ADVERTISEMENT

Closer look at the roster next season vs this past season

Rhavicc

All-American
Gold Member
Dec 15, 2014
Some people (Okay, a lot of people) have been wringing hands over the past month, and understandably so, but if you take a closer look at the roster, things really aren't that bad, all things considered. Let's review:

We lost 7 players, but we also went 10 deep (counting Poythress), and had very little drop-off last season. The one area we had visible drop-off was when Johnson came in for Towns, and the other area we statistically had a drop-off (but it was hard to tell on the court at times), was when Aaron Harrison was in, and not Booker.

It's not hard to figure out why we had drop-off there. Aaron was a volume shooter, but couldn't find his stroke until the tournament. Dakari was wildly unathletic, and just didn't have the offensive arsenal to do much, being that he didn't have his size anymore.
Those two are easy replacements, and I mean that in the most objective way. We have already gotten replacements for them, and honestly, we have a more efficient replacement for Booker. Mulder brings everything that Booker brought, and then some. Booker had a knack for hitting open shots, but Mulder can do the same clearly. He's shot more threes than Booker, and hit 5% more of them (Good for 46%). I'll also wager that Mulder has hit his share of contested threes. Booker really didn't take many contested shots though, so I expect that we'll get similar, or better production from the 2 and 3 spots.

It should be incredibly easy for Briscoe to shoot better than Aaron Harrison. I expect Briscoe to give us the same kind of production that we got from Andrew Harrison at the end of the season. Taking good shots, passing it well, but most importantly (and Briscoe has shown this in all of his game), aggressiveness. Andrew's aggressiveness took us a long way last season, I expect the same from Briscoe. The only difference? Briscoe is the significantly better ball handler and passer, which proves useful against teams that apply pressure, where Andrew struggled at times last year, namely @ the crow's nest to the west.

I expect a similar type of production from Poythress that we expected out of WCS. There are things that Poy can do that WCS never could, and vice versa. Poy cannot make himself 4 inches and block shots at the level that WCS could. WCS was never able to fight through contact for a tough rebound, or a tough putback. Never really able to overpower opponents on his way to the basket for dunks on a consistent basis. Both can provide similar perimeter defense, both can steal the ball well, both can make run-down blocks. The only thing is that Poy can provide more on offense, and on defensive rebounding than WCS. I've preached constantly, if we have Poy vs Wisconsin, we would have won, so I have no doubt that we'll win plenty of games with him.

The biggest comparison here; Labissiere vs Towns. Towns ended up being terrific, but let's be honest here. He was soft when he came in. He was soft, and Cal didn't put him on the perimeter because of his size. It'll be a bit different this year. Skal certainly doesn't have Towns' weight. Can top his height, athleticism, shooting ability, but not his weight, which ultimately led to Towns being one of the best post scorers in college basketball last season. I think Labissiere will allow UK to spread the floor more and lead to a better offense than this past season (which would help Ulis out because he wouldn't face many shot blockers if they're out towards the perimeter, and you can't just leave Skal open), so this should be exciting. As far as coming into college, I think we can all agree that Skal is the better player coming in than Towns was, now we just have to see how Skal finishes his college career vs how Towns did. If we can get similar production here, I think all of us would be very, very happy.

Speaking of Ulis in the past paragraph, we all know how terrific of a PG he is. He very well may be the best facilitator in college basketball next season. He has uncanny court vision, passing ability, speed, and ball handling. Many even felt at the end of the year that Ulis should have the starting job, and even more felt that way at the beginning of the year. Andrew did great, but now it's Tyler Ulis' time to shine, and I think all of us believe in him to lead this team.

So to summarize (offensively):

PG. Ulis > Andrew (the point guard has to move the ball. It's what a point guard should do. Ulis is a terrific shooter, so if the opportunity presents itself, he'll take the shot, and make it often, but he will always set our team up for the best possible chance to score).

SG. Briscoe > Aaron (Will be hard to not be the better shooter than Aaron was last season. Plus, it gives us a much better ball handler, and a more aggressive player).

SG/SF. Mulder > Booker/Lyles (Just a much better shooter. He gets in there and is a tough rebounder too on both ends. Real inside/out player that can spread the floor much better for UK on offense, more athletic than any guard that UK had last season, and can make big athletic plays that we thrive off of).

PF. Poythress > WCS (Better offensive player. Similar skillsets, but Poythress is better at utilizing that skillset offensively)

C. Labissiere = Towns (Terrific production from Towns last season. I expect similar offensive production, but in a different way. Labissiere is an outstanding jumpshooter, more-so than Towns. Cal won't tell Labissiere to play like Towns did because of the frame difference, so the floor will definitely be opened up on offense, which leads to more scoring for the rest of the team.

(Now on defense)

PG. Ulis > Andrew (Just like last year, Ulis' perimeter defense is outstanding)

SG. Briscoe > Aaron (Similar athleticism, but Briscoe is a much more physical defender. He gets in there to steal the ball, and when he gets ahold of it, he tears it away. He'll have the same type of issues that Aaron had at times in staying in front of his man)

SG/SF Mulder < Booker/Lyles (Until proven otherwise, this position is what gave a ton of teams issues because a lot of teams at the college level were outsized by 4, 6, sometimes 8 inches here. Tough to overcome defensively)

Poythress < WCS (National defensive player of the year, it's hard to argue. Poythress is a better perimeter defender, but we won't get the kind of defensive efficiency that we got from WCS from Poy, from the inside out)

C. Labissiere > Towns (Towns was a good shot blocker, but got around 2 fouls for every block it seemed. Labissiere rarely fouls from what I've watched. Very good athleticism and body control, and superb timing when it comes to blocking shots. He also plays very good perimeter, and pick and roll defense. This is one of the more highly touted parts of his game, despite having the most diverse offensive skill-set in this class).

Bench:
It won't top this past season's bench, it'll be impossible to do so. That said, your average team, and when I say average, I mean average among other great teams, run with a 7 man rotation. That's what we're going to have with Lee (PF/C) and Matthews (SG/SF) coming off the bench. Willis and Hawkins may be able to make a surge in the offseason to play their way into a lineup, but not for a ton of minutes I imagine. If they get back to playing like they were in the Bahamas this past season, I think we all would be content with their production.

All of this said, I think a lot of the hand wringing, and idiots saying "We may be in the top 20... Maybe....", is incredibly unnecessary. This is a very, very good roster, with a lot of better offensive pieces, and at least translatable defensive pieces. Will it be GOAT defense? No, but it will be tough on the inside, and even tougher on the perimeter, and that's what we're looking for. Not to mention, it will be very quick all over the floor.
We're not going to have a season like last year, but this team can contend for a title, mainly due to a very dynamic backcourt that can make shots, and make plays, with the addition of the top projected player in the draft coming in, who happens to be the #1 player in the class according to Rivals. Teams have won titles with much less. We're in for a good year.

PG: Advantage Ulis. He's just a better PG than Andrew. Better shooter. Better passer. Andrew was the bigger, more physical guy. I'll take Ulis.

SG: Advantage Briscoe. Aaron seriously struggled offensively last season. He wasn't an elite defender at all. Briscoe just looks like a better player to me.

SF: Advantage 2014. If it's Mulder, UK will have three guys that can bury treys on the floor. Lyles was an absolute stud though. Dude would have been the best player in college basketball this coming season, IMO. I think the difference between Mulder/Lyles is substantial. If the SF is Poythress, the edge still goes to '14, but the gap isn't as wide.

PF: Slight edge 2014. WCS vs. Poythress. Alex is a tremendous athlete with a better offensive game than WCS. Cauley-Stein was a guy that kind of changed the game on the defensive end, even though he went missing in action against Wisconsin. Both are freakish athletes.

C: Advantage 2014. I'm not giving anyone an edge over Towns (LOL), but Skal is going to be unbelievable. I mean, we're probably talking about the next two #1 draft picks. I think there will be more pressure on Skal. There's nowhere near as much depth behind him as Towns had, so he'll need to stay out of foul trouble.

Another starting lineup possibility;
1. Ulis
2. Briscoe
3. Poythress
4. Lee
5. Skal

I think that lineup would be better defensively than the one with Mulder. Obviously, you'd have more size and athleticism. Hell, this might be the most likely lineup. Who knows.

GBB!!!

Reactions: EastLansingCat
PG: Advantage Ulis. He's just a better PG than Andrew. Better shooter. Better passer. Andrew was the bigger, more physical guy. I'll take Ulis.

SG: Advantage Briscoe. Aaron seriously struggled offensively last season. He wasn't an elite defender at all. Briscoe just looks like a better player to me.

SF: Advantage 2014. If it's Mulder, UK will have three guys that can bury treys on the floor. Lyles was an absolute stud though. Dude would have been the best player in college basketball this coming season, IMO. I think the difference between Mulder/Lyles is substantial. If the SF is Poythress, the edge still goes to '14, but the gap isn't as wide.

PF: Slight edge 2014. WCS vs. Poythress. Alex is a tremendous athlete with a better offensive game than WCS. Cauley-Stein was a guy that kind of changed the game on the defensive end, even though he went missing in action against Wisconsin. Both are freakish athletes.

C: Advantage 2014. I'm not giving anyone an edge over Towns (LOL), but Skal is going to be unbelievable. I mean, we're probably talking about the next two #1 draft picks. I think there will be more pressure on Skal. There's nowhere near as much depth behind him as Towns had, so he'll need to stay out of foul trouble.

1. Ulis
2. Briscoe
3. Poythress
4. Lee
5. Skal

I think that lineup would be better defensively than the one with Mulder. Obviously, you'd have more size and athleticism. Hell, this might be the most likely lineup. Who knows.

GBB!!!

It's not hard to see Poythress assume the 3, but who knows. You'll have at least 10 people telling you that Poythress is not a 3, but oh well. Mulder and Matthews will be terrific candidates for the 3, and Briscoe made me eat my words, as he's been shooting very well as of late.
There's a lot to be optimistic about for next season's team.

Lol. Poythress has demonstrated for three years that he can't dribble or pass or create his own shot. He's not playing on the wing.

Just silly.

Lol. Poythress has demonstrated for three years that he can't dribble or pass or create his own shot. He's not playing on the wing.

Just silly.

He demonstrated for 2 years, and 7 games actually. Hard for me to think that he hasn't at least worked on it.

Poythress may see minutes at the three but i dont see him starting there. If you start Poythress Lee and Skal you have Willis as the only person with size off the bench. Poy and Skal start in the frontcourt with Lee being the first off the bench for either.

Reactions: UKGrad93
Depth / Options would be the main difference. We were hard to beat because we could play so many ways and had so many match up options to throw at teams. This team will lose AT LEAST twice as many games as last years because if it's not our night, there won't be much we can do.

Depth / Options would be the main difference. We were hard to beat because we could play so many ways and had so many match up options to throw at teams. This team will lose AT LEAST twice as many games as last years because if it's not our night, there won't be much we can do.

Hard to find that insulting being that one of the best teams to ever play at UK lost twice as many games as last year's team,.and won the title lol.
The depth is comparable to 2012, or 2014 UConn, or 2015 Duke, and so on. Really, there's a pattern with the depth of the championship teams over the past few years.

So, seeing how this year's team has superior players, when can we expect the 40-0 talk?

After Big Blue Madness would be my guess. As mentioned before, in case your post is somewhat sarcastic, this team has better overall players imo, but no team for a very long time will match last year's UK team in depth. On a deep team like that, more people can afford to be off, and the team was still able to survive regardless. Next year, if Skal, or Ulis is off, we may be in trouble. At least Ulis has a good backup (Briscoe), in which case, we could put Matthews in at the 2 or 3, put Mulder at the other, and use Poy and Skal at the 4 and 5. Lee could play the 5 in place of Skal in a bad game, but we wouldn't get close to the same king of production, but if Skal is going to keep the #1 spot in the draft, and have hopes of winning the Wooden award next season, he'll rarely have games like that, if he does. With his versatility, it'll be hard for him to have games like that, and still not be productive, much like AD in the championship game for example.

1. Ulis
2. Briscoe
3. Poythress
4. Lee
5. Skal

GBB!!!
No way on planet earth will that be the starting 5, not enough offense in that lineup. Mulder or Matthews will start at the 3. Poythress is a 4 and only played the 3 last year because he was forced into it, like others have said he can't dribble or pass or shoot well enough to be a wing. Lee, the one that doesn't start Mulder/Matthews, Hawk and Willis is the bench.

So the OP listed almost every position on this coming years team as "greater than" every one who played that spot in our recently completed 38-1 season.....and goes on to call those who disagree "idiots..."

Hmmmmm

Reactions: ZaytovenCat
I'm ok with losing twice as many games as last season. That would put us at only 2 losses.

Also, I don't understand how Poy is undersized to play the 4. He is 6-8 or 6-9, 235. That should be plenty of size for a college 4. Maybe a little undersized in the NBA.

I'm excited about Mulder's potential, but I'm not ready to crown him ahead of Booker and Lyles. Really have no clue what he will do.

Honestly, it's a totally different team than last year, and is tough to compare position by position. How do you really compare Ulis to Andrew? Or Poythress to WCS? They might be playing the same positions, technically, but they are apples and oranges as players.

So the OP listed almost every position on this coming years team as "greater than" every one who played that spot in our recently completed 38-1 season.....and goes on to call those who disagree "idiots..."

Hmmmmm

You're 3rex, so I don't expect you to be too smart. You're known around here to be, well.. not smart.
I actually called those who say "We may be a top 20 team.... Maybe" idiots. I did not say anything about anybody who disagrees, just those who think we're a fringe top 20 team next year.
And I listed about half of team as greater than.
Depth is what made that team 38-1, superb quality depth, not phenomenal individual talent. This team has better individual talent than last year's team, in my own, humble opinion.

I'm excited about Mulder's potential, but I'm not ready to crown him ahead of Booker and Lyles. Really have no clue what he will do.

Honestly, it's a totally different team than last year, and is tough to compare position by position. How do you really compare Ulis to Andrew? Or Poythress to WCS? They might be playing the same positions, technically, but they are apples and oranges as players.

Totally understand what you're saying. I think his offensive abilities exceeds Booker's and Lyles' though. Seemingly a better shooter than Booker, and easily the more diverse player, but he doesn't have size on Booker, and especially doesn't have it on Lyles. That said though, I think he can cause many more problems for a defense than either of Booker and Lyles at the college level.
I'm comparing based on production from a position, not players themselves. Cauley-Stein was fantastic at what he did, but he was poor in a lot of other areas. He was only somewhat decent at rebounding, and making athletic plays, which Poythress excels at. I think Poy's combination of offense + defense will be better suited for UK next year than WCS's combo of offense + defense was last year. Thinking things run smoother with Poy at the 4, especially with Ulis running the point at the pace that he does. Gets athletes more involved.
Which brings me to Ulis. This is all a prediction, so it could be wrong, but I think Ulis will be responsible for more points than Andrew was, while making less mistakes. I think the ball movement and the very accurate shooting that Ulis brings to the table will result in a much better offense this upcoming season.

The 2014-15 Cats were a team two years in the making. They went undefeated for the first time in decades. That's amazing! They were definitely the best team last year.. You have to loose one, we just happened to have lost that 39th game.

Sure, it helps to have the best players but.. What's on paper often means nothin.. Next years team may be really good but odd's are, they won't be close to last years historic team.

Because next year is wide open with maybe two or three teams with our talent , we could make a deep run. It's all about matchups..
That's why as fans we keep comin back.. Sometimes it's when you least expect it.. Ala 98 or what almost happened last year. We're gonna win one again soon..

That's disgusting.

The 2014-15 Cats were a team two years in the making. They went undefeated for the first time in decades. That's amazing! They were definitely the best team last year.. You have to loose one, we just happened to have lost that 39th game.

Sure, it helps to have the best players but.. What's on paper often means nothin.. Next years team may be really good but odd's are, they won't be close to last years historic team.

Because next year is wide open with maybe two or three teams with our talent , we could make a deep run. It's all about matchups..
That's why as fans we keep comin back.. Sometimes it's when you least expect it.. Ala 98 or what almost happened last year. We're gonna win one again soon..

Agreed.

No way. Poythress said just last week that he's just now started jogging. Not sure what you mean by "worked" on it. He's still rehabbing.

He didn't say "just now". He was posting videos of him making athletic dunks back in late January on Instagram (probably against his better judgement), which sparked the big debate on whether he could potentially play in the tournament.
If he can do that, he can take jumpshots and work on dribbling.

He didn't say "just now". He was posting videos of him making athletic dunks back in late January on Instagram (probably against his better judgement), which sparked the big debate on whether he could potentially play in the tournament.
If he can do that, he can take jumpshots and work on dribbling.

Sorry I thought the debate was him being able to create and developing the handles to play the three. The type of drills and work needed for that is a lot more than just doing some dribbling and shooting jumpers.

He said he plans to start single leg jump stuff this week which tells me that he's still not ready for lateral movements which means he's unfortunately still very limited when it comes to putting in the type of work to make significant strides in regards to playing the three. Hopefully in wrong.

Sorry I thought the debate was him being able to create and developing the handles to play the three. The type of drills and work needed for that is a lot more than just doing some dribbling and shooting jumpers.

He said he plans to start single leg jump stuff this week which tells me that he's still not ready for lateral movements which means he's unfortunately still very limited when it comes to putting in the type of work to make significant strides in regards to playing the three. Hopefully in wrong.

It's all good, I know it can be tough, especially being limited to not making cuts and stuff (and you're correct, no lateral movements), but at the very least, since February, I think he's had the ability to work on his jumper, alone, and with the stuff, and at least make progress with the ball. That said, I would prefer him to play like a 3 at the 4 unless the match-up permits it at the 3.

There are several great posters in this thread,but to say that we will be better at 3 or 4 positions next year than we were this year c,mon man,we were 38-1 last year.We all wish that was the case but it just isn't .

Reactions: ZaytovenCat
There are several great posters in this thread,but to say that we will be better at 3 or 4 positions next year than we were this year c,mon man,we were 38-1 last year.We all wish that was the case but it just isn't .

Why is it not? You're saying that the players can't be better because the team last year went on a huge run? Not buying it man. You're gonna have a tough time telling me that either of the Harrison twins are better than Briscoe, and stats say that Mulder is the better shooter than Booker.
We have 3 players back from last year's team fwiw, and we all know the great debate that went on saying that Ulis should start over Andrew. Skal (coming in) will be better than Towns (coming in). It's yet to be determined if Skal (coming in) is going to be better than Towns (at the end of the season).

People don't need to have any illusions on why last year's team was 38-1. It's not because we had a few players who are transcendent talents. It's because we had a ton of high quality players.
I just happen to think that next year's team will have players of higher quality as it translates to the college level. We'll talk about how they all translate at the NBA level in a few years.

^^^^ I understand the points you make,but if you consider the total package of Andrew v Tyler(ability to defend,get shots off in the lane,mismatches off screens)then it is a wash at best

Trey v whoever plays the 3 advantage Trey

AP v WCS remains to be seen(if AP is 100% they both run the court well,AP slight advantage on offense,toss up on defense,Ap may be the better rebounder

Skal v KAT probably a standoff there

Briscoe v Aaron advantage Briscoe because it appears he can do more things on the court

Based on what? PPG?

Everyone keeps talking shot's, dribble, points, etc...but our success in reaching 38 wins was largely due to our defense. If Cal can teach two platoons to play scorching defense, I think he can teach this incoming class as well.

We might not reach the NCAA undefeated but I'm not worried about Cal having them prepared for a deep run.

By the way, I have no problem with UNCheats fans posting here, but I think they should all answer a question: Did you, like Rashad McCants, ever make the Dean's List with all As while never attending a class or writing a paper? If so, do you feel that cheapens your degree, not to mention the 2005 banner?

Reminds me, I opened my new box of cereal this morning, and was pouring some cereal in the bowl, and a paper came out. It was actually a UNC-CH Master's degree. I threw the tainted cereal out, and burned the useless degree.
Don't know what's more disappointing. The cereal company trying to give me that nasty piece of paper, or the fact that I haven't eaten breakfast today.

^^^^ I understand the points you make,but if you consider the total package of Andrew v Tyler(ability to defend,get shots off in the lane,mismatches off screens)then it is a wash at best

Trey v whoever plays the 3 advantage Trey

AP v WCS remains to be seen(if AP is 100% they both run the court well,AP slight advantage on offense,toss up on defense,Ap may be the better rebounder

Skal v KAT probably a standoff there

Briscoe v Aaron advantage Briscoe because it appears he can do more things on the court

I can see this. Our biggest difference will be the Andrew vs Ulis match-up. I think Ulis just brings more to the table. Will he score as well as Andrew? Probably not, he'll have some games that would match Andrew's best games though. Ulis gets some better match-ups off of screens as well, against big men. That's basketball.
But I think his combination of defense, his accuracy, passing, decision making, scoring, and the speed that he gets the team to play at while keeping everything moving slowly, it's hard to match that. These articles that say that he very well may be the best pure point guard in college basketball next season are no joke. It's rare to have the play-making ability that he has.

Depth is what made that team 38-1, superb quality depth, not phenomenal individual talent. This team has better individual talent than last year's team, in my own, humble opinion...........

Yeah, I think there's something to this. I made the comment early in the season that although this might end up being Cal's best team at UK, ironically, if you list the best player from each of his 6 teams, whomever you'd list from the 2015 team might be last of the 6. Now, eventually KAT really came on, so I don't know that the notion was still true at the end of the season, but the point remains - that team was really good because it had 9 really good college players, which is relatively unheard of. But it only had one, arguably, great player, and he wasn't great until the season was 3/4 done. How important was that? hard to say

Based on what? PPG?

Everyone keeps talking shot's, dribble, points, etc...but our success in reaching 38 wins was largely due to our defense. If Cal can teach two platoons to play scorching defense, I think he can teach this incoming class as well.

We might not reach the NCAA undefeated but I'm not worried about Cal having them prepared for a deep run.
I agree,defense is what we hung our hat on last year,this won't be a better defensive team than last year

Last edited:
It definitely won't be a better defensive team, but I think it will be a very good one. It'll block a lot of shots (Skal, Poy, and even Matthews/Mulder), it'll steal the ball a lot (All 5 positions have that ability), it will lock down on the perimeter (All 5 positions have that ability), but it won't be quite as aggressive as last year's team on defense in the post.

But my assumption is that the combination of offense and defense will make this team very, very good. A competitor for the title, right out of the gate.

So, seeing how this year's team has superior players, when can we expect the 40-0 talk?

UNC-National-Champions-in-Academic-Fraud-Banner.jpe

Aaron and Andrew were really good on d last season. That will be our team's biggest concern. Can we check every team good enough. I think we have some fire power on offense

Pretty good assessment by the OP except at SF. Booker/Lyles offensively > Mulder.
And I think Mulder will do well.
But you have to keep in mind his 45% at 3 was vs JUCO defenders, he won't shoot that well at UK.
If he shoots 36%+ from 3, I will be happy, 40%+ extremely happy.
As good as Booker was at shooting 3's, I think his mid-range game was better, and despite not being the most athletic player he was the best finisher at the basket I've seen at UK in a long time. And Lyles gave us a very different look (offensively as well as defensively) that many teams simply couldn't defend well.

Some people (Okay, a lot of people) have been wringing hands over the past month, and understandably so, but if you take a closer look at the roster, things really aren't that bad, all things considered. Let's review:

We lost 7 players, but we also went 10 deep (counting Poythress), and had very little drop-off last season. The one area we had visible drop-off was when Johnson came in for Towns, and the other area we statistically had a drop-off (but it was hard to tell on the court at times), was when Aaron Harrison was in, and not Booker.

It's not hard to figure out why we had drop-off there. Aaron was a volume shooter, but couldn't find his stroke until the tournament. Dakari was wildly unathletic, and just didn't have the offensive arsenal to do much, being that he didn't have his size anymore.
Those two are easy replacements, and I mean that in the most objective way. We have already gotten replacements for them, and honestly, we have a more efficient replacement for Booker. Mulder brings everything that Booker brought, and then some. Booker had a knack for hitting open shots, but Mulder can do the same clearly. He's shot more threes than Booker, and hit 5% more of them (Good for 46%). I'll also wager that Mulder has hit his share of contested threes. Booker really didn't take many contested shots though, so I expect that we'll get similar, or better production from the 2 and 3 spots.

It should be incredibly easy for Briscoe to shoot better than Aaron Harrison. I expect Briscoe to give us the same kind of production that we got from Andrew Harrison at the end of the season. Taking good shots, passing it well, but most importantly (and Briscoe has shown this in all of his game), aggressiveness. Andrew's aggressiveness took us a long way last season, I expect the same from Briscoe. The only difference? Briscoe is the significantly better ball handler and passer, which proves useful against teams that apply pressure, where Andrew struggled at times last year, namely @ the crow's nest to the west.

I expect a similar type of production from Poythress that we expected out of WCS. There are things that Poy can do that WCS never could, and vice versa. Poy cannot make himself 4 inches and block shots at the level that WCS could. WCS was never able to fight through contact for a tough rebound, or a tough putback. Never really able to overpower opponents on his way to the basket for dunks on a consistent basis. Both can provide similar perimeter defense, both can steal the ball well, both can make run-down blocks. The only thing is that Poy can provide more on offense, and on defensive rebounding than WCS. I've preached constantly, if we have Poy vs Wisconsin, we would have won, so I have no doubt that we'll win plenty of games with him.

The biggest comparison here; Labissiere vs Towns. Towns ended up being terrific, but let's be honest here. He was soft when he came in. He was soft, and Cal didn't put him on the perimeter because of his size. It'll be a bit different this year. Skal certainly doesn't have Towns' weight. Can top his height, athleticism, shooting ability, but not his weight, which ultimately led to Towns being one of the best post scorers in college basketball last season. I think Labissiere will allow UK to spread the floor more and lead to a better offense than this past season (which would help Ulis out because he wouldn't face many shot blockers if they're out towards the perimeter, and you can't just leave Skal open), so this should be exciting. As far as coming into college, I think we can all agree that Skal is the better player coming in than Towns was, now we just have to see how Skal finishes his college career vs how Towns did. If we can get similar production here, I think all of us would be very, very happy.

Speaking of Ulis in the past paragraph, we all know how terrific of a PG he is. He very well may be the best facilitator in college basketball next season. He has uncanny court vision, passing ability, speed, and ball handling. Many even felt at the end of the year that Ulis should have the starting job, and even more felt that way at the beginning of the year. Andrew did great, but now it's Tyler Ulis' time to shine, and I think all of us believe in him to lead this team.

So to summarize (offensively):

PG. Ulis > Andrew (the point guard has to move the ball. It's what a point guard should do. Ulis is a terrific shooter, so if the opportunity presents itself, he'll take the shot, and make it often, but he will always set our team up for the best possible chance to score).

SG. Briscoe > Aaron (Will be hard to not be the better shooter than Aaron was last season. Plus, it gives us a much better ball handler, and a more aggressive player).

SG/SF. Mulder > Booker/Lyles (Just a much better shooter. He gets in there and is a tough rebounder too on both ends. Real inside/out player that can spread the floor much better for UK on offense, more athletic than any guard that UK had last season, and can make big athletic plays that we thrive off of).

PF. Poythress > WCS (Better offensive player. Similar skillsets, but Poythress is better at utilizing that skillset offensively)

C. Labissiere = Towns (Terrific production from Towns last season. I expect similar offensive production, but in a different way. Labissiere is an outstanding jumpshooter, more-so than Towns. Cal won't tell Labissiere to play like Towns did because of the frame difference, so the floor will definitely be opened up on offense, which leads to more scoring for the rest of the team.

(Now on defense)

PG. Ulis > Andrew (Just like last year, Ulis' perimeter defense is outstanding)

SG. Briscoe > Aaron (Similar athleticism, but Briscoe is a much more physical defender. He gets in there to steal the ball, and when he gets ahold of it, he tears it away. He'll have the same type of issues that Aaron had at times in staying in front of his man)

SG/SF Mulder < Booker/Lyles (Until proven otherwise, this position is what gave a ton of teams issues because a lot of teams at the college level were outsized by 4, 6, sometimes 8 inches here. Tough to overcome defensively)

Poythress < WCS (National defensive player of the year, it's hard to argue. Poythress is a better perimeter defender, but we won't get the kind of defensive efficiency that we got from WCS from Poy, from the inside out)

C. Labissiere > Towns (Towns was a good shot blocker, but got around 2 fouls for every block it seemed. Labissiere rarely fouls from what I've watched. Very good athleticism and body control, and superb timing when it comes to blocking shots. He also plays very good perimeter, and pick and roll defense. This is one of the more highly touted parts of his game, despite having the most diverse offensive skill-set in this class).

Bench:
It won't top this past season's bench, it'll be impossible to do so. That said, your average team, and when I say average, I mean average among other great teams, run with a 7 man rotation. That's what we're going to have with Lee (PF/C) and Matthews (SG/SF) coming off the bench. Willis and Hawkins may be able to make a surge in the offseason to play their way into a lineup, but not for a ton of minutes I imagine. If they get back to playing like they were in the Bahamas this past season, I think we all would be content with their production.

All of this said, I think a lot of the hand wringing, and idiots saying "We may be in the top 20... Maybe....", is incredibly unnecessary. This is a very, very good roster, with a lot of better offensive pieces, and at least translatable defensive pieces. Will it be GOAT defense? No, but it will be tough on the inside, and even tougher on the perimeter, and that's what we're looking for. Not to mention, it will be very quick all over the floor.
We're not going to have a season like last year, but this team can contend for a title, mainly due to a very dynamic backcourt that can make shots, and make plays, with the addition of the top projected player in the draft coming in, who happens to be the #1 player in the class according to Rivals. Teams have won titles with much less. We're in for a good year.

Someone's been drinking too much blue Kool aid.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT