ADVERTISEMENT

Calipari confident Skal will be eligible to start the season

• Thread starter anon_9qtxg60vqzy0y
  • Start date
For the record: I don't think there'll be any problems with Skal's eligibility.

For the record: I don't have a lot of confidence in the NCAA and how they choose to apply their own rules.

Reactions: brianpoe
For the record: I don't think there'll be any problems with Skal's eligibility.

For the record: I don't have a lot of confidence in the NCAA and how they choose to apply their own rules.

Best post of the thread and one that everyone should pay attention to. I don't think there is anyone here that is skeptical of Skal's camp as much as they are skeptical of the NCAA. The paranoia is justified especially when you don't have to go too far back (Kanter) to see the NCAA's crookedness. NO ONE here knows how the NCAA will handle anything.

He was confident Kanter would be able to play and spoke on camera how the NCAA would be setting a bad precedent for foreign players. However, Cal didn't realize they have the Kentucky-only rule as it was never explained how the West Virginia player with the same exact background from Turkey was eventually allowed to play, as were several others with similar circumstances.

I hope there is no issue with Skal, but just because you want that to be the case, and post how you are confident, that means nothing in reality. Until he is playing I won't be surprised by anything the NCAA pulls.

Way different set of circumstances.

I mean classes are starting up in a few weeks so I would think that if the NCAA is going to say anything it would be soon. I know that he is officially a part of the team at this moment. It's just a matter of the NCAA finding something that can impact his amateur status which I don't think they will.

Glad to hear Cal is confident and I look forward to the upcoming season with Skal and the rest. Of course a lot of us are leery of Emmert and the NCAA with good reason. They are one of the most hated and reviled organizations in America.

NCAA-Shot_zps6fa7b1b8.gif

Best post of the thread and one that everyone should pay attention to. I don't think there is anyone here that is skeptical of Skal's camp as much as they are skeptical of the NCAA. The paranoia is justified especially when you don't have to go too far back (Kanter) to see the NCAA's crookedness. NO ONE here knows how the NCAA will handle anything.
I can't believe I'm saying this, but I agree with Cut Nets.

Normally, I'd say nothing to see here. I am going say, if there is something to see, there's not a darn thing anyone can do about about it except waste key strokes. No point wringing your hands because they sell milk at the grocery that someone might spill.

We're talking the NCAA here. The most random of all number generators. They are liable to declare the whole team ineligible. Even if they don't you aren't out of the wood till the statute of limitations runs out. Frankly, as squirrely as those guys are, it wouldn't surprise me to see them accuse Adam and Eve of some vague recruiting violation involving giving apples to recruits. Do I think Skal is safe? Naw, but I don't think he is at any more risk than anyone else on the team from that mess of fools that is the NCAA.

Do I think the NCAA is out to get us? Nope, that's foolish too. I do think the NCAA is absolutely and utterly incompetent which gives them the appearance of bias. I also think they are a clear reflection of their leadership. We all know who that is, don't we Mr E.

Provable or not count me in that crowd that won't be totally confident until he's declared eligible. If the NCAA is going to screw any one young man we all know it'd be a UK basketball recruit. It just wouldn't shock me at all for them to let UNC slide, but not Skal because his handler made a few questionable inquiries.

Provable or not count me in that crowd that won't be totally confident until he's declared eligible..

You might as well worry about Briscoe, Murray, and Matthews as far as eligibility too. They all have the same chance as Skal in terms of playing according to the logic you used - i.e., the NCAA is out to get UK.

You might as well worry about Briscoe, Murray, and Matthews as far as eligibility too. They all have the same chance as Skal in terms of playing according to the logic you used - i.e., the NCAA is out to get UK.

I mean you really don't think the NCAA has any kind of bias against Cal and UK? None what-so-ever?

Normally, I'd say nothing to see here. I am going say, if there is something to see, there's not a darn thing anyone can do about about it except waste key strokes. No point wringing your hands because they sell milk at the grocery that someone might spill.

We're talking the NCAA here. The most random of all number generators. They are liable to declare the whole team ineligible. Even if they don't you aren't out of the wood till the statute of limitations runs out. Frankly, as squirrely as those guys are, it wouldn't surprise me to see them accuse Adam and Eve of some vague recruiting violation involving giving apples to recruits. Do I think Skal is safe? Naw, but I don't think he is at any more risk than anyone else on the team from that mess of fools that is the NCAA.

Do I think the NCAA is out to get us? Nope, that's foolish too. I do think the NCAA is absolutely and utterly incompetent which gives them the appearance of bias. I also think they are a clear reflection of their leadership. We all know who that is, don't we Mr E.

I agree with you thinking.

I mean you really don't think the NCAA has any kind of bias against Cal and UK? None what-so-ever?

Some people within the NCAA probably dislike Calipari, but I think the idea of a witch hunt at this point in Cal's career might be far-fetched. At any rate, when one considers the suspensions given to various players over the last five years, can you recall any incidents where the NCAA acted without at least some plausible evidence? We've seen them stretch the mess out of their evidence in many cases - including the Rose situation- but they still had some form of evidence from which to maneuver.

Some people within the NCAA probably dislike Calipari, but I think the idea of a witch hunt at this point in Cal's career might be far-fetched. At any rate, when one considers the suspensions given to various players over the last five years, can you recall any incidents where the NCAA acted without at least some plausible evidence? We've seen them stretch the mess out of their evidence in many cases - including the Rose situation- but they still had some form of evidence from which to maneuver.

"Some people"? Emmert has all but simply said that he hates Cal. I'd love to believe in the NCAA like you do, but they have simply proven otherwise far too often. Clearing a kid only to retro-actively rule him ineligible and then make a school and team pay the penalty for that is incredible. There are far too many examples of NCAA bias' to have any argument what-so-ever that they don't go on witch hunts. I agree that Cal might not be under the microscope that he was when he first arrived, but they've made it clear on one too many occasions (Kanter, etc) that they love to stick the needle. To believe in the NCAA at all is setting yourself up for major disappointment and quite frankly ignorant (and I mean that in the nicest way possible)

I have never understood why so many are acting like this is something to be seriously worried about.

I'm not taking up for the whiners on here at all but I am simply concerned because of the magnitude of the situation and the ramifications if he is ruled ineligible. People can say that there won't be a problem and that nobody should be concerned and that all may be true if we were dealing with an organization that had ethics and guidelines used in making their decisions but how many times have we seen a ruling handed down and be completely shocked by their thinking, left shaking our heads in disbelief? It happens all the time with the NCAA and there is no consistency in how they rule. So, that's what I am concerned about in this situation. Now, I don't pretend to know the exact situation of Skal and only know what I have seen on here and other sites during his recruitment but I do know there were concerns about him getting eligible no matter what school he chose. There were many on here who thought we should (and did) back off of recruiting him because of these problems and was surprised when he did suddenly commit. Now, a lot of those same folks are saying not to worry about Skal.
I'm just concerned because we are dealing with the NCAA and that speaks for itself. Its not like we are dealing with just a Top 100 recruit, we are talking about the top player in the class and that's why people are concerned. Is it warranted? I guess we will find out.

The NCAA would no more single out UK than the current administration would single out the Tea Party via the IRS.

I seriously, seriously doubt anthing will come of it. But rest assured, if it does, it will be after we have won the title so they can say he was ineligible for all the games.

I don't know anything about Skal's benefits. They haven't cleared Diallo yet either.

I know Alexander's mom broke the rules last year and the kid sat.

Punish the kid for parent's decisions. Punish the kid for "handlers" decisions. NOT punish the kid(s), the coach, parents, or the school FOR TWO DECADES OF CLEAR AND DOCUMENTED ACADEMIC FRAUD!!!???

Please join me in saying "**** the NCAA WITH A HAMMER".

As long as Duke wins and UNC has a chance to win, all is well.

To believe in the NCAA at all is setting yourself up for major disappointment and quite frankly ignorant (and I mean that in the nicest way possible)

I don't believe in the NCAA. I just believe it would set new precedent to come after Skal based on what we have heard in terms of potential violations. They'd have to produce a paper trail in the same manner they did with Boatright, Wall, Selby and other athletes who were suspended early in a season.

Could they still come for Skal? Sure, but I think it would be a reach, and they could have reached on Noel, Bledsoe, and Davis had they wanted to.

Reactions: CUT-NETS
I don't believe in the NCAA. I just believe it would set new precedent to come after Skal based on what we have heard in terms of potential violations. They'd have to produce a paper trail in the same manner they did with Boatright, Wall, Selby and other athletes who were suspended early in a season.

Could they still come for Skal? Sure, but I think it would be a reach, and they could have reached on Noel, Bledsoe, and Davis had they wanted to.

Let's see....as for Bledsoe, his transcript was leaked. Then, we read an article in which NCAA employees say that the NCAA illegally released transcripts! hmmmmmmm......

As for Noel, a NY Times writer is clearly being fed confidential info on his eligibility issues. Didn't that same writer also misrepresent the situation with Kanter?

ADVERTISEMENT