ADVERTISEMENT

Calipari talks new UK team, negative recruiting

This quote by Cal nearly made me spit my beer out.

"“The guys that come have great success,” Calipari said. “But I always tell kids, if you have any doubt don’t come here. Wrong place. I would say the same thing for a coach. If there is doubt in your mind, you can’t coach here. You’ll end up in a fetal position under a desk.”

Hilarious.

I would say the same thing for a coach. If there is doubt in your mind, you can’t coach here. You’ll end up in a fetal position under a desk.
Jab at Slice?

I would say the same thing for a coach. If there is doubt in your mind, you can’t coach here. You’ll end up in a fetal position under a desk.
Jab at Slice?

Not remotely. Just something he's learned as the coach here. And he's right.

I honestly think we saw a lot of this with this year's class. It had a lot of guys who may not be sure of themselves or their ability to be one and done or match the group before them. Would explain their choice of schools, staying close to home, etc.

player who Calipari thinks could break out big time is Lee, the slender 6-9 forward.

“Marcus could have played for anybody last year,” Calipari said. “So you would ask, ‘Why not more time for Marcus?’ Well, are you going to get time from the No. 1 pick in the draft (Karl-Anthony Towns) or the No. 4 or 5 pick in the draft (Willie Cauley-Stein). Which one are you taking time from?

“Marcus was definitely behind those two, but now it’s his time,” Calipari predicted. “I think he’s prepared. He’s a great kid, a hard worker. I want him to play with a smile on his face and go do what he does.”

Reactions: bigc45157
I'm practically in a fetal position for games as a fan, so yeah...he's right.

Reading that makes me wish Kenny Payne would go caveman on somebody talkin' nonsense.

Reactions: bigc45157
Marcus can be explosive that's for sure. He needs to really focus on free throws and moves around the basket. He rarely scores unless it's a lob or put back.

If Marcus can further develop his turnaround jumper he'd be a more dynamic player on offense. With his length and athleticism he should be pretty hard to stop. I don't think the game has fully slowed down for him yet, but we've seen flashes of his potential brilliance.

I'm practically in a fetal position for games as a fan, so yeah...he's right.

Reading that makes me wish Kenny Payne would go caveman on somebody talkin' nonsense.

Kenny Payne is definitely the muscle on the coaching staff! I wonder if we play any schools that have negatively recruited against UK? I'd love to see Kenny throw the bench a stare down after a big play.

“When you come here it will be more than you ever thought,” he said. “But I’m not going to tell you that you will start, play 35 minutes, take every shot and have the offense running through you the whole time. But the bottom line, my best shooters shoot the most shots. My best ball handlers have the ball most. That’s just how it is. My best players play the most minutes. That’s been my whole career.”

Send Jamal Murray the link

Reactions: SosaUK
Slice will realize once Mullin is fired from St. John's in a few that he made a terrible decision. He won't be asked to coach here again. Billy Donovan was, is, and will probably be the only man on this earth to be asked more than once. Personally, Slice never seemed like a UK guy to me. Wasn't sad to see him go in the least. He's a GTA character, he belongs in NY.

Very nice read, always enjoying readig what coach or the players have to say about the inner workings of the program.

Slice will realize once Mullin is fired from St. John's in a few that he made a terrible decision. He won't be asked to coach here again. Billy Donovan was, is, and will probably be the only man on this earth to be asked more than once. Personally, Slice never seemed like a UK guy to me. Wasn't sad to see him go in the least. He's a GTA character, he belongs in NY.

Could definitely see him on a GTA loading screen lol

Jab at Slice?
By now, everyone should know that Calipari doesn't take cheap shots at other people through the media. Unfortunately, the reverse is not true.

I'm excited to see how we adjust to our talent next year. I honestly think next season will be more enjoyable, especially without all the undefeated talk.

Eh, what? Slice will get the head coaching job if Mullin gets fired. He's from New York and St John's is his ultimate destination from a total package. Kentucky is a great program but St John's offered him more overall.

Eh, what? Slice will get the head coaching job if Mullin gets fired. He's from New York and St John's is his ultimate destination from a total package. Kentucky is a great program but St John's offered him more overall.

Mullins gets fired and you think St. John's is going to hire Slice so he can keep most of the staff that got Mullins fired in the first place? Really dumb take.

BTW Kentucky is the best college program

ADVERTISEMENT