ADVERTISEMENT

Cliff Alexander admits his family took money

thanks for the correction. I knew there was something in the loan that was more than just a loan but couldn't quite remember. I found this:

Latillia Alexander, his mother, filed a Uniform Commercial Code in the state of Illinois to a finance company that specializes in loans to professional agents and athletes on August 25, 2014.
Yes. Ludus Capital is the name of the company: http://www.luduscapital.com/what-we-do/

Yes. Ludus Capital is the name of the company: http://www.luduscapital.com/what-we-do/
The link you gave says the company gives loans to pre-NBA players who are consensus first or early second round draft picks. It is a violation for players to get loans based on future earnings and Alexander would have been ineligible from the time he got the loan and Kansas should be required to forfeit any games Alexander played after the date of the loan.

If you want a laugh head over to Kansas board and listen to some of them. "we didn't do anything wrong as a university and Cliff is a victim as well." After stating this almost all of them end their statements with "Cliff should just shut his mouth, or it would serve Kansas best if he keeps his mouth shut." If he is a victim, or if Kansas can't or shouldn't be held liable for any of this, then why do so many over there insist on him keeping his mouth shut?

When will Kansas learn that money for players goes in a FedEx package and not through a loan company. Amateurs.

Lol, Says the guy whose team hasn't quit cheating since, well, since ever. I wish I could find that article that describes the timeline of criminal events that have happened since Bill Self has been there. It looks like something out of the Godfather or Al Capone days. Sure we are amateurs, we don't have this cheating thing down to a science like you guys do. Ya'll have molested every possible scenario to find creative ways to cheat. Pump Brothers, Bill Self paying handlers, graduation money gifts, changed grades and fake classes (just not at the level of UNC). Technically, Kansas is just like a Mexican Drug Cartel, except without the murder.

I bet when Bill wakes up his first thought of the day is "How can I cheat today"

I paying Kentucky a compliment and calling Kansas Amateurs...sure once in a while a FedEx package will implode with 100's raining down on FedEx employees but that is one out of 1000 or 2000 times. Billy could learn so much from his friend.

Son, you're fighting a losing battle here. The gigs up. Everyone knows that you all the most consistent cheaters in Sports history. And that's saying a lot considering the sports that have happened over the course of the last several thousands years. Sucks to be ya'll, the media attention KU gets is when your program effs up again. and again. and again.

Sucks to be ya'll. Constant negative media attention with a criminal head coach. Ouch.

The link you gave says the company gives loans to pre-NBA players who are consensus first or early second round draft picks. It is a violation for players to get loans based on future earnings and Alexander would have been ineligible from the time he got the loan and Kansas should be required to forfeit any games Alexander played after the date of the loan.

Meh, we'll see if your opinion of what the violation was and what the penalty is for it matches up with what the ncaa sees it as. Not worried about it at all at this point.

Meh, we'll see if your opinion of what the violation was and what the penalty is for it matches up with what the ncaa sees it as. Not worried about it at all at this point.
Of course the violation is huge. A player's family taking 10s of thousands of dollars and putting it in their pocket. This is a serious violation and Kansas fans know it. This is why all of you idiots are saying, "I hope Cliff keeps his mouth shut." If you weren't scared or really thought the ncaa couldn't do anything then you wouldn't be begging for silence. If this is a minor infraction I hope Cliff just comes out and says "yeah we took some money, what can the ncaa do about it?" If he were to make a statement like that would you still be confident? The answer is no, the only reason you are confident is the lack of cooperation, not the severity of the offense.

Of course the violation is huge. A player's family taking 10s of thousands of dollars and putting it in their pocket. This is a serious violation and Kansas fans know it. This is why all of you idiots are saying, "I hope Cliff keeps his mouth shut." If you weren't scared or really thought the ncaa couldn't do anything then you wouldn't be begging for silence. If this is a minor infraction I hope Cliff just comes out and says "yeah we took some money, what can the ncaa do about it?" If he were to make a statement like that would you still be confident? The answer is no, the only reason you are confident is the lack of cooperation, not the severity of the offense.

The only reason I have any issue with Cliff making comments on the topic is that he is stupid and will eventually say something that isn't accurate that will cause more problems and hassle. And the family didn't just "take 10s of thousands of dollars" and put it in their pocket. For one, I have not heard how money money was involved and besides, this is a loan that they will have to pay back with most likely a pretty significant interest rate. This COSTS them money in the long run.

You're right, you're right. All those victories and Final Four appearances at prior schools that Self had to vacate. Almost 50 victories that he can't count toward his overall record. Those years at UMass and Memphis State were disastrous for Billy! Hard to imagine why a Blue Blood School would be so hard-up to employ a coach with that type of past. Makes you wonder...
You are only proving our point for us. Cal and the schools had nothing to do with these examples you give, however the schools were penalized any way. If we use your logic I guess Kansas and Bill should be getting ready to vacate games.

