ADVERTISEMENT

CI Wrestling Thread #55: WrestlingThreadMania

It also, got me thinking how many wrestling legends I have seen in person. Might be a good convo, fellas.

Ha
ve to put mine consecutively instead of list form:

Andre, Bobo Brazil, Jackie Fargo, Tojo Yamamoto, Jerry Lawler, Austin Idol, Mil Mascaras, The Assassins, The Kangaroos, Stan Hansen, Harley Race, Wahoo McDaniel, Ricky Steamboat, Ric Flair, Sgt Slaughter, The Freebirds, Greg Valentine, Hulk Hogan (in Memphis), Terry Funk, Dusty Rhodes, Abdullah the Butcher, Jimmy Valentine, The Sheik, The Andersons, The Rock & Roll Express, The Sheepherders, Ray Stevens, Nick Bockwinkle, Mad Dog Vachon, Bob Armstrong, The Mongolian Stomper, Killer Kowalski, Baron von Raschke, Blackjack Mulligan, Dick Murdoch, Macho Man (in Memphis) (and I'm sure I missed a few)

One of my few regrets is NOT seeing The Road Warriors in person.

Man, we got some good lists on here. I want to address those indiividually but first I have to tell you who WWE is setting me up with for an interview.....

Jerry Springer
laugh.r191677.gif

Seriously??? I guess it is to promote his new show on the WWE Network...

I would have to sit down and think about how many people I have seen wrestle live, but to begin will go through some of the shows I have been too.

WWE

TV Taping in 1992 with a Ultimate Warrior match on his new DVD
Ground Zero 97
Raw in Lex- Nov. 98
Raw in Lex- July 99
Judgment Day 2000
Backlash 2006
Couple of Raw's and Smackdowns in Louisville-
Bunch of house shows too

WCW

House Show in Portsmouth, Oh in 1991
House Show in Hazard in 1992
Nitro in Cinncy the week after the 97 Survivor Series
Both Thunders in Lexington
Souled Out 99- Charleston, W VA
Souled Out 2000 in Cinncy
Nitro in Cinncy in 2000

ECW

Heat Wave 98 and 99
TV Taping in Cinncy in 2000

Pillman Memorial Shows 99-2001
Too many Memphis wrestling shows to mention, they used to run at Lincoln Co. HS every other month.
20 or so IWA Mid-South Shows

Man that is a lot of wrestling in my life

This post was edited on 4/17 10:53 AM by K-mac18

Jerry! Jerry! Jerry!

Have fun with that Heisman. Should be interesting to see what you can get.

I won't have the list that the rest of you have. Everything I've been to is WWE. First house show was when I was 9-10 years old (89-90) at Rupp... Honestly cannot recall who was there.

Outside of WWE the only other event I have been to was a WCW Thunder show in Rupp.

only non WWE shows I've been too are a TNA house show that was awesome

Petey Williams and Sonjay Dutt vs. Eric Young and Robert Roode
Christopher Daniels vs. Low-Ki
LAX vs. The Naturals (I was in the second row, Homicide walked up by me and went "God these guys SUCK!")
Rhino beat the Bashams in a handicapped hardcore match
Gail Kim and Chris Harris vs. Jackie Moore and James Storm
Samoa Joe vs. AJ Styles
Christian vs. Kurt Angle

this was in 2007

a show in Lawrenceburg where Chris Jericho was signing autographs, also in 2007. Matt Sydal and Nigel McGuiness were both advertised but neither were there. It was pretty much Shark Boy, Rob Conway, Traci Brooks, and a bunch of nobodies

and then I've been to two ROH shows. United We Stand

Hey lets bump this thing up, sure you all saw Taz is done with TNA. Apparently they are more than 2 months behind in paying the wrestlers, announcers and crew, so he refused to go to Nashville until he got his money and ultimately led him to quit.
I could totally see him doing some stuff for the WWE Network or even NXT.
Impact was another good show Friday night, too bad no one is watching it on Destination America.

Already announced for Raw, Miz vs. Mizdow, the winner gets to use all the music, clothes etc of Miz.

I don't contribute to this thread much, but read it often.

I also was at the November 98 Raw. Senior year of high school. I still contend Austin got some pops in Rupp that night that were just as loud, if not louder, than the moment UK nails a transition 3 to go up 20 during a 12-2 run on a ranked opponent/rival. I had grown men around me cursing and getting slobbering mad at the Undertaker for that shovel to the Rattlesnake's head at the end of the Austin/Rock title match.

The corporation is my all-time favorite angle. Corporate Rock was awesome. Just a great six or seven month storyline. Austin's journey was great, got a good match against Taker, two against McMahon, before two pretty good matches against The Rock. Meanwhile, Rock's feud with Foley was incredible. Total perfection, IMO.

In terms of wrestlers I've seen, I never went to a WCW or NWA show so I didn't see a lot of those guys or the old guys from the territory days..mostly Attitude Era and beyond.

Stone Cold Steve Austin
The Rock
Brock Lesnar
Triple H
Undertaker
Sting
Kurt Angle
Chris Benoit
Eddie Gurerro
Chris Jericho
Edge
Randy Orton
Daniel Bryan
John Cena

I've only seen Flair, Hogan, and HBK come on RAW/WrestleMania but never be in the ring in their own matches.

Seen live:

Memphis Wrestling

Lawler
Dundee
Jarrett
Moon Dogs
Tommy Rich
Austin Idol
Dutch Mantel
Hot Stuff Eddie Gilbert

WWF

Hogan
Macho
Slaughter
Ken Patera
Kane
UT
Austin
Rock
Dx
Orton
Miz
Cena

There are more from WWF but I don't remember a lot. I went to Raw here in Louisville 2 years ago, went to RAW 3 yrs in a row (I think) from '99-'01, and went to two house shows as a kid with my dad. One house show was Hogan and someone vs Patera and someone as the main event and the other was during the Hogan/Slaughter feud but Hogan no showed and Macho/Slaughter had a no DQ which Macho was the man!! I remember always thinking he was legit and all but that match live has made me a believer of Macho ever since! I don't remember how old I was then but I do remember thinking Id never seen anything like that.

Originally posted by JasonSpear:
In Your House (don't remember a good one)
Canadian Stampede

But yeah, I think 5 PPVs a year is plenty; the big 4 plus a War Games PPV(
innocent0001.r191677.gif
). Especially now that WWE puts on word title and uppercard matches on EVERY RAW. Bring back some jobber matches, cut RAW in half, stop all the talking segments, and reduce the number of PPVs to 5.

Now that WWE is going with the network model over actual PPVs, they would seem to lose less money by having fewer events, but what do I know?

Speaking of live shows...Jeff Jarrett's Global Force Wrestling announced its first dates today. They are going to run at a bunch of minor league baseball stadiums. One of them is in Bowling Green on Saturday June 20th

- I got to see HBK in person twice.

At Backlash when he teamed up with God to take on Vince and Shane.

Then again in 2008 (I believe) at a house show. It was the last time he was in Rupp (if I recall correctly).

- So Meltzer reported that Bryan was sent home from Europe because he had a concussion. WWE said that he did not have a concussion and he was sent home because he was "banged up."

- Are they going to do anything to make you care care about Extreme Rules on Sunday?

Just read WWE has banned Rollins' finishing move The Curb Stomp cause of head injury concerns.

WTF?

Easy to say from a fan perspective, but it is a move that depends heavily on the person taking it and if it's dangerous the ban is worthy. On the flip side Memphis banned the pile driver for awhile and it made the move that much more meaningful. I think we as adults forget the kids views sometimes and how they perceive things. If you got reports of kids running around curb stomping other kids and causing serious injuries, WWE does not want that backlash.

I remember the first DDT I ever gave to my younger cousin that lived with us at the time, busted nose and wrestling was banned in the house forever. That sucked at 10 yrs old.

Originally posted by krazykats:
Easy to say from a fan perspective, but it is a move that depends heavily on the person taking it and if it's dangerous the ban is worthy. On the flip side Memphis banned the pile driver for awhile and it made the move that much more meaningful. I think we as adults forget the kids views sometimes and how they perceive things. If you got reports of kids running around curb stomping other kids and causing serious injuries, WWE does not want that backlash.

I remember the first DDT I ever gave to my younger cousin that lived with us at the time, busted nose and wrestling was banned in the house forever. That sucked at 10 yrs old.
This is why. My friend's grandson ALWAYS wants to curbstomp me. He's 7. Now he's all of 51 lbs, but if he does that to another kid...bad things might happen. That's why we have an agreement to NOT practice wrestling moves on other kids. Hopefully he'll grow out of it before he's big enough to actually do some damage to me!

Well I have to say if nothing else, last night's Raw featured one of the best RKO's of all-time. That was pretty cool.

Watch the stuff with Kane and Rollins and then watch the main event. That's all I got.

I have yet to watch RAW and probably won't. I knew run and hide champion was coming but I hate that it's with Orton who probably should carry the strap for now. That isn't Rollins fault either, his schtick is played out and the people around him are terrible.

I think Rollins retains on Sunday, probably keeps the title until SummerSlam.
Return
Suplex
Repeat
New Champ

This is mobile friendly.

Rollins is a great chicken heel. Will finish the show with the ff button engaged.

Chicken heel doesn't bother me, but it has to remain interesting. Knowing Orton should beat Rollins is perfect, but the crap around Rollins isn't believable nor is it fun to watch. Not that everything has to be horsemen style but Flair had great characters to protect him during chicken heel time.......what else made Flair so good at chicken heel was the fact that you never really knew why he ran because when he had to fight he just may win.

That's what makes a chicken heel GREAT!!!

You guys been monitoring Eva Marie's training videos on instagram via WrestleZone, PWMania, etc? She's getting a lot better. Kudos for her for starting back at zero and working up. Apparently, WWE is going to push her and Lana big time.

The last two weeks in a row, I have found myself just turning RAW off. I watch the opening and then a little bit of the middle. Its just that this PPV is filler and super boring. We need to get Kane and Show into the retirement home and get some fresh feuds.

On a related note, what happens at SummerSlam? Brock Vs Rollins or does Reigns get in there? Shield 3 way? Reigns Vs Triple H?

I REALLY wanna see an Ambrose push, so shield triple threat would be great.

I am disappointed Bryan may miss Extreme Rules. Anyone think that the powers that be may be afraid Bryan's injury is gonna be long term and they decide to give Barrett the IC title back?

Way to kill a good rivalry that just heated up Orton/Rollins by adding the geezer into the mix.

Global Force Wrestling has dates, but no roster??? Will it be some indie guys? NJPW? ROH? Help me out here. Tempted to take the son to BG in June, but sucks not having a clue who may be there.

You all probably saw this already but Samoa Joe was at the NXT Tapings last night meeting with HHH. Joe in NXT I would like, Joe as a third Uso on the main roster, I have no use for.

You all probably saw this already but Samoa Joe was at the NXT Tapings last night meeting with HHH. Joe in NXT I would like, Joe as a third Uso on the main roster, I have no use for.
Personally I find Joe more attractive than Naomi Uso.../rimshot

But seriously I think she's one hideous looking thing.

I could dig Joe coming in as a "jealous cousin of Roman Reigns". "I'm better than you, I've paid my dues, but you had the political clout and the looks so you had it easy." Let Joe and Reigns have an intense feud that gets Reigns over as a tough guy and Joe over as a guy who belongs in WWE. Don't let either guy win it, but instead have them come together to fend off some common foe in a show of mutual respect.

Still no sign of Daniel Bryan in Chicago. Could be very interesting.

A ways off, but who's everyone's way to early pick for MITB?

How long till Balor gets the call up? Dude is unreal. I am more impressed with Neville on the big stage than I thought I would be, and I am sure they do not want to distract from each other now.

Still no sign of Daniel Bryan in Chicago. Could be very interesting.

A ways off, but who's everyone's way to early pick for MITB?

How long till Balor gets the call up? Dude is unreal. I am more impressed with Neville on the big stage than I thought I would be, and I am sure they do not want to distract from each other now.

I'm sticking with Ambrose for MITB. I really think its going to happen. Either him or possibly Rusev, maybe.

Hey there is a PPV tonight, WWE has announced Daniel Bryan will not wrestle on the show. Barrett will now wrestle Neville.

Prediction time

Rollins retains by some Ric Flair like way over Orton

Cena over Rusev- should be the other way around
Kidd and Cesaro over New Day
Nikki over Naomi
Harper over Ambrose
Reigns over Big Show
Sheamus over Ziggler- Dolph has been talking like he is on his way out.

This PPV seems like a bowl of suck. I have no interest in any of these matches because I've seen it before and the outcome is predictable.

Bowl of suck would be accurate from the surface. Hopefully, it won't be ALL that bad.

Neville. Great start to the night!

That main event match was absolutely horrible...Ziggler and Sheamus was a great match...Show and Reigns were surprisingly good...The main event was the worst match of the night IMO.

Reactions: CatsFanGG24
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT