ADVERTISEMENT

Coach K/DUKE'S Last 10 Seasons

gracetoyou

All-American
Gold Member
Apr 20, 2009
For all of our fans burning with DUKE envy let's be objective & look at their last 10 seasons. One could argue if Bogans didn't have the bad ankle sprain on Tubby's 2003 team & Wade & team had not had played out of their minds in the elite 8 game, UK had a great shot at winning it. If Tubby would've won that year his 10 seasons at UK would've been comparable & borderline better than Coach K's last 10 seasons.

: Sweet 16

2007: 1st round EXIT by Virginia Commonwealth

2008: 2nd round EXIT by W. Virginia (NOTE: barely escaped 1st round vs. Belmont 71-70)

2009: Sweet 16

2010: National Champions
-Defeated Arkansas-Pine Bluff
-Defeated California
-Defeated Purdue
-Defeated Baylor
-Defeated West Virginia
-Defeated Butler in National Championship 61-59

2011: Sweet 16

2012: 1st round EXIT to Lehigh 75-70

2013: Elite 8

2014: 1st round EXIT to Mercer 78-71

2015: National Champions
-Defeated Robert Morris
-San Diego St.
-Utah
-Gonzaga
-Michigan St.
-Wisconsin

So the last 10 seasons:
**4 1st-2nd round exits
**3 Sweet 16 exits
**1 Elite 8
**2 National Championships

**Also must be noted, that the 2 championship years Duke just so happened to have the easiest road to the final 4 of the 4 participants. And also played the weakest team of the final 4 in semi-final both years. That's not to take away from winning it but it is note worthy.

BTW...
JOHN CALIPARI'S 6 SEASONS AT UK
2010 - Elite 8

2011 - Final 4

2012 - NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

2013 - NIT

2014 - FINAL 4, National Runner-up

2015 - FINAL 4

What in the heck is to envy?

Last edited:
For all of our fans burning with DUKE envy let's be objective & look at their last 10 seasons. One could argue if Bogans didn't have the bad ankle sprain on Tubby's 2003 team & Wade & team had not had played out of their minds in the elite 8 game, UK had a great shot at winning it. If Tubby would've won that year his 10 seasons at UK would've been comparable & borderline better than Coach K's last 10 seasons.

: Sweet 16

2006: Sweet 16

2007: 1st round EXIT by Virginia Commonwealth

2008: 2nd round EXIT by W. Virginia (NOTE: barely escaped 1st round vs. Belmont 71-70)

2009: Sweet 16

2010: National Champions
-Defeated Arkansas-Pine Bluff
-Defeated California
-Defeated Purdue
-Defeated Baylor
-Defeated West Virginia
-Defeated Butler in National Championship 61-59

2011: Sweet 16

2012: 1st round EXIT to Lehigh 75-70

2013: Elite 8

2014: 1st round EXIT to Mercer 78-71

2015: National Champions
-Defeated Robert Morris
-San Diego St.
-Utah
-Gonzaga
-Michigan St.
-Wisconsin

So the last 10 seasons:
**4 1st-2nd round exits
**4 Sweet 16 exits
**1 Elite 8
**2 National Championships

**Also must be noted, that the 2 championship years Duke just so happened to have the easiest road to the final 4 of the 4 participants. And also played the weakest team of the final 4 in semi-final both years. That's not to take away from winning it but it is note worthy.

BTW...
JOHN CALIPARI'S 6 SEASONS AT UK
2010 - Elite 8

2011 - Final 4

2012 - NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

2013 - NIT

2014 - FINAL 4, National Runner-up

2015 - FINAL 4

What in the heck is to envy?

PREACH!

We've been the more consistent team and had the better overall past 6 years. But closing the deal is what matters ultimately and they have won 2 to our 1 in one of our best runs in history when we've had the team to win it 4/5 out of 6 years. Id gladly go 1st round, championship , 2nd round, 1st round, championship, Nit, 2nd round, championship. If it meant winning 3 titles in 8 years.

Fact is 1 title in 6 years is outstanding for a normal rate considering we only have 8. But when you look at the whole picture and note that this hasnt been a normal period and we've had the best team by a long shot 3 of those years and a top 4 team another 2 years; we should have at a minimum of 2 titles.

2 titles out of this run would cement how historical it's been. Instead we failed to close on multiple occasions and you leave the door open for discussion.

With that said, I wouldn't trade Cal for anyone and think we have been some bad luck and bad bounces from winning 3+ titles and I truly believe we win 2 more in the next 4 years. It's a matter of time before the injury bug doesn't derail us or we get screwed with attrocious calls or breaks.

Firmly believe we will win 3 in 10 years of Cal

^^^ ultimately all that means is the 1 title isn't indicative of how dominant we've been and that's a little disappointing.

But I think by the time he retires the title statistics line up a little more representative of his tenure.

Yeah man, if only Kentucky had gotten a shot at West Virginia in 2010 it would have been smooth sailing. Oh wait...

It's unbelievable how pathetic you look trying to rationalize why Duke's last 2 national titles aren't legit, when in both years we beat the team that eliminated Kentucky. That is just mind-blowing and hilarious.

Reactions: TruBluCatFan
Yeah man, if only Kentucky had gotten a shot at West Virginia in 2010 it would have been smooth sailing. Oh wait...

It's unbelievable how pathetic you look trying to rationalize why Duke's last 2 national titles aren't legit, when in both years we beat the team that eliminated Kentucky. That is just mind-blowing and hilarious.

Unfortunately, 2 of Duke's last 3 can easily be pointed to ref help. I'll give you 2010, but this year and the Arizona game anyone can tell the whistle helped... A LOT.

You gained 6 points this year from blown calls and won by 5?

And everyone saw Jay Williams 10+ fouls against Arizona that went uncalled. He gets the 4th early in the second half when he ran over Gardner I believe and that game ends differently.

Do you really think the WVU team that showed up in the Elite 8 is the same team from the final 4? You're beyond help. Not to mention Deeker came back to earth in the championship this year. It isn't about one game anyways. Denying Duke played nothin but mid majors until the championship this year is just denying facts but they can only play what's in front of them.

One game comparisons are worthless. We also beat the ACC champs that blew you out and owned you this season. And they were on their A game when they played us. See how much that matters?

alot of folk , ME at the top of the list , are still distraught over losing 4 weeks ago , it clouds my thinking and no , I'm not over it yet . So I post like a pissed off fan , which I still am. Also I'd hope this amount of caring could be applauded instead of ridiculed .

ADVERTISEMENT