You're right, you're right. All those victories and Final Four appearances at prior schools that Self had to vacate. Almost 50 victories that he can't count toward his overall record. Those years at UMass and Memphis State were disastrous for Billy! Hard to imagine why a Blue Blood School would be so hard-up to employ a coach with that type of past. Makes you wonder...
Self seemed to be a pretty honest coach before arriving at Kansas but this makes the second violation since he's been there, not counting Darrell Arthur and Ben McLemore.
Was Self always a cheater who just didn't get caught before coming to Kansas or did he start cheating after he got there because he knew cheating was not only condoned but encouraged by KU? You're right, it makes you wonder.

So wait. I see what you are doing here. You think that Cliff's case like Camby's case. Ahhh. Ok. First off. Cal turned Camby in. Who the eff does that rcj? "Hello, mr. policeman, I got 3 bags of cocaine in my pants. oh, and a gun too" You're an idiot rcj.

Here's from CBS article "The NCAA has alerted us to an issue that could affect Cliff's eligibility," Kansas athletic director Sheahon Zenger said in a statement. "As a precautionary measure Cliff will not take the court until we have resolved the issue. "Coach Bill Self said, "We are committed to NCAA rules compliance and we want to make sure that we take every precaution to minimize the impact on Cliff."

Cal turned Camby in, Self directed Alexander to the loan company. Just a damn buffon. No wonder when you Kansas people talk to me, I find the quickest way out of the conversation. Like talking to room of jacktards

Rivals should be thankful for the point shaving scandal of the 50's , UK players took money from external sources to limit how much they were going to kick college basketballs ass . You say it like it's a bad thing or that UK itself had anything to do with it , I can guarantee you that Rupp nor UK benefitted from that in any way . The only beneficiaries were a few greedy UK players and the schools they were going to steamroll anyway . If it doesn't help the school win games or get recruits then where is the advantage ? Least we not forget that this was not a UK scandal but a scandal involving other schools as well that never get mentioned . UK fans and coaches were cheated by that scandal more than rivals .

Reactions: saxonburgcat
Lol, Says the guy whose team hasn't quit cheating since, well, since ever. I wish I could find that article that describes the timeline of criminal events that have happened since Bill Self has been there. It looks like something out of the Godfather or Al Capone days. Sure we are amateurs, we don't have this cheating thing down to a science like you guys do. Ya'll have molested every possible scenario to find creative ways to cheat. Pump Brothers, Bill Self paying handlers, graduation money gifts, changed grades and fake classes (just not at the level of UNC). Technically, Kansas is just like a Mexican Drug Cartel, except without the murder.

I bet when Bill wakes up his first thought of the day is "How can I cheat today"
There's a pretty detailed timeline here.

Scroll down to about the 10th comment.

Reactions: ib4ky and Willy4UK
There's a pretty detailed timeline here.

Scroll down to about the 10th comment.

Man, I'll be honest. I'm too lazy. But, Dwayne, we both know that article exists with me having to look it up. EDIT: hahaha man, I'm high. You did post that article. Hi-Five man. Wooo!

For the record, Kiimo supports razors in Halloween candy.

I'm not eager to hang any program. I was actually using sarcasm because nothing will become of it, if it was UK this would be national news and talk of the death penalty.

Besides what happened to UMass when Camby took gifts from an agent? I don't think that UMass was behind that but didn't stop the NCAA from dropping the hammer.
Also hasn't stopped much of the sports works calling Calipari a cheat because of it. Will be waiting for much of the sports world now calling Self a cheat.

I'm sorry, but why do you think "probation is in order"? The money didn't come from anyone connected to Kansas, and Kansas suspended him as soon as they learned about it.

I swear some of you guys are so eager to hang other programs that you don't bother to even read the actual facts on these things. There might be some basis for the NCAA vacating the games Alexander played in, since technically he probably should've been ineligible, but I don't see any basis here for punishing KU beyond that.

^^ This.

It was pretty much that and they said Eric Manuel cheated on his tests. Their proof was his test score went up considerably from the last time he took it.

What's funny is that mine went up more than his did the 2nd time I took mine. I stayed up the night before partying and never slept. I kept dozing off during most of the test taking time. I even put the reading answers where the math was supposed to be etc. I think mine went from a 11 to a 27

Eric did what they said he did. I knew someone who took the test that day in the same room. Eric had identical answers as the kid next to him on several pages. The kid next to him was a brain and they sat Eric next to him for that purpose.

In getting around Prop 48, we weren't in the minority at that time. it was pretty much par for the course in the SEC, Big East, and some schools in the ACC and Big 10 and Pac 10.

Where are you NCAA ? Money exchanging at Kansas just like Massachusetts, time to stop showing
double standers.

Last edited:
Eric did what they said he did. I knew someone who took the test that day in the same room. Eric had identical answers as the kid next to him on several pages. The kid next to him was a brain and they sat Eric next to him for that purpose.
Uh, if the kid was a "brain" and Eric supposedly matched 211 of 219 answers. Eric scored a 23. Not much of a "brain". A 23 was a very average score back then. Not sure how they score now.

In getting around Prop 48, we weren't in the minority at that time. it was pretty much par for the course in the SEC, Big East, and some schools in the ACC and Big 10 and Pac 10.

Oops
My reply above was that if a "brain" was planted beside Eric, and he only got a 23 (matched 211 of 219 answers). Not much of a "brain". A 23 was very just above average back then.

Oops
My reply above was that if a "brain" was planted beside Eric, and he only got a 23 (matched 211 of 219 answers). Not much of a "brain". A 23 was very just above average back then.

He copied down a couple of pages. Probably had a test that got red flagged because the first two pages had no incorrect answers and then the last ones were almost all wrong. There's cheating, and then there's dumb cheating. I once got in trouble in high school because I put Fred Flintstone down as an answer, just to be a smart ass, and the dumbass next to me copied it down.

Kansas. The only program in history to win a title the year before and coming off of a probation. Without hyperbole it really is the biggest basketball cheaters in the sport. Auburn takes football. Add those two schools together you have one big mess.

He copied down a couple of pages. Probably had a test that got red flagged because the first two pages had no incorrect answers and then the last ones were almost all wrong. There's cheating, and then there's dumb cheating. I once got in trouble in high school because I put Fred Flintstone down as an answer, just to be a smart ass, and the dumbass next to me copied it down.
I am not doubting cheating happened...but like you said, it wasn't smart cheating.
I got flagged, because my score increased so much...I jumped 10 points from junior year taking the test to early senior year

Kansas. The only program in history to win a title the year before and coming off of a probation. Without hyperbole it really is the biggest basketball cheaters in the sport. Auburn takes football. Add those two schools together you have one big mess.

I'd say the biggest cheaters of all time in basketball were the Sam Gilbert UCLA teams. They got the double benefit of players getting stuff on the side and Wooden getting calls on the court because of his image/reputation. In football, it begins and ends with SMU. Did you ever see that 30 for 30?

I'd say the biggest cheaters of all time in basketball were the Sam Gilbert UCLA teams. They got the double benefit of players getting stuff on the side and Wooden getting calls on the court because of his image/reputation. In football, it begins and ends with SMU. Did you ever see that 30 for 30?

Yea, that's probably right. I guess I put Kansas as the "worst offenders" top spot because of the way they seem to get a pass from lots of fans and media. I think the reason for that is simple enough. They haven't Had enough success for most people to have a natural hatred. For a die hard fan of a blue blood like myself, sure, they've won enough for me to hate them. For a conference basketball school in the big12, I'm sure they naturally hate them. But on that top level; Yankees or Cards, Alabama football (older Norte dame days, the Patriots, Kentucky basketball or older UCLA days - on that level? No.

And that's where the real hatred comes from. That's why most common fans actually and know about UK and our indiscretions. That's why people who don't even follow baseball closely know enough to tell you they think the Yankees are buying their wins. UCLA even fits that mold through a huge span of NCAA basketball. Who doesn't know about Sam Gilbert? 10 titles, hatred.

Kansas in lots of ways has as much success due to cheating as anyone that's ever played, including UCLA teams. People just don't follow second tier programs as closely anymore like they used to so Kansas gets a pass. It's all about tier one and what tier one is doing. I believe someone in this post even said "Kansas has cheated almost as bad as UK". That's a UK fan. It's simply a lie. Kansas has been THE consistent Cheater going back to knee pads.

Last edited:
I'd say Kansas is a tier one program. Kansas doesn't get the scrutiny because they don't have the consistent national success. If you ask fans of Texas, Iowa State and Missouri basketball, I'm sure those fans will tell you all about Kansas' indiscretions. They're tired of watching the Jayhawks win that conference every year.

But the basketball hotbeds are LA, Kentucky-Indiana-Ohio, Tobacco Road and the northeast. No one cares about Kansas in any of those places because Kansas isn't a threat to them.

Before the State of Alabama's Board of Education issued a report confirming that Eric Bledsoe met all academic requirements to graduate, there were plenty of reports that if he got a grade changed to graduate -- even if he didn't know about it -- that Kentucky's entire 2010 season was in jeopardy because he'd have been ineligible (think about that, and compare it to the entire 2004-2005 UNC basketball team kept eligible by phony classes where grades were fixed in collusion with people working in the AD office.)

To put that in Cliff Alexander terms, he wouldn't have had to know about anything, nor would his mother have had to explicitly know she was breaking an NCAA rule. The act of taking the improper benefit would seal his fate.

There is no excuse for a mother or player not knowing that receiving improper benefits would make him ineligible to play. The family's are well informed of the rules by NCAA when family member is being recruited. If the group from Birmingham that investigated the Bledsoe case had found the missing grade books its very likely that UK would have some games vacated. The commission found a lot of irregularities where grades were changed and night classes were offered Bledsoe so he could makeup some grades. The grades could not be found It is Alabama law that schools keep students grades for 4 years That was not done.

All these cases, Alexander, Bledsoe, Rose are similar. They all had the same excuse, they didn't know . It may have been they didn't know, but it was because they didn't want to know.

I was just reading the salaries that these players are making, and soon will be paid sum of money while attending school. They will soon be getting everything free and being paid above that.
Coaches are making 8 million + per year, the players will be getting paid and we wonder why there is so much cheating going on. Ticket prices going up. Folks, its us the fans that are being taken to the cleaners.

There is nothing wrong with making millions if they do their job, but do they have to make it all in 2 years or less. lol.

Just think back, say around the turn of the century, did you think you would be reading threads on here about how many billions UK players was about to make in NBA and that a big % of all threads were about the NBA. Most of the rhetoric that goes on in NBA is " I want to leave this team or can certain players get along with rest of team or the coach."
jmho

I'd say Kansas is a tier one program. Kansas doesn't get the scrutiny because they don't have the consistent national success. If you ask fans of Texas, Iowa State and Missouri basketball, I'm sure those fans will tell you all about Kansas' indiscretions. They're tired of watching the Jayhawks win that conference every year.

But the basketball hotbeds are LA, Kentucky-Indiana-Ohio, Tobacco Road and the northeast. No one cares about Kansas in any of those places because Kansas isn't a threat to them.

I think historically looking back it's a borderline blue blood. Take away some really early years and historical significance their early coaches possessed, and it's probably not a blue blood. I think Kansas is historically a great program, I'm just not sure I'd put them at top shelf with some of the others. The just don't have the punch of some others and when you take into consideration teams like Uconn now have more championships, it makes it a tougher conclusion.

Current tier one program as far as recruiting and such? Sure.

I think historically looking back it's a borderline blue blood. Take away some really early years and historical significance their early coaches possessed, and it's probably not a blue blood. I think Kansas is historically a great program, I'm just not sure I'd put them at top shelf with some of the others. The just don't have the punch of some others and when you take into consideration teams like Uconn now have more championships, it makes it a tougher conclusion.

Current tier one program as far as recruiting and such? Sure.

They ARE second only to us in all time wins, and have been in the top three with us and Carolina for a long, long time. I mean, they're clearly a step below when you talk about titles and Final Fours, but in all other categories they're top three.

There is no excuse for a mother or player not knowing that receiving improper benefits would make him ineligible to play. The family's are well informed of the rules by NCAA when family member is being recruited.

It isn't just the NCAA who tells them what they can and cannot receive, the program he signs with is responsible by NCAA rule to explain the rules thoroughly to the players and their families. This is the reason I never understood the Maggette case in which the NCAA said that Maggette didn't know and should not have known that taking money threatened his eligibility.

This is the reason I never understood the Maggette case in which the NCAA said that Maggette didn't know and should not have known that taking money threatened his eligibility.
The NCAA should have just have admitted they loved Duke and were willing to ignore their own rules to avoid punishing them. Nobody believed their lame excuse.

What does is matter, the NCAA vacated Memphis' season based on "strict liability" - basically saying it didn't matter if Memphis and/or Cal knew or not, that they were to suffer because they played a retro-actively ineligible player.

So, on precedent, any game Alexander played in, should be vacated.

I'm sorry, but why do you think "probation is in order"? The money didn't come from anyone connected to Kansas, and Kansas suspended him as soon as they learned about it.

I swear some of you guys are so eager to hang other programs that you don't bother to even read the actual facts on these things. There might be some basis for the NCAA vacating the games Alexander played in, since technically he probably should've been ineligible, but I don't see any basis here for punishing KU beyond that.

This is just a question to your post so why did UMass get penalized when Camby took money from an agent? It seems apples and oranges to me but someone out there may know the answer to this.

Last edited:
The correct answer to all of this is "who the hell knows what the NCAA is going to do?"

This is just a question to your post so why did UMass get penalized when Camby took money from an agent? It seems apples and oranges to me but someone out there may know the answer to this.

The NCAA make there rules as they go according for what teams. They closed there eyes on Duke twice know here is North Carolina & Kansas will they do the same?

ADVERTISEMENT