ADVERTISEMENT

Coach K Post Game Press Conference

I wish he would have talked about himself. K gave up on his team a long time before the game was over. Sullen expression. Glued to the bench. No fight in him.

mouse-eating.jpg

Coach K is a great coach and is most always very classy and complimentary in defeat. Don't really understand the hate for him other than his team getting a ton of calls to go in Dukes favor.
No one can disagree with what you said. But you can't dispute that the Dealer (Espn) and the Pit Master (NCAA/Officials) deal Coach K 7 cards and the rest of us 5.

I wish he would have talked about himself. K gave up on his team a long time before the game was over. Sullen expression. Glued to the bench. No fight in him.

Having watched a lot of K over the years, you'll see that, early in the year, he does tend to be a little less demonstrative. He has spoken often about how teams are different, and how some teams find the fire within, and other teams need to have the fire brought to them from outside (i.e. him). I get the impression he tends to let earlier teams find their way a little, as a way to see if they are going to be more of a self-motivating team, or more of a motivation-from-without sort of team.

And I think, a lot like any veteran coach, he has been here and done this. I don't think many coaches get THAT fired up over early games, and I think they have better perspective than many fans often do:) Plus, you have to remember... they usually KNOW the other coaches, and often recruited some of the kids they play against. For them it is usually a lot less hate filled, and a lot more connected, than it is for fans.

K is usually a great interview. He is my type of guy... a bit funny, a bit biting, and not afraid to cuss:)

Reactions: Mark Gastineau
No one can disagree with what you said. But you can't dispute that the Dealer (Espn) and the Pit Master (NCAA/Officials) deal Coach K 7 cards and the rest of us 5.
Haha I agree with that, but that is no fault of his own. I think we would like that treatment more times than not if the shoe were on the other foot.

Reactions: gerald3
Coach K is a great coach and is most always very classy and complimentary in defeat. Don't really understand the hate for him other than his team getting a ton of calls to go in Dukes favor.

I agree in a sense. He's always been very complimentary of UK after we've played them. I think he's a classy guy off the court but he's very manipulative on the court. I found myself liking him during that press conference but then I felt he was manipulating me. I hate him!!! o_O

Coach K is one of the best if not the best coach of all time.

He will get the max out of his team so we better do the same.

We will meet again i suspect!

Reactions: Mark Gastineau
well, you just explained the hate for him. you see, he coes across as a gracious, wonderful guy, when in reality he is just as nasty or nastier during the game then most coaches are

What I hate about coach K is he teaches his players how to act like they got fouled. Did you see the one drive by Allen where he took off from the 3 point line drives and he threw his head back twice as to getting hit but you replay it he didn't get touched. Play the game right!!!!!

Reactions: drawing_dead
I don't have much against Coach K other than that he must teach that flopping style (wonder if he ties a string to Grayson Allen's head in practice and pulls it back when he wants him to throw his head like he getting killed while dribbling). What I really can't stand is the double standard applied to him and his program compared to others (coach K and Duke could not have known that taking money in high school was illegal so are not liable, Coach Calipari - strict liability; Coach K get praise for "passing" Calipari in effectiveness in the one-and-done recruiting while Coach Calipari got ridiculed because he was destroying the game).

I agree with you. My son and I talked about this very thing right after the game ended. It seemed he knew their fate and didn't try to change the momentum or flow of the game.

Coach K is one of the best if not the best coach of all time.

He will get the max out of his team so we better do the same.

We will meet again i suspect!
One of, I can agree with that. His winning % isn't in the same universe as Rupp.

Why wouldn't he be gracious? What does he have to gripe about? He gets the constant adoration of The Media. He gets the calls from the refs. He gets the cushy spot from the NCAAT Selection Committee.

Has any ref ever T'd him up... as the spittle hits their faces during one of his tirades? Has a charge/block call ever gone against them at a crucial point in a big game? Has an announcer really ever called them out for their outrageously BS flopping? Honestly, I want to know... because I've never seen it.

Ask yourself, if it'd been dook instead of UK last year, do you think they'd have had those 3 scoreless trips during the span vs. UW... or would the refs have found some reason to blow their whistles, thus bailing them out?

As for last night, Koach Krybabyschitzski knew he wasn't going to win this one, no use in complaining... so, he was just saving his ammo for a possible meeting in March/April.

i actually thought Cal decided to play it too chill in his interview, he didn't even want to say the obvious, that he has exceptional backcourt this year that was the difference in the game. Said he'd have to watch the tape to see who did good in the game and said it was a game just like NJIT - right - the man is a competitive beast, you don't think he wanted to beat rat face in the worst way?

Krzyzewski looked like death warmed over after the game. His face was red as a beat on one side and the skin on the fingers of one hand looked like it had been cooked and falling off the bone. A year from now they will have to prop him up like a scare crow. I'll bet he sleeps in a coffin.

Didn't want to start a new thread and only a slight detour. Ulis and Murray did our athlete post-game presser last night. Who did Duke put on the dais? What were their comments?

Reactions: ukfan79
Having watched a lot of K over the years, you'll see that, early in the year, he does tend to be a little less demonstrative. He has spoken often about how teams are different, and how some teams find the fire within, and other teams need to have the fire brought to them from outside (i.e. him). I get the impression he tends to let earlier teams find their way a little, as a way to see if they are going to be more of a self-motivating team, or more of a motivation-from-without sort of team.

And I think, a lot like any veteran coach, he has been here and done this. I don't think many coaches get THAT fired up over early games, and I think they have better perspective than many fans often do:) Plus, you have to remember... they usually KNOW the other coaches, and often recruited some of the kids they play against. For them it is usually a lot less hate filled, and a lot more connected, than it is for fans.

K is usually a great interview. He is my type of guy... a bit funny, a bit biting, and not afraid to cuss:)

Nice post. Over the years my biggest problem with Coach K has been him dropping too many "F-Bombs" during the game. He does not seem to be as bad now with the "Fs" as he was some time back. He is the master at playing the Refs. (Not a problem if you can get away with it and he does.) My last beef with Coach K is teaching the "Flop."

I've had conversations with one of his Ks former players when K coached at Army. Coach K is a good human being to his former players. When this person's wife passed away a few years ago, Coach wrote him a very touching and personal letter that would bring tears to your eyes. So I can't hate on him, just wish he didn't drop the F-bombs on T.V. and his team didn't flop on the floor.

He (K) teaches other dirty moves besides flopping,watch a replay ,Marcus Lee got pushed from behind into Plumlee on the FT Rebound that fouled him out,then Skal was set up to get fouled out too,although I'm sure most coaches will aim to foul out a good opponent in foul trouble,I doubt many resort to dirty tactics like the set up used on Lee

I read K's lips several times during the game where he cussed like a sailor.When Ulis stole the ball from Plumlee and drove down for a dunk assist,K was F-ing this and F-ing that

speaking of flopping. anyone else see the absurd flop Allen did on his first three pointer? He kicked his legs out trying to draw contact.... no one touched him and he still fell down acting like he was hit. I thought those were technical fouls now

I saw the same thing and thought that was one of the new things that the refs were supposed to be calling this year. Oh well, it was K and Duke.

Tuesday night's game made me come to this realization. He rocketed up my list of favorite non-Duke players to watch after that game.
Now that's rare. We never see fans from other teams like our players, coaches or fans. It's much easier to hate us.

speaking of flopping. anyone else see the absurd flop Allen did on his first three pointer? He kicked his legs out trying to draw contact.... no one touched him and he still fell down acting like he was hit. I thought those were technical fouls now

Hmmm... forgot about that. Wonder how that will work? It should be called the "Dook Rule." Though, the refs will then think it applies to everyone but Dook... like a lot of other things in the NCAA.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT