ADVERTISEMENT

CI Wrestling Thread #55: WrestlingThreadMania

Originally posted by K-mac18:

I mentioned this on our Twitter discussion last night but man those were some decidedly Non-PC chants at the end of Raw last night, especially during the Divas segment.
So all the yammering over giving divas a chance was done so they could have more time to come up with chants about who's performing oral sex on who. Wrestling fans!

I don't even like women's wrestling and I could tell that both the WM match and especially the Raw match were given more time than usual and they did a good job with it, even though there were some "piss break" comments on my timeline during the WM match. Good on ya, select few fellas.

That Divas show is pretty terrible. That's all i know. Not scripted very well.

Originally posted by JLRCat:
That Divas show is pretty terrible. That's all i know. Not scripted very well.
I'm very thankful for the existence of this show because it got my wife into WWE and I can enjoy it with her. She got to spend a day at Axxess with me, HOF, and got to get in the pres box with me which four years ago never would have happened because she mocked it. So without that , a lot of shaming would occur .

But the editing is kind of comical because it will piece together three months like its all in the same day .

Long time listener, first time poster in the thread. Kudos,gents. Love the conversations on here.

Giiven the Sting interview and the news that the WWE hasn't decided on his future, does anyone else get the feeling that Sting will be around a while, and creative is going in the direction of "The Authority doesn't want him here, but the Vigilante will be popping up whenever he wants Authority bedamned" angle?

I hope not. Didn't see the interview but I will say anything but giving up a role that's worthy of the Stinger and I wish he would t waste his time.

Granted the show doesn't need him right now, and HHH or whoever is booking better than they have in awhile, and even if he had a full time role it would still be every other week worthy most likely.....I just don't see why he is finding it necessary to put up with this.

Sting is awesome even in his old age because his gimmick never relied on things that age would really take away from him. He wasn't a high flyer, he wasn't a muscle bound monster, he wasn't an undefeated type guy that could t lose ever, and most of all his move set was diverse enough to go in whatever direction the match called for.

I still say a summer slam war games is a possibility to build up to. Makes a lot of sense here.

I really hate the Authority angle. It ran its course 15 years ago. That's partly why the Sting/Ripple H finish was not good; Sting should have ended the Authority.

You can't keep conditioning a smarter and smarter crowd to hate the company that's putting on the matches. It's easy heat for a while, but they are running the real risk of turning the fans against the wrestlers. We've seen it with Reigns and Cena (the latter has more going against him than just that, though). What would have happened if Brock didn't re-sign, Bryan's injuries ended his career, and Rollins was injured? The first two were very close to being reality and the third is just a hypothetical. But what would they have done? The only two main event babyfaces in the company would have been hated by the crowd, due largely to their (shoot) relationship with (kayfabe) evil management.

It's also just cheap and old. Come up with a new overarching feud/angle already.

*Partially borrowed this argument from Lance Storm.

I literally couldn't have said it better myself, the whole post is dead on how I feel.

I could have tried like hell to say that and it would have ended in a random tangent about Austin Idol somehow.

happy0030.r191677.gif

Originally posted by krazykats:

I still say a summer slam war games is a possibility to build up to. Makes a lot of sense here.
745431_o.gif

I would love to see a new War Games match. As long as WWF doesn't gimmick the shit out of it and make it XTREME ELIMINATION WAR GAMEZ SERIES ... STAIRS

Triple H wants WarGames. Vince does not want WarGames. Vince does not want to put another ring in the arena when he can have seats in it instead. The closest we'll get to WarGames is the Elimination Chamber. But it isn't the same because it doesn't have the team aspect.

Originally posted by Blind Karl Hess:
So all the yammering over giving divas a chance was done so they could have more time to come up with chants about who's performing oral sex on who. Wrestling fans!
Goes to show that they know very little about marriage, right guys? #rimshot

Maybe BKH, but as you've said and is becoming clearer and clearer.....have faith in HHH. There were hints about WWE/WCW angle and I picked up on it, then Steph just threw it out there for the world and of course we got Dx V's NWO 2 nights ago. Clearly that wasn't the end there, and they can't get Sting if they had some BS lined up for him.

Originally posted by TransyCat09:
I really hate the Authority angle. It ran its course 15 years ago. That's partly why the Sting/Ripple H finish was not good; Sting should have ended the Authority.

You can't keep conditioning a smarter and smarter crowd to hate the company that's putting on the matches. It's easy heat for a while, but they are running the real risk of turning the fans against the wrestlers. We've seen it with Reigns and Cena (the latter has more going against him than just that, though). What would have happened if Brock didn't re-sign, Bryan's injuries ended his career, and Rollins was injured? The first two were very close to being reality and the third is just a hypothetical. But what would they have done? The only two main event babyfaces in the company would have been hated by the crowd, due largely to their (shoot) relationship with (kayfabe) evil management.

It's also just cheap and old. Come up with a new overarching feud/angle already.

*Partially borrowed this argument from Lance Storm.
Agree and this isn't the first place I've heard that either. You'd think there was never any wrestling pre Austin/McMahon feud. We really have moved past the corporate heel stuff.

