ADVERTISEMENT

Cal says '16 class could be best ever

Noteworthy he thinks Ulis jumps, or might jump.
Calipari said he could have five or six players who go in the NBA draft next season: Alex Poythress, who's returning from a knee injury, plus Ulis, center Marcus Lee, and newcomers Murray, Briscoe and Skal Labissiere, who could be a top pick (although LSU newcomer Ben Simmons is the projected favorite for that honor next year

Noteworthy he thinks Ulis jumps, or might jump.
Calipari said he could have five or six players who go in the NBA draft next season: Alex Poythress, who's returning from a knee injury, plus Ulis, center Marcus Lee, and newcomers Murray, Briscoe and Skal Labissiere, who could be a top pick (although LSU newcomer Ben Simmons is the projected favorite for that honor next year

That's not surprising to me. Ulis has no intention of being at UK for four years. He came here to achieve his dream of playing NBA and doing well in college.

If he plays 30+ minutes, there will be a lot of hype for him even when he is undersized. He is a baller, and everyone loves him.

He also said Poy will be playing the FOUR!

And he said he might play 3 guards sometimes.. definitely has other ideas than many of us here.. as to lineups. Briscoe sits?

jI9VnVD.gif

So, no one mentioned it...

But Coach Cal said if his son comes, his wife said that Cal have to stay until Cal's boy graduates. So, if his son joins, at least 5 more season. Most IMPORTANT RECRUIT.

F YEAH....

He also said Poy will be playing the FOUR!

And he said he might play 3 guards sometimes.. definitely has other ideas than many of us here.. as to lineups. Briscoe sits?

IF he isn't playing 3 guards most of the time, he isn't putting his most talented players on the floor. Murray should win the small forward spot by default.........there is no one else

I can't remember a time in Cal's tenure when I've been more certain of a starting five - Poy, Skal, Murray, Ulis and Briscoe. I could obviously be wrong; it wouldn't be the first time. Mulder will be first off the bench, followed by Lee. Then, Matthews sparingly. We play 7.5 people, like in 2012.

Trying to PR kids to pick UK. Duke in drivers seat for Giles and Smith makin them with the best class...maybe all time if the hype of these is real.

We are in on many guards, need some really good big men like Giles. Perhaps Ayton can be that guy with a reclass.

Trying to PR kids to pick UK. Duke in drivers seat for Giles and Smith makin them with the best class...maybe all time if the hype of these is real.

We are in on many guards, need some really good big men like Giles. Perhaps Ayton can be that guy with a reclass.

I think Cal seeing that he may need a new roster of 7 or so recruits, so if Duke gets those 3 top players and we get 7 players that are in the top 20 (because there are that many good ones out there) then 7 top 20 players is better than 3 top 6 or 7 players. Now Duke would have the better team because if they only need to sign 3 then that means that they kept some talent from the team they have this year, but recruiting class wise Cal is probably right in saying it could be his best class ever.

Reactions: hotelblue
To me getting a PG to commit early this year will be the hardest recruiting job for Cal so far. You have to sell Fox, Smith etc. that all three PG's will leave or Briscoe or Ulis stays and they can play together. It will be very interesting to see what these PG's do.

I can't remember a time in Cal's tenure when I've been more certain of a starting five - Poy, Skal, Murray, Ulis and Briscoe. I could obviously be wrong; it wouldn't be the first time. Mulder will be first off the bench, followed by Lee. Then, Matthews sparingly. We play 7.5 people, like in 2012.

Well, Matthews ain't playing sparingly. He will challenge for starters minutes.

Reactions: ksharpless
IF he isn't playing 3 guards most of the time, he isn't putting his most talented players on the floor. Murray should win the small forward spot by default.........there is no one else

I agree fellas, just reporting on what he said.

"We will go back to the DDO"

"We may press more (man up on the ball earlier)"

"I could play three (guards) at one time if I want..."

10 minute mark.

You should understand coach speak. Cal said Poy's playing the 4 in the same segment, so let's deduct here. If Poy plays the four, who plays the 3? Cal will use three guards when it's all said and done. He's just expanding his hand publically.

While I agree that pretty much everything Cal says is for PR, Duke ain't leadin for Smith

So, no one mentioned it...

But Coach Cal said if his son comes, his wife said that Cal have to stay until Cal's boy graduates. So, if his son joins, at least 5 more season. Most IMPORTANT RECRUIT.

F YEAH....

No ish. That was my favorite part. Come on down Brad.

No way will dukes class be the best ever. No.

Everyone and their mother says NC State is a virtual lock. I have no inside info but that's the word.

I heard that combo of he and Bam may go to State but why?

CJ Leslie, the last 5 star they had went undrafted.

Rodney Purvis, their next highest recruit, still playing for UConn...

Lorenzo Brown went second round and has bounced around with the Springfield Armor and Grand Rapids Drive...

Ryan Harrow transferred out...

What could they possibly see that I can't?

This guy?

image1.jpg

Last edited:
I heard that combo of he and Bam may go to State but why?

CJ Leslie, the last 5 star they had went undrafted.

Rodney Purvis, their next highest recruit, still playing for UConn...

Lorenzo Brown went second round and has bounced around with the Springfield Armor and Grand Rapids Drive...

Ryan Harrow transferred out...

What could they possibly see that I can't?

This guy?

image1.jpg

Let's not piss off the State fans but agree.

I hate to bring up shoe affiliations but is State and Adidas school? Cause in NC that's the rumor hear. Dennis Smith Sr was given Team Loaded NC with a generous summer budget. As a Wake fan we have our fingers crossed that we can get Harry and he can convince Smith Jr to come on down.

That's not surprising to me. Ulis has no intention of being at UK for four years. He came here to achieve his dream of playing NBA and doing well in college.

If he plays 30+ minutes, there will be a lot of hype for him even when he is undersized. He is a baller, and everyone loves him.

And Ulis does not benefit from returning another year. His draft stock has a low ceiling. He's 5'8, he will never be a first round pick. I think most likely he's two and gone. Fans need to quit assuming players return based on a second round draft projection. If this past year doesn't teach you that then I don't know what will.

I don't think it's a problem either way. Either Ulis is gone and there are tons of minutes open or Ulis stays but the others leave and the three PG thing clearly worked really well, so the guys are going to see that they can all coexist.

Or, it fails and two of them are back next year and we don't need a PG anyway. I don't see it being an issue. Very little chance that it's wildly successful and yet no one commits to play the point for John Calipari, leaving us with a void there. Not going to happen.

Reactions: UKCATSFREAK
Still can't help but think the John Wall factor could help us with Smith, Jr.

I love swaggy Cal. I'm also perfectly okay with DSJ and Adebayo to NC State. Its better than seeing DSJ at Duke or both to UNC.

I've grown to like NCState anyway, they're the "po' boy", everyman North Carolina counterpoint to the elitist arrogant sh!ts at UNC and Duke. Go Wolfpack!

Reactions: brianpoe
I'm sorry but I cant see Dennis Smith Jr going to NC State. He's a superstar. Why the hell would he want to go to NC State. He should and probably does wanna go to a powerhouse team like UK, Duke, or UNC. I'd bet he don't go to NC State.

Also, by the way, Jim Valvano was an awesome human being. In the same stratosphere as either Dean Smith or Coach K.

I'm sorry but I cant see Dennis Smith Jr going to NC State. He's a superstar. Why the hell would he want to go to NC State. He should and probably does wanna go to a powerhouse team like UK, Duke, or UNC. I'd bet he don't go to NC State.

You will probably lose that bet.

Reactions: KYtotheCore
Great that Cal has confidence, and is talking up the program, but we all know several of those guys are known, or at least thought to be leaning in another direction, specifically towards Duke. He won't get them all, he knows that, but he'll get some, enough I would think for another great class. Whether it will be his best ever we'll just have to wait and see. That bar is set pretty darn high.

$1,000, right now?

No lol, but I cant understand why he'd want to go there. I just keep thinking he'll change his mind eventually if he is in fact leaning toward NC State. But I was was wrong about Newman. I couldn't believe he went to Mississippi St. even when it came out that he was in the days leading up to the announcement.

He's not leaning towards NC State, he's going to NC State. Sometimes it's about stuff other than basketball, this is one of those times.

I would take Fox's commitment right now and run..Get Alkins and Monk or Monk and Fultz and you have some true scorers. This is a hell of a class.. Would like to get Azubuike as we could use some beef under the basket. He is a player too.

Reactions: brianpoe
ADVERTISEMENT