ADVERTISEMENT

COA IN SEC, certainly a lot of factors entered into it but the final result is totally as expected

jauk11

All-American
Gold Member
Dec 6, 2006

The Cost of Attendance figures for the 14 Southeastern Conference schools:

1. Tennessee $5,666

2. Auburn $5,586

3. Mississippi St. $5,126

4. Mississippi $4,500

5. South Carolina $4,151

6. Arkansas $4,002

7. Missouri $3,664

8. Florida $3,320

9. Louisiana St. $3,096

10. Alabama $2,892

11. Vanderbilt $2,780

12. Texas A&M $2,706

13. Georgia $2,598

14. Kentucky $2,284

Source: Chronicle of Higher Learning

The Cost of Attendance figures for the 14 Southeastern Conference schools:

1. Tennessee $5,666

2. Auburn $5,586

3. Mississippi St. $5,126

4. Mississippi $4,500

5. South Carolina $4,151

6. Arkansas $4,002

7. Missouri $3,664

8. Florida $3,320

9. Louisiana St. $3,096

10. Alabama $2,892

11. Vanderbilt $2,780

12. Texas A&M $2,706

13. Georgia $2,598

14. Kentucky $2,284

Source: Chronicle of Higher Learning

For what point in time? Didn't bama and ga just increase theirs to $15,000 or so?

I have no idea what this means since the original numbers have proved to be completely inaccurate. Anyone have current numbers or care to explain the relevance of this to an apparently uninformed fan.

Yes......readjusted up. bama is now highest in the conference.

Link? I know Bama adjusted theirs up but still not close to TU's, I don't think anyone is going to catch TU or Auburn, both located in booming metropolises of the south.

Reactions: GhostVol
Auburn and Knoxville are booming metropolises? This thread keeps getting more confusing.

Ok....jauk hates Tennessee with all his might. It keeps him up nights.

Schools are going to begin giving stipends based on a cost of attendance number. There is no rules on what makes up that number. tennessee and auburn were at top, see the first post.Kentucky at bottom in that stipend.

Saban and Richt didn't like where they fell in that range so they recalculated.

Now bama has the highest stipend and uga fell in the middle slightly above uf.

So basically it all means nothing in terms of football. Gotcha

No, not really. If you go to Kentucky as an Atlete as compared to Tennessee, auburn, bama, of top COA schools you will get a bigger stipend. More than double with 5 schools. UK is last in the league.

A small but definite recruiting advantage.

wow...

so I'm supposed to believe that it costs more than TWICE as much to go to/live in Starkville than it does in Lexington? Riiigghhhtt.

Not surprisingly, this opens the doors to become a bidding war among schools to pay players.

I still don't get it. Sorry for my ignorance, whom exactly is getting the stipend and where is it coming from? I didn't think anything was in place yet to pay players and if it were I would expect them all to be paid equally. Outside of that, I have no idea about the stipend.

I still don't get it. Sorry for my ignorance, whom exactly is getting the stipend and where is it coming from? I didn't think anything was in place yet to pay players and if it were I would expect them all to be paid equally. Outside of that, I have no idea about the stipend.

They should get the same but the ncaa doesn't set coa...each school does. A mistake by an inept organization.

In other words, the stars just fell in alignment against UK football once again.. Nuts. Sounds like we better do some "recalculating" since apparently there are no rules at the moment.

The NCAA has been barred from prohibiting schools from paying athletes the difference between the value of their scholarship and the school's TCOA. In turn, many institutions with questionable recruiting processes immediately "recalculated" their TCOAs. UK has been one of the few SEC schools that has not. Basically, we are in a conference with a bunch of maggots.

This is competition. The kids work their butts off for their education. The schools make a fortune from their work and performance. UK needs to bump this up in the middle of the conference at least. The SEC should just make it uniform. I have no interest in bringing up the rear by 50% because it is the "right thing to do".

And Kentucky gets the shit end of the stick again....Just when you think there is hope someone something comes along to chit in your face and shove you back in.

Reactions: jmalone7us
Don't think it matters now. Was reported yesterday that the NCAA won an injunction to hold up on any of these stipends. Doesn't sound like anything will happen anytime soon.

Auburn and Knoxville are booming metropolises? This thread keeps getting more confusing.

Well, guess I did screw up, I should have included Starkville and Louisville in the big cities where most of the population live in penthouses. LOL

And actually you can ask any Transfer U fan (couldn't have two TU's and Thug U had priority), I give them a hard time much more often than I do TU, the things that jurich has done there, and is continuing to do (all fully endorsed it seems) is unbelievable. Actually I only get that wound up about TU when one of their fans comes over and starts spouting really ignorant things------which happens pretty often, it really gets ridiculous when you try to compare TU and Georgia (UK too, but who cares unless we start winning, right?) programs as being in the same universe as far as running a clean program goes.

The amazing thing (NOT) is that UK is at the bottom of the barrel again as far as "buying" players goes.

The thing that should really scare residents of Lexington is the possible influx of citizens of Louisville to Lexington, probably cheaper to live in Lexington and commute to your job in Louisville since only 70 miles or so can halve your cost of living. Yeah, yeah, only one factor in the COA but a big one.

Does that make sense to you? Me neither.

Last edited:
Well, guess I did screw up, I should have included Starkville and Louisville in the big cities where most of the population live in penthouses. LOL

And actually you can ask any Transfer U fan (couldn't have two TU's and Thug U had priority), I give them a hard time much more often than I do TU, the things that jurich has done there, and is continuing to do (all fully endorsed it seems) is unbelievable. Actually I only get that wound up about TU when one of their fans comes over and starts spouting really ignorant things------which happens pretty often, it really gets ridiculous when you try to compare TU and Georgia (UK too, but who cares unless we start winning, right?) programs as being in the same universe as far as running a clean program goes.

The amazing thing (NOT) is that UK is at the bottom of the barrel again as far as "buying" players goes.

The thing that should really scare residents of Lexington is the possible influx of citizens of Louisville to Lexington, probably cheaper to live in Lexington and commute to your job in Louisville since only 70 miles or so can halve your cost of living. Yeah, yeah, only one factor in the COA but a big one.

Does that make sense to you? Me neither.

Nope...this is nearly completely incomprehensible to me.

I am certain that attending Tennessee doesn't cost twice as much as attending Vanderbilt. This situation/decision is corrupting college football even more so.

Reactions: PowellVolz
Don't think it matters now. Was reported yesterday that the NCAA won an injunction to hold up on any of these stipends. Doesn't sound like anything will happen anytime soon.
Saw that. It's based on anti-trust issues, I assume because many of the schools only intend to "pay" football and basketball players (UK has said that it will provide the COA stipend to ALL scholarship athletes).

The Ed O' Bannon injunction is not related to the COA stipends that have already begun with these schools. The EOB case is about awarding current and future players a deferred payment of 5K for the use of their name and likeness while playing sports. Quote from NW Coach, "Northwestern coach Pat Fitzgerald told InsideNU.com that he wouldn’t make any moves with speaking with the school’s athletics director Jim Phillips, but he also said: “I look at, like, the cost of attendance, and the minute we were able to do that, not only are we doing it for football, but we're doing it for all 19 sports, and that's the way that we've always done things,” Fitzgerald said. “So if [the $5,000 in deferred compensation] ends up being what is able to happen, I'm assuming that we'll do whatever it is we can do within the guidelines of the NCAA.”

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ss-9th-circuit-judge-claudia-wilken/30940153/

Reactions: footballfanatic77
So funny and predictable and sad, all at once. Knew this would happen, and posted about it often over the offseason. And everytime I would some moron would always chime in with "OH THIS IS AN ACADEMIC CALCULATION ATHLETICS HAS NO SAY NOR INFLUENCE ON HOW ALL 300 COLLEGES IN THE COUNTRY ARRIVE AT THE COA FIGURE, YOU THINK FOOTBALL WILL INFLUENCE THE NUMBER WHY THAT SHOWS JUST HOW LITTLE YOU KNOW ABOUT THIS SCHOLARLY TOPIC!". Think we all know the chief idiot who claimed that over & over & over again on COA threads. All those top SEC dollar numbers are among the leaders in the nation - along with UL, another win-at-all-cost institution.

Of course the numbers originally listed are subject to change, I even heard for the 1st time last wk that some schools have a different number for instate vs out of state athletes. I'm sure there might be a minute shuffling at the top, but the end results will still be the same. Bottom line that the NCAA did nothing to prevent the out of control football spending arms race injecting itself predictably into this calculation. And only choice UK has is to keep up with the rest of the SEC and UL, who all have no regards for ethics.

Ain't no honor in going into a gun fight with only a knife - noone pats you on the back, you just get a bullet inbetween the eyes.

UK will have to readjust to over $4000 then the other schools will readjust to over $6000 then UK will move to $6000 and they'll just keep raising it til something is done.

$1500 is a whole lot of money to an 18 yo.

Nice post JHB, and the top COA schools were so predictable it wasn't even funny. But then nothing about the cheaters is funny to me.

Nice post JHB, and the top COA schools were so predictable it wasn't even funny. But then nothing about the cheaters is funny to me.
How is it cheating? If anything you should be mad at your own school for not doing what everyone else is under the rules. UK is handicapping itself by not keeping up with the times.

Reactions: footballfanatic77
Kentucky needs to step up to the plate until this ridiculous discrepancy is resolved with better regulation.

Now bama has the highest stipend and uga fell in the middle slightly above uf.

Umm... according to the article you posted above, Tennessee still has the highest and Alabama is third. To quote: "Alabama's out-of-state stipend figure for 2015-16 ranks third among SEC schools based on a CBSSports.com survey; the only SEC schools with higher figures are Tennessee ($5,666) and Auburn ($5,586)."

As a side note, does anyone know how this works for other sports? Are they paying women's basketball players, track athletes, baseball players, basketball players, gymnasts, etc. this same amount?

Umm... according to the article you posted above, Tennessee still has the highest and Alabama is third. To quote: "Alabama's out-of-state stipend figure for 2015-16 ranks third among SEC schools based on a CBSSports.com survey; the only SEC schools with higher figures are Tennessee ($5,666) and Auburn ($5,586)."

As a side note, does anyone know how this works for other sports? Are they paying women's basketball players, track athletes, baseball players, basketball players, gymnasts, etc. this same amount?

I stand corrected. I thought they had jumped to 1.

The full cost of attendance is determined for all students. It's the amount that all athletes can get and it's the amount that all other students can take out in student loans, or receive in other forms of financial aid.

The same amount must be given to all scholarship athletes.

The NCAA has been barred from prohibiting schools from paying athletes the difference between the value of their scholarship and the school's TCOA. In turn, many institutions with questionable recruiting processes immediately "recalculated" their TCOAs. UK has been one of the few SEC schools that has not. Basically, we are in a conference with a bunch of maggots.

They all maybe a bunch of maggots but they will have the best maggot football teams in the conference while Stoops will have another obstacle to climb over to get recruits to come to Kentucky. Does this effect every sport, baseball, basketball, etc?

Wow. Both Mississippi schools are really reaching with that cost of attendance. Pretty sure thats right around average annual income for the state.

Reactions: rudd1
They all maybe a bunch of maggots but they will have the best maggot football teams in the conference while Stoops will have another obstacle to climb over to get recruits to come to Kentucky. Does this effect every sport, baseball, basketball, etc?

Been answered already. Look up ^

How is it cheating? If anything you should be mad at your own school for not doing what everyone else is under the rules. UK is handicapping itself by not keeping up with the times.

LOL, according to TU and Transfer U fans cheating is only cheating if you get caught, isn't that it?

And I am mad as hell, but I had little doubt that it would end up like this, TU from the big city, Transfer U 60 miles away, and Auburn leading the way and UK buried in last place. And of course Bama wasn't going to take this sitting down, too much money involved. Geez, I even believe UK will adjust their COA up, they might even get all the way up to half what UL is claiming.

In order to cheat don't you have to break rules?

And no, you don't have to break the rules to cheat, you just have to bend them like pretzels, not that these three schools don't break a lot of rules, they just have a lot of practice at not getting caught.

And no, you don't have to break the rules to cheat, you just have to bend them like pretzels, not that these three schools don't break a lot of rules, they just have a lot of practice at not getting caught.

You take kids into the basketball program you know will only be on campus 1 or 2 semesters. Their sole purpose is to win and move on and not even a thought of them going to school for an education.

Isn't breaking the rules.....not exactly the ethical high horse you like to ride either.

Reactions: Rich Flair
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT