ADVERTISEMENT

Chicago

Because people only eat one meal on each trip to Chicago.

Horrible take Anth.

What makes pizza so great is it can be made so many ways and all be good.

I love NY style, Chicago deep dish style, Neapolitan style. It can all be good.

If I'm in Chicago I'm getting a deep dish at least once.

But if you want to talk overrated Chicago food we can talk about Mortons. Good but nowhere near great. Not even best prime chain steak.

Excellent post. The other idiot has probably had one too many Uno's Pizzeria to form any respectable opinion on Chicago style pie.

Agree on your getting deep dish once, just. I always do, probably always will. Certainly have my favorites (NY, Neo), but I can enjoy all styles of pizza...

But Umm, why TF would you go to a Chain steakhouse that you could eat in Louisville (or any other city) when in a beef mecca like Chicago? Morton's is fine, but that's pretty stupid, you deserved a bad experience imo.

You are making assumptions. I didn't eat at Mortons in Chicago. Just the whole chain isnt one of my favorites and its associated with Chicago.

Two rules of travel I have is never eat at any place they have in Lex and never eat at chains if possible.

Last trip to Chicago I ate at David Burkes for my steak fix and Genos for my pizza fix.

Hey, if you can't tell crap food from quality food that's great news for Applebee's. Have at it redneck.

Chicago black pan filled with ingredients and takes an hour to cook. No, thanks.

If you eat at Morton's in Chicago you should be hit with a heavy blunt object and thrown off the top of the Ferris Wheel. Really it's my least favorite Steak chain, I'll take Ruth's Chris all/air over Morton's. Last 3 trips there have been disappointing. Want a real steak in Chicago, try Bavette's. One of the 2-3 best steakhouses I've eaten. Benny's is excellent as well. Both good classics. I thought Burke's was overrated both times I ate there, love the hotel though.

Chicago is a great culinary town. One of the best with it's cultural diversity. It's just tragic that pizza gets tied in with it.

Hey, if you can't tell crap food from quality food that's great news for Applebee's. Have at it redneck.

Chicago black pan filled with ingredients and takes an hour to cook. No, thanks.

If you eat at Morton's in Chicago you should be hit with a heavy blunt object and thrown off the top of the Ferris Wheel. Really it's my least favorite Steak chain, I'll take Ruth's Chris all/air over Morton's. Last 3 trips there have been disappointing. Want a real steak in Chicago, try Bavette's. One of the 2-3 best steakhouses I've eaten. Benny's is excellent as well. Both good classics. I thought Burke's was overrated both times I ate there, love the hotel though.

Chicago is a great culinary town. One of the best with it's cultural diversity. It's just tragic that pizza gets tied in with it.
FTMFW

Well I'm a redneck who loves pizza and steak and hates Applebee's.

I wanted to try Bavettes but didn't make it. Hope to next time I'm up there.

Malnati's is awesome...but yeah, only do deep dish once. Chicago thin crust is also great with the cracker crust.

If I had one meal in Chicago, it'd be an Italian beef from Portillo's.

Kind of curious that every steak comes with Bernaise. Obviously, you can order without...but I've never seen that before.
Most high end steak houses push their sauces these days. I got mine on the side. It's solid on a few bites but I prefer my steaks plain unless I'm feeling some mushrooms. Place is just so DOPE though. Swanky, manly, bricks, cellar downstairs with non-condescending bartenders(not mixologist), tons of round booths, huge bar upstairs, leather, wood, massive steaks, fresh delicious seafood, huge wedge salads with thick cut bacon, it's loud, has great service. It's gorgeous.

I still need to do Portillo's. I won't leave next time without it. Period. End of story.

Well I'm a redneck who loves pizza and steak and hates Applebee's.

I wanted to try Bavettes but didn't make it. Hope to next time I'm up there.
Roll in and put your name on the list and head down to the cellar and drink til they get you in OR just eat at the bar. I don't mind eating at the bar in a place like that. You'll never get a reasonable reservation though so thats the only way. We rolled in on a Saturday night at like 8:30 and we're seated about 9:!5 if I remember correctly.

Portillo's is basically a food court....but it's great. Pretty much every Chicago staple under one roof.

I preferred Al's just for beef, but all around Portillo's has way more stuff....both are awesome.

First of all it's not pizza. Second it's terrible. True Chicago foodies are embarrassed by it. City has way more to offer that isn't that ridiculous pan of bullshit.

People from Chicago say the only time they eat Chicago style pizza is when visitors come to town and the visitors insist on having deep dish pizza.

Reactions: anthonys735
People from Chicago say the only time they eat Chicago style pizza is when visitors come to town and the visitors insist on having deep dish pizza.

Same could be said about New Yorkers of their pie, Philly about their cheesesteaks and so on. Tourists aren't the only ones keeping these places open.

Lol, New Yorkers defend their pizza more than anyone defends anything in the entire world...and basically refuse to even eat it anywhere else.

Any more terrible takes, UpstateNYCat?

Benny's is tits. The ambiance is unreal and it's maybe the best filet I've ever had.

Pequod's is the best pizza I've taken down in The Windy One. Could eat their caramelized crust for days.

- Not a foodie at all but love eating in Chicago.

- Big fan of Gibsons (although the douche factor at the bar is pretty high). Also like Tavern on Rush across the street.

- I've taken a food rec from BBdK once and it was Pequods. Spot on. Call ahead order for the small is plenty for 2.

Wasn't a big fan of the clam pie. I'd try it again, maybe as a 1/2, was really hard to eat it whole, which my fatass did. Did like the potato pie at Sally's, that was interesting. Favorite place down there is Louis Lunch, love that little burger joint.

Pepe's - 1/2 sausage/cheese Clam w/white sauce.

LJiFdqT.jpg

Sallys - Potato, Sausage
EeAqj0m.jpg

Last edited:
AND THAT ^ my friends is pizza. Finest ingredients. A dichotomy of rustic and delicate, a balance of not too much of one thing overpowering the next, crispy and chewy... Foldable and blistered.

Chicago cheese-meat cake thing is none of the above and resembles nothing concocted in Italy, except maybe a pizza chienna which is more of a quiche.

I prefer Louis, but shit is good.
DB5oKqw.jpg
Louis' hamburger is cooked on an original vertical gas broiler from the early 1900's (I believe), served on white bread, no ketchup in the house - which makes Ollies Trolley look commodious.

Louis' hamburger is cooked on an original vertical gas broiler from the early 1900's (I believe), served on white bread, no ketchup in the house - which makes Ollies Trolley look commodious.

And the shocker is how good their potato salad is... Holy fudge is it good.

Reactions: Kooky Kats
Tourists alone aren't keeping all of those pizza places open. What kind of pizza are Chicagoans ordering? Papa John's? I know a lot of people from Chicago and they love that style pizza.

Tommy, no love for Vito and Nick's or Santullo's ? Both thin crust. Would have figured a Chicagoan like you would have at least tried it.

Same could be said about New Yorkers of their pie, Philly about their cheesesteaks and so on. Tourists aren't the only ones keeping these places open.

Having lived in Philly for 6 years, I can tell you that people in Philly love their cheesesteaks. It's not a tourist thing. And pizza, living in NJ taught me that the only pizza people in that area eat is NY style pizza.

Tommy, no love for Vito and Nick's or Santullo's ? Both thin crust. Would have figured a Chicagoan like you would have at least tried it.

Leave that shtick to Adrian.

Thin crust I usually go to Tony's Deli in Little Italy. Also some good spots in the suburbs like Il Forno.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT