ADVERTISEMENT

CI Wrestling Thread #55: WrestlingThreadMania

Ambrose would kick Reigns and Heisman's ass while I explain to my son the difference in Dirty Deeds before 2014 and after......

I am surprised to took yall that long!

Ask him does he miss some of the small time guys like Lance Russell ? Or maybe who from that time is he still really close with or about creating the Kamala character.

Wow, I wouldn't go as far as say creaming...but it may have moved...:)

I wouldn't know where to begin, so many questions. Maybe the feud with Terry Funk, or the Idol-Rich-Heyman angle where they shaved his head.

So yeah I'll need your guys input because it's to promote his DVD. Let's hear em boys.

So yeah I'll need your guys input because it's to promote his DVD. Let's hear em boys.

One old school comment (well, maybe two) and one recent.

1. I want ONE comment about Tojo Yamamoto (trained a LOT of the Gulas territory guys when Lawler broke into the business)
2. Who was/is bigger in Memphis in their time...Sputnik Monroe or himself?
3. Any regrets in NOT wrestling in a WM?

OK here are mine...

With Letterman ending, the angle he did with Andy Kaufman on there and the feud in general.

The whole feud with Austin Idol, Tommy Rich and Paul Heyman where he got his head shaved.

WWE releated. The feud with Bret Hart, did he think he ever crossed the line with some of the things he said about the Hart family.

His heart attack. I am sure they want you to ask him about that.

The feud with Terry Funk, and maybe memories of Randy Savage.

The feud with Eddie Gilbert and the angle where he ran over The King with a car.

Last one...does he think a group like Memphis if it came along now, could it be successful.

That's all I got, I will hang up and listen.

- The Poffo outlaw promotion and that leading to working with Macho

- The WWF invasion of CWA. Who was the driving force behind that getting done, if Vince wanted/enjoyed going heel, how well he thought Bret and Owen did with the Memphis style/crowd. Something along those lines

- Ask him about Jimmy Hart creating the Rock-n-Roll Express ;)

Wow!!!! Heisman your one lucky cat, I'd do that interview for free man so just know someone somewhere has blessed you for something!

Questions:

1- Clearly he and Dundee carried CWA, but there were a ton of known guys that came thru there like Sting, UW, UT, Bam Bam, Sid, Macho, Eddie Gilbert, Dutch Mantel and the list goes on, which outsider did he enjoy the most?

2- How, or better yet why did the fireballs become apart of so many angles back then?

3- Did it impact him much when the pile driver was "banned"?

4- last, and maybe too touchy but you got final say.......How much of an impact did he have on Bryan Christopher when he first came up?

I absolutely LOVED Memphis Wrestling, but they got pretty crazy at one time creating characters like the Christmas Creature, Freddie Krueger, The Mutant Ninja Turtle, and probably some others that I can't remember now.

Lance and Dave were the greatest!

I'd ask about Eddie Gilbert and let that segue into a discussion about Memphis' influence on ECW. (I personally feel that Gilbert had a lot of ECW influence, that he brought it from Memphis, and the lack of recognition and possibly success irked Lawler.)

I wonder why you think it irked Lawler? It is known that Eddie's dad was a bit irritated with Lawler because Eddie idolized him instead of Tommy. Eddie also really molded himself and his style to be like Lawler.

But as far as ECW, I can see that coming out of memphis. Except for ECW no brand ever used an aresenal of weapons like memphis.

It was allright...good match between Cena and Neville. They announced they are bringing back the Elimination Chamber as a WWE Network only PPV on the 31st.

Daniel Bryan had to give up the IC Title.

Ambrose was left as the only guy standing at the end of the night, pretty much cementing he will be the one who gets pinned on Sunday.

Yep Rollins guaranteed to pin Ambrose Sunday after last night. Would love to see Neville pick up the IC belt.

Pretty sure it is legit, this time it is his shoulder. Got hurt on the recent overseas tour.

I wonder why you think it irked Lawler?

Because hardcore ECW reminds me of brawling Memphis, yet Lawler has NEVER said anything kind about ECW. Never said, "They just copied what we were doing in Memphis." Never said, "They were over the top." Either he's joined the AA Kayfabe Club or he legit hates ECW/Heyman to the point that he can't say anything kind.

Well, ok.

So heisman gets a cool opportunity, drops it on us and then breaks out like the chicken pox?

Anyhow, I was going to suggest brushing up on some Jackie Fargo, Nick Bockwinkel, Bill Dundee, Jimmy Hart and Jerry Jarrett's relationship with Lawler. All those guys were huge to Lawler becoming the King.

Got to admit this is the first interview I've been pretty stoked for.

Hey let's bump this thing back up...So Destination America announced today that Impact Wrestling will move to Wednesday nights starting June 3. Not surprising since the ratings started out decent on Friday nights and have gone steadily downward.
I don't think the shows have been that bad personally.

Sounded like the NXT show in Philly last night was pretty awesome. The main event was Sasha Banks vs. Charlotte.

Sorry, fellas. Been slammed this week. Lawler interview got pushed to May 21st, which gives me way more time to study this DVD of his. It's too good of an opportunity to half-ass the research so glad it got put back a week. You know I'm not going to let you all down and will ask probably half of these.

I also, was surprised for the second straight PPV they did not use anyone to promote it this no interview. Instead, they're going to give me someone to promote Elimination Chamber.

As for krazykats question, I did not get to watch a ton of the Memphis stuff (I know there's no excuse) but I was casual at best. Lawler is however, one of the top three guys I would put at the top of my list to interview. Vince would be number one.

Seems like a lot of places are suggesting Joe will be making his NXT debut soon.

http://www.sbnation.com/2015/5/15/8613721/samoa-joe-wwe-rumors-debut-nxt-takeover-unstoppable

Appears to rededicated like Steen did before arriving to NXT. Looks like the Joe of old:
Screen%20shot%202015-05-16%20at%209.08.29%20AM_zpsfgbh6mk7.jpg

I think a focused Joe is one of the best in the world. Fortunately, he'll be a NXT product to start which keeps me optimistic about his WWE future, but there is always the possibility of...

IMG_1981_zps7k4rqljb.jpg

As for krazykats question, I did not get to watch a ton of the Memphis stuff (I know there's no excuse) but I was casual at best. Lawler is however, one of the top three guys I would put at the top of my list to interview. Vince would be number one.

I was just curious, it would certainly be worth it to go back and view, plus I just wanted to give some tips on guys in the business that had a huge role in Lawler becoming who we know today. When he first started he was awful and he will even admit that.

I was just curious, it would certainly be worth it to go back and view, plus I just wanted to give some tips on guys in the business that had a huge role in Lawler becoming who we know today. When he first started he was awful and he will even admit that.

I think the Fabulous Jackie Fargo had a big effect on Lawler when he was just starting out, if I remember correctly.

As an aside, I went to the SEC Tournament several years ago when it was in Memphis, at the Pyramid. This was during the Cats/Hogs classics.

Anyway, I made a point to stop by the studio where Lance and Dave hosted the Saturday morning show (this was after the promotion had folded, sadly). I asked the nice lady up front if I could take a peek at the studio as I had been a long time fan of the shows there. She was very accommodating and pleasant and took us right in. The memories just flooded me as I stood there and thought, "if these walls could talk." Of course, Eddie Gilbert ran over Lawler in a car in the parking lot there.

My goodness, what history that place has.

Absolutely remember it. I remember everything about that promotion. They rarely pulled stunts like that, but they would use a persons home as a part of the show quick. I remember one of the first times Lawler had to leave when Dundee beat him and Lance visited Lawler at home. Lance pulls up and Lawlers car is pulled into the front yard and beer cans are everywhere, Lance is disgusted but knocks anyway only to find Lawler passed out in the bushes!

Lance the. Tries to get Lawler to come to, but it's a very drunken mess of Lawler so Lance cuts the camera and plans to go back the week after......Lawler in 1 week becomes a new man with a purpose to get back and become the king again.

Just an all around "back on my feet again" angle that made the crowd sympathize with Lawler to the point they would fight his enemies at the show if needed, real fight too.

Click the link here, doesn't sound like a loser leave town like I thought but it's classic

The good folks at High spots have a collection of 12 or so DVD's of nothing but Classic Memphis Wrestling. I have six of them, really good dvd's and brought back a lot of memories. I couldn't bring myself to get the ones dedicated to the Fabulous Ones or the Rock and Roll Express. :rolleyes:

As you all have said all signs seem to point to Joe debuting at the NXT show on Wednesday. They are doing everything they can to keep subscribers to the network.

Roman reigns and R-Truth were at Waffle House in Lagrange earlier this week. The guy that waited the table apparently was a wrestling fanatic and was very (I repeat for emphasis) very star struck. Funny as hell.

Lawler was my sig pic when I first started posting on the board years ago. My favorite wrestler ever, at least in terms of what it meant at the time. The Memphis product was the best wrestling ever to me.

If anyone is interested they released the tentative line-up for the Global Force Wrestling show in June in Bowling Green.

Shelton Benjamin vs. Chris Adonis (Masters)
The Young Bucks vs. Andrew Everett & PJ Black (Justin Gabriel)
Sonjay Dutt vs. Jimmy Rave vs. Jigsaw
Chuck Taylor vs. Cliff Compton.
Luke Hawx vs. Luke Gallows.
Lei’D Tapa vs. Thea Trinidad
Also appearing will be Scott Hall.

I always felt as if sure Lawler was awesome and was easy to cheer for like Hogan back then, but Dundee made Memphis. That little rascal bounced between heel/face by the week and was a flat out badass!

He has an hour and a half interview with with Stone cold that is worth a listen, a lot of great old school memphis info.

Dundee comes off like a legit "good" guy (as much a carny can be good, I suppose). His son, on the other hand... :eek:

Jaime never had it like Bill, hell most people don't know Bill learned to put on a show by working in a circus! Because of where Bill was Jaime always seemed to have that entitled attitude.

The fan that jumps in the ring almost messed this thing up because Ken Lucas jumps up like he wasn't beaten, once the fan is removed Lucas goes back to getting beat up by Jimmy Hart, LMAO!

Would like to go to that show but will be in the Smokies that weekend

Payback Predictions

Rollins retains- really hope they don't turn Ambrose
Cena over Rusev- unless they do the pre taped Cena says I quit like Foley years ago
New Day over Kidd and Cesaro
Naomi and Tamina over the Bellas- and when did the Bellas become faces again
Neville over Barrett
Sheamus over Ziggler
Wyatt over Ryback
Sandow and Axel over the Decension

Seems like absolutely nothing will happen with this ppv.

As for Lawler - would like to know what his favorite angle was that he worked (personally mine is when Wwf invaded Memphis) and what he attributes to his longevity in the wrestling profession.

Good questions because his feuds were crazy and there were a lot. Id love to hear his reason for longevity too because I've heard Bill Dundee's reason and he says it's the exact same for Lawler so to see if they agree would be interesting.

Man this interview could go a lot of ways for you Heisman. You could almost focus on 3-4 different eras and get completely different takes.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT