refrains from swearing, peppering his sentences with durn and bull junk as replacements for cuss words—just as his legendary college coach, Bobby Bowden, did.

There is no greater example of Sanders’s cross-demographic reach than his friendships with Lil Wayne and Peggy Coppom, the lifelong fan who has become the Sister Jean of Colorado football. Coppom goes to church daily and respects Sanders’s religious nature. “I really like the fact that he’s not reluctant to express his faith in God,” she says. If there was anything Sanders did this year that could be characterized as Christianity in action, it was his peacemaker role after Colorado State safety Henry Blackburn delivered a cheap shot that led to Hunter missing 3 1/2 games with an internal injury. With Colorado fans heaping abuse on Blackburn and his family, Sanders defused the situation.

Deion probably will turn Colorado into a decent program in the coming years but yeah...getting this award at 4-8 is asinine. Hell Stoops went 7-5 this year...does he get the Nobel Peace Prize?

Reactions: gamecockcat
And to top it off...our good ole buddy Pat Forde wrote the SI article.

Making up more Deion bulljive to justify a silly award.

Deion Sanders: God-Fearing Man.​

If hip-hop culture isn’t your thing, Sanders can pull you in with his public espousing of religion. He is a God Squadder who refrains from swearing, peppering his sentences with durn and bull junk as replacements for cuss words—just as his legendary college coach, Bobby Bowden, did.

There is no greater example of Sanders’s cross-demographic reach than his friendships with Lil Wayne and Peggy Coppom, the lifelong fan who has become the Sister Jean of Colorado football. Coppom goes to church daily and respects Sanders’s religious nature. “I really like the fact that he’s not reluctant to express his faith in God,” she says. If there was anything Sanders did this year that could be characterized as Christianity in action, it was his peacemaker role after Colorado State safety Henry Blackburn delivered a cheap shot that led to Hunter missing 3 1/2 games with an internal injury. With Colorado fans heaping abuse on Blackburn and his family, Sanders defused the situation.
I've heard that about Prime (religious) but, c'mon, is someone that narcissistic REALLY a religious person? It's all ME, ME, ME with Prime. He may, at heart, be a good guy but he sure puts out a public persona of 'look at me', 'pay attention to me', 'no one on my team is as good as I am/was or wants to win more than I do', etc. Hard to equate that with a truly religious person. Maybe just me.

Reactions: K_TIME
I've heard that about Prime (religious) but, c'mon, is someone that narcissistic REALLY a religious person? It's all ME, ME, ME with Prime. He may, at heart, be a good guy but he sure puts out a public persona of 'look at me', 'pay attention to me', 'no one on my team is as good as I am/was or wants to win more than I do', etc. Hard to equate that with a truly religious person. Maybe just me.
Deion doesn’t show many biblical fruits

1. Rappers and terrible messages on his sideline
2. His own son flashing his Rolex pose constantly
3. Brittany Renner invited to talk to his team

I he csn talk a sentence about God when he’s winning but sure has so many anti God influence around his own person

Reactions: gamecockcat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT