ADVERTISEMENT

Cliff Alexander admits his family took money

nookam

Sophomore
Mar 4, 2012
Former Kansas forward Cliff Alexander has shed some light on the NCAA investigation that derailed his freshman season.

In an interview this week with 120Sports.com, Alexander his mother, Latillia Alexander, “got tricked into something” when she received impermissible benefits that could have compromised Alexander’s amateur status. When the NCAA opened an investigation into the issue in February, Kansas decided to sideline Alexander, a 6-foot-8 forward from Chicago. He never played for Kansas again and opted to enter the NBA Draft after a tumultuous season.

“My mom got tricked into something she didn’t know what she was doing,” Alexander said, “and we needed money at the time.”

The investigation, in part, reportedly centered on a Florida-based financial firm that offers loans for professional athletes.

Alexander said the NCAA issue has come up during interviews with NBA teams during the predraft process. For now, Alexander is working out in Chicago in preparation for the NBA Draft.

“They just basically want to know what happened, and that’s mainly it,” Alexander said of NBA teams. “They just want to know what really happened.”

Alexander also said he was thinking about staying at Kansas for another season, but the NCAA investigation made the decision easier.

“I was thinking about staying,” Alexander said. “Then when the incident went down, I felt like I was going to be ineligible for my sophomore season. So I made the choice to leave.”

In early April, when Alexander announced his decision to enter the NBA, Kansas coach Bill Self called Alexander’s college experience a “very interesting and educational year.”

“He worked his way into the starting lineup and has had to deal with an off-the-court issue with the NCAA that made him ineligible for the last eight games of our season,” Self said in a release. “We all feel bad for Cliff for what he and our team had to go through, because it was difficult for him to sit and watch his teammates play without him.

“During his time here, Cliff certainly got better. I loved coaching Cliff, but we support his decision 100 percent to move on and take his ability to the next level.”

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/sports/co...-of-kansas/article21682113.html#storylink=cpy

Where is the NCAA? 28 games he played in should be VACATED! Don't let this die, contact the NCAA! No Big 12 title for Bill Self he he plays by the rules!

Reactions: Uk1111
Former Kansas forward Cliff Alexander has shed some light on the NCAA investigation that derailed his freshman season.

In an interview this week with 120Sports.com, Alexander his mother, Latillia Alexander, “got tricked into something” when she received impermissible benefits that could have compromised Alexander’s amateur status. When the NCAA opened an investigation into the issue in February, Kansas decided to sideline Alexander, a 6-foot-8 forward from Chicago. He never played for Kansas again and opted to enter the NBA Draft after a tumultuous season.

“My mom got tricked into something she didn’t know what she was doing,” Alexander said, “and we needed money at the time.”

The investigation, in part, reportedly centered on a Florida-based financial firm that offers loans for professional athletes.

Alexander said the NCAA issue has come up during interviews with NBA teams during the predraft process. For now, Alexander is working out in Chicago in preparation for the NBA Draft.

“They just basically want to know what happened, and that’s mainly it,” Alexander said of NBA teams. “They just want to know what really happened.”

Alexander also said he was thinking about staying at Kansas for another season, but the NCAA investigation made the decision easier.

“I was thinking about staying,” Alexander said. “Then when the incident went down, I felt like I was going to be ineligible for my sophomore season. So I made the choice to leave.”

In early April, when Alexander announced his decision to enter the NBA, Kansas coach Bill Self called Alexander’s college experience a “very interesting and educational year.”

“He worked his way into the starting lineup and has had to deal with an off-the-court issue with the NCAA that made him ineligible for the last eight games of our season,” Self said in a release. “We all feel bad for Cliff for what he and our team had to go through, because it was difficult for him to sit and watch his teammates play without him.

“During his time here, Cliff certainly got better. I loved coaching Cliff, but we support his decision 100 percent to move on and take his ability to the next level.”

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/sports/co...-of-kansas/article21682113.html#storylink=cpy

Where is the NCAA? 28 games he played in should be VACATED! Don't let this die, contact the NCAA! No Big 12 title for Bill Self he he plays by the rules!

But that would assume that KU and self knew; how could they, or should they, have known? That would be Strict Liability, and we all know that the NCAA only applies that to "certain" programs not named Duke, or UNC.

I've been arguing why, according to the NCAA's rules at the time, Maggette and Duke should not have been punished -- it boiled down to being able to prove Maggette knew he was ineligible. If the rules are still the same and Cliff acknowledged he knew it was wrong (ie, he knew he would be ruled ineligible) then it doesn't matter if KU should've known, they'll get hit. However, it must be mentioned, saying he took money or that he knew his mom was getting money is NOT the same as admitting he knew he was ineligible. Of course, the rules have probably changed since the Myron Piggie scandal.

Ruh roh looks like games will be forfeited and some probation is in order.
Those cheaters!!!

Not a Kansas supporter by any stretch of the imagination but this is a stupid rule. When LeBron James was a senior in high school his mother did a similar thing. She took a loan out based on his future earnings and bought him a Hummer (among other things for the family). He didn't have to worry about it but Alexander does because he decided to play in the NCAA. I just don't understand how this truly effects the "amateurism" of a player.

Those cheaters!!!
That's a good one.

633.gif

Could be because LeBron went straight to the NBA, not even a comparison. Cliff's family took money, how dumb would he have to be to not notice a change in living circumstances with a family of 7 kids living in poverty. Also, I think Cliff signed agreement as well, he was 18 last August and as a parent you can't do squat without their blessing.

Yeah, would be great to keep this thread on topic and just on Alexander and KU. Won't happen though, never does on here.

Not a Kansas supporter by any stretch of the imagination but this is a stupid rule. When LeBron James was a senior in high school his mother did a similar thing. She took a loan out based on his future earnings and bought him a Hummer (among other things for the family). He didn't have to worry about it but Alexander does because he decided to play in the NCAA. I just don't understand how this truly effects the "amateurism" of a player.

Well, for starters, allowing payments to recruits/college players would open up a bidding war where kids would take money for whoever paid the most. Is that what you really want to see in college athletics? If so, then just start a new pro league for "club" teams with little or no association with colleges.

Hmmm... Diallo may be playing next year without having to worry about the pressure of a good NCAA Tournament performance.

Those cheaters!!!

I'm sorry, but why do you think "probation is in order"? The money didn't come from anyone connected to Kansas, and Kansas suspended him as soon as they learned about it.

I swear some of you guys are so eager to hang other programs that you don't bother to even read the actual facts on these things. There might be some basis for the NCAA vacating the games Alexander played in, since technically he probably should've been ineligible, but I don't see any basis here for punishing KU beyond that.

Last edited:
Before the State of Alabama's Board of Education issued a report confirming that Eric Bledsoe met all academic requirements to graduate, there were plenty of reports that if he got a grade changed to graduate -- even if he didn't know about it -- that Kentucky's entire 2010 season was in jeopardy because he'd have been ineligible (think about that, and compare it to the entire 2004-2005 UNC basketball team kept eligible by phony classes where grades were fixed in collusion with people working in the AD office.)

To put that in Cliff Alexander terms, he wouldn't have had to know about anything, nor would his mother have had to explicitly know she was breaking an NCAA rule. The act of taking the improper benefit would seal his fate.

We've discussed this ad nauseam, these cases are nowhere near each other. Check out the last thread about Alexander.

Well, for starters, allowing payments to recruits/college players would open up a bidding war where kids would take money for whoever paid the most. Is that what you really want to see in college athletics? If so, then just start a new pro league for "club" teams with little or no association with colleges.

Ok let's break this down......

1. The payment didn't come from Kansas based upon the knowledge we have so far.
2. Since the payment did not come from Kansas how does this open up "a bidding war"?
3. Even if it opened up a bidding war it would likely have little effect on the player's college choice.
4. College teams in the power 5 conferences can now offer players up to 3000 (give or take) dollars a semester for "cost of living". The scale is based on actually cost of living where the school is located.
5. Because this scale fluctuates it gives some schools the ability to offer more money to a prospective student-athlete.

Like I said the rule is stupid. After this past season, power 5 institutions will begin the real bidding wars....for all of their sports. Should we just do away with college athletics then?

IF IF IF IF she were "tricked" and Cliff was unaware of it costing him his eligibility, then the family should sue for whatever the legal term is for that. Let it come out in court!

If Cliff is lying, then vacate games.

There will be nothing to see here, but Take a look at this: I just wonder if all of our kansas fans can admit what their boards would look like if this were that article:
  1. Former Kentucky forward Karl Anthony Towns has shed some light on the NCAA investigation that derailed his freshman season.

In this fake made-up interview this week with 120Sports.com, Towns said his mother, ms. T, “got tricked into something” when she received impermissible benefits that could have compromised Towns amateur status. When the NCAA opened an investigation into the issue in February, Kentucky decided to sideline Towns, a 7 foot forward from Chicago. He never played for Kentucky again and opted to enter the NBA Draft after a tumultuous season.

“My mom got tricked into something she didn’t know what she was doing,” Towns said, “and we needed money at the time.”

The investigation, in part, reportedly centered on a Florida-based financial firm that offers
    loans for professional athletes."

Oh yea, sure, we would get the benefit of the doubt. :rolleyes:[laughing]

2. Since the payment did not come from Kansas how does this open up "a bidding war"?
3. Even if it opened up a bidding war it would likely have little effect on the player's college choice.
4. College teams in the power 5 conferences can now offer players up to 3000 (give or take) dollars a semester for "cost of living". The scale is based on actually cost of living where the school is located.
5. Because this scale fluctuates it gives some schools the ability to offer more money to a prospective student-athlete.

Like I said the rule is stupid. After this past season, power 5 institutions will begin the real bidding wars....for all of their sports. Should we just do away with college athletics then?

The NCAA is trying to hang on to amateurism as long as it can. If they allowed kids in high school to receive $$ to sway them to a certain school, or pay them once they're in college, can you imagine the mess that agents/runners/bad actors would cause? That would be opening a Pandora's Box of epic scale. I'm not talking about "stipends" from the schools; that would be ok, and keep a level playing field. And no, KU may not and likely did not know about Cliff's mom's payments, but if there was no punishment (vacating games) it would go out of control.

I agree, no probation for KU; it wasn't their fault; but by rule an ineligible player's games have to be vacated. And as of now, loss of amateurism constitutes ineligibility.

The only thing that will happen
There will be nothing to see here, but Take a look at this: I just wonder if all of our kansas fans can admit what their boards would look like if this were that article:
  1. Former Kentucky forward Karl Anthony Towns has shed some light on the NCAA investigation that derailed his freshman season.

In this fake made-up interview this week with 120Sports.com, Towns said his mother, ms. T, “got tricked into something” when she received impermissible benefits that could have compromised Towns amateur status. When the NCAA opened an investigation into the issue in February, Kentucky decided to sideline Towns, a 7 foot forward from Chicago. He never played for Kentucky again and opted to enter the NBA Draft after a tumultuous season.

“My mom got tricked into something she didn’t know what she was doing,” Towns said, “and we needed money at the time.”

The investigation, in part, reportedly centered on a Florida-based financial firm that offers
    loans for professional athletes."

Oh yea, sure, we would get the benefit of the doubt. :rolleyes:[laughing]
Internet would blow up demanding Cal's resignation and the NCAA would have to buy a house in Lexington for its investigation team.

But that would assume that KU and self knew; how could they, or should they, have known? That would be Strict Liability, and we all know that the NCAA only applies that to "certain" programs not named Duke, or UNC.

I've never heard the NCAA use strict liability against anyone but Memphis. No other NCAA officials have used that term to my knowledge, which is of course very limited.

I've never heard the NCAA use strict liability against anyone but Memphis. No other NCAA officials have used that term to my knowledge, which is of course very limited.

As the mod JohnBlue mentioned, Memphis ignored concerns from the NCAA and other organizations about Rose's eligibility and this is one of the main reasons for the strict liability charge.

Reactions: Scudstock15
Assuming Cliff had nothing to do with this, it really sucks for him. Most mocks have him late 1st- or even into the 2nd round. Might have been one of the few players where it made sense to come back after a disappointing year and have a realistic shot at getting drafted in a higher position if he had a better season as a sophomore.

I'm sorry, but why do you think "probation is in order"? The money didn't come from anyone connected to Kansas, and Kansas suspended him as soon as they learned about it.

I swear some of you guys are so eager to hang other programs that you don't bother to even read the actual facts on these things. There may be basis for the NCAA vacating the games Alexander played in, since he technically shouldn't have been eligible, but I don't see any basis here for punishing KU beyond that.

I'm not eager to hang any program. I was actually using sarcasm because nothing will become of it, if it was UK this would be national news and talk of the death penalty.

Besides what happened to UMass when Camby took gifts from an agent? I don't think that UMass was behind that but didn't stop the NCAA from dropping the hammer.

Reactions: .S&C.
Besides what happened to UMass when Camby took gifts from an agent? I don't think that UMass was behind that but didn't stop the NCAA from dropping the hammer.

Big difference, Camby was already enrolled at UMass. Hence, UMass was responsible for knowing he was ineligible. Cliff was not at KU yet, so if they can't show KU knew about the loan then they must show Cliff knew he was ineligible in order to deem him ineligible for the games he played in after the loan/whatever. This is assuming the rules haven't changed since then.

Apparently you do not know that major programs have "handlers" these guys take care of you if you have needs. They are apart of the program but are not. They are big fans but sacrifice of being tied to the program but to try and help them out if they can.
Their was an article written about a year ago that kinda explains the process in football. It goes hand in hand with basketball as well, some programs don't need these guys and some do.
Back on the day I had friends who played football and had new sneakers/ loafers whatever they liked to wear would show up for em with a 1000-3000 stuffed into the shoes. That would be like 7-8 grand in today's money

Big difference, Camby was already enrolled at UMass. Hence, UMass was responsible for knowing he was ineligible. Cliff was not at KU yet, so if they can't show KU knew about the loan then they must show Cliff knew he was ineligible in order to deem him ineligible for the games he played in after the loan/whatever. This is assuming the rules haven't changed since then.

Well we didn't know that their was some crazy guy who was hell bent on some make believe money being in an envelope and we got hammered for it.
No proof at all of it just what some huge ucla fan said.
After all we all know this wouldn't take place (200k to Davis) where some jealous fans of other programs makes up crap (UL and their card games).

Well we didn't know that their was some crazy guy who was hell bent on some make believe money being in an envelope and we got hammered for it.
No proof at all of it just what some huge ucla fan said.
After all we all know this wouldn't take place (200k to Davis) where some jealous fans of other programs makes up crap (UL and their card games).

I don't know much about the incidents leading up to the sanctions against UK at that time. Is that all that they were about?

I'm not eager to hang any program. I was actually using sarcasm because nothing will become of it, if it was UK this would be national news and talk of the death penalty.

Oh what bullshit. Nobody would ever be talking about death penalty if this was UK or any other school. You sound ridiculous.

Reactions: Scudstock15
Every game he played will be forfeited. There is no way around that whatsoever, unless the 'tricky' bag of cash didn't go to his mom until February, but that makes no sense.
good lord. You guys need to read the rulebook. Ku will not need to vacate any games. That is not the penalty for this.

It was pretty much that and they said Eric Manuel cheated on his tests. Their proof was his test score went up considerably from the last time he took it.

What's funny is that mine went up more than his did the 2nd time I took mine. I stayed up the night before partying and never slept. I kept dozing off during most of the test taking time. I even put the reading answers where the math was supposed to be etc. I think mine went from a 11 to a 27

Oh what bullshit. Nobody would ever be talking about death penalty if this was UK or any other school for these circumstances. You sound ridiculous.

Have you ever been around card fans?? That's all I have to say.

Apparently you do not know that major programs have "handlers" these guys take care of you if you have needs. They are apart of the program but are not. They are big fans but sacrifice of being tied to the program but to try and help them out if they can.
Their was an article written about a year ago that kinda explains the process in football. It goes hand in hand with basketball as well, some programs don't need these guys and some do.
Back on the day I had friends who played football and had new sneakers/ loafers whatever they liked to wear would show up for em with a 1000-3000 stuffed into the shoes. That would be like 7-8 grand in today's money

If KU had some handler that did this then he sucks at it. I would think that a bag of cash on the kitchen table would work better than a loan that had to be paid paid with interest and that required loan paperwork to be filed in court. Man, I thought you guys would be a little more up to speed with how things work than this.

If KU had some handler that did this then he sucks at it. I would think that a bag of cash on the kitchen table would work better than a loan that had to be paid paid with interest and that required loan paperwork to be filed in court. Man, I thought you guys would be a little more up to speed with how things work than this.

Actually, it Cliff's mom who needs a basic education to understand how things work. Families are told repeatedly that taking money even as a loan is a no-no. I wonder what part of "no" she doesn't understand?

ADVERTISEMENT