So can I watch the Sting video anywhere? Is it even worth it?

Originally posted by HeismanWildcat85:
Article with some of the pics from throughout the week.
"Roman Reigns appeared for his meet and greet session and his cheers were remarkable."
laugh.r191677.gif
God Bless You Heisman for fighting the good fight. What did you expect Roman to do to the old lady? Spear? Superman Punch?

I'm only kidding that was great work and I'm sure you had a blast.

Originally posted by JLRCat:

Article with some of the pics from throughout the week.
"Roman Reigns appeared for his meet and greet session and his cheers were remarkable."
laugh.r191677.gif
God Bless You Heisman for fighting the good fight. What did you expect Roman to do to the old lady? Spear? Superman Punch?

I'm only kidding that was great work and I'm sure you had a blast.
I legitimately put that in there for laughs with you guys in mind.

my dream is for all of us to get to go to that Dallaa WrestleMania or hope it comes to Indi the following year. So much fun. Still pumped about it. Did you guys see all the records it set?

Good read Heisman.

I especially liked the part where the elderly lady managed to get up out of her wheelchair after Roman Reigns touched her. It was moving.
devil.r191677.gif

But, seriously, I might have never left Summer Rae.
eek.r191677.gif

Great report on WM 31. As I told you would love to make a Mania sometime, doubt it will happen though.

Was reading a couple of reports about the Hall of Fame, supposedly Shawn Michaels ripped up the script he was given for his speech and just "winged it." Also Vince was not happy about Lurch going in a Kevin Nash and not Diesel and for some of the remarks he made.

Two more quick things, not happy with Madusa cursing and putting over Eric Bischoff. Come on Vince it was 14 freaking years ago, give it a rest. Thanks Pwinsider for most of that.

Wow! Did you guys see this? I really wanted to know the answer to this and now we know.

"The decision to put the WWE World Heavyweight Title on Seth Rollins at WrestleMania 31 was not a last minute decision but only a few people were aware of the plan.
Reigns
was originally planned to win the title but Rollins found out he was
winning it late in the show. He was also informed that after winning, he
would have to take the flight to New York City for The Today Show and
the back to California for RAW.

Rollins reportedly was informed of
the last 45 seconds of the match and that he was winning the title by a
WWE producer right at the start of the angle between Brock Lesnar
and Paul Heyman went into a room with Michael "PS" Hayes to work out
the new finish of the match. The rest of the match had already been
mapped out by that time."

When Rollins found out he was winning the title

Nothing wrong with that and that is about the only way to really keep it tight lipped else there would have been leaks for sure.

Sure wish I got weeks of vacation per 15 minutes that I worked. Would be awesome!

Originally posted by krazykats:
Nothing wrong with that and that is about the only way to really keep it tight lipped else there would have been leaks for sure.

Sure wish I got weeks of vacation per 15 minutes that I worked. Would be awesome!
Agreed,

This is what I'd like to know. At what point did WWE know they wanted to switch it to Rollins? What was the reason for it? Reigns hadn't been mentioned yet at the venue so they didn't know what the reaction was going to be. Either they had this in mind the whole time and didn't want any leaks or they called an audible because they didn't want Reigns to get booed or just had a change of heart on how things would improve.

I will say this, the night before at the SAP center for the HOF, WWE aired their Tapout commercial in between speeches. When Reigns came on shaking the chains, the boos were very loud. WWE could have (I'm grasping for straws here) made the decision then since that place could have had a similar crowd to the WrestleMania crowd.

I am hoping to see Ambrose get a push. Despite the fact that he hasn't received the push Reigns and Rollins have recieved, Ambrose seems to be over more than them while being mired in the mid card. I'd love to see him get a push. Anyone else agree?

This post was edited on 4/2 9:34 PM by PGthirteen13

Rollins was decided on along time ago. Probably after Reigns couldn't get the reaction they wanted at RR honestly. It might be tough to handle for you heisman and I'm sorry about that, but Vince is too stubborn to change something with that kind of impact last minute.

That's crazy that Reigns was under the impression he was winning until an hour before the match. It also, explains Rollins telling him thank you during the pin.

LOL geez I don't know what over the last 3 months could have made them change their minds about putting the title on Reigns.

Really I'm just giving you a hard time, but who knows honestly. There was plenty of ammo for the change if it was a change.......just because reigns thought it doesn't mean anything, I mean the report says Lesnar was supposed to be at the today show or whatever the next morning right?

My thing is fans had predicted since RR that Rollins would somehow do what he did. Hard to believe that Vince, possibly the most stubborn billionaire, would say yep the fans are right at the very last minute. If it was last minute they must have really busted their chops to put together RAW like they did.

There just really is no telling. Hell it could have been a plan that was discussed and planned out "just in case" all along.

I thought it was genius booking and if the plan was made ahead of time well in advance, kudos to them for playing it close to the chest. Too many cool things in wrestling are ruined by the dirt sheets.

I think they had no choice and it really does help everyone involved. For one, if you believe in Reigns, you don't want his title win to be shat on right now when everyone expected him to win it. Bide your time and if you still feel like he's the man, put it on him at SummerSlam or Survivor Series and do it in a triple threat Shield match so everyone is on board and there's no Daniel Bryan fans freaking out.

But like BKH, I don't believe this was made waaay in advance. I absolutely believe Lesnar resigning is why we got this finish. If Brock leaves, no way WWE lets him leave without being pinned cleanly. As soon as that contract was signed, WWE had to appease Lesnar and make him look strong but get the title off of him. How else do you do that?

Have Rollins cash-in and pin Reigns. It accomplishes a lot of things...for one, it gives the smarks what they want with a Rollins win (I'm happy), it makes Lesnar look like a monster which helps for build up for future matches, and you allowed Reigns to look good by hurting the beast, gives him sympathy by being close but having his title snatched at the last second, and you satisfy the fans who were pissed that Reigns won the rumble and didn't want him to win the title at Mania. So he pays his dues and I doubt fans get as vocal and pissed like they did the past two months if he gets another shot.

But like BKH, I don't believe this was made waaay in advance. I absolutely believe Lesnar resigning is why we got this finish. If Brock leaves, no way WWE lets him leave without being pinned cleanly. As soon as that contract was signed, WWE had to appease Lesnar and make him look strong but get the title off of him. How else do you do that?
My gut feeling is that Brock announced he was re-signing on Thursday and they all met the next day to come up with a different finish. I just feel like that thing was carried out too well to have been devised with an hour left in the show.

What I would like to know is how in the hell did HHH convince Brock to drop the title after he turned down UFC and re-signed ? I mean yeah he knows he is losing if he is leaving, but a new contract and lose ? Maybe they used the "we had you planned to lose, can't rewrite it now." None of the Steph promo " I own you, you son of a bitch" (which I thought she did a hell of a job) had anything to do with it. I really think they signed him for more than they would have normally just to convince him to drop the belt, let Rollins and Reigns feud begin. It has been brewing for a while, maybe this is where Dean Ambrose goes heel turn, helps Seth win over Reigns, becomes a "Authority" member, gets a big push.

Lesnar got paid, and gets off until Summerslam. Pretty sure that is all he needed.

Call me an Ambrose homer, but Ambrose doesn't need a heel push. He is one of the best pops, and best sellers currently without any push. Face push only makes sense at this point. Just my opinion.

Ambrose turning heel would be awful because he's one of the most consistently popular guys on the roster now. There's a time for it, just not now.

And I actually think Ambrose has been in the middle of a "push" for a few months now, where he has all these big matches and loses them. Think of how many guys in wrestling have gotten the "can't win the big one" angle before they broke through. I think this is what's happening with Ambrose now, and it will culminate in a big win for him by the end of the year.

Heisman touched on it, but it makes the most sense to believe the Rollins plan was already in place and just modified once Brock re-signed.

I think initially, when Brock was leaving, the plan was for Brock to dominate Reigns, Reigns fights back like he did and appears ready to pick up the belt like everyone expects, and Rollins steals it at the last second by pinning Brock. It lets Reigns appear to be the valid champ, he doesn't have to lose to Rollins so he remains strong, Brock loses since he's going out anyway, and sets up the perfect Reigns/Rollins feud.

Once Brock was coming back, you can't let him get pinned, so you have the same scenario but with Rollins screwing over his old friend and getting the pin. Reigns had already been battling Lesnar, so he stays strong after appearing to be about to beat the monster and doesn't look weak for getting pinned since Brock looks so strong, makes Reigns sympathetic, gives Brock time off and a motivating storyline, and Rollins gets the strap.

The way they did it keeps the most options open going forward, and that's GREAT for the WWE and fans. Predictable storytelling is the worst, and they avoided it perfectly, to be honest.

I've only become a huge Ambrose fan because my 9 yr old son is crazy about him. He is his fave, new or old. Over Sting even and he loves Sting. I wanna see my son's excitement over an Ambrose WWE Heavyweight title some day. That's what wrestling is about to me. Be a kid again along side my son.

This post was edited on 4/3 2:53 PM by PGthirteen13

Yeah, came here to say AJ Lee had retired but Blueblood beat me to it. Kind of shocked that it took this long and I suppose it was to be expected after the Punk legal issues and the tweet to Steph.

Definitely going to miss her and glad I got to interview her. Now you know Charlotte and probably Banks is getting called up.

I hate to see here retire but totally understand if that is what she wants to do. With all that has gone on with her husband and knowing how Vince is I can't see the workplace being all that great.

Agree time to call up Sasha Banks and Charlotte.

I'm with everyone else on AJ - retiring, Punk, and life in WWE.

Could see Charlotte settling into the Ronda Rousey feud because of the Horsewomen thing if the writers are clever enough.

Tweet to Steph? That whole situation is comical, and I love Lunk as a character and typically side with the everyday workers but he showed his true colors too which had to be hard to hold back on WWE's side.

I have no idea if this was minority or majority opinion, but I would've been perfectly okay with Lesnar keeping the belt for the rest of the decade:
11117259_1026396414054955_1955458984633480418_n.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT