ADVERTISEMENT

Charles Matthews senior season mixtape out now

people keep saying he's a bad shooter but his form is perfect

He has a shooting coach. Same one that Tyler Ulis had. All I know is that he's deadly out to mid-range, his 3 point shot could use some improvement though, but he has terrific form. I don't see how it couldn't improve. As long as he stays with that coach up until he gets to UK, I'll trust his shot quite a bit.

I think he will be a solid player, but please disregard mix tapes...they make all kids look like Kobe.

Last edited:
Hope he spends the summer getting more comfortable with his left hand. This kid has me excited though. Lanky. Gets above the rim easily. Has a frame that can hold quite a bit more muscle. Hope we get him for at least two years.

This. I really hope the OP isn't basing his opinion of Matthew's game off of mixtapes.

No, basing my evaluation of him off of watching his games.
Although, watching the many mixtapes they put out on these guys will give you a pretty good idea of how they play. As I said though, basing it off of his actual games that I've watched.

Mix tapes do show athleticism, ball-handling, quickness, getting to the rim skills, shooting, etc.

So they do provide a glimpse into a guy's capabilities....Not all tapes can make a guy look like Kobe.....Only if the guy has similar athleticism.....

Sincerely doubt a mix tape could make Kyle Wiltjer look like Kobe :)

Reactions: Brando Mac
Mix tapes do show athleticism, ball-handling, quickness, getting to the rim skills, shooting, etc.

So they do provide a glimpse into a guy's capabilities....Not all tapes can make a guy look like Kobe.....Only if the guy has similar athleticism.....

Sincerely doubt a mix tape could make Kyle Wiltjer look like Kobe :)

You must not remember the summer of Hunter McClintock.

No, basing my evaluation of him off of watching his games.
Although, watching the many mixtapes they put out on these guys will give you a pretty good idea of how they play. As I said though, basing it off of his actual games that I've watched.
If your opinion is based off of watching games, then I will definitely put more weight to your opinion.

I disagree about the mixtapes giving a pretty good indication of how they play. It's literally 2-3 minutes of a kid's entire time on the court. Any kid in the top-100 is going to look great for a two minutes highlight tape.

If your opinion is based off of watching games, then I will definitely put more weight to your opinion.

I disagree about the mixtapes giving a pretty good indication of how they play. It's literally 2-3 minutes of a kid's entire time on the court. Any kid in the top-100 is going to look great for a two minutes highlight tape.

"Although, watching the many mixtapes they put on these guys will give you a pretty good idea of how they play."
Not just one, there are many of them, where they play in different places. There are quite a few mixtapes over Matthews of him playing in different places. AAU ball (which he cut short, which may have a bit to do with his ranking), high school, NBA top 100 camp, etc.

I moreso look at mixtapes to tell what a player can't do. If it's full of crossovers and fancy layups, the guy probably doesn't shoot very well and probably can't dunk or you would see it in the mixtape. The mixtapes do a good job of showing athleticism, post moves, footwork, passing and shot blocking. The crossover reels are a waste of time because that type of play does not translate to the next level.

He's got a lot more muscle mass than he did last year despite being relatively skinny. His body reminds me of cases Prather who was a twig coming out of high school and by his junior year was swollen up top to allow more contact. I think his body and role will be very similar to Prather at UF. Role player who grows into his body and becomes a key as he gets older.

Reminds me a little of MKG

I said the same thing. Similar ability in terms of slashing, MKG had a few more finesse moves than I've seen from Matthews, and I like Matthews' shot much, much more than MKG's. MKG was about an inch taller, and 30 pounds heavier when he came in though (I'm wagering that Matthews weighs about 190-195 now, there's no way that's 175#)

The 6’6 guard averaged 22 points and 6 rebounds a game, shooting 47% from the field as a senior. He's certainly uber athletic with good ball handling skills. He has the ability to hit some shots and talented enough to come in and contribute right away. I look forward to watching him on the court this fall.

I see no reason he can't come in and start at the 3 right away. He is a terror on the defensive end, and he is a more than capable offensive weapon. Some sleep on him because he has that label of a 4 star, but he will be very valuable next year.

Reactions: bigc45157
I see no reason he can't come in and start at the 3 right away. He is a terror on the defensive end, and he is a more than capable offensive weapon. Some sleep on him because he has that label of a 4 star, but he will be very valuable next year.

A lot of people don't understand that he was a 5 star, top 15 player. His rankings took a big hit when he got injured, and when he recovered, he lost no skill or athleticism. He didn't go back on the AAU circuit following that injury, which is a pretty good explanation why his ranking never really rose after that. He said he wasn't going to risk injury playing AAU ball when he feels that he has a lot of work to put in for himself and for UK.
The difference between where he is now in the rankings, and top 10 isn't as far as people think. Jamal Murray made that leap in rankings after one very good game that Matthews is just as capable of playing. The playing styles are different, but the point is the same.
Matthews did average 22 points and 6 rebounds per game, and shot 47% from the field though in what is most likely the best basketball city in the US, and he did bring St. Rita's back from the ashes to beat perennial powerhouses like Simeon.
The kid is very, very good.

Looking at that tape and considering he is known as a better defender than offensive player, I could easily be convinced that he's a top 10 prospect next season. I have a hard time believing that he'll do anything but be extremely solid at UK right from the start. I look forward to seeing him play.

I really enjoyed that. You can tell he'll need to tighten his handle, but his length and athleticism are very impressive. He knows how to attack the rim and often looks smooth finishing through contact. Also, that step back looks to be promising.

Here's another for you guys, to reflect a bit. Shows a bit more finesse to his game also. This one is from a year ago, displays more of his slashing ability, and that step-back jumper that I'm assuming is his signature jumpshot from mid-range. Looks like that thing has been in his skill-set for a while. UK tends to go very far when they have a wing player with this kind of slashing ability.

Reactions: bigc45157
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT