ADVERTISEMENT

Coach K to the OKC Thunder???

Tampa_cat54

Senior
Apr 22, 2011
THIS IS JUST A RUMOR. I live in OKC, and a lot of chatter going around right now.

Coach K has been confirmed that he is in OKC right now.

It is a recruiting dead period, so he cannot be in OKC to see a recruit. Very interesting.

This is a tweet from the sports reporter at the Norman Transcript, a suburb of OKC.

Michael Kinney @EyeAmTruth · now5 minutes ago
Word is Coach K was at Charlestons today for lunch. Also hearing he met with Kevin Durant. Interesting going ons with the #Thunder and #OKC

Another reporter just tweeted this.

Alex Roig‏@ThatsOKCBball
Hearing a lot of rumors that Coach K may be in play for the Thunder job. Bennett and McClendon in Durham last wk, Coach K in OKC today.Hmm..

Thoughts?

sN270H9.gif

Reactions: wildcatdonf
Never happen now. I would be shocked if he left this recruiting class hanging.

Here's a tweet from Trae Young, a top 30 recruit for 2017. People thought the only other reason he would be in OKC would be to see him.

Trae Young‏@TheTraeYoung
It's dead period now for recruiting. Coaches can't be out to see High School players until July. Only phone conversations. #JustFYI

Now wouldn't that be something. Three or four straight years of Cal to the NBA rumors and Coack K slips out of Duke in the dead of night.

I believe Coach K would listen to any decent NBA job that opens, Specially with his good worth with Team USA, and how much those players liked him, I would expect he'd get calls and interviews. It's one thing to talk to a team about an opening and 1000% different to take the job. I would never believe he'd actually leave for the NBA until it happens, but I don't think it would be completely shocking either.

The local news in OKC is reporting there is a tent city going up around their arena. So far it's up to about 14 tents!

Kevin Durant and Coach K are in secret negotiations in one of the tents right now.

Yeah, I place the likelihood of K ever leaving Duke pre-retirement at approximately 0.00000001%. And that may be being a tad generous.

You know, I can see how he would be tempted.

In college, he's the all time wins leader and has 5 National Championships. Nothing left to prove there.

Internationally, he has two Olympic Gold Medals and two World Cup Gold Medals. Nothing left to prove there.

Only one real mountain left to conquer: the NBA, and if he could win that title he'd be the first coach in basketball history to conquer all three levels. And with Westbrook and Durant (two players he already knows well from coaching them on Team USA), plus Ibaka, he'd have a helluva shot at doing it next year. Not a bad way to cap a glorious career.

The perfect time for Ingram to be notified that the Duke coach is looking for a house in OKC.

Jason, your first post was dead on.....no need to say anything else.

Start the 24/7 Coach K marathon on ESPN, and Duke bumping him to be the highest paid collegiate coach, then after much consideration, Coach K will turn OKC down and Vitale will show us his Coach K Mancave and cry happy tears live on the air.

In college, he's the all time wins leader and has 5 National Championships. Nothing left to prove there.

Internationally, he has two Olympic Gold Medals and two World Cup Gold Medals. Nothing left to prove there.

Only one real mountain left to conquer: the NBA, and if he could win that title he'd be the first coach in basketball history to conquer all three levels. And with Westbrook and Durant (two players he already knows well from coaching them on Team USA), plus Ibaka, he'd have a helluva shot at doing it next year. Not a bad way to cap a glorious career.
Also Kanter picked his game up when arriving in OKC.. He became a force inside.

Bingo. People saying it is impossible are being a bit rash.

I think he would definitely entertain the offer if it comes his way.

Whether or not he would actually accept it? Who knows.

Well...I hope this hits twitter like a storm to scare Ingram if he was going there.

Maybe the idea of coaching a brand new team every season is souring on K. It's the only way he'll continue to compete at the highest level.

That said, I'd forfeit my ability to have any future children if it meant K left for the NBA this summer.

ADVERTISEMENT