ADVERTISEMENT

Chance to defend Cal if you so choose...

For all the complainers, I acknowledge Cal has faults; he is human, after all.

But before you bitch, name me three coaches who can do what Cal has done in the last few years. You can't. You really can only name one, and that's K. There is literally no one out there that we could hire that can do half of what he's done, issues and all, so...

S

T

F

U

How do you get that he's "getting ripped" there? I thought that piece explained the quote and its context quite fairly.

Ease up on the paranoia, folks. Just because someone talks about a controversial statement by Cal does not mean they're ripping him. Cal damn well knew he was saying something that would provoke discussion when he made the statement, and this writer analyzed it objectively and fairly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sawnee Cat
I have said it many times on here, the bottom line is, I feel we should have won titles in 2010 and this past year. You will be hard pressed to find any team in NCAA history more talented than those 2 teams, and we have zero titles to show for either season. Call me a troll til your blue in the face, I could not care less. Facts are facts, and the fact is Cal has under-achieved in comparison to the talent he has brought in here. I am not saying we should fire him before any dumb remarks come in, I am just calling it how I see it.
You are a troll!! If Cal has under achieved in you dumbass opinion, feel free to go pull for ul.

Should of won the title this year but just like the writer of the article and many of fans miss is Cal is saying all these thigs for recruiting and recruiting alone. 6 years later and so many people are dense to this. It really makes me shake my head.

Should of won the title this year but just like the writer of the article and many of fans miss is Cal is saying all these thigs for recruiting and recruiting alone. 6 years later and so many people are dense to this. It really makes me shake my head.

No, the writer did NOT miss that.. Criminy, did you even read the piece?

How do you get that he's "getting ripped" there? I thought that piece explained the quote and its context quite fairly.

Ease up on the paranoia, folks. Just because someone talks about a controversial statement by Cal does not mean they're ripping him. Cal damn well knew he was saying something that would provoke discussion when he made the statement, and this writer analyzed it objectively and fairly.

Should've clarified....getting ripped in the comment section.

My bad..

No, the writer did NOT miss that.. Criminy, did you even read the piece?
The writer did miss the major point Cal shouldn't dance around his words. He even wrote "maybe this time he'll stop short of saying this is the greatest night in UK's history." Why? The players first thing has brought in all this top talent, Final Fours and a title. Draft night gets these kids here, not the banners on the wall.
Cal's being honest. The players' goals are to get to the NBA. I'm sure titles are nice to these kids and a goal during the season but let's not fool ourselves, it's not the ultimate goal. So some fans get upset they aren't here 4 years, they aren't here for the jersey. Tough. The goal is winning, and that's what is happening here.

No the writer isn't going after Cal and I'm not saying that, but Cal is recruiting 24/7 and shouldn't apologize for anything he says outside the court when it comes to these players' goals.

Last edited:
If Cal would have said the top goal was getting 8 guys to complete their degrees and move on to lucrative careers in the business, industrial, medical, or whatever fields, he would have received nothing but praise. Nobody would have thought twice about that being a bigger priority for the young men than winning a championship. Why is preparing them to move on to a lucrative career in the NBA looked down upon? They will have the opportunity to make more money in a few short years than they would have in 40 years in most of the careers that completing their degrees would have prepared them for. What they do with that opportunity is up to them, but that is true of any career opportunity that presents itself. I do not see a problem with Cal saying that preparing these young men for their future (in this case a future in the NBA) is more important than winning a championship.

While I get what he is saying and I appreciate it, it may be getting to the point that he needs to worry about the fans. I am not one that cares how long players stay if it means they leave for the NBA. "Education" is overrated. You go to college to increase your success in your field of choice. For them, that's basketball, and the NBA is success. I support that. However the other side of this program is the fans. None of this is possible without them donating, attending, and supporting. As a fan, if I can no longer cheer the players (because none of them stay) and I can no longer cheer for a championship (because it is not a priority), there is little left to cheer for. I think this is something Cal needs to be aware of. I love that he is always recruiting, but a little respect for the backbone that keeps the program running long-term (the fans) wouldn't hurt. We want championships and a little lip service to that fact wouldn't hurt. In a season like we just had there won't be much complaining anyway, but in a down year? With a coach who is out preaching that he doesn't care if we win championships? It could get ugly.

ADVERTISEMENT