ADVERTISEMENT

Cal quote that has me worried.

At the SF position? You should be.[/QUOTE]

How about we worry about things like this once they are a problem... The reality is Cal will play the guys who are most effective, he's also gone on record as saying he wants to play Poy at the 4 and was much more direct about that.

I'm pretty sure Cal's offense has been fine overall. I don't look at any of UK's losses and blame it squarely on one thing, just like the 192 wins in 6 years have not been due to just one thing.

On the importance of adding Jamal Murray and what kind of lineup flexibility he gives UK: “Well, you know I’ve played all kind of different times, whether it’s smaller teams, bigger teams, longer teams. He is a playmaking guard who can play 1 or 2 and can really score the ball. Great in pick and rolls. Can play with Tyler or you could play three guards at times if you chose to do that. But it’s hard to say you’re gonna do that when you have the bigs that we have in Skal, Marcus and Alex if he’s healthy, along with Charles and Mychal. All of the sudden you have Dom and you have Derek, you have a — we have a good team. I mean, we’re like, ‘Let’s start playing. Let’s throw it up.’ ”

All of us already assume we;re gonna have a 3-guard starting lineup, which is the best route to go with our roster, but his words make me think he'll do it situationally & we may see Poy at his worst position.

The offense has so much potential to be fun & efficient with PG trio of ours dominating the minutes. I'd seriously get annoyed if Cal continues to show his lack of offensive creativity by choosing to have 1 of the guards come off the bench.

This doesn't worry anyone a slight bit?

Why should you worry about anything Cal says? Don't you realize we have the best coach in college basketball? Read that last sentence again and think about what you posted. Chill out and let Cal do what he does best, which is coach these kids up.

Since this entire thread is just pure speculation. How about why is it set in stone that Ulis will be the starting PG? I love the kid but he at times gets abused by larger guards. PG Briscoe, 2G Murray, SF Mathews or Muldur , Center Skal, and PF Poythress would seem a more typical Cal lineup.

Before someone goes postal remember I said speculation. I really think Ulis starts at the point. I however do not think Cal will hesitate to pull him if big guards are abusing him on the defensive end,

I would take any thing that Cal says this time of year with a grain of salt. He likes being in the limelight and sometimes talks just to hear the sound of his own voice.

I'll be worried when he says he's gonna start Ulis at center. Till then, I'll just laugh at the silly hand wringing from comments like the original post on this thread.

I'm "worried" about pace, not lineups. I'm sure Cal will play the best players the most minutes, but he's gotta speed the game up. We now have the weapons to do it.

I'd say the only guaranteed starters are Ulis, Murray and Skal. He'll figure it out.

I, personally, would love to see a line-up of Ulis, Murray (or Briscoe) Poythress, Lee and Skal on the floor at times. potentially suffocating on defense, potentially great rebounding team, and with plenty of offensive firepower.

To imagine how it might be, re-watch the UK-Michigan game from the 2014 tournament. Everyone remembers Lee picking off and jamming passes from penetrating guards. But Poythress had a couple similar plays. With Ulis getting into the paint at will, and Murray creating as well, the seams might be wide open for Lee and Poythress to attack the basket.

I think Cal has already told us what his vision is when he said he was interested in basketball players, not positions. I think you'll see eight players (as long as Mulder is as good as advertised) coming at opponents in a bewildering array of styles and alignments. Ulis will probably get 35 minutes. Skal and Murray 30. The other five players -- Poythress, Lee, Briscoe, Matthews and Mulder -- averaging between 25-15.

I wouldn't say the lineup with ULis, Briscoe/ Murray, Alex, Lee, and Skal has plenty of offensive firepower. I would love to see Ulis, Murray, Mulder. Alex, and Skal as our starters. I think that lineup would be would be very hard to stop and really good defensively too. This is actually the lineup that I see Cal going with, at least for the start of the season. Alex will obviously play the 3 at times but with it being his last year, I bet Cal keeps him at the 4 as much as he can this year. He knows that is Alex's position in the pros.

giphy.gif

that's perfect - Dog Day Afternoon stress - Sonny with his M1 carbine - Aticca!, Attica!

Since this entire thread is just pure speculation. How about why is it set in stone that Ulis will be the starting PG? I love the kid but he at times gets abused by larger guards. PG Briscoe, 2G Murray, SF Mathews or Muldur , Center Skal, and PF Poythress would seem a more typical Cal lineup.

Before someone goes postal remember I said speculation. I really think Ulis starts at the point. I however do not think Cal will hesitate to pull him if big guards are abusing him on the defensive end,

I would take any thing that Cal says this time of year with a grain of salt. He likes being in the limelight and sometimes talks just to hear the sound of his own voice.
Maybe because Cal told Tyler Ulis that this is HIS team. Think that may be the reason he'll be starting?

In the summer of 2011, Cal said that Wiltjer was amazing and MKG had work to do. This is what he does.

On the importance of adding Jamal Murray and what kind of lineup flexibility he gives UK: “Well, you know I’ve played all kind of different times, whether it’s smaller teams, bigger teams, longer teams. He is a playmaking guard who can play 1 or 2 and can really score the ball. Great in pick and rolls. Can play with Tyler or you could play three guards at times if you chose to do that. But it’s hard to say you’re gonna do that when you have the bigs that we have in Skal, Marcus and Alex if he’s healthy, along with Charles and Mychal. All of the sudden you have Dom and you have Derek, you have a — we have a good team. I mean, we’re like, ‘Let’s start playing. Let’s throw it up.’ ”

All of us already assume we;re gonna have a 3-guard starting lineup, which is the best route to go with our roster, but his words make me think he'll do it situationally & we may see Poy at his worst position.

The offense has so much potential to be fun & efficient with PG trio of ours dominating the minutes. I'd seriously get annoyed if Cal continues to show his lack of offensive creativity by choosing to have 1 of the guards come off the bench.

This doesn't worry anyone a slight bit?

[sick]:flush:[sick]:flush:

I know.

Pretty amazing to think how much MORE success he could've had if he actually had some offensive chops.

You're on a roll again tonight, its harsh but not everyone agrees with you but you keep on bashing you do it well. Could you be Billy G? lol

Really hope Cal has given up on the poythress at 3 experiment. He thrives at the 4...looks totally out of place at the 3.

Jeez...be careful or people might think you're paranoid. Coach Cal was giving an answer about a recruit in an interview, nothing more. As Coach Cal has stated several times in the past, he doesn't put together a lineup in the traditional sense - he doesn't subscribe to the traditional ideal of a 1,2,3,4,&5. He'll put five big guys in there if he thought it gave him the best chance at winning the game. He knows what he's planning on doing. It's obvious that he sold Jamal Murray on playing 30+ minutes a game and also told him that he was going to handle the ball. Of course, he also told that to Briscoe and he famously told Ulis after the Final Four loss that next seasons team will be his team to run. It is obvious to me (and most everyone else) that Cal intends to play a 3-guard lineup, there's no way around it really. I mean, what lineup, other than Ulis, Briscoe, Murray, Poythress, and Labissiere, makes more sense? You've got 5'-10, 6'-3, 6'-5, 6'-8, & 7'-0. That's a traditional college basketball lineup (not to mention 4, if not 5 guys who could be playing in the NBA next season) and Cal plans to exploit the fact that three of the players can rotate over to the 1. It will make the team super dynamic and tough to guard. That being said, he wants those three guys to be hungry too. Why would he tell the press that he plans to run a 3-guard offense right out of the gate, effectively letting those three guys know that they are automatic 30 minutes a night guys? He wants them to work for it and for there to be some kind of lingering doubt in there, so that they'll keep their edge. It's smart coach speak, nothing more.

Cal worries me. Sort of like having won the lottery would worry me.

Is it possible to have too much money and too many five stars? Yes, but only at UK fan sites.

ADVERTISEMENT