ADVERTISEMENT

Can Marquis Teague switch Summer League teams this late?

will1976

Sophomore
Dec 10, 2003
Clarksville, IN
I will always be a fan of Teague. Is it possible to switch to a coach who will use him? It seems another Nbdl season is upcoming which is still pay for play. His year of transformation under Cal was fun to watch. I expected at least a Sophomore season for Marquis at UK, but I cannot blame him for cashing in with the NBA.

Teague likely had minimal offers, which is why he decided to join the stacked OKC.

Safe to say his NBA career is over. He made $3M and made his dream come true, so he'll be fine.

Financially he'd be better off if he played in China or Europe for the rest of his career as he is pretty much done in the NBA.

Wasn't he supposed to have a higher ceiling at one time than his older bro? Recruiting is an educated guess longterm. Good luck Marquis! Lets hope he can get a ten day contract, and possibly stick with a team.

I feel like he was an example of someone who would have benefited from another year or two in college. I could be wrong though with the way the 2013 team turned out.

Wasn't he supposed to have a higher ceiling at one time than his older bro? Recruiting is an educated guess longterm. Good luck Marquis! Lets hope he can get a ten day contract, and possibly stick with a team.

I used to work in recruiting a little bit and I can tell you for a fact Marquis had 2 major problems. Zero work ethic, and he thought he made it when Jeff did so he didn't have anything to strive for in his mind. His ceiling was thought to be higher than Jeff's and if he would of worked hard he could of been as good or better. He played the game of basketball and the game of life the same way, spoiled. He literally has no chance to ever make it. He's to content with being in Jeff's entourage for year's to come.

Reactions: will1976
yea, I'm not sure how many people remember this but it was made public, but Jeff explicitly told Marquis he wasn't ready and he needed to come back, Cal agreed but we now how that ended. He didn't want to listen or work. Same for Doron really except he didn't have the millionaire big brother.

Reactions: will1976
I was under the impression Marquis didn't really like classes and was tired of the whole college thing. I think he was a one and done guy in his mind before he ever stepped on Campus. But it kinda worked out for him. He got 1st round money and has his brother's money to fall back on. Sure, he could of used a 2nd year but he didn't want it so there would no point in coming back. Glad he was our PG in 2012, wouldn't of won it without him.

I agree with the work ethic post. (Not that it matters) Some have it, some don't. You cannot succeed at a high level without a tremendous work ethic. If he can somehow change his outlook and mindset, he can succeed. He may be satisfied already, if so, that is on him. He is a Cat.

Teague likely had minimal offers, which is why he decided to join the stacked OKC.

Safe to say his NBA career is over. He made $3M and made his dream come true, so he'll be fine.
He'll be fine? What a bizarre post... I doubt his dream was to have his nba "career" play out like it has.

I guess if his brother keeps him on his payroll, he'll be okay, but I'd be amazed if he has 250k left from his rookie contract after taxes, agents, and living the "baller" lifestyle.

He'll be fine? What a bizarre post... I doubt his dream was to have his nba "career" play out like it has.

I guess if his brother keeps him on his payroll, he'll be okay, but I'd be amazed if he has 250k left from his rookie contract after taxes, agents, and living the "baller" lifestyle.

Yeah, but he can go overseas and make pretty good money for the next 15 years if he wants. Now he has to handle his money better since he won't make as much as in the NBA, but he could save up quite a bit if he wants.

I used to work in recruiting a little bit and I can tell you for a fact Marquis had 2 major problems. Zero work ethic, and he thought he made it when Jeff did so he didn't have anything to strive for in his mind. His ceiling was thought to be higher than Jeff's and if he would of worked hard he could of been as good or better. He played the game of basketball and the game of life the same way, spoiled. He literally has no chance to ever make it. He's to content with being in Jeff's entourage for year's to come.

If true thats unfortunate. It makes sense though. With how successful he was in his freshmen year at UK and how successful Jeff has been it seems bizarre that he isn't good enough to at least be a solid backup point guard in the league. If you wold have told me that he wouldn't at least establish himself at that level after he left I would've said you're crazy. Obviously I was mistaken. I still believe had Marquis put in the time and effort he could have been a solid pro.

But as others have said he still will be able to have a career overseas and make more money then any of us. And he's still young so maybe going overseas for a few years will get him going. He's still very young so he could easily make a return to the league. Its not going to be easy though.

I feel like he was an example of someone who would have benefited from another year or two in college. I could be wrong though with the way the 2013 team turned out.

Well the one glaring thing that team was missing was a PG. If Teague and Lamb return like they should've and Nerlens doesnt go down...that's the difference between NIT first round loser and a National Championship.

Nothing bizarre about it. Guy earned $ none of us will ever see and made it to the stage millions of kids around the world dream of and never accomplish. Its not like his pro career is over, he'll still find ways to make money off the game he loves.

I dunno. I can easily see a scenario where he comes back and gets exposed once he has more of the load to carry. If the work ethic thing is true, he would have ended up here anyway.

Wasn't he supposed to have a higher ceiling at one time than his older bro?

Absolutely. In fact, in terms of development he and his brother were polar OPPOSITES.

In high school, Marquis was the No. 1 rated point in the country, a guy every powerhouse school in the country wanted, whereas Jeff was a lower-rated late bloomer that all the big time schools ignored (hence why he ended up at Wake Forest). But in college and the pros they went the completely opposite direction, Marquis seemed to stop improving, whereas Jeff exploded and became a big time star (and current NBA All Star).

Not sure what that means, but I do think it's kinda fascinating how two brothers with virtually the exact same genes, background, size and athleticism levels can follow such completely opposite developmental paths.

Last edited:
Reactions: will1976 and BBUK
Absolutely. In fact, in terms of development he and his brother were polar OPPOSITES.

In high school, Marquis was the No. 1 rated point in the country, a guy every powerhouse school in the country wanted, whereas Jeff was a lower-rated late bloomer that all the big time schools ignored (hence why he ended up at Wake Forest). But in college and the pros they went the completely opposite direction, Marquis seemed to stop improving, whereas Jeff exploded and became a genuine star (and current NBA All Star).

Not sure what that means, but I do think it's kinda fascinating how two brothers with virtually the exact same genes, background, size and athleticism levels can follow such completely opposite developmental paths.

So, you're saying it's in the "jeans"? :)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT