ADVERTISEMENT

Chrome Extension for New Rivals Board Format

Shawn (uk7spd)

All-American
Gold Member
Nov 2, 2006
A guy on the MB (Main Board for those unfamiliar) posted this. It is pretty awesome and it looks like he plans on adding more options later. I just added it and it makes the main view look at lot better, and similar to the old board. Give it a try.

Created a chrome extension that makes a few changes to the new board look:
  1. Colors threads that you have viewed that have new replies
  2. Hides last post avatar
  3. Hides sidebar
  4. Creates compact thread view
If you don't like it, don't install it. If you do like it, well, enjoy. If you really like it, buy me a beer.

I'll be adding features like an options page at some point. Will open source the code sometime later today.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/...nts/ocolfhpogcchjfldbmjmigpneldphngf?hl=en-US

Love it. Exactly what I was looking for. I like the functionality of the new site, but wasn't loving the look.

Hopefully he adds an option to reduce the amount of wasted space on each post.
Agreed. I don't think the extension applies to the view inside threads at all, but maybe that is possible. I also wish the color he used to highlight threads that you have viewed that have new posts was a little lighter (maybe even a light gray color) because that teal color now just stands out too much for my tastes.

That does look better. Although I'm still not sold on the overall new look, but I'll give it some time. Agree with poster above on all the wasted space on each post.

Good work on the extension by this guy. The new site overall is great, and viewing on mobile is 1000% better than before.

Hopefully he adds an option to reduce the amount of wasted space on each post.
He just said that removing the white space is in the works. Because it is the user info on the left side that is dictating the size of each post, he is going to set it up to where all of the user information is hidden by default except the avatar and username, and then you can hover over that to get other information. Would be great if it works.

He just updated the extension as follows:

Extension updated:

- Hides extra user details, to show on hover
- Replaces round avatars with square, like what was uploaded, max size 96px.

He just said that removing the white space is in the works. Because it is the user info on the left side that is dictating the size of each post, he is going to set it up to where all of the user information is hidden by default except the avatar and username, and then you can hover over that to get other information. Would be great if it works.
That would be lovely, especially since I don't care about any of that info

Makes it feel much better because it's so much easier to find the username and not have to deal with the pointless BS underneath.

do they have anything for firefox? I have an old computer and google no longer updates XP
yes I need a new one,

after changing some preferences, its better, but I like the look of the google updated one, it favors the old look
with a little more jaz,

Reactions: dmaso44
Do you have to download Google Chrome for it to work?
You have to download and use Chrome browser for it to work. Chrome is probably the best browser these days anyway. It is at least as good as Firefox, which I used for years. I switched a few months ago and haven't looked back. Same goes for mobile. The new board format works best on Chrome mobile, although there aren't any extensions on mobile, which is unfortunate.

You have to download and use Chrome browser for it to work. Chrome is probably the best browser these days anyway. It is at least as good as Firefox, which I used for years. I switched a few months ago and haven't looked back. Same goes for mobile. The new board format works best on Chrome mobile, although there aren't any extensions on mobile, which is unfortunate.
Okay thanks a lot! I have always and still use Firefox. I may give chrome a chance, even tho I'm not much on change lol. I have heard nothing but good things about chrome.

If you don't like Chrome, you can use Opera instead. I know the most recent version will support installing Chrome extensions. Just have to download an Opera extension to enable the ability to install Chrome extensions.

My only gripe with Chrome is that it has become a massive memory hog these days. It used to be the browser you'd turn to if you got sick of Firefox being a memory hog, now the shoe is on the other foot.

New update adds additional features, including darkening the usernames so you can see who is posting much easier. Also, the top of the page with all the Rivals branding has been removed, so now there is much less going on when trying to view threads and inside threads. Big improvement. He is eventually going to allow users to customize, but I wouldn't change anything to this point.

This extension is awesome sauce. Board is way better visually, and I already loved the functionality of the new format, so I got no complaints about the board whatsoever.

Did they change something overnight? This extension isn't working the same as yesterday. The color of threads that you've already read isn't there anymore. Guess they're still working out details on RR?

A guy on the MB (Main Board for those unfamiliar) posted this. It is pretty awesome and it looks like he plans on adding more options later. I just added it and it makes the main view look at lot better, and similar to the old board. Give it a try.

3. Hides sidebar
If you don't like it, don't install it. If you do like it, well, enjoy. If you really like it, buy me a beer.

I'll be adding features like an options page at some point. Will open source the code sometime later today.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/...nts/ocolfhpogcchjfldbmjmigpneldphngf?hl=en-US

3. Hides sidebar

Thank you for this link! The extension makes all the difference in the world. I suggest that this information (link) be tacked at the top of the page since it addresses so many of the concerns about the new look.

Did they change something overnight? This extension isn't working the same as yesterday. The color of threads that you've already read isn't there anymore. Guess they're still working out details on RR?
Hmmm, it appears to still be working for me. If you continue having problems, you may want to restart your browser and/or uninstall and then re-install the extension.

I don't know if this is something that can be done via the extension, but can we make it so that if you ignore someone, a thread that person started will still show up? I think the old format had that. Thanks.

New updates. Threads are alternating colors (white/gray) in forum view, and posts inside a thread are also alternating colors to make threads and posts easier to differentiate.

Also, he added an "options" feature for the extension, which allows you to customize the extension by choosing the features that you want.

ADVERTISEMENT