ADVERTISEMENT

Calvin Taylor commits (2015 class)

Definitely needs a RS year but could be a player by his RS soph year. Interesting potential.

Originally posted by ukgolfnut1:

Not much of an offer sheet,mabey after a red shirt he be ok,hope so
Got to think/wonder if he was late to qualify. Saw on another site that Ga Tech supposedly offered.

Solid pickup, can't teach his size. Don't except much from him until his Junior year though. Extremely raw.

vhcat70 posted on 3/29/2015...

Should move our class ranking into the top 25.

Not the way Rivals rankings work. They only count the top 20 rated commits, and we only have two players not rated a three star or above, so adding another two star won't add any points. Help our class, yes, help our ranking, no. Also he is listed as committed, not signed.

Not much info to be gathered from their recruiting section now, no numerical ratings, forty times, etc at all, they all have NaN filled in. Apparently all the players lost their ratings or something, not sure what NaN stands for, not Sodium Nitrogen, they don't bond as far as I remember.

He played basketball as his first sport. I don't think he played football but two years and I don't think they were consecutive years. That's why he was so lightly recruited no one really knew much of anything about him. He moves really well for his size he's is going to bat down a ton of passes

Don't like it

Hate burning a `15 ride on an extreme project that is years away from helping when we coulda carried that slot over and fill with a `16 player closer to being ready to playing SEC football.

Originally posted by JHB4UK:
Don't like it

Hate burning a `15 ride on an extreme project that is years away from helping when we coulda carried that slot over and fill with a `16 player closer to being ready to playing SEC football.
I can't disagree too much unless the coaches feel they can grow him into a really athletic left OT...then maybe you take a chance on him.

Originally posted by TriangleUKCat:

Originally posted by jmalone7us:

Justin Rowland says he is expected to be a DE
Interesting. Makes sense given his relatively low weight for an OT. Thanks for the update.

A lot of high school OT'S are about this size.

Originally posted by vhcat70:

Originally posted by TeoJ:

A lot of high school OT'S are about this size.
Yes, I see 6-9 HS T's all over the place.
There are even taller ones, but most of them get overlooked-------you should see how tall some of those talent scouts are.

One big advantage Marrow has, he isn't too much over 6' tall, and Stoops isn't even that tall.

Don't like it

A class of '15 RS will see the field the same year a true freshman '16 would...the '16 player at the same position (either DE or OT) would probably need a RS to compete against SEC caliber players, so the '15 guy would be a 3rd year RS SOPH at the same time.

If they think this guy can help after a couple years (which obviously they do), then good on them...

JBH4UK wrote: Don't like it

Hate burning a `15 ride on an extreme project that is years away from helping when we coulda carried that slot over and fill with a `16 player closer to being ready to playing SEC football

Since the football team has 85 scholarship players and walk on status athletes, the staff can choose a late qualifier. There was a spot open and they decided to fill that spot with Calvin Taylor. I trust our coaching staff! GBB

He has a lot of work to do on maintaining a good pad level (as you might expect) but certainly does appear to be a good athlete who moves well and plays the game with good energy.

He looks like a potential mid-major basketball power forward who is instead opting to play football. I commend the staff for taking on the project. The potential reward outweighs the risk in my opinion.

I can assure you he will play on our place kick coverage team from Day 1.
eek.r191677.gif

Don't like it

counter-argument: they have the roster space and it's worth taking a flyer on a kid with those measurables; especially if they don't see a JUCO they both want and who can enroll by next spring IOT count against the '15 class.

a lot of signees won't contribute for years, this one will be no different except he'll also be 6'9''.

He hasn't played much and has played horrific competition - his school probably has a graduating class of 35-40 kids. They don't even play Class A ball but play in an independent church league vs mostly teams from South Carolina.

Originally posted by ARC Dog:
He hasn't played much and has played horrific competition - his school probably has a graduating class of 35-40 kids. They don't even play Class A ball but play in an independent church league vs mostly teams from South Carolina.
Sounds like you think he isn't worth a look...

This one makes you scratch your head. If the staff has lowered the bar on recruits then I really don't want to hear no more about Jokers recruits.

He hasn't played much and has played horrific competition - his school probably has a graduating class of 35-40 kids. They don't even play Class A ball but play in an independent church league vs mostly teams from South Carolina

Hey a school with 120 students 9-12 could not support a football team period and personally I don't care about your opinion .We have a good Georgia poster that visits named Grumpyolddawg (sp) Very well respected. I trust coach Stoops and staff. I think we get the last laugh here not you!

Originally posted by GusVanRan:

Don't like it

counter-argument: they have the roster space and it's worth taking a flyer on a kid with those measurables; especially if they don't see a JUCO they both want and who can enroll by next spring IOT count against the '15 class.

a lot of signees won't contribute for years, this one will be no different except he'll also be 6'9''.
+1

That wasn't an opinion on him but moreso a comment as to why he could be overlooked or why he's raw. I assure you the school is that small - I drive past it all the time. It has less than 700 kids pre-k through 12th grade and has bigger classes in the lower grades. That is why they don't play in Georgia's Class A league like other small schools but play against similarly sized schools at even a smaller level - they have to go to places like Charleston, SC area to find games. Thats fact. This is sometimes a really touchy board - its just football, loosen up.

Really don't think ARC Dog was being negative, just giving us some info. UK wasn't desperate to take another player in the '15 class, so for them to take someone this raw means they really see something in him. I doubt the kid was even scouted by very many FCS schools. It's all good.

Boom Williams played in GA's smallest classification as did Herschel Walker - both against suspect opposition - they turned out okay...

Originally posted by Smashcat:
as did Herschel Walker

Didn't know that. Cool.
You gotta love Kentucky fans, we sign a complete unknown from a tiny school in Georgia, and someone brings up Herschel Walker.
roll.r191677.gif

(That being said, I am on board with this kid, he is clearly a project, but we have the ride available . . . so why not? I would not worry about wasting the scholarship either. There are ways to make room on the roster if things don't work out down the road.)

Reactions: bradyjames
That wasn't an opinion on him but moreso a comment as to why he could be overlooked or why he's raw. I assure you the school is that small - I drive past it all the time. It has less than 700 kids pre-k through 12th grade and has bigger classes in the lower grades. That is why they don't play in Georgia's Class A league like other small schools but play against similarly sized schools at even a smaller level - they have to go to places like Charleston, SC area to find games. Thats fact. This is sometimes a really touchy board - its just football, loosen up.
Don't forget it wasn't too long ago some rural states, Kansas, Neb, etc, played 6-man football. May still. Not saying college recruiters beat a path to such places but kids have come out of those schools to play college football.

Originally posted by Tskware:
as did Herschel Walker

Didn't know that. Cool.
You gotta love Kentucky fans, we sign a complete unknown from a tiny school in Georgia, and someone brings up Herschel Walker.
roll.r191677.gif

(That being said, I am on board with this kid, he is clearly a project, but we have the ride available . . . so why not? I would not worry about wasting the scholarship either. There are ways to make room on the roster if things don't work out down the road.)
Does that really read like I was comparing Taylor to Walker?

Originally posted by DACats86:

as did Herschel Walker

Didn't know that. Cool.
roll.r191677.gif

Wow!!! We got a guy as good as Hershel Walker!!!!!??????????............ Cool

Originally posted by DACats86:

as did Herschel Walker

Didn't know that. Cool.
roll.r191677.gif

Come on now, just having some fun.

ADVERTISEMENT