ADVERTISEMENT

CI Wrestling Thread #55: WrestlingThreadMania

AJ retired?

sadpanda.jpg

Originally posted by CoreyDavis:
I have no idea if this was minority or majority opinion, but I would've been perfectly okay with Lesnar keeping the belt for the rest of the decade:
ec
If he didn't wrestle once every few months, I'd be okay with it. But I like seeing the WWE World Heavyweight Championship defended at almost every PPV. Taking off from September to January was way too much.

Its nights like these boys where I think I prefer pro wrestling to actual sports. At least it doesn't hurt when a ref screws over your favorite guy nor do you have to wait another year before you get some redemption. I honestly think I am going to take a huge sabbatical from following sports due to the Vegas influence. At least with WWE, I know McMahon or the IWC just influences it and that's really not that bad.

Originally posted by HeismanWildcat85:
Its nights like these boys where I think I prefer pro wrestling to actual sports. At least it doesn't hurt when a ref screws over your favorite guy nor do you have to wait another year before you get some redemption. I honestly think I am going to take a huge sabbatical from following sports due to the Vegas influence. At least with WWE, I know McMahon or the IWC just influences it and that's really not that bad.
Well said. Not as upset as I was last night, still pretty bummed about the end of the run.

- I would have no problem keeping the title on Lesnar - even at his current schedule. It just felt like so much bigger a deal when Lesnar did have match.

- Went back and watched the title match from WrestleMania one night while I was up with the little guy. That really was a great match and the last 10 minutes were just awesome. Multiple times you thought Lesnar and Reigns were going to win and then Rollins cash in. Just awesome.

- I hope that the title stays on Rollins till SummerSlam for a match Lesnar. Rollins can feud with Orton, Reigns, and Ambrose until then.

KB, you getting any sleep? Our 5 month old still doesn't sleep well.

Alright so at what point do you book The Shield triple threat title match? SummerSlam? Survivor Series? WrestleMania 32?

Depends on who you want to win it.......also got to slow build that thing for maximum interest. Summer slam would be idea except I think that's about the time to have Brock take back the crown.

Maybe between then and Survivor Series so the winner gets a shot at the belt at survivor series

Not much of a Raw Preview for tonight

Continue the build to Extreme Rules

Talk Is Jericho Podcast afterwards with John Cena

Heisman little guy is sleeping about 3 hours at a time. Our oldest (23 months) sleeps like a champ - from 10:30- about 8 every night. She is starting to fight wanting to take an afternoon nap.

So I am sure all eyes from this group will be on RAW tonight.

I don't know when you do the Shield 3 way. The next time we see Brock is likely SummerSlam - unless ratings hit the tank and they bring him back sooner. So Brock will get his rematch then.

What if they did it over the summer? Maybe Money in the Bank?

So just announced by WWE today, Smackdown is moving to the USA Network in 2016 and away from SyFy.

Also Tough Enough will debut on the USA Network on Tuesday June 23 at 8:00.

Pretty surprised at this one.

Smackdown

Well let me try this again. Just announced, Smackdown is moving to USA Network in 2016 and away from SyFy.

Also Tough Enough will debut on USA on Tuesday June 23.

Kind of surprised at this one, but it will be nice to have all the shows on one network.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2015/04/07/wwe-smackdown-moves-to-usa-network-in-2016/386011/

SO I have been watching one of the Memphis Memories DVD's I got, man I forgot how good Memphis wrestling was back in the day. This one features a bunch of different feuds with Lawler vs. Terry Funk, Austin Idol vs. Stan Hansen and the Road Warriors vs. Fabulous Ones. Plus an early debut of The Freebirds.

Got them from High spots, all highly recommended.

Also been sampling the WWE Network, man as if I didn't have enough trouble sleeping, that stuff is addictive.

The Road Warriors V's Fabulous Ones was awesome. I was a little too young then really because the RW's literally scared me to death. Those dudes even looked bigger in Memphis where no one was a body builder type.

Lawler/Funk was before my time watching, as was Idol/Hansen. That said I never got the Hansen appeal, that is one guy I never thought fit in wrestling but I only saw him in NWA before heading to Japan.

Idol was a star though, and I don't understand how he never seemed to make it anywhere but Memphis.

Hansen's appeal was that he could legitimately whoop just about anyone's ass and was a decent technical worker. He was also a good promo. Just an all around really believable wrestler.

Since the Road Warriors and Hansen were brought up, now seems like an appropriate time to post this match. Maybe you guys have seen it, but it's a favorite of mine. I love it because it's basically 8 minutes of the Road Warriors doing their normal stiff stuff only to realize in the last 4 minutes that maybe Hansen and Race aren't the best guys to trade licks with. Hell, Hawk looks like Bobby Eaton in that last exchange with Race; looks like he definitely does not want to get too stiff.

Harley Race and Stan Hansen vs the Road Warriors

So lets pop this back to the top...

Raw Preview for tonight...will be recorded soon in London.

WWE United States champion John Cena's Open Challenge.

Divas Battle Royal to determine who will challenge WWE Divas champion Nikki Bella at the Extreme Rules PPV later this month.

Finn Balor teases a Raw appearance tonight on Twitter. Would be the perfect time to debut near home turf. I hope he does, and he does the demon entrance. I like Neville, but Balor is the one I really want to see succeed.

Semi-controversial take--------Bray Wyatt has peaked and is turning into a bore.

Semi controversial take - the entire WWE product is boring right now.

Thoughts from the board - what would AJ Styles be in WWE if he had ever signed? Main event? Mid card?
Just watched a couple of his NJPW matches against The Rainmaker when he won the IWGP title and really enjoy his ring work and I think his mic skills could hold up as well.

Originally posted by JLRCat:
Semi-controversial take--------Bray Wyatt has peaked and is turning into a bore.
We share the same views. His promos are so boring. He doesn't add anything. Whether its his fault or creative's inability to properly access his character doesn't matter now. Its over. Anytime his stupid promos come on, I just turn the channel.

BTW, how did WWE manage to eff up this PPV card so badly after one of the best WrestleManias in years? No one gives a big eff about Reigns Vs Big Show. No one is interested in seeing Cena bury midcarders on a nightly basis either and having Bryan feud with Bad News isn't intriguing. We also, know that no titles are changing hands at this PPV.

I still enjoy Wyatt. He needs to be booked better though or he will be finished soon.

My controversial take? AJ Styles is overrated. He's sloppy, doesn't have enough charisma and when I'm watching ROH I'd rather see anyone than him. Maybe I still see him as a goober in a turkey suit from TNA, but he does nothing for me.

I like Cena as US Champ. I even like the open challenge. I say give it some time.

when has Wyatt got the better of a freaking feud he was involved in over the last year & a half since his debut?

Daniel Bryan, I guess he pinned him on a PPV, but DB went on to win the belt 2 months later; not a win
Cena? lost
Shield? lost
Jericho? lost
Undertaker? lost

I said the exact same things to my son last night in regards to Bray Wyatt. Has never won a feud, act is played out, he is now boring, doing same thing over and over etc. The Wyatt family break up did none of them any favors. May need to bring in a "new" family member, maybe put them all back together, and have a run of terror just running over some of the mid card - upper face stable. Maybe set up a 8 man cage battle of some sort, maybe against guys like Shamus, Ryback, Dolph, and a guy like DB or some other upper card guy. Hell maybe throw Dean Ambrose in there.

WWE has pinned itself I to a corner because they went strong on a few characters that did not meet expectation. Then they also have guys that the fans are screaming for that they dont want to book with success.

Reigns- everyone should have saw this coming. He was ok but not ready for the big stage, however he will be with a little more experience. You may not like Show in feuds but as a company guy he lays down when they tell him and he is easy and safe to work with. Read between the lines here and Reigns is probably next in line for Rollins.

Bryan- well what can you say the "little guy" isn't believable but the crowd loves him. Do something to keep him busy in case we need a ratings grab sometime, otherwise stay out of the way goatf@(ker.

Cena- this guy should be next in line for the Brock lesnar booking so he isn't squashing everybody every show, but they need rating and merchandise sales so screw everyone and yay kids!!!! Turn heel f@ggut.

Now they have guys that could easily take the show over and be awesome and honestly the higher ups love a lot of them but for some reason are too stupid to keep momentum after WM every single year! Congrats and good luck with that!!!

Needs a push now: Ambrose, Mizdow, R-truth (I am alone here I am sure)

Needs to GTFO: Barrett

Turn heel: Cena, Reigns

Rollins is perfect where he is at.

Wyatt family reunion although it won't happen.

Call up Balor now

I am pro Wyatt. He has not gotten any help from creative and his down fall started when he lost to Cena at WM. A match that Wyatt should have won. Then he could have taken off. He never really recovered from that. Add a loss to UT at WM this year and he lost even more momentum.

Wyatt needs to be put in a feud in which he comes out on top.

His promos are great too.

BTW, how did WWE manage to eff up this PPV card so badly after one of the best WrestleManias in years? No one gives a big eff about Reigns Vs Big Show. No one is interested in seeing Cena bury midcarders on a nightly basis either and having Bryan feud with Bad News isn't intriguing. We also, know that no titles are changing hands at this PPV.
WWE screwing up after a great show and having some positive vibes- seems like it happens every year.

We all know what they are missing..,

1257909_o.gif

I think RAW should go back to 2 hours so the Smackdown show has relevance. I never watch SD and haven't for 2-3 hrs now and ai do not feel as if I am missing out on anything really.

^ Its USA that wants it at three hours; not WWE. You may get your wish next year though when SmackDown goes to USA.

So did you guys read about Daniel Bryan's health? Again, he's having neck issues and that's why he has been protected with a light schedule/tag matches. No way could that guy have handled that match with Lesnar if Bryan is having neck issues. I also, wonder how much those bumps from Luke Harper hurt him further?

I'm afraid Bryan will be like Edge and have to retire soon.

Agree with you on Wyatt, they really had something with him but of course has been jobber boy since feuding with Cena. Maybe Rusev can with at Extreme Rules.

Hate to hear that about Bryan but that seems to be where this will end up.

Been checking out a little WWE Network, been hitting up some old NWA shows, then I watched Fully Loaded 2000, one of the best WWF PPV's ever. Of course it featured Benoit in the main event so it was edited somewhat.
I understand they cant feature him but do you have to act like he didn't exist.

Thought Raw was pretty good, I read the reason USA took Smackdown is they have lost a lot of ground in the ratings over the last year to TBS, TNT and AMC. Might as well have something that will get you 2.5 million viewers each week even if you are going to be know as 'the wrestling network"

Subscribing to the Network ($9.99) eases any pain the current product inflicts. It's fantastic.

Speaking of the network, they put up a bunch of Raw's - one of which was RAW in Lexington after Survivor Series in '98. I watched the opening while on lunch today - that took me back.

I saw the Bryan news too. Just sucks. Sent him home after the SD tapings & his match with Barrett at Extreme Rules may not happen.

Bunch of factors but looking back now he should have probably stayed gone until after Mania. That along with changing his style. No way he was going to hold up by wrestling that way. He should have toned it down & I wonder if anyone in the back told him that.

He seemed like he was in a great spot too. IC title, was the main guy on SD & still getting time on RAW.

Hopefully it will not be career ending, but it doesn't look good right now.

Well at least Heisman doesn't have to worry about Bryan's fans hijacking pretty boy's glory
wink.r191677.gif

I was at that Raw the night after the Survivor Series, maybe the best wrestling crowd that I have been around. Crazy night, even with Hawk "falling" off the Titan Tron.

I was at that RAW too. It was my first WWF show. I skipped basketball practice that night just to go to that show. It was electric. That crowd went nuts when Mills Lane announced Austin got a title shot that night.

I was so bummed when that show wasn't on the network until Bandit just told me. I legitimately got excited. I was one of the few in that arena that was sporting The Rock's tee. I was always torn between The Rock and Austin. I loved them both.

Can't believe we were all there that night, guys. Crazy.

I was also, at the RAW the week of Fully Loaded in 1999 when Austin drove the Bloodmobile into Rupp Arena. It was when Undertaker and him were set to meet in a first blood match.

my first show was a house show at Louisville Gardens after my freshman year of high school.

D-Lo vs Droz
Billy Gunn vs. Bart Gunn
Bradshaw vs. The Godfather
Legion of Doom vs. Disciples of Apocollypse
Jeff Jarrett (w/ Tennessee Lee) vs. Steve Blackman
Stone Cold Steve Austin and Vader vs. Mankind and Kane (yes, the world champion was midcard)
Farooq vs. Marvelous Marc Mero (and Sable appeared to distract Mero)
Mark Henry vs. 2 Cold Scorpio
HHH vs. The Rock for the INTERCONTINENTAL title
Owen Hart vs. Ken Shamrock

Originally posted by WildcatFan1982:
my first show was a house show at Louisville Gardens after my freshman year of high school.

D-Lo vs Droz
Billy Gunn vs. Bart Gunn
Stone Cold Steve Austin and Vader vs. Mankind and Kane (yes, the world champion was midcard)
Damn. That's a pretty decent show. Some typical Attitude Era filler but still really good.

I went back and looked at the recaps of some of the RAWs I went to in Lex and remember I saw Eddie Gurrero win the IC title. It also, got me thinking how many wrestling legends I have seen in person. Might be a good convo, fellas.

Originally posted by WildcatFan1982:

D-Lo vs Droz
Billy Gunn vs. Bart Gunn
Damn. That's a pretty decent show. Some typical Attitude Era filler but still really good.

I went back and looked at the recaps of some of the RAWs I went to in Lex and remember I saw Eddie Gurrero win the IC title. It also, got me thinking how many wrestling legends I have seen in person. Might be a good convo, fellas.
Andre the Giant
Hulk Hogan
Jake Roberts
Rick Rude
Ted DiBiase
Hacksaw Jim Duggan

Tommy Rich
Eddie Gilbert
Randy Savage
Tojo Yamamoto
Karl & Kurt Von Brauner with Manager Saul Weingeroff
Len Rossi